HAVE YOU EVER ... Waited in line for a Concert? To Buy tix? For a Autograph signing? Parade? Other?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Cindy Buzzedimisa
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: HAVE YOU EVER ... Waited in line for a Concert? To Buy tix? For a Autograph signing? Parade? Other?

Post by Cindy Buzzedimisa »

Waited 2 hours inside a popular bookstore for a book signing by Tucker Max who was popular at the time. Indoors so not that bad right? Wrong! Some skinny punk kid ripped THE MOST VICIOUS EGG FART that had the whole area screaming and gagging. I had no idea it was even possible for farts to be that horrendous especially by someone who looked like they hardly eat. Finally got my signed copy and took a selfie of me with the protesters outside (somewhat controversial author). Read it once, loaned it to a friend and never saw it again. Fucker.
kevind2112

Re: HAVE YOU EVER ... Waited in line for a Concert? To Buy tix? For a Autograph signing? Parade? Other?

Post by kevind2112 »

I've waiting in line once, way back in 1984. Me and a friend of mine stood in line all night outside in the freezing cold to get Deep Purple tickets for their Perfect Strangers reunion tour. We ended up 10 rows back on the floor, and 15 year old me thought we hit the jackpot.
"Like I said, you don’t need to go to church to be a Christian. If you go to Taco Bell, that doesn’t make you a taco." - Justin Bieber
Tommy2Tone84
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:33 pm Yep! Gun n Roses and Metallica show. They were playing Williams Brice Stadium (U of South Carolina).

Tickets were going on sale early Saturday morning. This was pre-internet. There was a Record Bar located in the middle of all the college bars. Columbia,SC served booze until 4 am.

Buddy and I got hammered until 4. Stumbled to the Record Bar. Passed out in front of the door.

Woke up when the employees arrived. Massive line behind us.

Got 6th row, dead center tix.

Faith No More opened…sucked.

Metallica killed. GnR came on 1.5 hours after Metallica ended. Remember them being pretty good.

Good story Demon. Stellar score on 6th row center. The tour I wish I had caught was GNR with Skid Row opening. I was over both GNR and Metallica by the time the emormodome tour started.

I remember seeing FNM live at various times on MTV and they always sucked. Once was at the VMAs 1990 and the other was down in Rio. I think I saw some clips of them on the tour you saw. Day On The Green coverage maybe? Absolute shiite.
mrsnikkisixx
Headlining Clubs

Post by mrsnikkisixx »

Yes !! My friends and I quite often camped out at the Burlington Center Mall in Burlington, NJ overnight in the late 80’s - early 90’s for tickets to Bon Jovi, Metallica, and various other groups. The first group of people there would start a “list”, and as each group of folks would show up they would find the first group and sign the list. Didn’t really have to wait in line until about an hour before the tickets would go on sale. Then you would line up according to the order in which the list was signed, and it was always honored. No one ever tried to butt in or anything. Got front row seats to Bon Jovi in 1993 because we were the first group there the night before.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:47 pm
Bono Nettencourt wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:43 pm
SterileEyes1 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:21 pm Waited for concert tickets many times growing up.
Yep. It's what you did in the pre-Internet days.

That and was specifically referring to waiting to buy tickets at the actual venue vs. just Ticketmaster at Tower Records or whatever we usually did back then.

Come to think of it, I have no idea why ticket onsales sometimes happened at the venue or what the purpose/advantage was of going there vs. a regular TM outlet?
I went to a local ticket agent for most of the shows I saw. He had the same seats every time, 1st level. Not bad, not amazing, but you knew you were getting a good seat every time as long as you rolled up early enough. Usually 6 AM for a 10 AM on-sale did the trick.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:39 am Usually 6 AM for a 10 AM on-sale did the trick.

:shock: Jesus.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
MisterSinister
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by MisterSinister »

In the 80’s I loved “camping out” (partying all night in the mall parking lot and sleeping in my buddy’s pickup with him and his girlfriend) for tickets. We had to sign the list to get in line the night before the tickets went on sale (just like the guy above posted), then we actually got in line outside the Wards or Sears ticket office at sunrise. I really only did it a few times, but we were able to get 14th row center for Metallica on the Justice tour, 12th row for Priest/Slayer…. It was great. And the tickets were $18.50 when I was making $3.35, so the equivalent of what… a hundred bucks now?
crowes74

Post by crowes74 »

Waited overnight a few times for tickets. Usually a good time, hang with friends and other likeminded individuals.

Waiting for Metallica tickets at hockey rink and the St,Louis Blues showed up for their morning skate. No one gave a shit about any of them.

One night the tickets for both Ozzy/ crowbar (no more tours) and Skid Row/ soundgarden (slave to the grind) tickets went on sale at the same time. My buddy and came up like $4 short of tickets for both shows. Young and broke, but fun times.

Eventually a semi local record store started selling seats, they did the line tickets for most shows. One of the workers would usually find out how many seats the line needed and split the orders up according to that. That usually got us reasonably good seats much faster than waiting for everyone to step up to counter and order, pay, print, repeat.

Waited for an hour or so to get a Hank Aaron autograph once, that was the only big wait for a signature that I remember.
SirDrinksAlot
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by SirDrinksAlot »

Waited overnight for tickets to go on sale twice. Bon Jovi Slippery tour in Milwaukee, nothing special. The other was Crue on the GGG tour at Alpine Valley. This was just like being at an actual concert. Music all night, bonfires, people roaming car to car talking and drinking. I wonder if some people just hung out there for the party.