KISS - AllState Arena 11/27/2023

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

KISS - AllState Arena 11/27/2023

Post by Anthrax442 »

Just a few notes from the show:

1) I'd only ever seen KISS before one time, April 18th, 2000 in Columbia, SC. This was ironically on what was being billed as the "Farewell Tour", and I guess it was for the original lineup. It was a decent enough show, but it was held at the Carolina Coliseum/Frank McGuire Arena, which was kind of a dump, even by 2000 standards. I almost didn't go because somehow my ex had thrown away the tickets, so I ended up buying another one for myself and going alone. Frehley and Criss showed that they didn't belong on stage with Gene and Paul, and I'm actually impressed that they kept that lineup together for another year or so. Ted Nugent's band blew them out of the water.

2) Being that this was probably their last tour, I figured I should go see them one last time, so I waited until the last minute and picked up a ticket on SeatGeek. Ended up getting a seat third row straight back in the first raised section, about 15 feet from the "second" stage, and it was definitely more than I wanted to pay, but the show was also completely sold out, so there weren't a whole lot of options.

3) Got to the arena a little late due to google giving me a wrong turn on the interstate, and then again, parking was a shit show because of how full the arena was. Got to my seat I think a song into Amber Wild's set. They were...fine, I guess. The last song they played was decent. David Lee Roth would have been 1,000x better, and I'm still pissed that Covid fucked that up. One thing though, for the eventual KISS touring company that will replace KISS, there's no way in hell Evan is replacing Paul. He can't sing. Decent guitarist, though, so maybe he could play the Spaceman role. Also, their sound sucked, and it magically got better when KISS went on, so that didn't help matters. Evan mentioned on stage that they had only been together like a month, and honestly, that's what they looked like, four completely different musicians just thrown together randomly.

4) The hour wait between Amber Wild going off and KISS going on was a bit much. I know there was probably a decent amount of setup to be done, but DAMN. Fans started doing the wave about 45 minutes in because they were so bored.

5) There's no comparison between Paul and DLR in the effeminate scale, and had DLR still been opening, that would have shown. DLR is a hyperactive kid looking for attention, Paul looked like he should be on a drag queen show.

6) Ace has to be the biggest moron to ever live, and Tommy Thayer struck gold. There were plenty of times during the show, not just in the solo spots, where the focus was clearly on Tommy taking center stage, Gene and Paul clearly didn't mind letting him run with things.

7) From the main stage, the show seems totally live, but when Paul came out to the second stage, Love Gun at least seemed totally lip synced, with a few times where Paul wasn't next to a mic, but his vocals were still coming out during a chorus.

8) As far as deeper cuts go, "Say Yeah" went over like a lead balloon, even though they tried to get the crowd participation piece going, but people went nuts for "Makin' Love". If they were going to play something newer, they really should have done "Modern Day Delilah" or "Hell or Hallelujah"

9) From a stage show perspective, it's probably the best production I've ever seen. The only shows I can even think of to compare it to would be Motley on the Carnival of Sins tour, or Pink Floyd on the Pulse tour. When the Alice Coopers/Motleys/KISSs of the world are gone, I really wonder who's going to be doing those crazy presentations from a Rock perspective anymore, or maybe it's only going to be Pop acts from now on like Taylor Swift and Beyonce.

10) Paul mentioned at least three times that this was going to be their last show in Chicago, but the merch leaned heavily into the "LAST TOUR EVER", definitely leaving an opening for residencies and such. Also mentioned they had only played Chicago 28 times in 50 years, which seemed low.

Overall, I'm very glad I went, and say what you will about the band, I think they're going to be missed.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
Wednesday 13 Fan
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: KISS - AllState Arena 11/27/2023

Post by Wednesday 13 Fan »

Nice to see that they actually showed up.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

I saw KISS three times at the Rosemont Horizon/Allstate Arena during the 1996 reunion tour. Before that, I drove out to Moline at the last minute, bought a ticket off some janitor or custodian dude, and saw half the show there. Was also at the NYE show at the Meadowlands.

Glad you had fun. I have no desire to see KISS anymore, but I associate the old Horizon with a lot of good times.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

Mister Freeze wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:13 am I saw KISS three times at the Rosemont Horizon/Allstate Arena during the 1996 reunion tour. Before that, I drove out to Moline at the last minute, bought a ticket off some janitor or custodian dude, and saw half the show there. Was also at the NYE show at the Meadowlands.

Glad you had fun. I have no desire to see KISS anymore, but I associate the old Horizon with a lot of good times.
For some reason, calling AllState Arena by that name instead of the Rosemont Horizon annoys me more than Willis Tower, Sears Tower. No idea why.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Anthrax442 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:50 am "Say Yeah" went over like a lead balloon, even though they tried to get the crowd participation piece going,

As mentioned in another thread, any song with a sole Paul Stanley writing credit is going to get more activity than it deserves.

I like "Say Yeah," but at this point, if anyone recognizes it, it's because they keep hearing it in concert, not because they're avid listeners of Sonic Boom.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Tymaster
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tymaster »

Indy two nights before was final and 26th show. I saw 4 shows on the "Farewell Tour" and 2 others on this one, but this definitely felt like it was goodbye. Tonight in Baltimore is basically the last regular show as I don't believe there are openers or sound check shows at MSG. FWIW, I bought a cheap ass ticket to the actual concert in Indy and splurged the $250 on the soundcheck. Coolest KISS related thing I've done since the 1995 Conventions where they played unplugged.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
Whatever Happened To…
Headlining Clubs

Post by Whatever Happened To… »

Anthrax442 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:50 am there's no way in hell Evan is replacing Paul. He can't sing.
Sounds like he'd be perfect.
IREEKOFAWESUMNES
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by IREEKOFAWESUMNES »

did they have any merch unique to that SPECIFIC show/date a la Maiden? im curious if theyll have any for the final 2 msg shows

and i assume youve never seen rammstein given your 'production' comments at #9, bc they make kiss look like a bunch of tired old men with sparklers
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

IREEKOFAWESUMNES wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:10 pm did they have any merch unique to that SPECIFIC show/date a la Maiden? im curious if theyll have any for the final 2 msg shows

and i assume youve never seen rammstein given your 'production' comments at #9, bc they make kiss look like a bunch of tired old men with sparklers
They didn' t make any event specific shirts for 2024 other than MSG. They did make "Final 50 Countdown" or whatever shirts for this run.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

IREEKOFAWESUMNES wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:10 pm did they have any merch unique to that SPECIFIC show/date a la Maiden? im curious if theyll have any for the final 2 msg shows

Yeah, I know Rammstein is known for having a lot of pyro, and to your point, I've never seen them live (not really a fan), but I think the thing about how/why the KISS show worked so well, is because it was a combination of everything, the lights, the platforms, the pyro, the confetti and balloons at the end to really make it seem like a giant party, the multiple moving platforms, it really was the whole package.

And no, no venue specific merch, at least that I saw. By the time I got to the merch stand at the end of the night, they were sold out of the shirt I wanted in my size, so ended up just ordering it when I got home. Honestly, from a merch perspective, it wasn't that expansive, I think King's X might have had more different shirts for sale when I saw them earlier this year.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

Anthrax442 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:18 pm

Yeah, I know Rammstein is known for having a lot of pyro, and to your point, I've never seen them live (not really a fan), but I think the thing about how/why the KISS show worked so well, is because it was a combination of everything, the lights, the platforms, the pyro, the confetti and balloons at the end to really make it seem like a giant party, the multiple moving platforms, it really was the whole package.

And no, no venue specific merch, at least that I saw. By the time I got to the merch stand at the end of the night, they were sold out of the shirt I wanted in my size, so ended up just ordering it when I got home. Honestly, from a merch perspective, it wasn't that expansive, I think King's X might have had more different shirts for sale when I saw them earlier this year.
I saw all the tours from 88 until today and this last leg pulled out all of the stops. To clarify, the EOTR tour has had 3 - 4 different stages since 2019. Some bigger, some smaller, some a tad different...for this last bit of North America they essentially threw all of the various effects in the truck and used it all so even if you saw one of the very first shows in January of 2019, you haven't seen all of this because some of these effects were added later on to replace other things but it's ALL here. For my money, the coolest stages they ever did were 1990 and 1992 but this current tour is a whopper. Definitely the biggest production they've ever drug around.
RaceFan3
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by RaceFan3 »

Mister Freeze wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:13 am I saw KISS three times at the Rosemont Horizon/Allstate Arena during the 1996 reunion tour.

I saw two of those 96 Reunion shows at the Horizon. Absolutely awesome and to this day one of the loudest/most excited crowds I've ever seen at a concert. Saw the 2000 Farewell show there too, which was also great, but they were really on fire during those early Reunion shows.
*I kinda want a new screenname. Seriously. I barely watch racing anymore. :x
EyeDocOfRock

Post by EyeDocOfRock »

I was also at this show at AllState Arena on Monday night….

I certainly agree that the stage show was second to none ….

However the highlight of the evening for me was while waiting in line for the doors to open , I saw CHIP Z NUFF roaming around the parking lot like hoping people would notice HIM at this KISS concert … he walked around and around the parking lot and not one person approached him !!!! And he was in his CHIP Z NUFF clothing and hat !!! We got a huge laugh outta watching him roam around the parking lot while we were waiting to get in the arena !
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

EyeDocOfRock wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:01 am However the highlight of the evening for me was while waiting in line for the doors to open , I saw CHIP Z NUFF roaming around the parking lot like hoping people would notice HIM at this KISS concert … he walked around and around the parking lot and not one person approached him !!!! And he was in his CHIP Z NUFF clothing and hat !!! We got a huge laugh outta watching him roam around the parking lot while we were waiting to get in the arena !
In TWENTY DEGREE WEATHER?!? How desperate can you be? Was Mancow with him in one of those ridiculous fur coats?
EyeDocOfRock

Post by EyeDocOfRock »

Anthrax442 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:03 am
EyeDocOfRock wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:01 am However the highlight of the evening for me was while waiting in line for the doors to open , I saw CHIP Z NUFF roaming around the parking lot like hoping people would notice HIM at this KISS concert … he walked around and around the parking lot and not one person approached him !!!! And he was in his CHIP Z NUFF clothing and hat !!! We got a huge laugh outta watching him roam around the parking lot while we were waiting to get in the arena !
In TWENTY DEGREE WEATHER?!? How desperate can you be? Was Mancow with him in one of those ridiculous fur coats?

No we waited in the heated car right by the East Gate doors for awhile … once they opened the doors to let people in and the line was getting shorter we got out of the heated car !!!!

No signs of Mancow or his goofy fur coat !
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

EyeDocOfRock wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:40 pm

No we waited in the heated car right by the East Gate doors for awhile … once they opened the doors to let people in and the line was getting shorter we got out of the heated car !!!!

No signs of Mancow or his goofy fur coat !
Sorry, that was worded goofy. I was calling Chip desperate. ;)
That-guy
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by That-guy »

I was there too. Saw Chip on the screen during the show. Dude always has to be in costume. So desperate for attention. :lol: