WHICH ROCKER DID YOU MEET ... Who was Way Cooler than Expected & Who was a Much Bigger Jerk than Expected?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

HoldenSSV
Playing at a Friend's Party

Re: WHICH ROCKER DID YOU MEET ... Who was Way Cooler than Expected & Who was a Much Bigger Jerk than Expected?

Post by HoldenSSV »

Most everyone I've met has been cool/appreciative/approachable. Even Yngwie and Lita.

The only one who was a bit of a dick was Allan Fryer, the lead singer of Heaven.
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."
cinman1802000
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: WHICH ROCKER DID YOU MEET ... Who was Way Cooler than Expected & Who was a Much Bigger Jerk than Expected?

Post by cinman1802000 »

Met Steven Adler at a Reverend Horton Heat & Southern Culture on the Skids show in Indianapolis around 1994 or so. He couldn't have been nicer.

I was working a beer garden at an old converted movie theater & this little 80's looking guy wearing acid washed jeans and white ankle moccasins came walking up. Asked for his ID & he reached in his pants & he pulled out a stack of cards & handed me his California ID. Couldn't believe it was him at first. It was the most random meeting. He stood & talked to me for 10 or 15 minutes. Talked about the size of the small venue & I asked what the biggest crowd he ever played for. Said over 100,000 people at Monsters of Rock in 88. Ended up introducing him to a couple girls that frequented the shows. The manager of the venue later came up and started giving him hell for keeping me from doing my job. As he walked away I told the manager who he was & he didn't believe me. When he realized I was telling the truth he was stepping all over his dick in an attempt to meet him.

Steven pointed out he was actually there at the show with Izzy & a couple of his friends. Izzy was hardly recognizable with his hair pulled up in dreads & wearing dark sunglasses. He wasn't a jerk or anything but you could tell he wanted to remain anonymous. Steven said he had come to Indiana in an attempt to dry out. Said he was hanging at Izzy's place near Lafayette riding go-karts & staying away from the party scene. I later walked both of the to RHH's bus where they hung out for a couple hours after the show was over.

I later ended up working as personal protection for a number of acts, from Marilyn Manson/NIN to Neil Diamond. Looking back I can honestly say I never had or witnessed a negative encounter with any of the folks I worked with.
"If everything is under control, you're not going fast enough."
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

Hah. Last time I saw Adler was, I dunno, 7 or 8 years ago.

He had a rehearsal room in the same place I rent, but down the hall.

I was walking by with my guitar and a sixer. He was sitting against the wall outside his room while one of his drum students played along to some song in the room.

He was all: "Hey man, could I get one of those beers? I'll give you a joint."

I gave him a beer, but I'm not a weed guy. I swear tho, he had that same goofy grin and twinkle in his eye as when I used to run into him in the eighties.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

TorienRoxxGang

Post by TorienRoxxGang »

Dicks
Tracii Guns thinks he is Elvis and hates his job
Brian Jones
Brad Gillis
Stephen Pearcy is friendly only if your spending money
Chad Stewart is a fat blob that thinks he is an A lister
Lita Ford threw her shoe at a group of fans
Mike Tramp during White Lion days was just beyond stuck up
Lenny Wolf very unfriendly
Eric Brittingham
Greg D’Angelo after White Lion is always grumpy

Cool
Marq Torien always nice
Jeff Blando
Orianthi
DJ Ashba really looks after his fans and takes time
Tommy Henriksen
Steven Adler
Jizzy Pearl is intelligent and friendly if you approach him right
Michael Devin
Stoney Curtis

Semi Cool
Tesla just seem to never like being on tour
Phil Lewis thinks your going to sell every autograph and get rich
Stevie Blaze is not very bright
Ziggy Sawdust
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

TorienRoxxGang wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:18 am Dicks
Brian Jones
Brad Gillis
Eric Brittingham

Cool
Marq Torien always nice
Jeff Blando
Orianthi
Tommy Henriksen
Steven Adler
Michael Devin
Stoney Curtis

Semi Cool
You met Brian Jones, he died in 1969 so wanna hear that story.
Hell'sHungryChild wrote:
I have no desire to pay $150 to see an ant sized Ac/Dc and drink $12 beer cups.
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Ziggy Sawdust wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:49 am
Brian Jones
Brad Gillis
Eric Brittingham

Cool
Marq Torien always nice
Jeff Blando
Orianthi
Tommy Henriksen
Steven Adler
Michael Devin
Stoney Curtis

Semi Cool
Me too!
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

Met Woody Weatherman after a bar show on the Wiseblood tour, me and a few friends hung out after the show by the bus, he was only guy that came out. Was very cool and spent some time with us, even though I'd guess there probably wasn't more than like 250 people at the show (the long since closed Rockefellas in Columbia, SC.)

Also met and hung out with the Worley brothers from Jackyl, very very cool guys. Jesse stopped by later because I assume he was doing business stuff, and he was very nice as well, but you could also tell he was a lead singer and used to being the center of attention. He was trying out a new stage rap with us, and saw them again a year later in Wisconsin, and sure enough, he was still using that same rap he came up with that night.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
nuno_cherone
Playing Frat Parties

Post by nuno_cherone »

Brian Jack (from Child’s Play (RIP) was extremely nice, asked me what my favorite songs on the Rat Race album were, was genuinely engaging. Child Play’s drummer John also very nice, stayed onstage after the show and signed and talked to everyone there. They obviously weren’t huge but still they treated their fans right which isn’t always the case. This was at The Channel in Boston.
Jani Lane was also very friendly when I met him at the Channel.
Jon Ster (RIP) who played with Lillian Axe talked to me for awhile before their show at Axis in Boston, just shooting the shit.
The guys from White Trash were cool when I met them before a show. Same for Jason Bieler.
I met Zakk Wylde before he turned into a mountain man lol He was at a Britny Fox show at Axis. if I recall, Ozzy had just played or was playing the Orpheum around that same date so he was just hanging out. Very normal and cool, signed my jacket.
Had the good luck to go to an in store at Tower Records in Boston for Ratt on that short Detonator tour they did while Robbin was still in the band. SEP was really cool, was blown away I had seen them in 1984 when I was 13 lol got all of them to sign the same jacket Zakk signed.
Never really had a bad experiences now that I think about it. But i think not acting like a fanboy helps lol
"Nothing's perfect except God and a California sunset."
DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Anthrax442 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:31 am Met Woody Weatherman after a bar show on the Wiseblood tour, me and a few friends hung out after the show by the bus, he was only guy that came out. Was very cool and spent some time with us, even though I'd guess there probably wasn't more than like 250 people at the show (the long since closed Rockefellas in Columbia, SC.)

Also met and hung out with the Worley brothers from Jackyl, very very cool guys. Jesse stopped by later because I assume he was doing business stuff, and he was very nice as well, but you could also tell he was a lead singer and used to being the center of attention. He was trying out a new stage rap with us, and saw them again a year later in Wisconsin, and sure enough, he was still using that same rap he came up with that night.
Wow!!! Rockefellas!!! Haven't heard that name in ages. I saw tons of bands there 30 or do years ago...
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
TorienRoxxGang

Post by TorienRoxxGang »

GreatWhiteSnake wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:25 am
Ziggy Sawdust wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:49 am
Brian Jones
Brad Gillis
Eric Brittingham

Cool
Marq Torien always nice
Jeff Blando
Orianthi
Tommy Henriksen
Steven Adler
Michael Devin
Stoney Curtis

Semi Cool
Me too!

Brian Jones ex lead singer from Lillian Axe.
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:19 pm
Anthrax442 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:31 am Met Woody Weatherman after a bar show on the Wiseblood tour, me and a few friends hung out after the show by the bus, he was only guy that came out. Was very cool and spent some time with us, even though I'd guess there probably wasn't more than like 250 people at the show (the long since closed Rockefellas in Columbia, SC.)

Wow!!! Rockefellas!!! Haven't heard that name in ages. I saw tons of bands there 30 or do years ago...
I only went there three times, at least before it got bought and turned into whatever frat bar it ended up as. COC, Exodus with Baloff, and my friend's first band on some random Tuesday. Seemed fine enough for what it was, a hole in the wall in a college town.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

If 2nd word was hooker
Way more interesting
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
veritas
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by veritas »

Cool:

Bono~ met him outside a hotel the week in 1987 they were on the cover of Time magazine. He could not have been more gracious with about six or so fans that were gathered there. Was super engaging, answered questions and asked questions of people. He made a real impression on me as being surprisingly genuine and decent.

Ynigwie : this was very early on and the first tour of Alcatrazz and he specifically came out in front of the venue to meet some of the fans gather and gave me and my friend backstage passes. He was super engaging and cool at this point in time. But see below.

Graham bonnet: same Alcatraz tour and he was really funny if drunk.

Diff: met him on Lake arrowhead when he pulled up his speedboat and asked me if I would pilot it while he waters skied behind it. I did, he’s a great water skier. Although there were beer cans all over the boat and he was already drinking in the morning, I think, he was super cool. This was during the break in the metallica headlining tour, 1992 James at burned himself. If then asked if he could pilot the boat while I skied. I politely declined, but I regret that today.

Tommy Lee : very brief meeting also at Lake arrowhead while he pulled up some weird pontoon boat but she probably was renting. Very friendly.

Michael kamen : Roger Waters keyboard player on the pros and cons of hitching tour, 1985 and he helped me navigate a slightly tricky interaction with Roger Waters. really nice guy explained to me the conflict that was happening in 1985 between Roger and Gilmour, and didn’t help that I was wearing a David Gilmour T-shirt. How was I to know?

Not very cool

Roger waters: met him at a Malibu Grand Prix racing center where he walked through next to the venue and literally not a single of the tens of fans there recognized him. But I did being a ridiculous fanboy. I asked him to sign the wall lyric sheet that for some reason I had with me after he had raced a mini car. He begrudgingly did so and was not super engaging or friendly. Big shocker as noted above. It probably didn’t help that I was wearing a David Gilmour T-shirt. This was 1985 before the official break up Pink Floyd.

Yngwie: oh, how quickly they change. Met him again once when he began rising force less than a year after I first met him, and he wouldn’t sign autographs stayed inside the limousine, and generally was acting already like a big headed idiot.

Brad Gillis met him on the location where they were filming the sister Christian video and just came off as arrogant and not particularly friendly

Jonathan Cain showed up at a movie theater with a broken BMW car in the parking lot and just acted very entitled and was very aware that he was famous. This was 1985.

Larry Mullen jr: where, as Bono spent a good 20 minutes, hanging out with fans, and being very cool, Larry just busted from the hotel, straight to the limousine without even a waiver, a glanced fans
LitaStrauss
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by LitaStrauss »

Cool (very friendly):
Sebastian Bach - I know the stories of him being a dick are true but he was really cool to me.
Paul Stanley
Jani Lane
Bret Michaels
Rikki Rockett
CC DeVille
Nikki Sixx
Butch Walker
Dave Grohl
Zakk Wylde
Alice Cooper
Nita Strauss
Justin Hawkins
James Hetfield
Eddie Van Halen
Richie Sambora
"Weird Al" Yankovic
Kesha
Chris Jericho

Middle Of The Road:
Vince Neil - met him at least 3 times and he was wasted every single time and with a different chick. He was more concerned with the chick that he was with. I've heard he's cool when he's sober.

The only guy I've met who wasn't friendly at all was Scott Ian.
Last edited by LitaStrauss on Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

veritas wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:04 am
Yngwie: oh, how quickly they change. Met him again once when he began rising force less than a year after I first met him, and he wouldn’t sign autographs stayed inside the limousine, and generally was acting already like a big headed idiot.
Yngwie is very hit and miss apparently. I was backstage at a 1988 show (JLT era) and he came out and was super cool, handed us guitar picks, asked us if we want to strum on his white strat, posed with us for pics etc and of course signed everything... until he noticed a bootleg in one guy's stack of vinyls. He threw it on the floor and shouted "I'm not signing this sh*t, you know I am not getting paid for this!". After that he changed, didn't want to talk to anyone. Long time but I think he just finished signing and walked away to another room while JLT and the band hung out with us for another hour.
Son_of_Sam_I_Am
I'm an angry, angry boy!

Post by Son_of_Sam_I_Am »

WolfgangVonPage wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:07 pm I've met Jesper, Jacob and Laust from D-A-D.
Great fuckin guys. Let us come back stage and drank their beer with them :D .
Fuck yeah. Headed to Copenhagen this fall for their 40th anniversary concert.
WolfgangVonPage
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by WolfgangVonPage »

Son_of_Sam_I_Am wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:13 pm
WolfgangVonPage wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:07 pm I've met Jesper, Jacob and Laust from D-A-D.
Great fuckin guys. Let us come back stage and drank their beer with them :D .
Fuck yeah. Headed to Copenhagen this fall for their 40th anniversary concert.
Nice. We flew to Berlin for the Riskin' It All For The Pilgrims tour in 2016.
I hope you have a blast.
Got myself a Cadillac, but can't afford the gasoline.
Ziggy Sawdust
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

Everyone says Scott Ian is a complete asshole, he sure puts a good act on, he’s always beaming with smiles in photos online. Weird

Bruce Dickinson was polite and friendly and chatty, although I know on stage can be a dick.

I met Billy Idol once and wasn’t that friendly just sort of grunted at me when I tried to engage him, but it was a book signing and conveyer belt type senario and just wanted to move on to the next fan and get it over with. Looked old as shit up close.
Hell'sHungryChild wrote:
I have no desire to pay $150 to see an ant sized Ac/Dc and drink $12 beer cups.
EyeDocOfRock

Post by EyeDocOfRock »

John Corabi - Cool

Reb Beach - Really Good Dude

Kip Winger - Meh

Jack Blades - Really Cool

Brad Gillis - Really Cool

Jesse James Dupree - Really Cool

Jeff Keith - Genuinely Nice Dude

Troy Lukketta - Super Cool

Chip Z Nuff - About as quirky as they get , but cool dude

Jack Russell / Mark Kendall - Cool

Tommy Skeoch - Very Cool

Sebastian Bach - Couldn’t have been a nicer Dude ( Late 90s)

Current Foreigner Line Up - All Really Cool Dudes