"The General" official is here

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

thunderdan
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

"The General" official is here

Post by thunderdan »

https://sleazeroxx.com/guns-n-roses-unl ... e-general/

loving it, best "new song" released last 2 years i think. quite a bit different then live version. what do you think?
bluesykindaguy035
Wannabe Rocker

Re: "The General" official is here

Post by bluesykindaguy035 »

Why it has 70s synths like it's Tangerine Dream?
And effect on vocals is awful
Easily the worst song among all CD outtakes they dropped
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

Terrible. Axl should call his old pal Bach if he wants to know how to write a good rock song.

Complete waste of time..
Nobodyspecial
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by Nobodyspecial »

What a steaming pile of crap
MattleyCrue

Post by MattleyCrue »

Love it even tho I’ve been jamming to this for a couple months! Wish Slash would have had a longer epic solo tho
LAglamrocker wrote:
Walk in Diesel store Melrose with Ashba gear commands respect, not sure you are allowed in with Walmart gear
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

Total Shit.........

Another song that didn't make an album that was mostly forgettable filler......

I wonder if Slash and Duff being paid employees and not actual band members, somehow ties into no new musical collaborations?
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

OMG! This is great!

"Here I am, and you're the General...
I might be a little young, but honey, I ain't naive...

Here I am, and you're a General, oh yeah...
I might be absurd perhaps, but honey I'm going to Hard Skool."

Love it. Sounds just like the Guns n' Roses we all know and love!!
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Sounding less like GNR all the time. What was that? Who was that??
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
VinceVanLane
Playing Frat Parties

Post by VinceVanLane »

Mister Freeze wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:09 am OMG! This is great!

If this primitive board had a thumbs up or a way to give you Reddit gifts, I would do so sir. Well done.
rockker
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by rockker »

daveg wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:00 am Terrible. Axl should call his old pal Bach if he wants to know how to write a good rock song.

Complete waste of time..
Settle down, Bach probably bought on to “writing” the new song
Kiss fans are like old men at the strip club. We know we're getting bilked but give 'em our money anyway. - Danko Jones
StateOfShock
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by StateOfShock »

Absolutely horrible.

The song they released several months ago was better than this and even that was blah.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

VinceVanLane wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:08 am
Mister Freeze wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:09 am OMG! This is great!

If this primitive board had a thumbs up or a way to give you Reddit gifts, I would do so sir. Well done.

Not sure what you're talking about. These songs are classic Guns n' Roses, straight off the Sunset Strip.

They could be on Appetite for Destruction Part 2. Or Use Your Illusion Part 3.

Fuck. Add some NFL crowd noise and they could be side 2 of Live ?!*@ Like a Suicide!!

It's clear Slash and Duff were heavily involved. I don't think they save their best stuff for solo projects or anything like that. I wouldn't be surprised if Izzy was secretly part of this. His fingerprints are all over the songwriting.

"They're out to get me...

They won't catch me...

'Cause I'm the General !!!

So, you can suck me..."
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Ozzy Stradlin

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

This does nothing for me.

Get Izzy, Slash, & Duff into a room to write some songs, and then send the results to Axl in the hope that he can write additional vocals over them.

Enough of the Chinese Democracy leftovers.
The Prez

Post by The Prez »

Wow. This is right up there with "Oh My God".
Doyle Hargraves
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Not GNR. Not any good.
JackieDaytona
Buying Cool Stage Clothes

Post by JackieDaytona »

She's got a smile that it seems to me
Reminds me of childhood memories
Where everything was as fresh as the bright blue sky
Now and then when I see her face
She takes me away to that special place
And if I stare too long, I'd probably break down and cry

Whoa, oh, oh
Sweet General o' mine
Whoa, oh, oh, oh
Sweet General of mine

-------------------

Welcome to The General
We got fun and games
We got everything you want
Honey, we know the names
We are the people that can find
Whatever you may need
If you got no money, honey
We got your disease

In The General, welcome to The General
Watch it bring you to your knees, knees
Ooh-ah, I wanna watch you bleed
Lover, fighter, songbird, regular human bartender, friend.
MotleyKaos
Headlining Clubs

Post by MotleyKaos »

The guitar outro at the end was nice. Everything else was unintelligible except for, "I'll be good from now on. I said I'm sorry...I won't be good anymore. You'll all be sorry."

Huh???
Zinny
Headlining Clubs

Post by Zinny »

MotleyKaos wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:07 pm The guitar outro at the end was nice. Everything else was unintelligible except for, "I'll be good from now on. I said I'm sorry...I won't be good anymore. You'll all be sorry."

Huh???
You made it to the end!? :o
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

Does that even qualify as a song?
Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

Post by Jason Jennifer Leigh »

Hated it.
EatTheGlass
Headlining Clubs

Post by EatTheGlass »

It's amazing that this reunion has gone on for 7 years now and Slash/Duff have yet to have the balls say 'no' to Axl. I mean can any of these guys (besides Axl) be sitting back listening to this garbage thinking 'oh yah, got a good one here!'

The only people commenting anything good on this song are the Axl-tards.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

I just looked it up. "Absurd" and "Hard Skool" were released more than two years ago. I could've sworn these singles came out about six months ago.

We're going to die very soon.
Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:25 am I just looked it up. "Absurd" and "Hard Skool" were released more than two years ago. I could've sworn these singles came out about six months ago.

We're going to die very soon.
In Guns N' Roses time, two years is like two weeks.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
DrumminAway
Jamming in Parent's Basement

Post by DrumminAway »

And here I thought this was gonna be a song about that insurance co Shaq does commercials for.
MotleyKaos
Headlining Clubs

Post by MotleyKaos »

Zinny wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:17 pm
MotleyKaos wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:07 pm The guitar outro at the end was nice. Everything else was unintelligible except for, "I'll be good from now on. I said I'm sorry...I won't be good anymore. You'll all be sorry."

Huh???
You made it to the end!? :o
It's not the worst recent single of theirs. That would be absurd. No, literally, I finally got around to listening to "Absurd" yesterday. It's far worse. Did NOT make it to the end of that one; not even close!

"Perhaps" was at least listenable and somewhat catchy, but it's still nothing to write home about. Hey, heeyyyy!

Ok, I'll be good from now on, and I'm awful sorry. :lol:
WCiezak
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by WCiezak »

Sounds like Axl trying to be Manson and also fit in with Nu-Metal. It's a very mediocre song lifted up by Axl. The problem is that the FX render what he says unintelligible at times. I can't make out any of the words. If this is what he was given, I can see why he was frustrated with the producers. These FX seem to have been printed into the vocals while recording. If they weren't, I imagine they would have redone them like on Chi Dem. These "new" songs all sound much worse than Chi Dem. They are very dated and not in a good way. Perhaps is the only one that improved upon the leaked demos. But I never heard any prior versions of The General. The guitars in this one also lack any real bite. The reverb and other fx don't sound tight, like they're blending with the source. If Axl had released the original 2000 Intentions album I don't think it would have been very successful. None of these songs were gonna set the charts on fire. Back then that could have resulted in Guns being relegated to a club act. Or maybe playing places the size of the Aragon. They would have ceased to be an arena act. Chi Dem is full of a lot of very good songs. Nothing on it was going to be a hit like Jungle, Patience, or November Rain. I'm not sure the rules that applied to acts like Manson, Slipknot, Korn, NIN, and the like would have applied to Guns. I admittedly have no idea why some of those bands albums sold as well as they did. It wasn't because of melodic, catchy song-writing aside from songs like "Head Like A Hole". Either way, Guns was not gonna win over that audience with songs like The General. But we'll never know since Axl delayed everything until 2008. The biggest thing Chi Dem accomplished was normalizing the idea of decade plus waits. King Diamond is thrilled about that.
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

WCiezak wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:40 pm Sounds like Axl trying to be Manson and also fit in with Nu-Metal. It's a very mediocre song lifted up by Axl. The problem is that the FX render what he says unintelligible at times. I can't make out any of the words. If this is what he was given, I can see why he was frustrated with the producers. These FX seem to have been printed into the vocals while recording. If they weren't, I imagine they would have redone them like on Chi Dem. These "new" songs all sound much worse than Chi Dem. They are very dated and not in a good way. Perhaps is the only one that improved upon the leaked demos. But I never heard any prior versions of The General. The guitars in this one also lack any real bite. The reverb and other fx don't sound tight, like they're blending with the source. If Axl had released the original 2000 Intentions album I don't think it would have been very successful. None of these songs were gonna set the charts on fire. Back then that could have resulted in Guns being relegated to a club act. Or maybe playing places the size of the Aragon. They would have ceased to be an arena act. Chi Dem is full of a lot of very good songs. Nothing on it was going to be a hit like Jungle, Patience, or November Rain. I'm not sure the rules that applied to acts like Manson, Slipknot, Korn, NIN, and the like would have applied to Guns. I admittedly have no idea why some of those bands albums sold as well as they did. It wasn't because of melodic, catchy song-writing aside from songs like "Head Like A Hole". Either way, Guns was not gonna win over that audience with songs like The General. But we'll never know since Axl delayed everything until 2008. The biggest thing Chi Dem accomplished was normalizing the idea of decade plus waits. King Diamond is thrilled about that.
this reminds me of the internal monologue at the end of ‘Psycho’
killdrum
Opening for Slaughter

Post by killdrum »

GnR started out raw as fuck and far from polished. Now they are the definition of safe, overly processed crap. "Evolving" is not what this is. This is Axl surrounded by a bunch of people too afraid to tell him this really sucks.
Last edited by killdrum on Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windycitycane
Taking Music Lessons

Post by windycitycane »

Every time they put out a ‘new’ so g they prove again why they are one of the most overrated bands in history.
ParaDime77
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by ParaDime77 »

Grating as fuck. As bad as the last Avenged Sevenfold release. Why do people keep giving this man a free pass on these new releases? The production is down right inaudible.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch