Extreme (the band)

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

BernieTaupson
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: Extreme (the band)

Post by BernieTaupson »

Love_Industry wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:20 am
He is the least heterosexual man who ever fronted Van Halen, a band otherwise fronted by Sammy Gaygar and David Lee Fruith.
Gayvid Lee Froth.

- back in the 90s everyone I knew thought Extreme was a band of openly gay guys because at the 92 Freddy Mercury tribute show Brian did a big introduction about how these guys “more than anyone else knew what Freddy was about for all these years”.

Wish I still had it, there was a late 90s Roth boot from Europe where in between songs he looks out to the audience and says, and I quote, “Hey, I think that’s Sammy Hagar out there! And there’s Gary Cherone suckin’ his cock!”
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

Everyone in 90s just assumed singer of Smashing Pumpkins was dating the singer of Two
Singer of Ween daydreamed about singer of Hell Patrol song

Extreme is badass just not Lillian Axe badass
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:02 am
BernieTaupson wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:26 am Never got the hype for 3 Sides either. Always came off like people hyping it knew it was crap but pretended it was brilliant so they could seem cool.
I was lukewarm to it at first. Once I really listened to it a couple of times through I didn’t understand the mass exodus other than our generation were easily led and manipulated by MTV.

Extreme might not have been Van Halen, they were better than bands like Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, Ratt, WASP and junk like that. If you want to talk about a band who couldn’t write songs, Quiet Riot were the poster children for this genre. Their albums suck.
you need to start a ‘dumb shit with timmy2tone’ podcast
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

LAglamrocker wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:00 pm Everyone in 90s just assumed singer of Smashing Pumpkins was dating the singer of Two
Singer of Ween daydreamed about singer of Hell Patrol song
Everyone "knew" that Halford and Phil Gayselmo had a thing on the Painkiller tour.
Everyone was gay in 1991.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Love_Industry wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:20 am
Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:26 am
Bono Nettencourt wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:28 am

They didn't have the heart to take it to the used CD shop where it belonged. You know it was Gayboy Sharona's wet dream to make a Queen record.
Nuno couldn’t shut up about Brian May at the time. So much so, I thought Nuno might be coming out of the closet. Axl couldn’t make up his mind who he wished he could be more in 1991-1992, Freddie or Elton. But it’s Gary who is the gayest?
He is the least heterosexual man who ever fronted Van Halen, a band otherwise fronted by Sammy Gaygar and David Lee Fruith. If he was a good singer he would have fit right in with early Vinnie Vincent Invasion.

Delusional. That award goes to Dave. Gary and Sam are a very far away distant 2nd and 3rd.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

DangerZone wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:47 pm
BernieTaupson wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:26 am Never got the hype for 3 Sides either. Always came off like people hyping it knew it was crap but pretended it was brilliant so they could seem cool.
I was lukewarm to it at first. Once I really listened to it a couple of times through I didn’t understand the mass exodus other than our generation were easily led and manipulated by MTV.

Extreme might not have been Van Halen, they were better than bands like Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, Ratt, WASP and junk like that. If you want to talk about a band who couldn’t write songs, Quiet Riot were the poster children for this genre. Their albums suck.
Today's episode - Why EVH Wasn't All That
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
tooth
Recording Debut Album

Post by tooth »

I'm a fan. They are from my area and had a solid local following as "Dream". I've seen them several times & yea, Nuno is worth the price of admission. As far as Gary, I've seen him front Van Halen, the Joe Perry Project & Jesus Christ Superstar and he's always sounded excellent.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Too goofy and annoying. One hair band I couldn't get into at all.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:37 am
DangerZone wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:47 pm

Today's episode - Why EVH Wasn't All That
wtf Peter green & Richie Blackmore?
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

I was done mostly with the scene by then. Not a fan. Nuno is one of the best to ever touch the guitar, but his songs don’t do it for me. Can’t stand Cherone as a frontman, I remember them being the worst thing about the Freddie tribute.
jorge

Post by jorge »

I grew up in the area and nuno was amazing to me. The debut album fit right in with winger and everything else at the time. Then they hit with more than words and more than girls had nuno pictures hanging up. Then hole hearted hit #2... and then they earned the most albums returned award.

When they came back they were great and released a great album with a no sell title saudades de rock.

They've been steady live as Gary's voice gets weaker over the years.

I don't pay to to see anyone over 50 so I skip them now.
"if it does'nt fit force it, if it breaks it needed to be replaced!" -Hetfield
Nobodyspecial
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by Nobodyspecial »

FreddyFender wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:07 pm I remember them being the worst thing about the Freddie tribute.
That is so wrong
kanister
Headlining Clubs

Post by kanister »

Nobodyspecial wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:53 am
FreddyFender wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:07 pm I remember them being the worst thing about the Freddie tribute.
That is so wrong
Queen are seriously overrated, especially Brian May. I also hate Mercury`s voice and his style of performing. It is funny May brings up Nuno Bettencourt when asked about his favourite players. How poor taste!

But you are still right. Their slot at Mercury concerts was good.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

kanister wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:21 am
That is so wrong
Queen are seriously overrated, especially Brian May. I also hate Mercury`s voice and his style of performing.
Amen. A GH band at best, and that's only if you stop at The Game. Everything afterwards was garbage. Another mediocre group that got a 2nd wind from a premature death.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:27 am

That is so wrong
Queen are seriously overrated, especially Brian May. I also hate Mercury`s voice and his style of performing.
Amen. A GH band at best, and that's only if you stop at The Game. Everything afterwards was garbage.
Innuendo was as good as anything from the 70s.
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:27 am

That is so wrong
Amen. A GH band at best, and that's only if you stop at The Game. Everything afterwards was garbage. Another mediocre group that got a 2nd wind from a premature death.
They had quite a few songs that kicked ass in addition to the hits. But...yeah...after The Game, they nosedived.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
HoldenSSV
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by HoldenSSV »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:27 am Another mediocre group that got a 2nd wind from a premature death.
I don't think you know what "premature" means. I'll give you a hint: it doesn't mean "after 14 studio albums".
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

HoldenSSV wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:08 am
Bono Nettencourt wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:27 am Another mediocre group that got a 2nd wind from a premature death.
I don't think you know what "premature" means. I'll give you a hint: it doesn't mean "after 14 studio albums".
No, it means the singer died at age 45, numbnutz :roll:
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

That is so wrong
Queen are seriously overrated, especially Brian May. I also hate [b]Mercury`s voice and his style of performing[/b]. It is funny May brings up Nuno Bettencourt when asked about his favourite players. How poor taste!

But you are still right. Their slot at Mercury concerts was good.
Those two gay Brits warbling at each other on Under Pressure is so annoying. Thankfully Vanilla Ice made that song listenable.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
ElectrickMagick
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by ElectrickMagick »

I always found them a bit pretentious which was a turn off. Gary's lyrics just weren't very rock and roll. That being said, they had some good songs, and they were all excellent musicians. Cherone is a pretty good singer for the genre too.

Everyone acts like they just fell off the earth after the second album, and while III Sides didn't set the world on fire, it did sell a respectable 700,000 albums and I remember the "Stop the World" video in rotation on MTV. That was in the Winter of '92, back when grunge had mostly taken over. Always thought their acoustic/ballady stuff was better than their funk/rock experiments.
BootyDaddy69
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by BootyDaddy69 »

3 Sides to every story is a masterpiece, some great songs on the first 2 albums as well but nothing great after that
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

BootyDaddy69 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:06 pm 3 Sides to every story is a masterpiece, some great songs on the first 2 albums as well but nothing great after that
Great songs on "Saudades de Rock" and "Six".
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Gayry wanted to call the album Sausages de Cock but they said no.
uwec95
Headlining Clubs

Post by uwec95 »

I still listen III Sides every once in a while. I think it's fantastic, as is their latest album. I saw them in concert this year and they put on a great show.