Pretty good Roth live footage from 2020

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

str
Playing Frat Parties

Pretty good Roth live footage from 2020

Post by str »

MisterSinister
Cockblocked by Poison

Re: Pretty good Roth live footage from 2020

Post by MisterSinister »

I was at this show! It was a great time, right before the big COVID quarantine! What a weird period that was. I remember having a letter in my wallet from my company CEO to show police because for a while people weren’t even supposed to be on the roads unless it was “essential”.
Anyway, the Dave show was great! It was opening night of KISS’s End of the Road tour, and it was fantastic! So glad I got my discount ticket from Groupon! Lol
Z28
Headlining Clubs

Post by Z28 »

This was when someone told him to stop the nonsense screaming and cut the high register after his residence which was terrible, on these shows he was way better
and tried to stay on his natural register, way to go Dave!
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

Z28 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:59 pm This was when someone told him to stop the nonsense screaming and cut the high register after his residence which was terrible, on these shows he was way better
and tried to stay on his natural register, way to go Dave!
By all accounts, the KISS run was the best he sounded since the 2008 tour. It made Gene's comments all the more bizarre, insinuating that he was somehow an embarassment.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
BernieTaupson
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by BernieTaupson »

Anthrax442 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:10 pm By all accounts, the KISS run was the best he sounded since the 2008 tour. It made Gene's comments all the more bizarre, insinuating that he was somehow an embarassment.
Also see :

Now what was that Gene said about not wanting to remember Fat Elvis?
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Background vocals are full-on backing tracks.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
MisterSinister
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by MisterSinister »

Mister Freeze wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:53 pm Background vocals are full-on backing tracks.
I’m told absolutely everyone plays along with tracks today.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

MisterSinister wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:47 am
Mister Freeze wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:53 pm Background vocals are full-on backing tracks.
I’m told absolutely everyone plays along with tracks today.
Does anyone really care about the background vocals? I mean, lead vocals, sure, but background? Saw Def Leppard on the Slang tour a few times and they were obviously using piped in background vocals back then.
Fat_Elvis
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Fat_Elvis »

BernieTaupson wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:02 pm Now what was that Gene said about not wanting to remember Fat Elvis?
You rang?
VinceVanLane
Playing Frat Parties

Post by VinceVanLane »

It all looks very awkward. Obviously he told his band not to move an inch from where they are performing, but every now and then he goes back to interact with them and it seems like they're all afraid to look him in the eye. There's no vibe on the stage between Dave and his band and it just comes across very forced. They look like they're being held hostage. He had a chance to make it feel cool and have a fun, young band, but his ego won't allow it and he drops the ball.

This is nothing new but it looks like he's playing a Vegas showroom. A band of nobodies playing the music fine but with no personality (which he wanted) and him dressed like a clown. And I'm a DLR fan but it is what it is. He's so far removed as a human from being the guy who sung Van Halen that it just comes across as a guy pretending to be something that he's not and not even remembering how to do it.

Dave Lee Roth was from the 70s until I'd say 1991ish, then he just became a different dude. He's been this weird guy for longer than he was the cool guy, but we all keep clicking on these videos hoping to see the guy we grew up with.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Agree w/ the above. 2007 was the closest he came to resetting to old-school Dave, but he still had those fruity embroidered bolero jackets and he still insisted on riding that stupid inflatable mic during Jump. Then he brought out the granny mat in 2012 and it was all downhill from here.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
The Prez

Post by The Prez »

VinceVanLane wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:26 pm It all looks very awkward. Obviously he told his band not to move an inch from where they are performing, but every now and then he goes back to interact with them and it seems like they're all afraid to look him in the eye. There's no vibe on the stage between Dave and his band and it just comes across very forced.
Yeah, it's one step from what Malmsteen does where he has the whole stage to himself. The rest of the band are all crammed in a corner and basically stay in one spot the whole night. Just sad.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:37 pm Agree w/ the above. 2007 was the closest he came to resetting to old-school Dave, but he still had those fruity embroidered bolero jackets and he still insisted on riding that stupid inflatable mic during Jump. Then he brought out the granny mat in 2012 and it was all downhill from here.
Doesn't the "inflatable" mic go waaaay back? I thought he did schtick like that at least in the EEAS band days, if not even say 1984/Diver Down era.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Anthrax442 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:19 am
Bono Nettencourt wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:37 pm Agree w/ the above. 2007 was the closest he came to resetting to old-school Dave, but he still had those fruity embroidered bolero jackets and he still insisted on riding that stupid inflatable mic during Jump. Then he brought out the granny mat in 2012 and it was all downhill from here.
Doesn't the "inflatable" mic go waaaay back? I thought he did schtick like that at least in the EEAS band days, if not even say 1984/Diver Down era.
It does. He did it at the end of his solo arena shows, during Jump. Was cringe then, was cringe now.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Fletch
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Fletch »

I was watching Metal Mania on MTV2 last night and the Yankee Rose video came on. That was quite the hair-help he had going on in that video compared to what he had on top during the 1984 era. He should’ve continued to wear it/cut it appropriately up until he got it all cut off before She My Machine came out.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Yeah he got the frontispiece for EEAS, then he went full blond wig for Skyscraper, then he went back to natural for ALAE and mixed in a ponytail.
kanister
Headlining Clubs

Post by kanister »

Wish he had his 2015 image on the 2007 tour when he sounded good. That last VH tour was stylistically ok for Dave.

And the Kiss tour...just horrible outfits. And wtf was up with the band being glued in front of their amps. That wasn't Dave-like at all.
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

He looked cooler in 07 than 15.

KISS tour he looked like he was cosplaying Harley Quinn.
kanister
Headlining Clubs

Post by kanister »

BernieTaupson wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:18 pm He looked cooler in 07 than 15.
nah, black pants and vest with occasional yellow shirt was his best look after VH reunited IMO
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

BernieTaupson wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:18 pm He looked cooler in 07 than 15.
Agree. He had that stupid Japanese tattoo tuxedo in 15.
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

And the girly scarf.

I thought those Kartoum jackets were quite cool at the time.