Are bands like Train, Matchbox20 and Collective Soul considered rock in the US?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Ale
Picking a Band Name

Are bands like Train, Matchbox20 and Collective Soul considered rock in the US?

Post by Ale »

That's the question.
In Southamerica those bands are rock bands. Soft rock bands but rock all the same. They can easily be the support acts of Stones, GNR and I don't know, Aerosmith.
How about in the us?
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Re: Are bands like Train, Matchbox20 and Collective Soul considered rock in the US?

Post by Mister Freeze »

"In Soviet Russia, Matchbox Twenty opens for you."
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: Are bands like Train, Matchbox20 and Collective Soul considered rock in the US?

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Ale wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:34 pm That's the question.
In Southamerica those bands are rock bands. Soft rock bands but rock all the same. They can easily be the support acts of Stones, GNR and I don't know, Aerosmith.
How about in the us?
Yes.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

I never considered MB20 and Train rock. I consider them pop. I consider Maroon 5 pop too. Collective Soul I consider rock.
whiteowl yesterday
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

i consider them rock.
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

Collective Soul used to be included on the rock radio channels, Matchbox 20 and Train and considered Pop.
RaceFan3
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by RaceFan3 »

Yes. Not in the sense they play hard rock style, but just that rock has become such a ubiquitous genre anymore, just about everyone who isn't clearly pop, country or rap gets stuffed into the rock box.

Side note, both Collective Soul and Train have played my town's local fest the last 2 years and I was surprised by both. Pretty good live shows each time. 25K+ for a 75 min set in 2022/2023 is decent business.
*I kinda want a new screenname. Seriously. I barely watch racing anymore. :x
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

RaceFan3 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:23 am Yes. Not in the sense they play hard rock style, but just that rock has become such a ubiquitous genre anymore, just about everyone who isn't clearly pop, country or rap gets stuffed into the rock box.

Side note, both Collective Soul and Train have played my town's local fest the last 2 years and I was surprised by both. Pretty good live shows each time. 25K+ for a 75 min set in 2022/2023 is decent business.
Have seen all 3 live. All were excellent live. Train really surprised me. CSoul always delivers live.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by TooOldToCare »

Back in the 90s, Collective Soul was considered Alt-Rock in the same vein as Blind Melon or Gin Blossoms.

Train and MB20, I considered pop-rock and made for lite-rock radio stations adored by soccer moms.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

No, they're considered R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A.

ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
BulletProofPoet

Post by BulletProofPoet »

No way Train opens for GNR or The Stones. Probably no chance of the other two opening either.
Ozzy Stradlin

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

Soft Rock, I suppose.
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

BulletProofPoet wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:45 am No way Train opens for GNR or The Stones. Probably no chance of the other two opening either.
Would see all 3 before the Stones. Saw them years ago. Stadium tour. Boring.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Mojo
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Mojo »

Ale wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:34 pm In Southamerica those bands are rock bands.
Yeah, but Latin America has always had a really loose interpretation of Rock. All of the Rock en tu idioma or Rock en español are just pop bands. Soda Stereo, Hombres G, Los Enanitos Verdes, Mana, etc, are mostly just pop with some occasional rock elements. I like most of those bands, but I definitely don't go for them when I want rock.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

I’m sure Train is great live. How does that make them rock or hard rock?

I’m most familiar with Collective Soul. I would def consider them more rock or hard rock over both Train and MB20.
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:41 am I’m sure Train is great live. How does that make them rock or hard rock?

I’m most familiar with Collective Soul. I would def consider them more rock or hard rock over both Train and MB20.
I’d consider MB20 and Train as rock. Maybe soft rock. Yes. Collective Soul is much more “rock” than they are.

Saw Googoo Dolls open for train a few years back. Googoo Dolls are basically an easy listening band now compared to Train. Entire shed sat during their set. Same people were on their feet the entire time when Train played.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
JourneyRules
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by JourneyRules »

I don't understand why these three bands are being grouped together. Collective Soul may not be the hardest of hard rock, but they are nothing like Train and Matchbox 20.
StateOfShock
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by StateOfShock »

The rock umbrella is huge and a lot of different styles fall under it.

Yes, all these bands fall under that rock umbrella. They are just lighter and more poppy than others.