HAVE YOU EVER ... Waited in line for a Concert? To Buy tix? For a Autograph signing? Parade? Other?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

HAVE YOU EVER ... Waited in line for a Concert? To Buy tix? For a Autograph signing? Parade? Other?

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

Well...

Oddly, I have never done this... ever...

Even back at 18, and becoming obsessed with concerts, I never found standing in line for 2 days reasonable.

Besides, I worked... always had jobs, etc...

Who the F#@k stands or sleeps outside over-night, for 1-2-3 days, to buy tix, see a show, watch a parade or other?

Don't these people have jobs? A life?

Ready, Set, Sludge!

$tEvil
KISSRULES06
Headlining a Theater Tour

Re: HAVE YOU EVER ... Waited in line for a Concert? To Buy tix? For a Autograph signing? Parade? Other?

Post by KISSRULES06 »

Day I graduated high school KISS was touring record stores for ALIVE 3. I had my cap and gown on, my old man took me from the ceremony directly to Cavages record store at the McKinley Mall in Hamburg NY. The line was ridic., the local DJ Horny Bob was doin a remote and saw me, asked why I was in a cap n gown. He then brought me to the front of the line where I got to meet the band, got a signed pic and kudos from Paul Stanley and Bruce Kulick on graduating! It was awesome and probably one of the nicest things anyone could do for me.
Spongie
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Re: HAVE YOU EVER ... Waited in line for a Concert? To Buy tix? For a Autograph signing? Parade? Other?

Post by Spongie »

Absolutely not. I won’t even wait “about 10 minutes” for a table at a restaurant.

Anyone remember when TicketMaster tried to stop people from camping out for days on end by switching to a lottery system? They handed out numbers at a set time to everyone at the counter. Then randomly selected numbers to set the line order.

I did that a few times. Figured we all had the same shot as long as we were there by like 10am.
Last edited by Spongie on Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElectrickMagick
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by ElectrickMagick »

On the first Heaven and Hell (Did Sabbath) reunion tour I got the venue in Detroit an hour early so my friends and I could get a spot right next to the stage (the floor seats were all GA). We didn't want an incredibly long time, we found a backdoor at Cobo Hall that no one else was standing by were among the first to get in.

In the 90s I did get in line for tickets early a couple of times. I'm way too lazy to camp out, but I remember getting to Dillard's or wherever we were buying our tickets an hour or two before they opened to stand in line for Page/Plant and Beastie Boys tix. Back in those days tickets always went on sale on Saturdays, so it wasn't too big of a hassle, as long as my hangover wasn't horrible that morning.
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

My friend and I slept in his Mach I Mustang on the streets of Oakland the night before a Day On The Green...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

Waited for concert tickets many times growing up.

The one I’ll always remember is outside Irvine Meadows in mid-1996 for the STP show which was on November 8. I was 12 at the time. Weiland had just gotten busted (again), and I remember the Ticketmaster dude giving the show details and that it would occur on November 8 “unless the singer suffers some sort of relapse.”

The show was amazing. I got a VHS copy of someone’s camcorder recording from the Recycler, and that video of the show is now on YouTube.

Only time I can recall waiting in line for an autograph was Dream Theater in 1998 before their Universal Amp show when they were touring with ELP and Deep Purple.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Waited in line to see a guitar clinic from Dave Mustaine at Guitar Center in Hollywood, once. Other than that, I can’t think of anything music-related other than waiting in line to get into the actual show.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
Playboyliquor59
Recording Debut Album

Post by Playboyliquor59 »

I’m 35 but in the late 90s early 2000s I remember going to the local record store and lining up for tickets and the Ticketmaster machine would spit out random seats. You could purchase them by phone but I remember waiting forever to get a person on the line. Scottie’s records in nj. This was for bigger amphitheater shows of course
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:21 pm Waited for concert tickets many times growing up.
Yep. It's what you did in the pre-Internet days.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Einstein Lawless
Having Slaughter Open for You

Post by Einstein Lawless »

Had to think for a minute…
Last time I waited in line for concert tickets was for Chevelle in 01 or 02. That was an afternoon radio promo. All the tix were comp and you had wait in line. Oh and they ran out before my turn😖.

Last time I waited in line from like midnight to 7 (when they gave out numbers) was either Creed / Sevendust/ and pre SSU Nickleback or Roger Waters in the late 90s.

I waited in a Black Friday line exactly once. Fuck that.

And like another post read, I’ve yet to find a restaurant worth waiting >10 minutes for.
Physician, kill Thyself- Danzig in the Dark

Stryper have a better shot at getting into Hell than the HOF.- The Stench.

You people are so burnt out on your own culture that you can't even talk about it intelligibly anymore.- Funz
DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Yep! Gun n Roses and Metallica show. They were playing Williams Brice Stadium (U of South Carolina).

Tickets were going on sale early Saturday morning. This was pre-internet. There was a Record Bar located in the middle of all the college bars. Columbia,SC served booze until 4 am.

Buddy and I got hammered until 4. Stumbled to the Record Bar. Passed out in front of the door.

Woke up when the employees arrived. Massive line behind us.

Got 6th row, dead center tix.

Faith No More opened…sucked.

Metallica killed. GnR came on 1.5 hours after Metallica ended. Remember them being pretty good.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
James_Addiction
Pimping Your Demo At Shows

Post by James_Addiction »

I lived in Los Angeles. Back in the late 1970's and the 1980's when a big concert went on sale, I never waited in line. I would call Ticketmaster in New York and get prime seats all the time, sports events also. That little secret ended with the computer - internet technology.
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

I waited in line at a Star Trek convention for an autograph when I was a teenager.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
Bob Sacamano
Headlining Clubs

Post by Bob Sacamano »

I waited in line about four hours buy a ticket to see Metallica at the metro in Chicago in 2021
"I don't have any beliefs or allegiances. I don't believe in this country, I don't believe in religion, or a god, and I don't believe in all these man-made institutional ideas"

-- George Carlin
Blumpkin King
Headlining Clubs

Post by Blumpkin King »

GreatWhiteSnake wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:06 pm My friend and I slept in his Mach I Mustang on the streets of Oakland the night before a Day On The Green...
Well if you were anywhere near the actual stadium (on East 14th, Hegenberger, etc) and spent the night in a nice car I congratulate you for still being alive.
St_Augustines_Pears
Headlining Clubs

Post by St_Augustines_Pears »

Mojo wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:22 pm Waited in line to see a guitar clinic from Dave Mustaine at Guitar Center in Hollywood, once.
How was it?
"Moving on, is a simple thing...what it leaves behind is hard. You know the sleeping feel no more pain...and the living are all scarred." -- Megadeth's "A Tout Le Monde"
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Blumpkin King wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:51 pm
GreatWhiteSnake wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:06 pm My friend and I slept in his Mach I Mustang on the streets of Oakland the night before a Day On The Green...
Well if you were anywhere near the actual stadium (on East 14th, Hegenberger, etc) and spent the night in a nice car I congratulate you for still being alive.
We were but so were a bunch of other kids. I think we bought some bunk hash...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:43 pm
SterileEyes1 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:21 pm Waited for concert tickets many times growing up.
Yep. It's what you did in the pre-Internet days.

That and was specifically referring to waiting to buy tickets at the actual venue vs. just Ticketmaster at Tower Records or whatever we usually did back then.

Come to think of it, I have no idea why ticket onsales sometimes happened at the venue or what the purpose/advantage was of going there vs. a regular TM outlet?
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
GoodJudge
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by GoodJudge »

The only time I've waited in line for a show was when Megadeth played the Marquee for Kerrang!'s 10th anniversary in March '91. They were at Hammersmith Odeon on the regular tour, capacity about 3,500. The Marquee held about 7-800. I got there at about 6am and was no.200ish in the queue. Alice In Chains opened and I bought Facelift the very next day.

I just found some footage on YouTube from Headbangers Ball: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gMWZQTO9dXg

Went to some signing sessions around that time, but soon realised that they were lame.

I have a vague memory of queueing at Tower Records for some special late-night event when UYI was released. Might just have been a midnight sale, but whatever it was was obviously as forgettable as UYI.
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

Post by El Vampiro Blanco »

Only time I waited in line to get tickets was when Ozzy started his no more tears tour with some club shows.
I arrived about an half hour before the ticket agency opened and then had to wait maybe 15 minutes more to get my tickets for the Amsterdam show in Paradiso.
Day of the show scalpers were offering quite a lot of money for those tickets outside the building.
Grownup me now says I should have taken the money, LOL.
I heard the band do soundcheck with Zakk on vocals singing No More Beers......
Then the 3 of them left to get dinner at a Mexican place near the building.
Black Stuff
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Black Stuff »

Sure! Last time I went to a ticket sale for a show was Rush at Meadowlands arena back in the 80s. Waited all night in the freezung cold, was up front on line and still got shit seats. F that hahhaha
The power of Sludge compels you.
Darrien
Headlining Clubs

Post by Darrien »

Spongie wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:57 pm Absolutely not. I won’t even wait “about 10 minutes” for a table at a restaurant.

Anyone remember when TicketMaster tried to stop people from camping out for days on end by switching to a lottery system? They handed out numbers at a set time to everyone at the counter. Then randomly selected numbers to set the line order.

I did that a few times. Figured we all had the same shot as long as we were there by like 10am.
I worked at a music store that had a TM and I did the onsales; the lottery system fucking sucked, people that were there first would always argue about it. It was easier when people would just line up on first come, first served, basis.
Ticketmaster was shady even back then, you would see tickets start disappearing from the system well before the onsale time. So even the first few people in line never got anything great, the rest would be lucky to get lawn seats or upper 200's depending on the venue.
Dayman...fighter of the Nightman..
kytepunches
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by kytepunches »

I loved camping out for tickets in the early 80's . The first one was for Iron Maidens - Number of The Beast Tour. As a 13 year old it was awesome . There was shit loads of weed , beer and girls all cranking metal and partying all night. Sometimes the camp out line was more fun that the actual show.
gtshark1
Headlining Clubs

Post by gtshark1 »

Waited through 2 hours of local bands to see TUFF about 5 years ago.
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

Back in the day, we went to every show (probably hundreds), large and small that came through town. I don't ever remember waiting in line to get tickets, or even having issues getting tickets. I think we just called TM and got them, although I have no recollection of that either.. Seems we just got tickets and went. Not like the bullshit you have to go through now to get tickets to anything. I probably would have camped out then...Not one person on earth I would camp out for today.
TREVERLAST
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by TREVERLAST »

Waiting in line and partying was a tradition back then. I still have friends now that I met in line years ago.
tooth
Recording Debut Album

Post by tooth »

I met the woman who would become my wife in line for tickets to AC/DC-Flick of the Switch tour. Like posters above have said, waiting for tix was just as fun as the show. In Boston it was great cuz you would camp out at The Orpheum Theatre, which was the Ticketmaster (and before that, Ticketron) location. For those who haven't been there, the entrance sits at the end of a dead end street &, as long as you were behaved, the cops would never bother you. Also, the Parker House hotel was around the corner &, again if you were behaved, they would let you use the bathroom overnight.
Last edited by tooth on Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
diablomozart
Headlining Clubs

Post by diablomozart »

sure...met joe satriani, steve vai, the bulletboys and a number of others at turtles records and tapes back when i was younger...camped out for ozzy tickets for the ultimate sin tour...worked at a cd store and had backstage passes for the metallica justice tour...all this was before i ended up going to namm shows but still...good memories...d.m.
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

St_Augustines_Pears wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:54 pm
Mojo wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:22 pm Waited in line to see a guitar clinic from Dave Mustaine at Guitar Center in Hollywood, once.
How was it?
It was almost 20 years ago, so I barely remember it, but it was super crowded and I was way in the back, almost around a corner. I could barely see Dave. We left halfway through.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
nuno_cherone
Playing Frat Parties

Post by nuno_cherone »

I’ve never waited in person for tickets. I did wait about an hour at an in-store at Boston Tower Records for Ratt when they were doing that brief 4 or 5 date Detonator club tour. I got all 5 of them to sign my denim jacket. It was one of the last shows they did with Robbin so looking back, I was glad to get his autograph. I told SEP that I had seen Ratt with Crue in the SOTD tour, and he couldn’t believe I had went to that show because of my age lol
"Nothing's perfect except God and a California sunset."