3 dipshits on Jeopardy! didn't recognize a picture of Led Zeppelin

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

3 dipshits on Jeopardy! didn't recognize a picture of Led Zeppelin

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

https://nypost.com/2023/12/01/entertain ... rock-band/

I rarely watch Jeopardy but I saw this live. Am still in disbelief. Rock is truly dead.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Black Stuff
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Re: 3 dipshits on Jeopardy! didn't recognize a picture of Led Zeppelin

Post by Black Stuff »

Saw a tape of this last night and thought the same thing. Eejits!
The power of Sludge compels you.
Tommy2Tone84
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

I guess there are some things you don’t get from book learning.
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by TooOldToCare »

I see this more and more. I'll say "typical people in 2023," not recognizing something iconic from the past. Many of us fall into the camp of amateur music historians/fans; we stay up on the evolution of tech and still follow the "cutting edge." Then there is a camp that isn't and doesn't. Fairly, those nerds are probably into something I couldn't offer a word on.
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

TooOldToCare wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:55 am I see this more and more. I'll say "typical people in 2023," not recognizing something iconic from the past.
"Rocky Balboa? You know...the old guy in the Creed movies"....

"KISS was a real band?" You know that's coming.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by TooOldToCare »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:29 pm
TooOldToCare wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:55 am I see this more and more. I'll say "typical people in 2023," not recognizing something iconic from the past.

Exactly. I thought KISS was always fake. 😂
Turner Coates
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Turner Coates »

TooOldToCare wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:35 pm
DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:29 pm

Exactly. I thought KISS was always fake. 😂
"You mean he was in a band BEFORE Soul Station?

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

The contestants weren't all that young... the one chick was in her 30s and the dude looked almost twice her age, tho he probably putted from the rough.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Charles Bukaki
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Charles Bukaki »

TooOldToCare wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:55 am I see this more and more. I'll say "typical people in 2023," not recognizing something iconic from the past. Many of us fall into the camp of amateur music historians/fans; we stay up on the evolution of tech and still follow the "cutting edge." Then there is a camp that isn't and doesn't. Fairly, those nerds are probably into something I couldn't offer a word on.
Exactly, when I heard about this I thought it was mildly surprising at best. Time is moving on whether we like it or not and it's pretty asinine to call someone stupid because they don't know Robert Plant by sight.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Or if they've never listened to BadCo, BoC, or the Allman Bros.
GoodJudge

Post by GoodJudge »

Charles Bukaki wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:19 pm
TooOldToCare wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:55 am I see this more and more. I'll say "typical people in 2023," not recognizing something iconic from the past. Many of us fall into the camp of amateur music historians/fans; we stay up on the evolution of tech and still follow the "cutting edge." Then there is a camp that isn't and doesn't. Fairly, those nerds are probably into something I couldn't offer a word on.
Exactly, when I heard about this I thought it was mildly surprising at best. Time is moving on whether we like it or not and it's pretty asinine to call someone stupid because they don't know Robert Plant by sight.
Spot on. How many people here could pick modern million-sellers like Ed Sheeran or Cardi B from a photo? Does that make them "stupid"? No, just that they have no interest in modern pop / r+b, or whatever it's called just now.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Led Zeppelin's heyday was more than 40 years ago.

It's like somebody in the 1980s who can't recognize a photo of Benny Goodman.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

These people are NOT dipshits at all...

It is just once again proving... that not everybody listens to, cares about or has ANY interest in music the way some of you fools do!

The same people mad about this are the clowns screaming for Ozzy, AC/DC or Van Halen to play the Super Bowl.

Face it... Rock n' Roll, Heavy Metal and 80's Hard Rock in general is not a hugely popular daily thing for most.

There are a VERY VERY small percentage of people on the planet who actually care about music daily.

Get over it...

$tEvil
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

When I started dating my kid's Mom in 20 some years ago, she had NO idea who KISS was... she saw their picture and thought they were 'trick or treaters' #truth

Born and raised in Romania and she's never ever been a music fan with the exception to listening driving to work and back.

Not everyone gives a flying F#@k about bands, entertainers, actors or sports figures. #facts

$tEvil
mrspeedgene
Headlining Clubs

Post by mrspeedgene »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:53 am When I started dating my kid's Mom in 20 some years ago, she had NO idea who KISS was... she saw their picture and thought they were 'trick or treaters' #truth

Born and raised in Romania and she's never ever been a music fan with the exception to listening driving to work and back.

Not everyone gives a flying F#@k about bands, entertainers, actors or sports figures. #facts

$tEvil

Exactly. Most people don't give 2 fucks who any of these people are. I could walk to the local mall with a pic of Zep and I bet 99% of people I showed couldn't identify it. They were pretty faceless actually. My wife has never owned ANY music in any form, in her whole life and she is 59. People who thinks the world revolves around what THEY like are the dipshits...and delusional.
They laughed at their gods
And fought them in vain
So he turned his
back on them
And left them in pain
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

There are people who wouldn't recognize Zep but could name most modern TV wrestlers or NASCAR drivers by sight.
There are some who could tell you details about the Kardashians.
There is even a guy who can tell you about the properties of cheap soda pop and microwave burritos.

MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

The population in the U.S.A. is roughly 350 Million!

The planet hosts upwards of 8 Billion people.

In reality, the U.S.A. is less than 5% of the world as we know it.

To those who have traveled, for REAL... you know that extensive traveling humbles you.

Going to Canada, Mexico for vacation or hitting London or Paris for 1 week doesn't really do it.

Get on a plane 10x a year for 2-3 decades, visit 2-3 dozen countries and go outside the box, and you will see... WE, YOU, do NOT matter.

And that equates to 99.99% of every rock musician, American sports athlete or famous (for a few years) TV actor, model or reality star.

$tEvil
VinceVanLane
Playing Frat Parties

Post by VinceVanLane »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:47 am These people are NOT dipshits at all...

It is just once again proving... that not everybody listens to, cares about or has ANY interest in music the way some of you fools do!

The same people mad about this are the clowns screaming for Ozzy, AC/DC or Van Halen to play the Super Bowl.

Face it... Rock n' Roll, Heavy Metal and 80's Hard Rock in general is not a hugely popular daily thing for most.

There are a VERY VERY small percentage of people on the planet who actually care about music daily.

Get over it...

$tEvil
You've completely missed the point. They weren't asking random people off the street in India or Taiwan or in Des Moines if they know Led Zeppelin. It's Jeopardy. It's a game show on TV, in the United States, for people who are supposed to be smart and know things. You would assume people who go on Jeopardy wouldn't be stumped by a photo of Led Zeppelin. That's it. Obviously there are plenty of people walking around the world who don't know Kiss or Led Zeppelin or Taylor Swift, but if you're going to go on a TV show to try and win prizes, where you're supposed to be smart and recognize things from pop culture, then you're gonna be called a dipshit if you don't know Led Zeppelin. It's that simple.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

VinceVanLane wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:50 am
MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:47 am These people are NOT dipshits at all...

Get over it...

$tEvil
You've completely missed the point. They weren't asking random people off the street in India or Taiwan or in Des Moines if they know Led Zeppelin. It's Jeopardy. It's a game show on TV, in the United States, for people who are supposed to be smart and know things. You would assume people who go on Jeopardy wouldn't be stumped by a photo of Led Zeppelin. That's it. Obviously there are plenty of people walking around the world who don't know Kiss or Led Zeppelin or Taylor Swift, but if you're going to go on a TV show to try and win prizes, where you're supposed to be smart and recognize things from pop culture, you're gonna be called a dipshit if you don't know Led Zeppelin. It's that simple.
Right... contestants on a trivia show couldn't answer a fairly straightforward question - identify one of the biggest rock bands of all time from a verbal clue and a photo. It's not quite as bad as whiffing on the Beatles or Elvis, but it's close.
AlexVonHaig

Post by AlexVonHaig »

Equating 3 people trying to win a game show, largely based on trivia, both historical and cultural, with a 99% of the world that doesn't know which day it is, is not a fair comparison. Those three are on the show, specifically because they devoted their brains to things that aren't important to 99% of the public
JackieDaytona
Buying Cool Stage Clothes

Post by JackieDaytona »

If I posted on the Metal Sludge Gossip Board and wrote "Motley Crew" or "Axle Rose" or "Brett Michael" or even "Tough," I would be called a dipshit and rightfully so. I should be ridiculed and embarrassed! You should know how to spell those names properly here. 99.9999999999% of the world doesn't need to know that, but if you come here, you do!

And if you go on Jeopardy, then you probably should know one of the biggest fucking bands in the entire world. You don't need to be a fan but at least have a clue. As it's been said, it's a TRIVIA GAME SHOW! You'd also be a dipshit if you didn't know a photo of Marilyn Monroe, Abraham Lincoln, or Mr. T.
Lover, fighter, songbird, regular human bartender, friend.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Yeah I remember a local teacher who went on and won saying that he practiced buzzing in more than boning up on trivia because most of the time all 3 contestants know the answer, so the one who can ring in quickest wins. Rarely do you see a question go by without anyone even making a guess, which is why this was so striking.
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

Ok...

Honestly, I didn't even click the article or video and had NO idea what was shared or who was lined up as contestants.

Now that I have looked I will reinforce my original comment... 100 fold!

These people clearly could careless about a band who was broke up and over with before they were even born!

Also... the photo to even the modest music fan was nothing too revealing... nothing stands out in the way of being "iconic" or memorable about this band's image. And they never had that... Plant a bit, but Tyler and Roth stood out 10x more!

3/4's of this band is faceless... Jimmy Page included...unless you were a musician or played guitar, most of this band was forgettable!

There is NO Cheap Trick here, where they had Rick Nielson with a 5 neck guitar, there is No KISS, no Axl with headband or Slash with top hat, they weren't The Beatles or Elvis... heck even Pete & Roger from The Who are more recognizable faces.

Zepplin's catalog got over played well into the 80's after the band had long been dead, and other than "Big Log" by Plant, not a note of their music was heard or cared about since the drummer drank himself to death in 1980.

Led Zepplin in this pic or most of their pics for that matter could be misplaced as Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, FogHat or any 1 of 50 other late 60's early 70's garage rockers.

Never liked Led Zepplin, highly overrated and I will stick with it.

Lastly the people on these shows are next level genius, sure... but they've spent way more time studying Rivers in Europe, Capital Cities in South America or War History from around the globe... not dumb bands who had a 5 year run of being famous for a few songs or recordings.

$tEvil
JackieDaytona
Buying Cool Stage Clothes

Post by JackieDaytona »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:02 pm Ok...

Honestly, I didn't even click the article or video and had NO idea what was shared or who was lined up as contestants.

These people clearly could careless about a band who was broke up and over with before they were even born!

Also... the photo to even the modest music fan was nothing too revealing... nothing stands out in the way of being "iconic" or memorable about this band's image. And they never had that... Plant a bit, but Tyler and Roth stood out 10x more!

3/4's of this band is faceless... Jimmy Page included...unless you were a musician or played guitar, most of this band was forgettable!

There is NO Cheap Trick here, where they had Rick Nielson with a 5 neck guitar, there is No KISS, no Axl with headband or Slash with top hat, they weren't The Beatles or Elvis... heck even Pete & Roger from The Who are more recognizable faces.

Zepplin's catalog got over played well into the 80's after the band had long been dead, and other than "Big Log" by Plant, not a note of their music was heard or cared about since the drummer drank himself to death in 1980.

Led Zepplin in this pic or most of their pics for that matter could be misplaced as Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, FogHat or any 1 of 50 other late 60's early 70's garage rockers.

Lastly the people on these shows are next level genius, sure... but they've spent way more time studying Rivers in Europe, Capital Cities in South America or War History from around the globe... not dumb bands who had a 5 year run of being famous for a few songs or recordings.

$tEvil
Here's a link to just some of the bands that have had questions about them on Jeopardy.
https://loudwire.com/rockers-bands-jeopardy-questions/

How many people know anything about Five Finger Death Punch? Can anybody recognize them in a lineup? Well they were a question on Jeopardy. Go look at the questions and list of bands who you have been asked about. Since you don't click on links before you answer topics, let me help you out: Rush, Green Day, Metallica, Aerosmith, Gavin Rossdale, Fall Out Boy, AC/DC, Korn, Travis Barker, Corey Taylor, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters, Linkin Park, Motley Crue, Van Halen, Tool, Kiss, Black Sabbath, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Def Leppard, Alice Cooper, Soundgarden, and many more. So expecting somebody to know about Led Zeppelin isn't worth the long rant.
Last edited by JackieDaytona on Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lover, fighter, songbird, regular human bartender, friend.
Nate S Axel

Post by Nate S Axel »

JackieDaytona wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:36 pm How many people know anything about Five Finger Death Punch? Can anybody recognize them in a lineup? Well they were a question on Jeopardy.
Awesome... add a little yeehaw country music and some shitty 90s/00s alternative rock, and I'll be Ken Jennings in no time.
https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

VinceVanLane wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:50 am Obviously there are plenty of people walking around the world who don't know Kiss or Led Zeppelin or Taylor Swift, but if you're going to go on a TV show to try and win prizes, where you're supposed to be smart and recognize things from pop culture, then you're gonna be called a dipshit if you don't know Led Zeppelin. It's that simple.
I bet if they heard the first few few bars of Stairway To Heaven, they could say who and what it was.

Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

When I saw "Cheap Trick was more recognizable because Rick Neilsen" I stopped reading there... CT wasn't a pimple on Jimmy Page's ass... and I like Cheap Trick.
VinceVanLane
Playing Frat Parties

Post by VinceVanLane »

$tEvil
You truly live in a bubble. Led Zeppelin has sold over 300 Million records, and about 94,000,000 million of that in the United States. They have one album that sold 37 million copies. And you think more people recognize Cheap Trick and that Led Zeppelin isn't worthy of being a question on Jeopardy? LOL. That's an opinion that probably should be kept to yourself.

I mean Led Zeppelin certainly isn't Early Ray and "Apple Pie," but I think they've done okay for themselves.
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

VinceVanLane wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:32 pm

$tEvil
You truly live in a bubble. Led Zeppelin has sold over 300 Million records, and about 94,000,000 million of that in the United States. They have one album that sold 37 million copies. And you think more people recognize Cheap Trick and that Led Zeppelin isn't worthy of being a question on Jeopardy? LOL. That's an opinion that probably should be kept to yourself.

I mean Led Zeppelin certainly isn't Early Ray and "Apple Pie," but I think they've done okay for themselves.

"""""""Led Zeppelin has sold over 300 Million records, and about 94,000,000 million of that in the United States. They have one album that sold 37 million copies."""""""""""

Correct... and they were 100% unrecognizable on a modern era long running TV Game Show to not 1, not 2, but all 3 of the contestants.

Adding, they also haven't had a hit song in close to 50 years!

Let that sink in...

$tEvil
AlexVonHaig

Post by AlexVonHaig »

Turner Coates wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:29 pm
VinceVanLane wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:50 am Obviously there are plenty of people walking around the world who don't know Kiss or Led Zeppelin or Taylor Swift, but if you're going to go on a TV show to try and win prizes, where you're supposed to be smart and recognize things from pop culture, then you're gonna be called a dipshit if you don't know Led Zeppelin. It's that simple.
I bet if they heard the first few few bars of Stairway To Heaven, they could say who and what it was.
Would Spirit be accepted as an answer?