WHICH ROCKER DID YOU MEET ... Who was Way Cooler than Expected & Who was a Much Bigger Jerk than Expected?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Mojo
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: WHICH ROCKER DID YOU MEET ... Who was Way Cooler than Expected & Who was a Much Bigger Jerk than Expected?

Post by Mojo »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:38 pm Took it up to cashier and he says..,”Rod Halford is right over there” pointing to the old blues section.
Sure as shit, he was.
I went over and spoke with him.
They were in town for Ozzfest.
He was very approachable and gracious.
He signed my DVD and told me not to sell it on eBay.
Much, much shorter than I expected.
Rob's got an apartment in the HIllcrest area of San Diego, a block away from where my ex-girlfriend worked. Meeting her for lunch, brunch, picking her up or dropping her off, etc, I've probably seen Halford five or six times and every time, he spoke to everyone and was super cool. Just a dude out walking with his boyfriend, taking in the sun, etc. I only personally spoke to him once, and just said in passing that I was a fan and he thanked me very cordially and kept on his way.

The 90's rap-metal band POD had a storage unit in Chula Vista where I used to work. Super nice guys, all. I saw them loading in a bunch of amps once and they were very cool in taking the time to talk to me about gear. Marcos, especially, always went out of his way to say hello.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
rockker
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Re: WHICH ROCKER DID YOU MEET ... Who was Way Cooler than Expected & Who was a Much Bigger Jerk than Expected?

Post by rockker »

Two guys that get talked down about have been nothing but cool with me.

Blackie Lawless was cool all 3 times I’ve met him, twice in the late 90’s/ early 2000’s so he wasn’t being paid to be cool. (Mike Duda that’s played in WASP for years now was super cool)
Paul Stanley was chatty and easy going

Others of note:

Rikki Rockett treated us like we were old friends he hadn’t seen in a couple years.

Brent Fitz and Todd Kerns from Slash’s band have been cool the dozen or so times I’ve met them.

The guys in Saxon were all very approachable and appreciative.

Phil Lewis was kinda standoffish but other than that everyone I’ve met has at least been decent.
Kiss fans are like old men at the strip club. We know we're getting bilked but give 'em our money anyway. - Danko Jones
diablomozart
Headlining Clubs

Post by diablomozart »

pretty much everyone i have met has been cool with the exception of ace frehley...the best? john sykes by a mile...while everyone else asked him about whitesnake (he was in blue murder at the time) i was learning guitar at the time and asked "how do you play so fast?", he asked me how long i had been playing then stopped the line for about 20 minutes strictly to talk about guitar and technique with me...that left a huge impression on me as a young guitarist...steve morse was also very very nice...d.m.
Turner Coates
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Turner Coates »

A few of the friendliest musos I've met that come to mind were drummer Jerry Shirley, Graham Nash, Eric Martin, bassist Chris Hillman, Ross Valery and Ian McLagan. They were all guys who started a conversation before being spoken to.
Last edited by Turner Coates on Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

I'm having a hard time coming up with anyone who was an asshole...pretty much everyone I have met in MOOSIC was cool.

...to be fair, if they are assholes, you generally don't meet them, as they are going to be off doing their shit away from people, and assholes tend to get weeded out because nobody wants to tour with an asshole.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

Black Stuff
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Black Stuff »

Met Race Frehley at Alex music on 48th st NYC around 1976/77 (right after they got back from the first trip to Japan) He was ok then, chatted with us and signed autographs for us.

Met a bunch on th eMORC last year--SEP was very cool. Frank Hannon seemed like a dick, but Brian Wheat was definitley cool, and hung out with folks all the time.
The power of Sludge compels you.
greengoblinrulz
Headlining Clubs

Post by greengoblinrulz »

Lita was easily the worst, no question
Best.....so many but Ill go with Jani Lane.
GreatWhiteSnake

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Sleek wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:16 pm I'm having a hard time coming up with anyone who was an asshole...pretty much everyone I have met in MOOSIC was cool.

...to be fair, if they are assholes, you generally don't meet them, as they are going to be off doing their shit away from people, and assholes tend to get weeded out because nobody wants to tour with an asshole.
Kory Clarke?
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

Kory was fine...I mean, gacked off his tits, but friendly.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

Van Ailin'
Headlining Clubs

Post by Van Ailin' »

Coolest:
Rick Wakeman
Steve Lukather
Rita Guerrero
Simon Phillips

Cool:
Steve Howe
Adrian Belew
Jeff Kollman
Steven Wilson

Difficult:
Kurt Cobain (pre-fame)
Tobias Forge
Sheryl Crow
David Baerwald
Hellsinkey
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Hellsinkey »

Coolest have been Paul Gilbert and Away (VoiVod) by far.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Hellsinkey wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:10 pm Coolest have been Paul Gilbert and Away (VoiVod) by far.
I just wrote those that were cooler than expected, but the coolest would include Rob Halford, Alice Cooper, Mike Inez, Joe Lynn Turner and Rick Allen. Difficult to choose as most have been cool or at least ok but those stand out.

Speaking of Cooper, just learned that a guy I knew from school was the manager for a golf course for many years, and played golf with Coop for 2 hours in 1991. Unannounced, apparently Coop just came there on a day off and asked if anyone wanted to play with him and he happened to be there.
thunderdan
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by thunderdan »

everyone has been cool for the most part. santana on a plane was okay. jizzy was okay, a little standoffish. blotzer was actually quite cool and said his son stole all of his cds which i thought was funny to tell me. pearcy was cool. bret awesome, phil lewis awesome, adam hamilton awesome, and jimmy d'anda super cool. yes, torien was cool.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Forgot to mention that Peter Baltes of Accept was a dick when I met him. Big disappointment as he didn't have a reputation for being unfriendly like say Blackmore, Peart or Gary Moore. Maybe he had a bad day or just hated playing small places.
Nobodyspecial
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by Nobodyspecial »

I have met a bunch and all were great, the exception Being Bobby Dall. he was a dick. Was back stage at the Poison/Dokken/Ratt show all bands members were hanging around talking with everyone and it was great. Bobby walks through the crown and start to say Hi and he puts his hand up to stop me says nope. went strait to his dressing room shut the door and was never seen again until he was on stage.
GreatWhiteSnake

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Sleek wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:01 pm Kory was fine...I mean, gacked off his tits, but friendly.
Just wondering because a while back I posted in a thread about playing a round of golf with him and SAP and that he seemed pretty cool but you quoted my post and implied otherwise. Thought there was a story there. In addition Johnny Jetson posted on Facebook that he's been blackballed from the industry for being in a band with Kory...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
maninblack
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by maninblack »

Van Ailin' wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:22 pm Coolest:
Rick Wakeman
Steve Lukather
Rita Guerrero
Simon Phillips

Cool:
Steve Howe
Adrian Belew
Jeff Kollman
Steven Wilson

Difficult:
Kurt Cobain (pre-fame)
Tobias Forge
Sheryl Crow
David Baerwald
Wow! Steve Howe, it would be very interesting to meet him. I love yes. Clse to the edge is my favourite album by yes. That album, especially the title track is just pure escapism. They were further out there than most progressive experimental bands.
Van Ailin'
Headlining Clubs

Post by Van Ailin' »

maninblack wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:08 am
Rick Wakeman
Steve Lukather
Rita Guerrero
Simon Phillips

Cool:
Steve Howe
Adrian Belew
Jeff Kollman
Steven Wilson

Difficult:
Kurt Cobain (pre-fame)
Tobias Forge
Sheryl Crow
David Baerwald
Wow! Steve Howe, it would be very interesting to meet him. I love yes. Clse to the edge is my favourite album by yes. That album, especially the title track is just pure escapism. They were further out there than most progressive experimental bands.
I had heard that he can be prickly, but I also had read that he doesn't like to shake hands (worries about too firm a grip messing with his pick hand). So when I met him, I mentioned that I would respect that and wouldn't ask to shake. He warmed immediately, and we had a nice conversation about Turbulence, playing with Bill Bruford and some of how he likes to develop guitar parts or "motifs" as he called them. It was quite interesting, and he remained engaged throughout. He signed my Japanese "The Steve Howe Album" and commented that it was cool that I had this all the way out in Kentucky. Then he spoke a little about what he learned from Chet Atkins and how that informs his playing.

Forgot to mention: another really cool guy I met was Ed Roland. This was right as Hints & Allegations was climbing the charts so it was in the "rocket ride" for him. But he was really cool and personable.
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Van Ailin' wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:59 pm
Rick Wakeman
Steve Lukather
Rita Guerrero
Simon Phillips

Cool:
Steve Howe
Adrian Belew
Jeff Kollman
Steven Wilson

Difficult:
Kurt Cobain (pre-fame)
Tobias Forge
Sheryl Crow
David Baerwald
I had heard that he can be prickly, but I also had read that he doesn't like to shake hands (worries about too firm a grip messing with his pick hand). So when I met him, I mentioned that I would respect that and wouldn't ask to shake. He warmed immediately, and we had a nice conversation about Turbulence, playing with Bill Bruford and some of how he likes to develop guitar parts or "motifs" as he called them. It was quite interesting, and he remained engaged throughout. He signed my Japanese "The Steve Howe Album" and commented that it was cool that I had this all the way out in Kentucky. Then he spoke a little about what he learned from Chet Atkins and how that informs his playing.

Forgot to mention: another really cool guy I met was Ed Roland. This was right as Hints & Allegations was climbing the charts so it was in the "rocket ride" for him. But he was really cool and personable.
Met Ed as well. Super cool guy. Not super chatty like his brother and Will (bassist).
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
jhenders
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by jhenders »

I was warned that Eric Bloom of Blue Oyster Cult isn't very fan-friendly, but both times I met him, he was nice as can be.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Rick Wakeman
Steve Lukather
Rita Guerrero
Simon Phillips

Cool:
Steve Howe
Adrian Belew
Jeff Kollman
Steven Wilson

Difficult:
Kurt Cobain (pre-fame)
Tobias Forge
Sheryl Crow
David Baerwald
I saw Steve Howe solo too and he was very personable, chatting and joking with the audience between songs. It was more like a guitar clinic than a concert.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
maninblack
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by maninblack »

Rick Wakeman
Steve Lukather
Rita Guerrero
Simon Phillips

Cool:
Steve Howe
Adrian Belew
Jeff Kollman
Steven Wilson

Difficult:
Kurt Cobain (pre-fame)
Tobias Forge
Sheryl Crow
David Baerwald

Thats very interesting. My own question to him would be where I could get authentic tab or sheet music to sole survivor. The guitar work on there is so weird and also wonderful.
BiggusDickus
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by BiggusDickus »

Everyone I've met were cool. Kip Winger (and the band Winger), Ted Poley, Andy Timmons, Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley, Bruce Kulick, Eric Singer, Tommy Thayer, Ace Frehley, Alice Cooper, Scorpions (with Mikkey Dee), Biff Byford, Steve Vai, Glenn Hughes, Soren Andersen, Jeff Scott Soto, Jon Oliva, Sepultura (with Derrick Green), Steve Rachelle, John Corabi. Not so cool: Richie Kotzen and Billy Sheehan. Douche: Scott Coogan (Ace's band).
diamondave22
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by diamondave22 »

Cool:
Ron Keel
Jeff Watson/Night Ranger

Not cool:

I witnessed a Lita Ford meltdown berating one of her minions. I think Buckcherry wrote a song about her.
jhenders
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by jhenders »

BiggusDickus wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:57 pm Douche: Scott Coogan (Ace's band).
What did he do? He's currently touring with Stephen Pearcy and always seems cool in Jason Green's tour videos.
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

Paul Stanley 2X

Gene Simmons 2X

Eric Carr 1X

Vinnie Vincent 1X

Mark St. John 1X

Bruce Kulick 6 or 7x

Eric Singer 4X

John Corabi 3X

Brent Fitz 3X

Jamie Hunting 3X

Phil Collins (didn't approach him due to him having his daughter with him at the time)

Michael Bruce (didn't approach him due to not purchasing his book)

No bad experiences.

Bruce Kulick and Eric Singer were the friendliest. I got to speak with them multiple times in person and also via email. Eric, when he wasn't in KISS, used to answer his email. Bruce was good at answering email.

Vinnie and particularly Mark, who were at fan run KISS conventions, appeared to want to not be there.
Shredderpete

Post by Shredderpete »

Surprised to see Satriani and Sheehan mentioned as jerks. Had nothing but great interactions with those guys.

Paul Stanley was really friendly, excited to meet my then-boss who’s a guitar industry legend.

Alex Skolnick, Vernon Reid, both great guys, very intelligent and well read but also funny.

Tony Iommi was super cool, like a chill grandad telling stories except the stories were about fucken inventing heavy metal.

Ted Nugent: hate his politics but that is one charismatic asshole.

St Vincent: I interviewed her and I feel like the first 3 minutes she was sizing me up to get a sense of who I was, then the rest of the interview was like she suddenly clicked, knew everything about me and how to relate to me on my ground. It was like, damn she’s good at peopling.

Lukather: interviewed him maybe half a dozen times. One time he was in town with Ringo and tweeted at me ‘Why aren’t we doing and interview while I’m here?’ So I DM’d him and met him at the hotel bar to shoot the shit for an hour then got to see the show. That guy has some STORIES.

DJ Ashba: I have a mate who fucken hates him so any time I’m in the same room as Ashba I take a selfie with him for my mate and make sure to look super-stoked about it.
MadmanShepherd

Post by MadmanShepherd »

Love_Industry wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:03 pm

Jerks:
Peter Criss 1994
Vivian Campbell 1993
Tony Martin 1990
Van Ailin' wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:22 pm

Difficult:
Kurt Cobain (pre-fame)
Tobias Forge
Details please.
This must be HELL for we are the damned...
killeverything
A Drinking Fan With A Baseball Problem

Post by killeverything »

Shredderpete wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:30 am Surprised to see Satriani and Sheehan mentioned as jerks. Had nothing but great interactions with those guys.
I'm blown away about Satriani myself. I've met him a couple of times and both times he was nicer than expected. He went out of his way to talk to everyone there. I also know some people that have dealt with him and say nothing but nice things about him ( they know I'm a big fan, so they always tell me about dealing with him. Have him sign something for me, etc ).
Earl Skakel
Headlining Clubs

Post by Earl Skakel »

I used to have guests come over to do Inappropriate Earl so in that regard
Nicest
Bobby Rock and it's not even close

While doing standup
Mark Slaughter almost as nice as Bobby
Jeff Labar at the same show as Mark, I could tell he was in a happy place but sadly I think he died about a year later

Dickiest
Brian Tichy who was BEYOND wasted while we were both waiting to go backstage at The Wiltern for I think Slash. He was making a scene with a look at me look at me I'm a famous drummer. Might be a great guy and had an off night but he tops the list.
Phil Campbell kicked me in the balls in the dressing room at Wrestlemania as I think he was coming down off of a bad batch.
The Inappropriate Earl Podcast is on Itunes or Soundcloud
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ina ... 96362?mt=2
https://soundcloud.com/inappropriate-earl
http://www.twitter.com/earlskakel
New comedy album out on Itunes under Earl Skakel