STP

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

thunderdan
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

STP

Post by thunderdan »

are they still with the same singer? Sad STP an arena band and still would be but w/out weiland they're resigned to keywest rockisland with much smaller bands that are nostalgia acts.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: STP

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Reduces knocking and pinging.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

I finally saw Jeff Gutt/STP in October. It was just sad. At a festival at like 4 in the afternoon. They didn’t dare go past the first three albums. Dean looks like absolute shit and was doing improv in a way that suggested he was really bored. New guy does his role well I guess (the role being however the DeLeos instruct him to do it), but it just comes across as awkward and forced.

More power to them, but William DuVall with Alice In Chains this is not.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Great band. One of my few musical regrets not catching them live in their prime. The DVD that comes with the Thank You CD is fantabulous...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

I saw STP headline some Chicago radio concert after Purple came out and they were on fire. Opened with "Vaseline". Hole and Weezer were also on the bill, and this was actually at the "small" arena (UIC Pavillion).
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
SexxAtraxxion
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by SexxAtraxxion »

same problem with Skid Row.

The singer is an imitator, zero personality.
Last edited by SexxAtraxxion on Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
My music library at last.fm:
https://www.last.fm/user/JonathanHalen
DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Mister Freeze wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:45 am I saw STP headline some Chicago radio concert after Purple came out and they were on fire. Opened with "Vaseline". Hole and Weezer were also on the bill, and this was actually at the "small" arena (UIC Pavillion).
Damn! Too bad Hole was on the bill...
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
whammybar
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by whammybar »

I saw them twice with Weiland and they killed it both times. I've seen videos with Gutt and he is slightly off key at times, and his voice is overall weaker then Weiland's.
thebends

Post by thebends »

Saw stp back in the day but have no interest in seeing them today

Checkout rolling rock concert in pa. Great show
MisterSinister
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by MisterSinister »

I loved the first album they did with Gutt (pronounced Goot).
Never really gave their next album (an acoustic record called “Perdida”) a fair shot.

I think Gutt sounds and performs great.

https://youtu.be/IuJVd7kh3mQ?si=idLsTHzX6f5gh3nE
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:20 am
Mister Freeze wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:45 am I saw STP headline some Chicago radio concert after Purple came out and they were on fire. Opened with "Vaseline". Hole and Weezer were also on the bill, and this was actually at the "small" arena (UIC Pavillion).

They were great live.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

IMO, the guy from Sponge would have been a good fit, vocals are kinda similar and he's from the same scene/genre. Gutt comes across as a tribute band/imitator.
thunderdan

Post by thunderdan »

Sponge is way underrated. First national opened up for couldn't drink at 20 years old. Vinnie is a great frontman, and gives off Weiland vibes for sure, good call, he would be great.
Vince Neil Eats
Lugging equipment around in parent's car

Post by Vince Neil Eats »

Saw STP a bunch of times with Weiland and they were some of the best shows I’ve ever seen. Caught them with Gutt a few years ago and they were good, but he sounds and moves too much like Scott. I don’t know if it’s on purpose or not. It’s got to be a difficult situation for all of the members. Somebody mentioned AIC. They did it right, in my opinion. Chose a guy that can pull off Layne’s parts live without being an imitation.
Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

I sort of love how it ended up with someone doing an impersonation of Scott Weiland. Back in the day it was always the other way around.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
DrumminAway
Jamming in Parent's Basement

Post by DrumminAway »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:20 am
Hole sucks rancid dog turds.
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:50 pm I sort of love how it ended up with someone doing an impersonation of Scott Weiland. Back in the day it was always the other way around.

Simply a like it or not operation at this juncture. The brothers know what gets them paid, Jeff does serviceable job being a tribute ask singer fronting the band. Nobody in this planet can replace Scott. He was hands down one of the best.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:50 pm I sort of love how it ended up with someone doing an impersonation of Scott Weiland. Back in the day it was always the other way around.

Simply a like it or not operation at this juncture. The brothers know what gets them paid, Jeff does serviceable job being a tribute ask singer fronting the band. Nobody in this planet can replace Scott. He was hands down one of the best.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
The Prez

Post by The Prez »

This full live performance of "Purple" they did during the covid era is pretty fantastic. Jeff Gutt can seem like he's trying to copy Weiland at times but he does a damn good singing the whole thing like it's on the record.

https://youtu.be/OpAvGSktJoo?si=XD0UdPVq-Rbyfxir
ijwthstd
Platinum Artist

Post by ijwthstd »

2nd only to Bush as the worst corporate rock of the early 1990's so it's no wonder they resonate the most on Sludge.
"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest
thunderdan

Post by thunderdan »

on "thank you" what do you think of "all in the shoes that you wear"? i hadn't heard it in years. i think real good song. definitely close to AIC though
Ziggy Sawdust
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

I think Purple & Number 4 are good records.
Hell'sHungryChild wrote:
I have no desire to pay $150 to see an ant sized Ac/Dc and drink $12 beer cups.
Turner Coates
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Turner Coates »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:10 am Reduces knocking and pinging.
Also featured on attractive and timeless window stickers.

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

I remember that and it was unfair I felt. As much as Scott annoyed me for various reasons, the thing I did appreciate about him is that he wore his influences on his sleeve. I know I’ll get shit for this but outside of Chris’ amazing voice, I never got all the hubbub surrounding Soundgarden. I first heard them on LTL and thought they sounded like bad Sabbath and Zeppelin. Then BMF broke and everyone was acting like they just invented the wheel.