Your top 5 90s grunge/alt rock/metal bands

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: Your top 5 90s grunge/alt rock/metal bands

Post by SterileEyes1 »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:01 am
SterileEyes1 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:21 am This thread is inspiring me to check out more Soul Asylum. Misery is one of my favorite songs ever, I play it all the time, but haven’t really checked out their other stuff besides Runaway Train and Just Like Anyone. If anyone has a few suggestions, TIA!
Gravedancer's Union. Every song.

Listening now. This is great. Thank you!
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:16 am
SterileEyes1 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:21 am This thread is inspiring me to check out more Soul Asylum. Misery is one of my favorite songs ever, I play it all the time, but haven’t really checked out their other stuff besides Runaway Train and Just Like Anyone. If anyone has a few suggestions, TIA!

You're welcome. Each listen...it gets better.

The stuff before is absolutely terrible. Don't expect ANYTHING from their prior releases.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Urge Overkill. Saturation was a great album.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
alexleehooker
Buying Cool Stage Clothes

Post by alexleehooker »

Not in any order BUT...

Nirvana
Screaming Trees
Alice in Chains
Blind Melon
Pearl Jam (first album)

Bubbling under:

Mudhoney
Tad
RATM (first album)
Some Soundgarden was amazing, some grating
Some Type O Negative was very good and very funny, maybe genius, quite a lot of it just boring or half developed filler
Janes Addiction
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Was Jane's really a 90s band? They straddled the decade line, kinda like Living Colour.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:10 am Urge Overkill. Saturation was a great album.
I agree. Terrible band though. Just dogshit.

Top 5 90's bands? Yikes. Let me think

1. The Jesus Lizard: Otherworldly in their greatness. Nirvana bowed at their feet.
2. Smashing Pumpkins: Kinda the anti-Jesus Lizard. Terrible live band; very uncool, even then. But Siamese Dream is a perfect 10/10 album.
3. Alice in Chains: Totally changed rock music. I don't think they get near enough credit.
4. Jawbreaker: I saw them open for Nirvana in 1993 and thought they were cool but never really pursued their music after that. In the last couple years, I've been going nuts for them. Amazing pop-punk songwriting; great lyrics. 24 Hour Revenge Therapy might be the best punk album of the 90's.
5. White Zombie: I was leaning towards Screaming Trees or the Breeders but I gotta give it up to Zombie, specifically the La Sexorcisto album. For a minute there, they were AWESOME. (Next album blew.)
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
Gibsonite
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Gibsonite »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:16 am

Hang Time is full of great songs as well, with an "edgier" sound more akin to the other Minneapolis alt-rock bands than what came afterwards. Its probably my favorite SA record
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Grave Dancers Union is another 10/10 album. Let the Dim Light Shine is almost as good, maybe 8/10.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
EyeDocOfRock
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by EyeDocOfRock »

Alice In Chains

Soundgarden

STP
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:29 pm Grave Dancers Union is another 10/10 album. Let the Dim Light Shine is almost as good, maybe 8/10.
Agree with both of your ratings. Yep.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:09 pm Was Jane's really a 90s band? They straddled the decade line, kinda like Living Colour.

You can say the same about Soundgarden. Nirvana, Chili Peppers and even Alice In Chains
HoldenSSV
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by HoldenSSV »

Alice in Chains
Stone Pimple Toilets

These are the only two bands that I purchased multiple releases from. The rest are all "a decent song or two".
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."
WentEast
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by WentEast »

[You believed all the bullshit they fed you or you were too high or too young to remember. The 80s was very political. You must be too young to remember the PMRC Hearings. Ozzy getting sued, Priest getting sued by shitty assed psycho parents over their lyrics. KISS, who were not that popular at the time, got picketed by religious nuts on their 1983 tour

Then there was Live Aid, Farm Aid, We Are The World. I’ll even throw in the Moscow Music Peace Festival, August 1989. The Berlin Wall fell a couple months later. It had been a slow burn but I have no doubt that festival helped. I couldn’t imagine something like that happening now.]

I too was there (I'm 53), and what you are missing was that while the times were political, the artists mostly were not. Dee Snider was largely alone metal-wise at the PMRC hearings. Ozzy and Priest didn't talk that much about the lawsuits (they left it to the lawyers). KISS? Nah. Live Aid was a chance to play before a global audience remember the political speeches from the stage that day? Neither do I. And Doc McGee did the MMPF as a plea deal for a drug bust.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

King’s X
Jellyfish
Kik Tracee
Big Head Todd
Living Colour
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:41 pm
Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:10 am Urge Overkill. Saturation was a great album.
I agree. Terrible band though. Just dogshit.
Yeah after the Pulp Fiction cover they didn't know what to do with themselves.

Agree w/ you on Zombie. They were heavy, funky, and original... and then they started repeating themselves ad nauseam. Does Rob know any key other than E?
thunderdan
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by thunderdan »

great call on urge overkill "saturation". haven't listened for years, love it in high school. will listen to it again.
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

thunderdan wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:18 am great call on urge overkill "saturation". haven't listened for years, love it in high school. will listen to it again.
Yeah. Shit band. Listening to Sister Havana now. Super generic. How was this a hit?
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:17 pm
thunderdan wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:18 am great call on urge overkill "saturation". haven't listened for years, love it in high school. will listen to it again.
Yeah. Shit band. Listening to Sister Havana now. Super generic. How was this a hit?
Dude, for the millionth time, we get it. You love crap and dislike anything good. No need to reconfirm it over and over. STFU.
ImageImage
Drunk Mazeraturd wrote: ...but hes going to run and hes going to win.
exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

I'll stick to "alt-metal" because I always thought that was an interesting style. Neither real grunge nor later faux grunge really have much to do with that.

1. The Genitorturers
2. White Zombie
3. Still Rain
4. Clutch
5. Turbonegro
ImageImage
Drunk Mazeraturd wrote: ...but hes going to run and hes going to win.
Kerry67
Recording Debut Album

Post by Kerry67 »

Mother Love Bone
Alice in Chains
Veruca Salt
Pearl Jam
Soundgarden
The Sacred Cowman
Headlining Clubs