Was I An A$$hole For Not Giving Jetboy A Chance?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Tommy2Tone84
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Was I An A$$hole For Not Giving Jetboy A Chance?

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

I remember seeing these guys on the Ball and not being overly impressed. But as a grown ass adult, looking back over 30 years ago they weren’t that bad. I viewed them as a copy of The Cult, Hanoi and Dolls. But they were good players even if they weren’t quite the songwriters their friends in Guns N Roses were.

Who here loves them and who here hates them?

Should they have been the next big thing? Could they have been the next big thing?
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: Was I An A$$hole For Not Giving Jetboy A Chance?

Post by daveg »

Songs just weren't there. I tried at the time, cause I loved the song Heavy Chevy. Nothing else really stood out.
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

“Feel the Shake” and “Heavy Chevy” are both quite good, but the rest of the music on their first two albums is pretty much sometimes bluesy-sounding, sometimes sleazy-sounding G’n’R-lite. Still fairly solid overall, if not great.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Was that the band with the dude that had a mohawk? If so, that probably killed them right out of the gate.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

daveg wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:05 am Songs just weren't there. I tried at the time, cause I loved the song Heavy Chevy. Nothing else really stood out.
Same. I don’t remember HC. I remember Feel The Shake. I don’t remember it grabbing me like Nothing But A Good Time, Welcome To The Jungle, Sex Action and Youth Gone Wild did.
SeniorGrande
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by SeniorGrande »

Nope. Terrible band.

Worst songs on "The 'Burbs" soundtrack, and that was even counting the "Mister Rogers Neighborhood" theme.
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

I never saw them, but everybody loved them when they first came to L.A. and talked about how raw and fun they were live.

Apparently, EVERYBODY was disappointed in the record tho, which is kind of boring. I got the impression they were ruined by the label/producer trying to make them something they weren't.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

First album is "weak" (songs and production).2nd album "Damned Nation" was solid (however the lead single/video "Evil", was IMO the absolute worst choice).
Their newer stuff (2010 EP "Off Your Rocker", and 2019 album "Born To Fly", were really good.

"Born To Fly"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AemDcIxO6Uo
MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

I have to say, the interactions I had with the JetBoy guys (Mickey Finn and Billy Rowe) have always been very pleasant, great guys.

But, in truth, by the time I had arrived in L.A. (June 1987) they had already been signed, and kind of going through the various trials and tribulations.

I vividly recall Del James telling me about Todd Crew's funeral at Jonni Teagarden's downtown L.A. high-rise loft style apartment, and this was literally weeks after I had joined TUFF. That's on old skool name that only some die-hard scenesters from the heyday will recognize.

Something that stands out, was Del telling me that he and some of the others at his funeral, took their boots off, and threw them into Todd's grave with his casket. He talked a bit about the incident, stuff that happened in NYC, with the GNR guys when he died. Pretty brutal stuff and I won't repeat anymore than that.

If I am not mistaken, I think JetBoy got signed before most of these bands, but perhaps, just after Poison. They def had a bigger name locally from what I know, and I am pretty sure all of the others (GNR, LAG and FPC) all at some point opened for JetBoy.

JetBoy unfortunately fell into one pit-fall after another, with timing, the release of their record, and more. If memory serves me, I wanna say it was delayed or shelved, and then they changed labels? I think there was some Elektra and MCA stuff that was going on, and they were bouncing in-between the two labels... maybe someone else knows for sure, those exact details.

Also, a huge ordeal was the split with Todd which added Sam Yaffa (Hanoi Rocks bassist) in his place and the word was Todd was devastated by this, which made him drink more and do more drugs... which ended with him ultimately overdosing and dying at 21. Ouch.

Adding a Hanoi members seemed super cool, but at the same time, they too were kind of followed by a dark cloud, and as much as so many loved them, they never went very far... other than everyone saying "I love Hanoi Rocks" but their catalog was very weak in the way of songs. The Razzle thing, McCoy being a super junkie, etc.. did them no favors in the big picture, so their bassist joining JetBoy didn't do much for them either as the industry was weary.

I have said this before... that Vicky Hamilton's book "Appetite for Dysfunction" is a F#@KING GREAT read... seriously... there is a lot of details on how these bands all were incestuously connected, and much more than most know... stuff that happened before their deals, before their MTV videos, etc... and I mean ALL of the bands... GNR, Poison, Crue, Styrper, LAG, FPC, JetBoy and more... lots of details, lots of stuff that I didn't even know, as it happened before I arrived.

In short, the band had a lot of buzz, and a leg up on most of the bands, but all of the turmoil, and bad timing was their downfall.

$tEvil
Last edited by MetalSludgeCEO on Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

I feel like this is a trick question...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Nate S Axel
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Nate S Axel »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:33 pm Also, a huge ordeal was the split with Todd which added Sam Yaffa (Hanoi Rocks bassist) in his place and the word was Todd was devastated by this, which made him drink more and do more drugs... which ended with him ultimately overdosing and dying at 21. Ouch.
Damn, sounds like Slash contributed to it in some small way.
https://localwiki.org/oakland/Todd_Crew
https://www.punkglobe.com/images/jetboyslash030308.html
https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:33 pm I have to say, the interactions I had with the JetBoy guys (Mickey Finn and Billy Rowe) have always been very pleasant, great guys.

But, in truth, by the time I had arrived in L.A. (June 1987) they had already been signed, and kind of going through the various trials and tribulations.

I vividly recall Del James telling me about Todd Crew's funeral at Jonni Teagarden's downtown L.A. high-rise loft style apartment, and this was literally weeks after I had joined TUFF. That's on old skool name that only some die-hard scenesters from the heyday will recognize.

Something that stands out, was Del telling me that he and some of the others at his funeral, took their boots off, and threw them into Todd's grave with his casket. He talked a bit about the incident, stuff that happened in NYC, with the GNR guys when he died. Pretty brutal stuff and I won't repeat anymore than that.

If I am not mistaken, I think JetBoy got signed before most of these bands, but perhaps, just after Poison. They def had a bigger name locally from what I know, and I am pretty sure all of the others (GNR, LAG and FPC) all at some point opened for JetBoy.

JetBoy unfortunately fell into one pit-fall after another, with timing, the release of their record, and more. If memory serves me, I wanna say it was delayed or shelved, and then they changed labels? I think there was some Elektra and MCA stuff that was going on, and they were bouncing in-between the two labels... maybe someone else knows for sure, those exact details.

Also, a huge ordeal was the split with Todd which added Sam Yaffa (Hanoi Rocks bassist) in his place and the word was Todd was devastated by this, which made him drink more and do more drugs... which ended with him ultimately overdosing and dying at 21. Ouch.

Adding a Hanoi members seemed super cool, but at the same time, they too were kind of followed by a dark cloud, and as much as so many loved them, they never went very far... other than everyone saying "I love Hanoi Rocks" but their catalog was very weak in the way of songs. The Razzle thing, McCoy being a super junkie, etc.. did them no favors in the big picture, so their bassist joining JetBoy didn't do much for them either as the industry was weary.

I have said this before... that Vicky Hamilton's book "Appetite for Dysfunction" is a F#@KING GREAT read... seriously... there is a lot of details on how these bands all were incestuously connected, and much more than most know... stuff that happened before their deals, before their MTV videos, etc... and I mean ALL of the bands... GNR, Poison, Crue, Styrper, LAG, FPC, JetBoy and more... lots of details, lots of stuff that I didn't even know, as it happened before I arrived.

In short, the band had a lot of buzz, and a leg up on most of the bands, but all of the turmoil, and bad timing was their downfall.

$tEvil

What did you think of their music and their albums? Did you like them? Their singer was good but I was turned off by the mohawk image. I was only a teenager at the time. He had a good voice but their song didn’t grab me. I remember seeing Lizzy Borden around the same time. I dug the song “Me Against The World” but his image was even more out there. It was ridiculous and funny at the same time, not unlike Poison but at the opposite end of the spectrum. I did end up buying Lizzy’s album and it wasn’t bad at all.

As tragic and sad as the situation with Razzle was, I didn’t understand why they didn’t keep shoving their music down our throats if they wanted stardom that bad. Ozzy and Quiet Riot lost Randy and kept going, Metallica lost Cliff and kept going, AC/DC lost Bon.
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Nate S Axel wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:52 pm
MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:33 pm Also, a huge ordeal was the split with Todd which added Sam Yaffa (Hanoi Rocks bassist) in his place and the word was Todd was devastated by this, which made him drink more and do more drugs... which ended with him ultimately overdosing and dying at 21. Ouch.
Damn, sounds like Slash contributed to it in some small way.
https://localwiki.org/oakland/Todd_Crew
https://www.punkglobe.com/images/jetboyslash030308.html
Very self-serving and one-sided take from those guys.

Slash and Todd were both just kids fucking around with hard stuff. They were rolling the dice every night.

Trying to make Slash out as having a hand in the kid's death is comical. If Slash hadn't been around, you think the kid would have gone "Oh man, no H for me tonight. Oh well?"

He'd have shot up with someone else and died all the same.
BulletProofPoet

Post by BulletProofPoet »

I always preferred the early glam material.

The debut should have been
1. Feel The Shake
2. Make Some Noise
3. Bad Disease
4. Fire In My Heart
5. Missing You
6. Cut Me Down
7. Little Teaser
8. Feel So Good
9. Hard Climb
10. Prairie Nights
11. Don’t Mess with My Hair
Ozzy Stradlin

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

Their second album - Damned Nation - is far better than their first, Feel The Shake, for my ears. Side 1, in particular, is really strong.

Unfortunately, their only single/video from that album was the first song on side 2 - “Evil” - which wasn’t the right choice, IMO. Sami Yaffa apparently agreed, as he quit the band before they filmed the video.

In any case, I think it’s a shame that Damned Nation wasn’t given a proper chance.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5 ... mPBCnv9rBT
Last edited by Ozzy Stradlin on Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kerry67
Recording Debut Album

Post by Kerry67 »

I liked them. Billy Rowe is a buddy and cool as hell. He has a killer guitar company Rock N Roll Relics and I am happy for his success with Buckcherry. Mickey always had a great voice and is a nice guy as well....
GoodJudge

Post by GoodJudge »

All I knew about them before this thread was a vague memory of Kerrang! reviewing the Damned Nation album and me thinking it was Sami's post-Hanoi band. I had no idea of the actual history until today. So I gave it a spin and ... meh. Track #1 'Stomp it down to the brick' is a crappy chorus and a weak song for an album opener, #2 'Moonlight' would have been a better choice even though it's "heavily influenced" by 'Mr Brownstone'. 'Heavy Chevy' was amusing to hear a Yank singing about "the motorway" - I thought you called them highways or freeways. Nothing much of interest after that.

Thanks to the OP for giving me the opportunity after all these years though.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Ozzy Stradlin wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:22 pm Their second album - Damned Nation - is far better than their first, Feel The Shake, for my ears. Side 1, in particular, is really strong.

Unfortunately, their only single/video from that album was the first song on side 2 - “Evil” - which wasn’t the right choice, IMO. Sami Yaffa apparently agreed, as he quit the band before to eu filmed the video.

In any case, I think it’s a shame that Damned Nation wasn’t given a proper chance.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5 ... mPBCnv9rBT

Nice summary. I’ll check out both
HoldenSSV
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by HoldenSSV »

The Philadelphia Flyers used "Feel The Shake" as their goal song from 2019-2021 or so.
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

daveg wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:05 am Songs just weren't there.
That's it really, they were alright, but not good enough to go further.