Manowar thoughts, please

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Manowar thoughts, please

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Ok. Gonna try to give these guys a REAL chance. Ignoring the pedo ex guit guy, the loincloths, Joey’s personality, Joey’s skinny bass, the way Joey holds his skinny bass, and the cheesy lyrics.

Eric’s son is a school teacher in Ft Mill, SC. Teaches with one of my best buds. Pedo guit guy is locked up here in NC. So…I have a loose connection to ManoWar (I live in NC…this is north of SC).

What are their 3 BEST releases. In order (best to worst). Will listen to all 3 3x each. If they stick with me, I’ll continue diving in.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Re: Manowar thoughts, please

Post by Psychobolia.com »

Great band!

Brother of steel, listen to FIGHTING THE WORLD, Battle Hymns and Kings of Metal. They rerecorded these last 2, take heed: original Battle Hymns has more intense vocals/weaker overall sound; Kings of Metal sounded great as is, fuck the rerecording.

Wear a loincloth and drink stong manly beer when intaking the above decibels. Play on ten. Fuck the neighbours.
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by HueyRamone »

What he said:

Fighting the World
Kings of metal (side 1 only, for the most part, def SKIP the grandfather storytelling bullshit on side 2)
Battle Hymns (or Hail to England, tie)
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
skinni
Having Slaughter Open for You

Post by skinni »

I agree with the above and want to add that if you get a chance, see them live with Batio.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

I also agree with the previous posts. Including Hail to England tied for #3. That album and Fighting need one more song each. Or drop the solos and add two songs.

Kings would be the perfect Manowar album if not the grandfather story and the bonus track.
krisholmes
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by krisholmes »

Why not make a poll?

Anyway, my personal favorite is "The Triumph of Steel" (with the 28 minute opening track featuring both drum and bass solos!), followed by "Sign of the Hammer" (beware the bass solo), and third... probably "Kings of Metal" (with a listenable bass solo; avoid the re-recorded version and approach "The Warrior's Prayer" with caution.)
Don't Damn Me
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Don't Damn Me »

Their first four albums are what made them great. Each album is completely different which is a miracle considering how limited their lyrical content is. The thing is, the production on those albums doesn't hold up. But you're in luck because they continue to produce excellent records. I suggest Kings of Metal, Louder than hell, and Warriors of the World. They all sound amazing and that's a great place to start
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Gave Kings of Metal a good listen. Will skip the Bumblebee song and the prayer in the future.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Wednesday 13 Fan
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Wednesday 13 Fan »

They were good, but I'm turned off by their whole gimmick. It just seems really, really lame. I get the pro wrestler aspect to the while thing, but it just seemed like the least cool band ever.
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

I've said it on here a ton of times: when they play metal, they're fucking great. When they cloud up better than half their albums with pseudo-symphonic fake synth bullshit and spoken word crap, it's a hard pass.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

Post by El Vampiro Blanco »

Don't Damn Me wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:13 pm Their first four albums are what made them great. Each album is completely different which is a miracle considering how limited their lyrical content is. The thing is, the production on those albums doesn't hold up. But you're in luck because they continue to produce excellent records. I suggest Kings of Metal, Louder than hell, and Warriors of the World. They all sound amazing and that's a great place to start
I agree first four albums and forget about the rest.
So, Battle Hymns, Into Glory Ride, Hail to England and Sign of the Hammer.
Beware of avoiding the re_recordings.
There are some great remixed and remastered out of some of them.
kwf
Headlining Clubs

Post by kwf »

The debut through Louder Than Hell are cool. After that they got a bit long in the tooth
Total Package
inextrem
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by inextrem »

kwf wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:57 am The debut through Louder Than Hell are cool. After that they got a bit long in the tooth
This
AlexVonHaig

Post by AlexVonHaig »

Don't waste your time. They only have one good song and no good albums.
tooth
Recording Debut Album

Post by tooth »

isn't it all the same? Corny lyric, bloated power metal where the first time you saw them you were like "they look ridiculous & what the hell is that, a bass?" Then you find out it's a piccolo bass & you're like "a piccolo bass? these guys are most certainly pathetic"
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

I like Hail To England and Sign Of The Hammer, but that's it.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

:)
inextrem wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:42 pm
kwf wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:57 am The debut through Louder Than Hell are cool. After that they got a bit long in the tooth
This
Warriors of the World is pretty good, IMO better than Louder and Triumph. Not to mention everything after that album.
jens

Post by jens »

Their potential best-of can rival with any other heavy metal band.
First four are all killer no filler. Okay no, of course the bass solos suck. Afterwards it's gets spottier, but the best is still great.
That-guy
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by That-guy »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:51 pm (I live in NC…this is north of SC).
Thank you for clarifying that. :lol:
jens

Post by jens »

Love_Industry wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:17 am :)
inextrem wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:42 pm
This
Warriors of the World is pretty good, IMO better than Louder and Triumph. Not to mention everything after that album.
Half of it is very good to great despite the drumcomputer, but these tracks are total shit: The Fight for Freedom, Nessun Dorma, An American Trilogy, The March. The forced-fed us the title track so many times, that i'm sick to dead of that one too.
Grendel
Headlining Clubs

Post by Grendel »

They stink.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Learn the concept of keep your mouth shut or you will remained foed.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Basically Spinal Tap, but not funny on purpose.

Wanna drive a Manowar fan crazy? Compare them to Poison… which I often do. If you call Poison poseurs for their lipstick and makeup, you similarly need to call Manowar poseurs for their schtick. Both image driven, middling bands.
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

WOLF wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:54 am Basically Spinal Tap, but not funny on purpose.

Wanna drive a Manowar fan crazy? Compare them to Poison… which I often do. If you call Poison poseurs for their lipstick and makeup, you similarly need to call Manowar poseurs for their schtick. Both image driven, middling bands.
No way. Adam’s is a top notch metal vocalist. Douchebag Joey is an awesome bassist. Drums and guitar always slay.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
LurkingAtWork
Recording Your Demo

Post by LurkingAtWork »

It's not a popular opinion but I love Gods of War. The chomo guitarist was really good, the best they had.
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

LurkingAtWork wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:26 am It's not a popular opinion but I love Gods of War. The chomo guitarist was really good, the best they had.
I deleted all the orchestra stuff and the puss songs, and was left with a damn stellar 6 song EP.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?