David Lee Roth, Cinderella, Extreme Tour 1991

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

ijwthstd
Platinum Artist

Re: David Lee Roth, Cinderella, Extreme Tour 1991

Post by ijwthstd »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:20 pm
Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:28 pm
Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:43 am The difference between GnR and the Stones is that GnR was dabbling in Stonesy-sounding stuff, but Cinderella was trying to remake their whole image and sound (see also their little bro Dizzy Dean with Black Eyed Susan), and, as judged by the poor album and ticket sales, the public wasn't buying.
Remember when GNR did that dumb reggae part during Knocking On Heaven’s Door?

They made a bigger change between Night Songs and LCW than they did between LCW and Heartbreak Station

I blame David Lee Roth’s presence on that tour for the drag in sales. No one wanted to see him. There was also no clear headliner from what I remember reading. Sometimes Cinderella would close while DLR would other times.
Now you're just making shit up Kiefer. DLR was always the headliner.
David Lee Roth closed every night but both he and Cinderella played 75-80 min sets and were presented as co-headliners though he knows what the financials were.
"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Yes. Sphincter boy thought that they flip-flopped opening/closing like the Sam and Dave tour. Not the case.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Tommy2Tone84
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:43 am The difference between GnR and the Stones is that GnR was dabbling in Stonesy-sounding stuff, but Cinderella was trying to remake their whole image and sound (see also their little bro Dizzy Dean with Black Eyed Susan), and, as judged by the poor album and ticket sales, the public wasn't buying.

They made a bigger change between Night Songs and LCW than they did between LCW and Heartbreak Station

I blame David Lee Roth’s presence on that tour for the drag in sales. No one wanted to see him. There was also no clear headliner from what I remember reading. Sometimes Cinderella would close while DLR would other times.

From my understanding and everything I’ve read, they switched back and forth. There are dates that I’ve seen where Extreme was the middle band and Roth was the opener. Extreme was outselling both acts at the time.

Maybe someone who saw that leg of the tour, summer 1991 can confirm
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

ijwthstd wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:21 pm

David Lee Roth closed every night but both he and Cinderella played 75-80 min sets and were presented as co-headliners though he knows what the financials were.

No wonder the tour tanked. Roth was old and out of touch. Expired product. Had he kept Steve and Bill around to ride their coattails a little longer he might’ve been alright. It might’ve made up for his receding hairline

Extreme should’ve been the headliner. They were outselling both of them at the time.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:19 pm There are dates that I’ve seen where Extreme was the middle band and Roth was the opener.

skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Mister Freeze wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:29 pm
Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:19 pm There are dates that I’ve seen where Extreme was the middle band and Roth was the opener.

:lol:

Doesn’t change that Extreme was outselling both Roth and Cinderella at the time.

Roth was old hat who was such a miserable douche he lost two bands within a five year span. He was a liability by then.

Cinderella fans and hairband fans were fickle and had no loyalty.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:19 pm

From my understanding and everything I’ve read, they switched back and forth. There are dates that I’ve seen where Extreme was the middle band and Roth was the opener. Extreme was outselling both acts at the time.

Maybe someone who saw that leg of the tour, summer 1991 can confirm
I did. Now sit back down.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:25 pm

Extreme should’ve been the headliner. They were outselling both of them at the time.
Extreme were a two ballad band. Far from arena headliner material.
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:07 am
LurkingAtWork wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:47 am
Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:57 pm

What’s wrong with the saxophone? The Stones started using sax and horn players back in the 70s.

Dave started using horns on his first solo ep. Dave has synth all over Skyscraper. He has horns and synth all over ALAE. He did a duet with with Travis Tritt on the next album

Guns N Roses female backup singers played some horns.

Why are you giving Cinderella such sh*t for going outside the box.
Wait, you're using those examples a things that DON'T suck? :D

No, I’m listing them as hypocrisy on fans part. I thought GNR using the girls was much more low rent Stones than Cinderella using a sax player.

Come to think of it, I think Cinderella had backup singers too on that tour. The Black Crowes started using backup vocalists in 1992. They didn’t get shit for it

I’ve never been able to figure out hair metal and rock fans. We supported LCW but not HBS
I’d say we didn’t support all that.
The “bluesy” stuff killed the genre more than grunge.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Yep. Dizzy Dean quit Britny Fox around the same time to make a blues-rock album with Blackeyed Susan and it sank like a stone.
tapsmiled
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by tapsmiled »

Saw this show at Miami Arena. Extreme was great, but Nuno was having guitar issues during More Than Words. He smashed the guitar and left Gary in the middle of the song. The crowd sang the rest of the song with Gary acapella. It was pretty cool.

I’ve never been a huge Cinderella fan, but they kicked ass. Keifer is crazy talented.

Roth was AWFUL. His band did all the singing while he spoke almost all of his parts. I think he was more preoccupied with the big inflatable legs and microphone. Cinderella blew everyone away that night.
AngryAgain wrote:FUCK YOU LEPPARDCUNTIOWA - TAKE A WALK IN MY SHOES U PIECE OF SHIT
cookie wrote:last I checked you couldn't catch ecoli from your chuff.
CrouchingStonerHiddenBong wrote:Even clot-eating one armed push-upping cellphone carriers have standards.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Love_Industry wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:01 am

And people around here claim that I’m dumb.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

DangerZone wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:38 am
Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:07 am
LurkingAtWork wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:47 am

Wait, you're using those examples a things that DON'T suck? :D

No, I’m listing them as hypocrisy on fans part. I thought GNR using the girls was much more low rent Stones than Cinderella using a sax player.

Come to think of it, I think Cinderella had backup singers too on that tour. The Black Crowes started using backup vocalists in 1992. They didn’t get shit for it

I’ve never been able to figure out hair metal and rock fans. We supported LCW but not HBS
I’d say we didn’t support all that.
The “bluesy” stuff killed the genre more than grunge.

Long Cold Winter was equally as “bluesy” and it went triple platinum two years before.

Everyone around here seems to love Dogs D’Amour and London Quireboys. Neither were popular but their balls get washed around here a lot.

AC/DC, Van Halen, Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, Hanoi Rocks, LA Guns, Faster Pussycat were all very “bluesy.”
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:10 am Yep. Dizzy Dean quit Britny Fox around the same time to make a blues-rock album with Blackeyed Susan and it sank like a stone.
That’s because Dizzy was a low rent, wannabe Tom Keifer who hopped on the glam metal band wagon only to hop off in the wake of the Black Crowes first record going multi platinum. He was a trend jumper. Also no one cared about him in the first place. SYMM sold five million between 1990 and 1991.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

tapsmiled wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:15 pm Saw this show at Miami Arena. Extreme was great, but Nuno was having guitar issues during More Than Words. He smashed the guitar and left Gary in the middle of the song. The crowd sang the rest of the song with Gary acapella. It was pretty cool.

I’ve never been a huge Cinderella fan, but they kicked ass. Keifer is crazy talented.

Roth was AWFUL. His band did all the singing while he spoke almost all of his parts. I think he was more preoccupied with the big inflatable legs and microphone. Cinderella blew everyone away that night.
Spot on post. Sounds about right given what I’ve seen of all three bands over the years.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:42 pm
Love_Industry wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:01 am

And people around here claim that I’m dumb.
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/d3d4c5a9-2 ... c9d4bfc1bd
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

These kind of 1991 time capsules are great to look back on. Alice Cooper/Judas Priest/Motorhead/Dangerous Toys/Metal Church is another fun one. Looked so good on paper. 14 year old me thought he had tickets to the biggest tour in the history of music. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why there only couple thousand people at the Richfield Coliseum. Keep in mind, that place was HUGE, when a show only drew 2 or 3,000 people, you saw it and felt it.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

Based on my experience, 85-89 was the pinnacle of hair metal. It was the perfect storm of one big party with MTV, teens w/ newly discovered testosterone, spring break, etc.... During this era the pre/early teens were listing to Menudo, Wham/George Michael, Cyndi Lauper, etc..., so by the time the 91' rolled around the original teens (me) were now older, settling down, looking for jobs, etc....and there were no younger kids to back-fill us and the party scene went away. It was on it's way out before grunge. Fast forward 15-20 years those same orignal teens were now in the late 30's/40's wanting to give it one more go around and it was the rebirth of the era with Rocklahoma and such.
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

cowpins wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:32 am Based on my experience, 85-89 was the pinnacle of hair metal. It was the perfect storm of one big party with MTV, teens w/ newly discovered testosterone, spring break, etc.... During this era the pre/early teens were listing to Menudo, Wham/George Michael, Cyndi Lauper, etc..., so by the time the 91' rolled around the original teens (me) were now older, settling down, looking for jobs, etc....and there were no younger kids to back-fill us and the party scene went away. It was on its way out before grunge.
Yes! As evidenced by this thread. Roth and Cinderella were sellout arena headliners just 3 years earlier, but they couldn't give tickets away to this tour.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

cowpins wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:32 am Based on my experience, 85-89 was the pinnacle of hair metal. It was the perfect storm of one big party with MTV, teens w/ newly discovered testosterone, spring break, etc.... During this era the pre/early teens were listing to Menudo, Wham/George Michael, Cyndi Lauper, etc..., so by the time the 91' rolled around the original teens (me) were now older, settling down, looking for jobs, etc....and there were no younger kids to back-fill us and the party scene went away. It was on it's way out before grunge. Fast forward 15-20 years those same orignal teens were now in the late 30's/40's wanting to give it one more go around and it was the rebirth of the era with Rocklahoma and such.
People tend to forget that whatever your older siblings into is eventually going to be considered "lame." If you were a young - like elementary aged kid - during the pinnacle of hair metal, you didn't want to be part of that bullshit scene by the time your were riding your own bike or taking the bus to high school. If it wasn't "grunge" it would've been something else but it sure as fuck wasn't going to be Poison with "Stand" or Firehouse with anything. :lol:
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Tymaster wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:16 am These kind of 1991 time capsules are great to look back on. Alice Cooper/Judas Priest/Motorhead/Dangerous Toys/Metal Church is another fun one. Looked so good on paper. 14 year old me thought he had tickets to the biggest tour in the history of music. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why there only couple thousand people at the Richfield Coliseum. Keep in mind, that place was HUGE, when a show only drew 2 or 3,000 people, you saw it and felt it.
Didn't all bands on the bill pretty much bomb with their then-current albums? Metal Church and Dangerous Toys got dropped after their 1991 albums, Painkiller barely went gold, Hey Stoopid didn't even do that and 1916... not sure how it sold but it's one of the least mentioned Motörhead albums.

Stoopid and Painkiller seemed huge when they came out but numbers don't lie. The fans didn't like them enough to buy them, so it was logical that they had to do a package tour and that the tour didn't sell.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

Love_Industry wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:37 am
Tymaster wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:16 am These kind of 1991 time capsules are great to look back on. Alice Cooper/Judas Priest/Motorhead/Dangerous Toys/Metal Church is another fun one. Looked so good on paper. 14 year old me thought he had tickets to the biggest tour in the history of music. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why there only couple thousand people at the Richfield Coliseum. Keep in mind, that place was HUGE, when a show only drew 2 or 3,000 people, you saw it and felt it.
Didn't all bands on the bill pretty much bomb with their then-current albums? Metal Church and Dangerous Toys got dropped after their 1991 albums, Painkiller barely went gold, Hey Stoopid didn't even do that and 1916... not sure how it sold but it's one of the least mentioned Motörhead albums.

Stoopid and Painkiller seemed huge when they came out but numbers don't lie. The fans didn't like them enough to buy them, so it was logical that they had to do a package tour and that the tour didn't sell.
Right, loical now. Not when I was a teen. It's not as if I was walking into the arena in 1991 going "Soundscan numbers look bad for these guys, I bet the gate is low." That was the kinda the point of my post. :lol:
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

In LA, they held a Stoopid Sale after AC was on Stern where you could get the CD for 91 cents at Tower Records. That's how bad it was.
ijwthstd
Platinum Artist

Post by ijwthstd »

And this was the 2nd leg of Painkiller for Priest, having just played all of the same markets with Megadeth and Testament who were much stronger openers.
"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Five bands feels like a long night for a lineup of acts who were in their "just okay" eras. I can see why this tour was the "hard pass" of 1991.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:10 am Five bands feels like a long night for a lineup of acts who were in their "just okay" eras. I can see why this tour was the "hard pass" of 1991.
In 1988, five bands was the Monsters of Rock US tour. The UK MoR at Donington the same year had six bands.
Seems pretty desperate to have an arena tour with five bands. Was this a merger of some kind, Priest did their own arena run before but did Cooper? I know he headlined in Europe. I could see Cooper and Dangerous Toys being one package and Priest / Metal Church another. Motörhead could be on either tour especially in the early 90s.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

1991 was a legendarily bad year for the concert business. Promoters were doing whatever they could to try and salvage the summer.
ijwthstd
Platinum Artist

Post by ijwthstd »

Love_Industry wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:58 pm
Mister Freeze wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:10 am Five bands feels like a long night for a lineup of acts who were in their "just okay" eras. I can see why this tour was the "hard pass" of 1991.
In 1988, five bands was the Monsters of Rock US tour. The UK MoR at Donington the same year had six bands.
Seems pretty desperate to have an arena tour with five bands. Was this a merger of some kind, Priest did their own arena run before but did Cooper? I know he headlined in Europe. I could see Cooper and Dangerous Toys being one package and Priest / Metal Church another. Motörhead could be on either tour especially in the early 90s.
The tour was put together by Sony to promote their artists. It was also announced maybe 6 weeks from tour kickoff too with a lot of dates being re-routed, canceled, downsized along the way.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

ijwthstd wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:52 pm
Love_Industry wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:58 pm
The tour was put together by Sony to promote their artists. It was also announced maybe 6 weeks from tour kickoff too with a lot of dates being re-routed, canceled, downsized along the way.
Seems like the NEO show was supposed to be Blossom but was moved to Richfield. Which would've made zero difference. Sony released a home video to coincide and I believe the bands were on the ABC In Concert series that summer. None of it mattered, lol.
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

5500 views on this thread should have all 3 groups looking into a package tour for later this year.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch