Blind Melon were better than Pearl Jam

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Blind Melon were better than Pearl Jam

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Alright, have a good night, y'all.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: Blind Melon were better than Pearl Jam

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Well, this simply isn't true. I bought the CD. Was average at best. Nothing memorable on it besides the overplayed bumblebee song.

If that dude wasn't in a GnR video and didn't die...they'd just be another one hit Wonder. Like the Screaming Trees.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

^^^ Well, they basically were a one-hit wonder regardless. Chip's post prompted me to pull up the debut on Spotify last night. Hadn't listened to it in years. Love the production on it. All the instruments sound crystal clear. Songs are good. They had their own vibe.

Started browsing their Wikipedia and was surprised to see the album was certified 4x Platinum. I remember them having a big moment, but not that big. The benefits of a pre-Napster, pre-streaming world, I guess.

By comparison, the follow-up didn't even make Gold. Didn't help that the singer died on tour for it. I remember the lead single ("Galaxie") getting the royal treatment on MTV, but hadn't heard it since then. Had to pull that one up too.

Anyway, we need to start a book club type thing where we revisit old albums and talk about them like old ladies.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Nah. “No Rain”, “Dear Ol’ Dad”, and “Tones of Home” are good, but Pearl Jam buries Blind Melon overall. Let it be known…
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Chip, are you okay? Are you taking drugs?

Had you said Collective Soul or Bang Tango I would’ve been all
“Right on my dude bro”

I found Blind Melon disappointing
HoldenSSV
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by HoldenSSV »

Another case of "the deader he is, the better they were" syndrome. See also: Sublime.
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

I remember being throughly bored with them and liking Ten better at the time. Now I don’t really like either
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:57 am ^^^ Well, they basically were a one-hit wonder regardless. Chip's post prompted me to pull up the debut on Spotify last night. Hadn't listened to it in years. Love the production on it. All the instruments sound crystal clear. Songs are good. They had their own vibe.

Started browsing their Wikipedia and was surprised to see the album was certified 4x Platinum. I remember them having a big moment, but not that big.
That bee girl video was on every hour. That's all it took back then... remember people didn't buy singles anymore, they just bought the whole CD. Amazing how long that that went on.

Irony alert: the same guy produced both of their debut albums.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Lobo
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Lobo »

The debut album did great, but how many bands can we say that about?
Plus, the singer dies on tour and that album couldnt even get past gold status? Usually theres a huge jump in sales when it comes to that.

PJs first three albums are classic. Everything after that is hit and miss but built later rep on great live shows.

PJ wins this battle every time and i can honestly say they have fallen out of favour with me over the last few years
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Not a fan of either really but it seems unlikely...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:08 am Chip, are you okay? Are you taking drugs?

Had you said Collective Soul or Bang Tango I would’ve been all
“Right on my dude bro”

I found Blind Melon disappointing
Collective Soul wouldn't have been a fair comparison. They're better than most bands period.
Last edited by DemonFilth2001 on Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
CrankerBait
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by CrankerBait »

Blind Melon were OK. The first album was alright, and I think I actually liked the second one a little more. Maybe they could have been something special, but we'll never know.

They never came even slightly close to Pearl Jam, who remain a hugely successful recording and touring act into their fourth decade.
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

They probably should have went with Def Mellon...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
kytepunches
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by kytepunches »

The only rock band worse than Pearl Jam is U2. So Blind Melon is automatically better.
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

kytepunches wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:41 am The only rock band worse than Pearl Jam is U2. So Blind Melon is automatically better.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:29 am Well, this simply isn't true. I bought the CD. Was average at best. Nothing memorable on it besides the overplayed bumblebee song.

If that dude wasn't in a GnR video and didn't die...they'd just be another one hit Wonder. Like the Screaming Trees.
Screaming trees had several albums and were almost grunge elders.
Mark Lanegan went on to much better things.
Not really a one hit wonder
Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:08 am Chip, are you okay? Are you taking drugs?
Yes. That's why I like Blind Melon.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:39 pm
Yes. That's why I like Blind Melon.

Ok, thank you for clarifying. You’re so strong to admit it and own up to your addiction here on the boards. Mucho admiration, mi amigo. We are all here for you, Chip.
killeverything
A Drinking Fan With A Baseball Problem

Post by killeverything »

Yeah, no.

I don't particularly care for either, and it's cool to hate on PJ, because of what they became, and the Temple Creed Of The New bands that they inspired. Blind Melon doesn't have anything as close to as good as "Ten," or the singles and bootlegs before their 2nd release.

I know we're all sick of "Ten." It's like "Appetite" to where it's been played into the ground and you could never hear it again because of it. Do you remember before Pearl Jam were the flannel kings on the radio and MTV every 5 minutes, and when you first heard "Once" by the guys from Mother Love Bone? I do and that album blew my fucking mind how good it was.

Blind Melon has nothing like that.
EyeDocOfRock
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by EyeDocOfRock »

kytepunches wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:41 am The only rock band worse than Pearl Jam is U2. So Blind Melon is automatically better.

One of the most CORRECT things EVER mentioned on this message board !

THANK YOU !!!!
ChipsRoach
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by ChipsRoach »

It would have been real interesting to see how Blind Melon would have evolved. The 2nd album is great, but it just drips of drugs. "Vernie" is about Hoon's grandma, and talks about peaking in front of her and the dip in her mouth. Hoon had a ton of talent but definitely had his demons.
SexxAtraxxion
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by SexxAtraxxion »

Shannon Hoon was a Bon Jovi fan

cover of Wanted Dead or Alive :arrow: https://youtu.be/gvJAXxgEGiY?si=IFzJc0XYyi_CRj-a
My music library at last.fm:
https://www.last.fm/user/JonathanHalen
Darrien
Headlining Clubs

Post by Darrien »

I like the debut enough but Soup is what sold me on Blind Melon, it's a great fucking album! Wasn't appreciated upon release but I know it sells well on vinyl according to my local record store owner.
Even the B sides album Nico has some great tunes.

Never liked PJ so I would have to agree.
Dayman...fighter of the Nightman..
Deputy Hedge

Post by Deputy Hedge »

At exactly the 1:50 mark of Motley Crue's "Wildside" video, Shannon Hoon can be seen - red bandana around his neck - singing along. And at the 4:42 mark, Shannon can be seen pointing at Nikki who is rolling on the stage.

https://youtu.be/4Hihge6FFVw?si=lF9IATWUiy1dUPBP
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

SexxAtraxxion wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:07 am Shannon Hoon was a Bon Jovi fan

cover of Wanted Dead or Alive :arrow: https://youtu.be/gvJAXxgEGiY?si=IFzJc0XYyi_CRj-a

Styff Kytten :D

Love the blonde mullet. This is evidence that if Tuff didn't hit MTV 5 minutes before hair metal died, Stevie Rachelle could've been the singer for Blind Melon.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
alexleehooker
Buying Cool Stage Clothes

Post by alexleehooker »

Pearl Jam debut has 4 or 5 stunning songs

Blind Melon debut is consistently a better listen but doesn’t have quite the same high points, but is a more cohesive single listen

I wish blind melon had officially released the electric version of ‘soul one’.

I wish Pearl jam had kept the songwriting of the first album I’m not sure if they ran out of ideas or just got completely hijacked by Vedder.

It’s a close call to be fair both left behind two of the best debut albums of the 90s.

Someone mentioned Screaming Trees above. They are possibly even better.

Three great 90s alternative rock bands I still listen too and summarise the era.
thebends

Post by thebends »

Pj was better but always loved hearing ‘change’ by Mellon on 1st album
Grendel
Headlining Clubs

Post by Grendel »

Great band! galaxie off of Soup was a great song. First album was great. Unfortunate that No Rain was so overplayed.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Learn the concept of keep your mouth shut or you will remained foed.
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

Darrien wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:08 am I like the debut enough but Soup is what sold me on Blind Melon, it's a great fucking album!
Even the B sides album Nico has some great tunes.
Agreed. I like Pearl Jam too, but not as much.
BulletProofPoet

Post by BulletProofPoet »

alexleehooker wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:21 pm I wish blind melon had officially released the electric version of ‘soul one’.
My favorite Blind Melon song!!