CURRENTLY LISTENING TO ... The Fixx catlalog... "Shuttered Room" and "Reach The Beach" are master-pieces!

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

CURRENTLY LISTENING TO ... The Fixx catlalog... "Shuttered Room" and "Reach The Beach" are master-pieces!

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

These albums are F'ing great!

A great mix of rock, pop, new wave and some progressive aspects to their music!

Great stuff... anyone else a fan?

$tEvil
sirthx2
Doing 10 Questions with Metal Sludge

Re: CURRENTLY LISTENING TO ... The Fixx catlalog... "Shuttered Room" and "Reach The Beach" are master-pieces!

Post by sirthx2 »

Not familiar but I should be. Haircut 100 is another band from the time I fucking despised, then realized how good/great the songs/arrangements/musicianship are. The wife loves The Fixx and from what I've seen, they're still kicking all kinds of ass live.
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
TeslaFan
Recording Debut Album

Re: CURRENTLY LISTENING TO ... The Fixx catlalog... "Shuttered Room" and "Reach The Beach" are master-pieces!

Post by TeslaFan »

Love “Saved by Zero” and “Are we Ourselves? They’ve hung around a long time because they had the songs. They broke early in the MTV era. They also had great videos. I still see them on MTV Classic on occasion. Brings me back my teen years of sitting on the couch absolutely mesmerized by music videos.
Just a regular guy who likes Metal
exitflagger
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by exitflagger »

My opinion that may or may not be shared by others:

Shuttered Room is an absolutely fantastic record. I used to skip the last song "The Fool", but over time I've come to love that one too. It amazes me that the album is neither popular nor critically championed. It deserved both, far more than other supposed pillars of the era by lesser bands.

Reach the Beach is great too, although I find it has several high point songs at the front end and suffers a little let down in quality down the stretch.

I recently bought and re-acquainted myself with the Phantoms album which I had back in the 80s and got rid of. It's more difficult than the first two but still much better than my teenage attention-deficit allowed me to appreciate back then. My copy came with a 12" single of non-album track "Deeper and Deeper" which is a very strong track.
ImageImage
Drunk Mazeraturd wrote: ...but hes going to run and hes going to win.
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Great classic new wave. "Saved By Zero", "One Thing Leads to Another", "Sign of Fire", "Red Skies", "Secret Separation", etc. are classics.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

Been playing “Saved By Zero” in a long running cover band since I was 11 or 12. That and “One Thing Leads To Another” are perfect songs in my opinion, and for whatever reason I’ve never gone beyond those two songs of theirs. I’ll give one of their full albums a whirl.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
ALMOSTsaved
Headlining Clubs

Post by ALMOSTsaved »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:45 am These albums are F'ing great!

A great mix of rock, pop, new wave and some progressive aspects to their music!

Great stuff... anyone else a fan?

$tEvil
I remember when we first got MTV and "Red Skies" was in heavy rotation. It was one of those videos / songs I got annoyed with as I was waiting for Def Leppard and Van Halen videos. As time went on, I started really liking the song and started enjoying the band's music as a whole. Problem was, I kept that shit to myself as a kid because my metal head friends would've teased the shit out of me for liking The Fixx (and The Psychedelic Furs and U2 for that matter). As I got older and started making my own decisions on what songs were good, I grew to appreciate A LOT of those 80s new wave bands. "Reach The Beach" is a stone cold classic that I still have on CD, cassette and vinyl.
jhenders
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by jhenders »

Huge fan!

Also one of the few 80s bands that tours with all original members.
EzyRider
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by EzyRider »

Gave it a short whirl but too ‘electronicy’ for me

back to GREEN LUNG!!
It's good to be bad
It's the best time you'll ever have
What the hell is this ultra sad
Pray for your cool and work on that ass!
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Classic early 80s band that made it because of MTV. Good memories.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Out of the Euro chick tunes, they were OK. I didn't change the channel/station when their 2 hits came on like I did with most of that stuff. Duran Duran's hits weren't bad either.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

There's a band I haven't really heard in a few decades...

Not gonna go through the whole catlalog, but I just gave Reach the Beach a full spin, it's ok... nothing really grabs me aside from the main radio singles, but I'm really digging the Shuttered Room album, that's good stuff.
Ozzy Stradlin
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

Shattered Room is a very good album.