Bands ages when debuting

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

greengoblinrulz
Headlining Clubs

Bands ages when debuting

Post by greengoblinrulz »

Obviously in 80s we didnt have a ton of research or knowledge, but I assumed most bands debut albums had the guys in their early 20s
Wasnt till the past decade when you can actually look up guys ages that you find out how old some guys were
ex
Ratt: Warren was 21 but Pearcy was already 28
Motley: Tommy 20, Vince 21 but Mick 31
Dokken: Don 29, George 28
Love/Hate: Jizzy 32
Quiet Riot: (Metal Health) Banali 32, DuBrow 28, Sarzo 33
Twisted Sister: JJ 30, Dee 27

Were you surprised how old some guys were when it became available?
Who else fits that older bill?
Gibsonite
Cockblocked by Poison

Re: Bands ages when debuting

Post by Gibsonite »

Doug Pinnick of Kings X was 37 when Out of the Silent Planet was released in 1988
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

In Bon Jovi, Alec and Tito pretended to be younger than they were.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
War_in_D
Taking Music Lessons

Post by War_in_D »

I think they initially lied about Pearcy's age. You would sometimes read he was born in '59, when he was actually born in '56.
SexxAtraxxion
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by SexxAtraxxion »

Mr. Big
Eric Martin - 28
Billy Sheehan - 36
Paul Gilbert - 22
Pat Torpey - 35
My music library at last.fm:
https://www.last.fm/user/JonathanHalen
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

Biggest "surprise" was that both Eric Carr and Vinnie Vincent were 30 when they joined Kiss in the early 80s, around the same age as the originals. Bruce Kulick was born just one year after Paul.

Vinnie Vincent Invasion, debut 1986
Robert Fleischman, 33
Dana Strum, 29
Vinnie Vincent, 34
Bobby Rock, 23

Saxon, debut in 1979.
Biff Byford, Paul Quinn, Pete Gill 28
Graham Oliver, Steve Dawson 27

Manowar, debut in 1982:
All 28 except drummer Donnie Hamzik 26
Last edited by Love_Industry on Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

Andy Summers was 35 (soon 36) when The Police's debut was released.
Jet Black was 39 when Strangler's' debut was released.
Ed Cassidy was 45 when Spirit's debut was released.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Hellsinkey wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:36 am Andy Summers was 35 (soon 36) when The Police's debut was released.
Good call. His earliest Discogs credit is from 1965 and he even played on one of Jon Lord's solo albums before Police.
CrankerBait
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by CrankerBait »

When the Stones first album was released, Jagger and Richards would have been just 20. Brian Jones and Charlie Watts were both 22. Bill Wyman, the old man of the group, was about to turn 28.
CrankerBait

Post by CrankerBait »

Love_Industry wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:10 am
Hellsinkey wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:36 am Andy Summers was 35 (soon 36) when The Police's debut was released.
Good call. His earliest Discogs credit is from 1965 and he even played on one of Jon Lord's solo albums before Police.
Great call. He was the first guy that came to mind. He must have been nine or ten years older than the others.
GoodJudge
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by GoodJudge »

This thread wouldn't be right without mention of the classic Sludge interview with Anthony Focx from Beautiful Creatures.
https://metalsludge.tv/classic/?p=28540
I've never heard of him before or since but it's worth a re-read.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

CrankerBait wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:14 am
Love_Industry wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:10 am
Great call. He was the first guy that came to mind. He must have been nine or ten years older than the others.
Also Brian Johnson, 33 when he joined AC/DC and older than the others.
HoldenSSV
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by HoldenSSV »

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Def Leppard:

Rick Allen 16
Rick Savage 19
Joe Elliott 20
Steve Clark 20
Pete Willis 20
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."
MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

TUFF "WCAGA" released May 1991, we were signed roughly 1 year earlier spring/summer 1990.

When Tuff Debut Released (May 1991)
Stevie - 25
Todd - 24
Jorge - 24
Michael - 23

When Tuff Signed to Atlantic (Summer 1990)
Stevie - 24
Todd - 23
Jorge - 23
Michael - 22

When I joined Tuff (July 11th 1987)
Stevie - 21
Todd - 20
Jorge - 20
Michael - 19

$tEvil
factchecker
Picking a Band Name

Post by factchecker »

By debut do you mean when they first picked up a guitar and got lessons from their rich supportive musical parent families?

I'm pretty sure "another forum" "rival" to metal sludge already mentioned how if you watched all those VH-1 documentaries all your rockstar heroes got guitars for Christmas while watching KISS on tv. With parental support and nepo baby contacts gaven them ample time to play with ridiculous sounds, images and concept ideas. Bon Jovi doing the STAR WARS Christmas album being one of them.

Meanwhile you were stuck in the gate at age 16-18 with your Cash Converters knock off secondhand imitation brand guitar? Best of luck with your equally deluded Yellow Pages/Gregs List guitar teacher thinking you have/had a shot at the big time. :lol:
skinni
Having Slaughter Open for You

Post by skinni »

GoodJudge wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:30 am This thread wouldn't be right without mention of the classic Sludge interview with Anthony Focx from Beautiful Creatures.
I think of that A. Focx interview whenever age comes up on here. Great to see that the interview still exists - thanks for the link!
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

The guys in Autograph were all over 30 I think, and at least half of them are dead already.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

Jarvis Cocker of Pulp was 31 when the band broke thru in 1994, he was 20 at the time of the band's debut.
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Rick James was 30 when his first album was released.... 33 when he hit big with "Superfreak".
EzyRider
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by EzyRider »

Charles Bradley released his debut album 'No Time for Dreaming' at 62 :D
It's good to be bad
It's the best time you'll ever have
What the hell is this ultra sad
Pray for your cool and work on that ass!
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by HueyRamone »

factchecker wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:35 am By debut do you mean when they first picked up a guitar and got lessons from their rich supportive musical parent families?

I'm pretty sure "another forum" "rival" to metal sludge already mentioned how if you watched all those VH-1 documentaries all your rockstar heroes got guitars for Christmas while watching KISS on tv. With parental support and nepo baby contacts gaven them ample time to play with ridiculous sounds, images and concept ideas. Bon Jovi doing the STAR WARS Christmas album being one of them.

Meanwhile you were stuck in the gate at age 16-18 with your Cash Converters knock off secondhand imitation brand guitar? Best of luck with your equally deluded Yellow Pages/Gregs List guitar teacher thinking you have/had a shot at the big time. :lol:
Oh, yeah, all those rich rockers, who fall back on their familial millions once the fame stops, and never have to embarrass themselves playing pubs and corndog circuit shows.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
factchecker
Picking a Band Name

Post by factchecker »

HueyRamone wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:18 amOh, yeah, all those rich rockers, who fall back on their familial millions once the fame stops, and never have to embarrass themselves playing pubs and corndog circuit shows.
I'm fully aware that a lot of bands don't make as much money anymore and either pissed it all away. Or their large houses heating bill bankrupted them or they opened a profit losing restaurant etc.

What I was talking about was getting noticed by debut by starting out young. Rather trying to thread the needle with a perfect sound, a perfect debut record and not being too old. Korn, Avril Lavigne and New Found Glory had to toy with multiple musical genre ideas and demos before releasing an official debut. Korn played house parties while young, Lavigne was going to be pop before her Mallrat anthem introduced early 2000 males to "alternative" :roll: and I heard New Found were a hardcore punk band before they went slightly above heavy pop punk.

I do wonder why Vince Neil plays to 100 people at a corn circuit, sells crap quality t-shirts and flys to some dive pub in the UK where no-one knows who he is. Despite allegedly having a nice Vegas property and a revolving door of purse habit girlfriends. Being rich and poor at the same time?
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

factchecker wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:18 am
I do wonder why Vince Neil plays to 100 people at a corn circuit, sells crap quality t-shirts and flys to some dive pub in the UK where no-one knows who he is. Despite allegedly having a nice Vegas property and a revolving door of purse habit girlfriends. Being rich and poor at the same time?
Because without adoring fans and willing sluts around, Vince Neil has to face that he is a fat 62 year old depressed drunk who was cool and looked great 30 years ago, lost his daughter and killed his friend. By keeping busy he keeps some semblance of sanity.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

FreddyFender wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:42 am Rick James was 30 when his first album was released.... 33 when he hit big with "Superfreak".
But he had been kicking around Canada, California, and Buffalo/Niagara for years before then... he was in a group with Neil Young in the 60s, then he got arrested for going AWOL from the Navy. He went back to Buffalo and formed the Stone City Band and then finally signed with Motown.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
MattleyCrue

Post by MattleyCrue »

GoodJudge wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:30 am This thread wouldn't be right without mention of the classic Sludge interview with Anthony Focx from Beautiful Creatures.
Hahaha that was great. Haven’t read that in years!
LAglamrocker wrote:
Walk in Diesel store Melrose with Ashba gear commands respect, not sure you are allowed in with Walmart gear
str
Playing Frat Parties

Post by str »

The singers from Malice and Hericane Alice were in their thirties ,

Todd Jensen said when he was in Hardline that the record label told him to say he was 27 when he was 34 or 33 ,

I always thought Jack Russell was older than he said he was,
and probably other GW members too .
jens

Post by jens »

Dio was a whopping 33 when the first Rainbow album came out.
TravisBicklesMohawk
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by TravisBicklesMohawk »

I think the Runaways were all fifteen or sixteen when they started. I know Lita was 17, making her the oldest at the time.
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
alleyrulez
Platinum Artist

Post by alleyrulez »

good times.

I don't recall, but did he ever respond after the interview was posted?
ChipsRoach

Post by ChipsRoach »

Weren't the guys in Trixter supposed to be in high school when their debut came out? They all looked much older than what was advertised.