new BLACK CROWES album announced: "Happiness Bastards"

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

SexxAtraxxion
Cockblocked by Poison

new BLACK CROWES album announced: "Happiness Bastards"

Post by SexxAtraxxion »

New song "Wanting and Waiting" :arrow: https://youtu.be/G31MZzqH4ZA

https://pitchfork.com/news/the-black-cr ... ng-listen/
Georgia rock band the Black Crowes have returned. Brothers Chris and Rich Robinson have announced Happiness Bastards, their 10th studio album first LP of original material in 15 years. The record is out March 15 via the band’s own Silver Arrow Records. Today, the Black Crowes have shared lead single “Wanting and Waiting,” as well as the 10-song tracklist for Happiness Bastards. Check those out below.

“Happiness Bastards is our love letter to rock’n’roll,” Black Crowes frontman Chris Robinson said in press materials. “Rich and I are always writing and creating music; that has never stopped for us, and it is always where we find harmony together. This record represents that.”

Rich Robinson added: “This album is a continuation of our story as a band. Our years of experience writing and making music and touring the world are represented in this record, and we were brilliantly guided by one of the best producers in the business, Jay Joyce. I am incredibly proud of what we put together.”

Happiness Bastards was produced by Jay Joyce, and features vocals from country singer Lainey Wilson on “Wilted Rose.” The Black Crowes cut the album in early 2023 with Joyce and longtime bassist Sven Pipien.
My music library at last.fm:
https://www.last.fm/user/JonathanHalen
That-guy
Cockblocked by Poison

Re: new BLACK CROWES album announced: "Happiness Bastards"

Post by That-guy »

Looking forward to hearing a new Black Crowes album. The new song is giving strong Jealous Again vibes, which isn’t a bad thing.
Spongie
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Spongie »

That-guy wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:34 am The new song is giving strong Jealous Again vibes…
Vibes?? I’m pretty sure it IS Jealous Again… re-released.
sirthx2
Doing 10 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by sirthx2 »

Spongie wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:44 am
That-guy wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:34 am The new song is giving strong Jealous Again vibes…
Vibes?? I’m pretty sure it IS Jealous Again… re-released.
Yeah, the verse you'd almost think this is a Jealous Again demo with the original lyrics. They get away from it though. I'll take it.
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
Spongie

Post by Spongie »

These guys need to fire their band photographer.

“Okay Rich… show me your best thousand-yard stare. Richie… I need deader eyes bud. Try to look more worried… thaaaaat’s it.”

SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

Whyyyyyy are so many rock bands using this soft (likely sampled) snare sound lately!?

Not a bad song. It sounds like The Black Crowes probably should sound in their 50s. With a shit snare sound. And that shit snare sound is going to sound exactly the same for the entire album. There’s no crack/attack to it and that ruins it for me.

Speaking of Jealous Again, what brings it to life is the cracking snare in the beginning!
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
thechefs2003
Forming a Band

Post by thechefs2003 »

I love it! I hear more of a Cheap Trick "Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Peace" vibe to it.
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Music is good. Verse melody is indeed Jealous Again.... Chorus melody doesn't exist. Needs a better hook.

The snare sound is the least of their problems here.
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

Cool song
Black Crows cool enough to play Aftershock 2024?
Iron Maiden headlines a night- Black Crows could
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
Fletch
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Fletch »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:09 am Whyyyyyy are so many rock bands using this soft (likely sampled) snare sound lately!?

Not a bad song. It sounds like The Black Crowes probably should sound in their 50s. With a shit snare sound. And that shit snare sound is going to sound exactly the same for the entire album. There’s no crack/attack to it and that ruins it for me.

Speaking of Jealous Again, what brings it to life is the cracking snare in the beginning!
Not having Steve Gorman behind the kit probably has a lot to do with it. Dude was a monster drummer. The touring guy they had - Brian Griffin from Richard Marx’s band - is supposedly who was used on the albums tracks.
ParaDime77
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by ParaDime77 »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:09 am Whyyyyyy are so many rock bands using this soft (likely sampled) snare sound lately!?

The Nashville sounding snare that has taken over country singles the past 3-4 years. Will definitely sell dated in a decade or so.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
Whatever Happened To…
Headlining Clubs

Post by Whatever Happened To… »

Vocals sound a lot like Paul Stanley!
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

Whatever Happened To… wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:58 am Vocals sound a lot like Paul Stanley!
Perfectly in pitch?
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

ParaDime77 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:41 pm

The Nashville sounding snare that has taken over country singles the past 3-4 years. Will definitely sell dated in a decade or so.

This makes sense, I believe they’ve been based out of Nashville since the brothers made up? And, yeah, exactly, it’s gonna sound dated as fuck down the line.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
Charles Bukaki
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Charles Bukaki »

Not horrible but just a run of the mill Black Crowes song, Gorman is sorely missed. I guess I'd rather have this than nothing from the Brothers Robinson but their best days are obviously behind them. I wonder what kind of money is keeping them together at this point.
Ziggy Sawdust

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

Charles Bukaki wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:54 am Not horrible but just a run of the mill Black Crowes song, Gorman is sorely missed. I guess I'd rather have this than nothing from the Brothers Robinson but their best days are obviously behind them. I wonder what kind of money is keeping them together at this point.

Marc Ford too, but both stints he had in the band he had fell off the wagon and couldn’t stay sober.
Hell'sHungryChild wrote:
I have no desire to pay $150 to see an ant sized Ac/Dc and drink $12 beer cups.
EvilRockPosh
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by EvilRockPosh »

That drum sound really is distractingly bad.
Nunose wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:59 am Goddamn this shit is exhausting...and people still believe his shit.

You can tell all the people who have been bought and paid for by big pharma

Kiss
Metal Sludge
etc..
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

I like the main riff, but after the recycled Jealous Again verse melody, the song doesn't go anywhere. And IMO, the song almost sounds like the was awkwardly pieced together in the studio, it doesn't have a natural flow.
skatexedge
Headlining Clubs

Post by skatexedge »

Not having Steve Gorman behind the kit probably has a lot to do with it. Dude was a monster drummer. The touring guy they had - Brian Griffin from Richard Marx’s band - is supposedly who was used on the albums tracks.
Steve Gorman was great in that band.
His book, Hard To Handle, about his time in the band is an interesting read.
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

The opening riff makes me happy, like in a "new Black Crowes song/riff" kinda way, but then it goes nowhere. Had the same tingly feeling the first time I hear the opening riff for Angry from the Stones, however, it then went somewhere, and then even went somewhere again. Hoping for more.
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
whoami
Playing Frat Parties

Post by whoami »

The Robinson brothers are miserable cunts.
ElectrickMagick

Post by ElectrickMagick »

Whatever Happened To… wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:58 am Vocals sound a lot like Paul Stanley!
I totally hear it, and I get the comparisons to "Jealous Again" too. It's not a bad song, but it's not great either.

That "I'm nothing but lonely . ." section really sounds like Stanley.
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Crazy how much love this band gets. 2 big albums. 1 did ok.

Are they more of a live/jam band? Or just a big cult following? Similar to Widespread Panic?
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Ziggy Sawdust

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:48 pm Crazy how much love this band gets. 2 big albums. 1 did ok.

Are they more of a live/jam band? Or just a big cult following? Similar to Widespread Panic?
Depends who’s in the band. As mentioned they had a virtuoso guitarist called Marc Ford when creating those live jams.

All their albums are good to great apart from Lions and By Your Side, I could care less about the albums sales. The brothers solo stuff is great too.
Hell'sHungryChild wrote:
I have no desire to pay $150 to see an ant sized Ac/Dc and drink $12 beer cups.
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:48 pm Crazy how much love this band gets. 2 big albums. 1 did ok.

Not a jam band anymore. They are now a LiveNation branded, dare I say, corporate rock band. No experimentation and the songs are familiar and played straight off the record. I’m not saying that like it’s a bad thing, I don’t need to hear a 20 min Thorn In My Pride or My Morning Song anymore.

Band has changed members almost more the past 4 years of touring than they have since their inception. No clue who’s actually played on the new record.
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

Fletch wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:26 am
DemonFilth2001 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:48 pm They are now a LiveNation branded, dare I say, corporate rock band.
Sponsored by Miller beer.
thebends
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by thebends »

Looking forward to album

What a great live band!
SexxAtraxxion
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by SexxAtraxxion »

:arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0shuvHxyE0

new song "Cross Your Fingers"
SexxAtraxxion
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by SexxAtraxxion »

:arrow: https://open.spotify.com/album/2P9mQHy3lFG8OhPKqg3XeX

New album released to streaming platforms
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

whoami wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:44 pm The Robinson brothers are miserable cunts.
It must be no fun playing in this band.