Sami Yaffa

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Sami Yaffa

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

I see his name mentioned a bunch. Was in Jetboy, Hanoi, and played with Johnny Thunders.

What did/does he do for a living? Seasonal construction gigs? Wash dishes in a restaurant? Or did he work for a club or some other venue?

The guy has been in bands for ages, but none of them could have paid the equivalent of minimum wage.

There are others like him out there. Asking about Yaffa because I just noticed his name popping up in the Jetboy thread.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
HottKarl777
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: Sami Yaffa

Post by HottKarl777 »

He's the fucker that Vince didn't kill.

Sobriety sucks.
kanister
Headlining Clubs

Post by kanister »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:08 pm I see his name mentioned a bunch. Was in Jetboy, Hanoi, and played with Johnny Thunders.

What did/does he do for a living? Seasonal construction gigs? Wash dishes in a restaurant? Or did he work for a club or some other venue?

The guy has been in bands for ages, but none of them could have paid the equivalent of minimum wage.

There are others like him out there. Asking about Yaffa because I just noticed his name popping up in the Jetboy thread.
Also played with Joan Jett, New York Dolls and The Hellacopters. Is currently in Michaeln Monroe`s band and also tours and records as a solo artist. He has also had a few seasons of his own TV show Soundtracker where he explores different music cultures around the globe. Also is an author of a comic book and subject of a biography.

Guess he makes his living from little streams of income. He is also married to a famous art photographic.
Last edited by kanister on Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

kanister wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:26 pm
DemonFilth2001 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:08 pm I see his name mentioned a bunch. Was in Jetboy, Hanoi, and played with Johnny Thunders.

Also played with Joan Jett, New York Dolls and The Hellacopters. Is currently in Michaeln Monroe`s band and also tours as a solo artist. He has also had a few seasons of his own TV show Soundtracker where he explores different music cultures around the globe. Also is an author of a comic book and subject of a biography.

Guess he makes his living from little streams of income. He is also married to a famous art photographic.
Right. But none of the musical gigs would have paid shit. He would need to do quite a few simultaneously.

Guess if you tour constantly, you don't need to pay rent, utilities, for a car etc...
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Ozzy Stradlin

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

He is in Monroe’s solo band, & has been for the last 15 years or so, which, given the amount that they record and tour overseas (and occasionally in the States), I’m guessing provides enough for a living.

I know that each of member of Hanoi Rocks got paid a lump sum of lower 6 figures when Uzi-Suicide/Geffen released their back catalog back in ‘89. Sam is smart, and I’m guessing he spent and/or invested his money wisely.
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

I’m not familiar with Hanoi or their catalog, but every time l see the the name Sami Yaffa, i think the dude is the coolest looking rock guy of all time. 72 Keith Richard’s cool. I can’t say that for most anyone else in the industry.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
GoodJudge

Post by GoodJudge »

ParaDime77 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:23 pm I’m not familiar with Hanoi or their catalog, but every time l see the the name Sami Yaffa, i think the dude is the coolest looking rock guy of all time. 72 Keith Richard’s cool. I can’t say that for most anyone else in the industry.
I wouldn't say "of all time" but he's definitely up there. He has 'presence' without any need to be a showy frontman - in fact quite the opposite.

Re: the original questions, he's toured a lot, like signed on for several years at a time with bigger names, so he knew he would be getting sufficient salaray. I also read somewhere that he was originally a graphic designer so if he's kept those skills up it's a relatively easy job to keep going on the road.
SW
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by SW »

Nicest guy in rock'n'roll I have ever had encounters with. Just all around cool guy.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

GoodJudge wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:21 pm
ParaDime77 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:23 pm I’m not familiar with Hanoi or their catalog, but every time l see the the name Sami Yaffa, i think the dude is the coolest looking rock guy of all time. 72 Keith Richard’s cool. I can’t say that for most anyone else in the industry.
I wouldn't say "of all time" but he's definitely up there. He has 'presence' without any need to be a showy frontman - in fact quite the opposite.

Re: the original questions, he's toured a lot, like signed on for several years at a time with bigger names, so he knew he would be getting sufficient salaray.
He also played on two New York Dolls albums if that means anything. Big name but not sure how much they sell.
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

I saw Michael Monroe's band a few years ago, great show!
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

He has homes in Helsinki, Finland and Mallorca, Spain. Also a summer cabin in Finland. He's been smart with his money I guess.
endstand

Post by endstand »

To echo others, Sami has done lots of musical work basically all the time in tons of different ground and seems he is very busy constantly.

Michael Monroe band is always doing quite a lots of touring (locally those are fairly high profile shows and venues), when not doing full line up shows, then some acoustic gigs in between. I am sure he gets decent paycheck from those. Also he has lately done smaller scale solo gigs and for example just recently finished a Finnish Christmas tour with few other high profile artists.

To add, Sami is a high profile celebrity locally. He has been a co-coach with Michael Monroe on The Voice of Finland TV show, which obviously has been huge visibilty for him. Last year he was a part of the jury in other big music TV show.

And like already said Sami is an award winning music journalist who has done Soundtracker TV and radio show about different music cultures from all around the world, also has hosted other radio shows.

So one could say he is probably doing OK.
Nightcrawler
Jamming in Parent's Basement

Post by Nightcrawler »

His autobiography (The Road Bends) is available on Amazon. Very good read.
DwightFry
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by DwightFry »

SW wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:40 pm Nicest guy in rock'n'roll I have ever had encounters with. Just all around cool guy.
I got the same impression.

Also ranks quite high on my Underrated Bassists list. Solid as a rock.
tooth
Recording Debut Album

Post by tooth »

With only knowing what I've read in this thread, "married to a famous art photographic" seems the likely answer. That, and he and/or his famous art photographic spouse come from cash.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

tooth wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:43 am With only knowing what I've read in this thread, "married to a famous art photographic" seems the likely answer. That, and he and/or his famous art photographic spouse come from cash.
Her name is Meeri Koutaniemi and she seems rather successful with a long career so that and investing the Geffen money wisely can explain how Sami can get by on "minimum wage music gigs".
Her parents are a psychologist and a renowned architect (designed two airports and some monuments, recently deceased) so probably not poor either.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meeri_Koutaniemi
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

https://www.koutaffa-ceramics.com/
They make ceramic tits with his wife.
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

tooth wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:43 am With only knowing what I've read in this thread, "married to a famous art photographic" seems the likely answer. That, and he and/or his famous art photographic spouse come from cash.
And she's 23 years younger than him.......(the guy is truly underrated). Hanoi Rocks was "done" before she was even born!
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Love_Industry wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:07 am
Her name is Meeri Koutaniemi and she seems rather successful with a long career so that and investing the Geffen money wisely can explain how Sami can get by on "minimum wage music gigs".
Her parents are a psychologist and a renowned architect (designed two airports and some monuments, recently deceased) so probably not poor either.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meeri_Koutaniemi
He was a rocker in a marginal band. Got a check from Geffen. You think he subscribed to Barron, Wall Street Journal, and Investor's Business Daily? Fuck no. I'm sure that cash got partied away QUICK.

SO...his wife comes from an upper middle class family. That's the answer.

Thanks!

I may read his book now...
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Vince Neil Eats
Lugging equipment around in parent's car

Post by Vince Neil Eats »

Just got done reading his book. Before getting back with Monroe he did have to work different jobs in between gigs, especially while living in the US. He talks about money struggles throughout his book, but seems to always get by. Also, he never lived beyond his means which has helped. He is a bit of a minimalist who likes to move around a lot. Was a decent enough read that hardcore fans would love.
MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

""""""""""""""""What did/does he do for a living? Wash dishes in a restaurant?""""""""""""""""""

Very ignorant to say...

""""""""""""""""""""The guy has been in bands for ages, but none of them could have paid the equivalent of minimum wage."""""""""""""""""""""""""

How would you know what Hanoi Rocks makes, made or pays him, last week or 30 years ago? You don't.

What do you know about his life? His family? Finland? His history beyond some random stuff you read on the internet?

In truth... nothing... which is why you are asking this question. Fair?

But thinking he washes dishes for a living or makes minimum wage is lame.

$tEvil
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:30 pm
kanister wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:26 pm

Also played with Joan Jett, New York Dolls and The Hellacopters. Is currently in Michaeln Monroe`s band and also tours as a solo artist. He has also had a few seasons of his own TV show Soundtracker where he explores different music cultures around the globe. Also is an author of a comic book and subject of a biography.

Right. But none of the musical gigs would have paid shit. He would need to do quite a few simultaneously.

Guess if you tour constantly, you don't need to pay rent, utilities, for a car etc...

"""""""""""""""""""Right. But none of the musical gigs would have paid shit.""""""""""""""""""

How would you know this?

Did you ever tour with Joan Jett? Or any of the other artists?

$tEvil
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

Hellsinkey wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:37 am He has homes in Helsinki, Finland and Mallorca, Spain. Also a summer cabin in Finland. He's been smart with his money I guess.
This!

$tEvil
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

endstand wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:34 am To echo others, Sami has done lots of musical work basically all the time in tons of different ground and seems he is very busy constantly.

Michael Monroe band is always doing quite a lots of touring (locally those are fairly high profile shows and venues), when not doing full line up shows, then some acoustic gigs in between. I am sure he gets decent paycheck from those. Also he has lately done smaller scale solo gigs and for example just recently finished a Finnish Christmas tour with few other high profile artists.

To add, Sami is a high profile celebrity locally. He has been a co-coach with Michael Monroe on The Voice of Finland TV show, which obviously has been huge visibilty for him. Last year he was a part of the jury in other big music TV show.

And like already said Sami is an award winning music journalist who has done Soundtracker TV and radio show about different music cultures from all around the world, also has hosted other radio shows.

So one could say he is probably doing OK.
All of this!

$tEvil
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:09 pmö

He was a rocker in a marginal band. Got a check from Geffen. You think he subscribed to Barron, Wall Street Journal, and Investor's Business Daily?
His bandmate mr. Suicide was in the same situation, got a masters degree and worked as university lecturer and medical researcher / advisor so why not?

All Sami needed to do was keep the Geffen money in an index fund until peak Nokia 😀
GoodJudge

Post by GoodJudge »

Love_Industry wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:56 am
DemonFilth2001 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:09 pmö

He was a rocker in a marginal band. Got a check from Geffen. You think he subscribed to Barron, Wall Street Journal, and Investor's Business Daily?
His bandmate mr. Suicide was in the same situation, got a masters degree and worked as university lecturer and medical researcher / advisor so why not?

All Sami needed to do was keep the Geffen money in an index fund until peak Nokia 😀
The words "DemonFilth" and "critical thinking ability" have NEVER been seen in the same sentence. Except that one.
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:55 pm

""""""""""""""""What did/does he do for a living? Wash dishes in a restaurant?""""""""""""""""""

Very ignorant to say...

""""""""""""""""""""The guy has been in bands for ages, but none of them could have paid the equivalent of minimum wage."""""""""""""""""""""""""

How would you know what Hanoi Rocks makes, made or pays him, last week or 30 years ago? You don't.

What do you know about his life? His family? Finland? His history beyond some random stuff you read on the internet?

In truth... nothing... which is why you are asking this question. Fair?

But thinking he washes dishes for a living or makes minimum wage is lame.

$tEvil
This.

The way people try to pidgeonhole people's level of wealth based on tiny bits of info is hilarious.

You never know how much someone is worth. People everyone assumes must be rich are broke as a joke, people who people think "must wash dishes to make ends meet" might've been a millionaire since they were 20, yada yada.

It's the silliest shit.