Warrant Ultraphobic Tour

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

ParaDime77
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Warrant Ultraphobic Tour

Post by ParaDime77 »

Piggybacking a bit on the DLR/Cinderella tour thread, warrant puts out the ultra phobic album in the mid-1990s. For a hair metal band this was very uncharted waters and obviously the draw was getting very late as far as attendance in ticket sales. Did the band tour this album heavy or was it an abbreviated rod? Did they have openers or were they merely club dates?
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
Dave Muffstaine
Doing 10 Questions with Metal Sludge

Re: Warrant Ultraphobic Tour

Post by Dave Muffstaine »

Not sure how accurate it is, but a quick search pulled this up: https://guestpectacular.com/artists/war ... ltraphobic
rockker
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by rockker »

I’m pretty sure I saw them on this tour in Winnipeg… in a small ass club… that was packed to the rafters
Kiss fans are like old men at the strip club. We know we're getting bilked but give 'em our money anyway. - Danko Jones
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Ultaphobic was a weird, murky period. The album itself wasn't easy to get. I tracked it down long after the original release date. It was almost like an import.

Not sure about the Ultraphobic tour specifically, but I saw Warrant a bunch of times in the mid-90s at the House of Blues in Chicago. Ratt too. It was a regular thing.

At the beginning of the Dog Eat Dog tour, Warrant headlined a radio festival in Chicago (Blazefest) with Saigon Kick and a few other bands opening. It was in an indoor soccer arena and drew something like 5,000 people. It was a good night for them and things went to shit afterwards.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
War_in_D
Taking Music Lessons

Post by War_in_D »

rockker wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:10 pm I’m pretty sure I saw them on this tour in Winnipeg… in a small ass club… that was packed to the rafters
They were there in early 1997. Belly To Belly tour. I think the venue was The Junkyard. Something on Osborne anyway. Not The Zoo.

I was there. Drunk.
VinnieStJohn
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by VinnieStJohn »

Saw them on this tour - I think they only did 2-3 off the record? I only remember Family Picnic. The band was never the same after Jani left and came back.

Honestly - the last fun Warrant show I attended was a small packed club in NorCal not long after Jamie (Jaime?) joined the band. The band was having a blast and the crowd ate it up. It was a sweaty good time.

The band sounds great in its current iteration, but Robert always looks bored and is constantly checking his watch
Indy_Rob
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Indy_Rob »

Yep, they toured in support of the album. I saw that tour at Piere's in Ft. Wayne in '95. James Kottak just left the band and Bobby Borg was the new drummer. Great show. They played a few from the new album including Stronger Now. Don't remember much about the setlist otherwise. Band came out and hung with the crowd afterward at the bar. All were cool except Jerry. Jani and Rick Steier were exceptionally cool that night. Took several pictures that I still have today. .
skunklovestiger
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by skunklovestiger »

Saw that tour here in Munich, Germany in 1995. Place (club) was packed and they did an incredible show. At one point Jani played drums on 2 songs including a Queen Cover.
This was still with Kottak.
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

ParaDime77 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:55 pm or were they merely club dates?
First time I saw the band was on this tour. It was at a club. It was packed but it was odd. The songs from this album did not blend in well with the older songs. Jani just did an acoustic medley of the ballads. They didn't play them like the record. With a new guitar player and drummer it just didn't sound like the original band anyway. The vibe was off.

It was a little sad to be honest. Remember this was about 30 years ago! They really literally went from touring arenas selling millions of records to putting out an album on a relatively small label (CMC) and playing clubs. It's not like seeing the band now where they are older and more humble. RIP Jani!
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
greengoblinrulz
Headlining Clubs

Post by greengoblinrulz »

Warrant started Cherry Pie tour in Bismarck ND, where I lived & sold it out
Dog Eat Dog came thru & it was 50% max at Civic Center in Nov 92
By 94s Ultraphobic, they were playing the local rock club & selling out the 500 capacity (95 they came back & did an outside show at same club as the demand was more than capacity).
Saw em in 96 opening for Vince Neil in Fargo to half filled 4k place.
Was a rough time when 2/3 of fans completely bailed on that scene.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Indy_Rob wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:11 pm Yep, they toured in support of the album. I saw that tour at Piere's in Ft. Wayne in '95. James Kottak just left the band and Bobby Borg was the new drummer. Great show. They played a few from the new album including Stronger Now. Don't remember much about the setlist otherwise. Band came out and hung with the crowd afterward at the bar. All were cool except Jerry. Jani and Rick Steier were exceptionally cool that night. Took several pictures that I still have today. .
Never knew that Warrant morphed into Kingdome Clone Jr. during the 90s.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Indy_Rob

Post by Indy_Rob »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:33 am
Indy_Rob wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:11 pm Yep, they toured in support of the album. I saw that tour at Piere's in Ft. Wayne in '95. James Kottak just left the band and Bobby Borg was the new drummer. Great show. They played a few from the new album including Stronger Now. Don't remember much about the setlist otherwise. Band came out and hung with the crowd afterward at the bar. All were cool except Jerry. Jani and Rick Steier were exceptionally cool that night. Took several pictures that I still have today. .
Right! It was a weird era for them for sure. I never understood why they sacked Steven Sweet. And then they came out that abortion, Belly to Belly.
Fat_Elvis
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Fat_Elvis »

VinnieStJohn wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:56 pm Robert always looks bored and is constantly checking his watch
Same with me when I've seen them with Robert.
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

greengoblinrulz wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:30 am Warrant started Cherry Pie tour in Bismarck ND, where I lived & sold it out
Dog Eat Dog came thru & it was 50% max at Civic Center in Nov 92
By 94s Ultraphobic, they were playing the local rock club & selling out the 500 capacity (95 they came back & did an outside show at same club as the demand was more than capacity).
Saw em in 96 opening for Vince Neil in Fargo to half filled 4k place.
Was a rough time when 2/3 of fans completely bailed on that scene.
Eddie’s Club by 94/95. Tiny spot.

Warrant kicking off the CP tour was quite a time to be alive as a teen. Crowd was bonkers that night.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

ParaDime77 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:55 pm Piggybacking a bit on the DLR/Cinderella tour thread, warrant puts out the ultra phobic album in the mid-1990s. For a hair metal band this was very uncharted waters and obviously the draw was getting very late as far as attendance in ticket sales. Did the band tour this album heavy or was it an abbreviated rod? Did they have openers or were they merely club dates?
Their career was DOA. They lost two guys, added three and were playing bars in support of that album.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Indy_Rob wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:44 am
Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:33 am
Right! It was a weird era for them for sure. I never understood why they sacked Steven Sweet. And then they came out that abortion, Belly to Belly.
Because Jani was a miserable drunk and addict chasing trends in hopes the masses would still accept him as hair metal’s John Lennon.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Generation X. We are complex.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:49 pm
Because Jani was a miserable drunk and addict chasing trends in hopes the masses would still accept him as hair metal’s John Lennon.
Sadly this has some truth to it. I thought the classic 3 Warrant albums were natural progressions. Dog Eat Dog was an obvious attempt to be more mature but it still sounded like Warrant.

Ultraphobic, Belly to Belly and his pop/punk solo record just went off on tangents.

I don't think Jani wanted to be John Lennon though. That was Donnie Vie (who apparently is another miserable drunk and addict but he is still with us thankfully and his last solo record is fantastic! It's called Beautiful Things. Check it out.)
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
StateOfShock
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by StateOfShock »

Ultraphobic is a fantastic album that features the best song Jani ever wrote. For me, Ultraphobic and Dog Eat Dog were Jani at his best as a songwriter.

I remember there used to be a good quality video from the Ultraphobic tour on YouTube, but I can't find the one I remember.

There is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PVCQbyK8Jc&t=352s
skinni
Having Slaughter Open for You

Post by skinni »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:59 pm Ultaphobic was a weird, murky period. The album itself wasn't easy to get. I tracked it down long after the original release date. It was almost like an import.

Not sure about the Ultraphobic tour specifically, but I saw Warrant a bunch of times in the mid-90s at the House of Blues in Chicago. Ratt too. It was a regular thing.

At the beginning of the Dog Eat Dog tour, Warrant headlined a radio festival in Chicago (Blazefest) with Saigon Kick and a few other bands opening. It was in an indoor soccer arena and drew something like 5,000 people. It was a good night for them and things went to shit afterwards.
I fully agree that their decline initiated with Dog Eat Dog, by that time the scene was on a downward slope. Blast from the past, I was at that show. My ride (a friend who was in the Energy Vampires at the time - you might remember them from the Chicago scene) took a few detours and I missed the openers, but saw majority of Warrant - fun time.
SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Post by SchenkerFan »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:06 am
Sadly this has some truth to it. I thought the classic 3 Warrant albums were natural progressions. Dog Eat Dog was an obvious attempt to be more mature but it still sounded like Warrant.

Ultraphobic, Belly to Belly and his pop/punk solo record just went off on tangents.

I don't think Jani wanted to be John Lennon though. That was Donnie Vie (who apparently is another miserable drunk and addict but he is still with us thankfully and his last solo record is fantastic! It's called Beautiful Things. Check it out.)
I felt like Ultraphobic wasn't that much of a departure from Dog Eat Dog. High, Stronger Now and Ride #2 wouldn't have been out of place on that album.
MisterSinister
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by MisterSinister »

I love all the warrant records. I love the jabberwocky record. I love the Saints of the Underground record. I love the “Back Down to One” record. I love everything I ever heard that jani wrote. And I’m thankful that warrant still plays his songs live.

I saw them Summer 1990 at Red Rocks at the peak of their fame, Winter 1997 in a shitty little bar in a strip mall at their nadir, Summer 2004 in an arena opening for Whitesnake, and in a 700 seat room with the new singer a few years back. Every band was different, and I loved every show.
gtrjay

Post by gtrjay »

Mister Freeze wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:46 am Generation X. We are complex.
:lol:

Except most of us in Gen X just don’t care.
I’m completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. These two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin - Modern Philosopher
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:06 am

It was mostly fans on here where I first heard that. I actually remember Nikki Sixx comparing himself to John Lennon in interviews for MC94. When he was called out on it, he backpedaled and claimed fans had made the comparison.

Jani never compared himself but fans here have and while Jani may not have had the confidence to buy into, his forced, unfocused attempts to keep up with the musical joneses post DED prove he seemed to think

Donnie has turned his life around, He appears to be very sober these days and is being very productive. I know he’s not popular around here but I find his catalog much more impressive than his average peer such as Jani, Bret and Nikki. Donnie is a very underrated songwriter. I admit he is a John Lennon wannabe but so is Ty Tabor. That original EZN lineup is one of the best bands of the genre.
SeniorGrande
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by SeniorGrande »

I'm not sure what they were touring, but I saw them at an amusement park the day before my 16th birthday in Aug '94.

He introduced a new song, saying it would be on their new album in January. "High" I believe was the only new song they played that night.

Jani played drums at one point, I don't remember the song he did it on.
steviedoes
Recording Debut Album

Post by steviedoes »

SeniorGrande wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:18 pm I'm not sure what they were touring, but I saw them at an amusement park the day before my 16th birthday in Aug '94.

He introduced a new song, saying it would be on their new album in January. "High" I believe was the only new song they played that night.

Jani played drums at one point, I don't remember the song he did it on.
When I saw them in June of 95, Jani played drums while James Kottak (RIP) sang "Should I Stay Or Should I Go". It was a great show. Jani played a solo acoustic song that was never released, called something like "Build Me Up".
New Fuzzruckus single "I Never Liked You The Way You Thought I Did" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkS904a ... t1cw%3D%3D
Indy_Rob

Post by Indy_Rob »

Does anyone recall why James Kottak left (or was fired)? He didn't even make it through the touring cycle of the album he played on.
roxxxtar
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by roxxxtar »

I saw them in Greensboro (or Winston Salem) on this tour.
I remember them playing Followed, Family Picnic, and Crawl Space.