NAMM 2024 - Yes or NO ?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

mfgtr
Playing at a Friend's Party

NAMM 2024 - Yes or NO ?

Post by mfgtr »

So ,
Is there any reason to attend this years NAMM ? I'm not hearing anything out of the ordinary and it's pretty much dead the last few years from what I'm seeing. Any good appearances ? Fender / Gibson etc still not attending ?
Seems like same old / same old. I've attended every NAMM from 1987 to 2000 and it feels like its pretty much done.
Anyone have any info
? ? ?
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Re: NAMM 2024 - Yes or NO ?

Post by Wild Obsession »

Speaking of NAMM what ever happened to Carlos/Stonebeef?
Black Stuff
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Black Stuff »

Wild Obsession wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:38 am Speaking of NAMM what ever happened to Carlos/Stonebeef?
probably selling donkey steaks on a highway off ramp
The power of Sludge compels you.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

I’m always a no. I last went in 2000, I’m not a gear guy or an autograph/selfie guy.

The studio I record at is right down the street in Orange and my guy always offers. He claims last year was an improvement and that they’ve incentivized vendors this year so it might be a better year if you’re into it.

Meanwhile I have this acquaintance in SF who spends his life chasing celebrities around for selfies and autographs. Last year he was whining about how NAMM is dead in recent years. The irony was completely lost on him.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

No. Put a fork in it...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by HueyRamone »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:11 am I’m always a no. I last went in 2000, I’m not a gear guy or an autograph/selfie guy.
This. All the Carlos types walking around.... they're not music merchants, they're just hoping to get a pic with Snake Sabo, or an autograph from Steve Vai. It feels like 95+% of the people there arent there for what the damn show is (supposedly) about.

I guess by now, it is actually for aging doofuses staring at stuff and getting in long lines to meet shredders.

I went in 2019 and only because I had an after-NAMM show in anaheim after, and even then i regretted it.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

HueyRamone wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:26 pm
SterileEyes1 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:11 am I’m always a no. I last went in 2000, I’m not a gear guy or an autograph/selfie guy.
This. All the Carlos types walking around.... they're not music merchants, they're just hoping to get a pic with Snake Sabo, or an autograph from Steve Vai. It feels like 95+% of the people there arent there for what the damn show is (supposedly) about.

I guess by now, it is actually for aging doofuses staring at stuff and getting in long lines to meet shredders.

I went in 2019 and only because I had an after-NAMM show in anaheim after, and even then i regretted it.
Ever had your picture taken with Scotti Hill?
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

NAMM is good if 1 of the following 3 things is important in your life.

1. If you are TRUE gear-head, regardless if a guitarist, drummer, sound-man, engineer, etc... then NAMM is a good thing for you.

2. If you are a musician (more in the rock, metal world) and have a release, tour, or product to promote, then it's good to hang, be seen, pay respects to your endorsements (visiting their booths) and schmoozing at the parties... this is ALL a good thing if promoting or pushing your band or product.

3. If you are (as noted or described above) a autograph hound who feels getting your old DIO records signed by Vivian Campbell is vital to your existence, then I guess it's also a good thing for you.

When I moved to Cali and joined TuFF... we were all in our early 20's and ready to take on the world, so of course NAMM was important. Also, our band had literally every endorsement under sun, and the companies always gave us our access, passes, invites and more.

I also went a few years in a row, when managing Vains of Jenna, and it was important to be involved as they also played an event or two that same weekend. I also recall CARVIN actually paid them to do their scheduled meet & greet on the Saturday, which was a first for me. I don't ever recall our band getting paid to attend any of these. One thing that was sure though, is that CARVIN was very behind the band, as they were featured on the cover of a CARVIN brochure, and also featured on the side of their big booth walls.

NAMM is also good (I guess) if you are a newbie (in town) or from out of town visiting, it's a cool thing to experience.

$tEvil
Blumpkin King
Headlining Clubs

Post by Blumpkin King »

I went once, in 2018. I am not a musician or a sound guy. I just went and checked it out. It was interesting for about 2 hours or so. I went and watched a Bruce Kulick demonstration. I watched some other demonstation that I can't remember who ran it. I checked out some guitars and drums, but after that it was the same thing over and over. There were tons of guys like Carlos walking around the place like they were king shit. Some chasing Nikko McBrain. Some chasing Hugh McDonald. It was strange. I would never go back, but again nothing interesting for me as I am not a musician.

Carlos Update: I was looking through the Whiskey calendar and looks like the might Stonebreed are headling a pay to play night. If they aren't selling Hamburgers W/Cheeze they are missing out on a real opportunity.
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Blumpkin King wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:01 pm
Carlos Update: I was looking through the Whiskey calendar and looks like the might Stonebreed are headling a pay to play night. If they aren't selling Hamburgers W/Cheeze they are missing out on a real opportunity.
Oy vey. It used to be that all the bands paid to be able to play before LA Guns or someone. Now they just Pay to Play all night with no true headliner?
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

I’ve been to Guitar Center like 3xs in my life
NAMM is like Toys R Us for music. It’s f*cking boring

Best thing about NAMM is seeing rockstars like any member of scab LA Guns stand inline for ice cream

Seeing Stonebreed walk around like they are Kik Tracee in 1991 is hilarious
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

I never wanted to meet my idols.
I’m sure they would’ve disappointed me.
GreatWhiteSnake

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:17 pm

Fucking doubtful...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

GreatWhiteSnake wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:10 pm

Fucking doubtful...
😆😆😆
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
GreatWhiteSnake

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:47 pm
GreatWhiteSnake wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:10 pm

Fucking doubtful...
😆😆😆
I actually thought this was some rando until he kept coming back wanting to talk about gig bags and then I looked at his badge and it dawned on me... https://youtu.be/1TMFqwlMQpo?si=uFcEs5Rh5rQi1aNh
EzyRider
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by EzyRider »

I'm seeing a few 'the boys are back in town' type gigs booked, back in the day it seemed like there were a ton of these, but I can't remember anything at all from last year?

This year Metal Allegiance is at HOB, and Last in Line is playing some buffet hall off of Harbor (not joking)

I know some guy that could prob get me in to NAMM, but I don't have any interest really. I just like going to the random gigs. This dude is exactly like the guys described here lol.

Anyone have a list of shows going on??
It's good to be bad
It's the best time you'll ever have
What the hell is this ultra sad
Pray for your cool and work on that ass!
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

When is this cool event?
Will all Candlebox singers be coming?
Jan 24 is that a cool day? Thats Roxy Blue at Whisky
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
djwill665
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by djwill665 »

Jan

23rd Leslie West Tribute- Canyon Club
24th Heavy Metal Hall Of Fame- Marriott Delta Garden Grove
25th Metal Allegiance- House Of Blues
26th Ronnie Montrose Remembered- Grand Theatre Anaheim
John 5 & The Creatures, Jared James Nicholls, Atomic Punks Observatory
27th Last In Line/Leatherwolf- Grand Theatre Anaheim
JOHN 5 - El Rey Theatre
Last edited by djwill665 on Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mfgtr
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by mfgtr »

Thanks
To all of you who helped answer my question.
It’s a NO

Saw EVH there 3 times and the luster and excitement of such times can never be forgotten.
Precious memories to be sure.

Happy 2024 y’all
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

Is AVN presented better than this show? Honest question here. We could agree, there are whores at both shows.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
Metal Sludge
The End All Be All

Post by Metal Sludge »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:41 pm NAMM is good if 1 of the following 3 things is important in your life.

1. If you are TRUE gear-head, regardless if a guitarist, drummer, sound-man, engineer, etc... then NAMM is a good thing for you.

2. If you are a musician (more in the rock, metal world) and have a release, tour, or product to promote, then it's good to hang, be seen, pay respects to your endorsements (visiting their booths) and schmoozing at the parties... this is ALL a good thing if promoting or pushing your band or product.

3. If you are (as noted or described above) a autograph hound who feels getting your old DIO records signed by Vivian Campbell is vital to your existence, then I guess it's also a good thing for you.

When I moved to Cali and joined TuFF... we were all in our early 20's and ready to take on the world, so of course NAMM was important. Also, our band had literally every endorsement under sun, and the companies always gave us our access, passes, invites and more.

I also went a few years in a row, when managing Vains of Jenna, and it was important to be involved as they also played an event or two that same weekend. I also recall CARVIN actually paid them to do their scheduled meet & greet on the Saturday, which was a first for me. I don't ever recall our band getting paid to attend any of these. One thing that was sure though, is that CARVIN was very behind the band, as they were featured on the cover of a CARVIN brochure, and also featured on the side of their big booth walls.

NAMM is also good (I guess) if you are a newbie (in town) or from out of town visiting, it's a cool thing to experience.

$tEvil
I've been only once, in 2013. It was fun, but I never felt the need to go again.
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

Wild Obsession wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:38 am Speaking of NAMM what ever happened to Carlos/Stonebeef?
He updated their sound and they've all been replaced by avatars.

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.