Music that made you think your sh*t was broke

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Music that made you think your sh*t was broke

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

As in, your speakers were blown, cables were shorting out, etc.

There's the obvious one for all us mope-rock fans: Type O Negative's "Bad Ground" on October Rust, which is a funny little prank, making you think your stereo's all fucked up. Then a track thanking you for buying the album, both of which make for a very weird intro to the album. I guess it lightens the mood.

The one that's been getting (Gedding?) me lately is "Distant Early Warning" by Rush, which has moments of static throughout that at first made me think I have a short somewhere.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Re: Music that made you think your sh*t was broke

Post by BDG135 »

Magnolia Simms by the Monkees made me think my tape was messed up. It simulated the sound of an old record and the vocals skipped on purpose.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Guns n' Roses - "Dead Horse" during the white noise part when the band kicks in.

I couldn't quite tell if it was supposed to be there or not. I was just a teenage kid who didn't realize he was diving into the most overproduced and self-indulgent rock albums of the '90s.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
kytepunches
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by kytepunches »

Kiss - Dynasty on vinyl. I got two copies for my birthday the week it was released. I open one and it skipped like crazy. So I figured I’d return it . Opened the second one and it skipped even worse. So I thought my needle was fucked . Put on a scratched up copy of Alice Cooper -Killer…played fine. I took both copies back and got two replacements , both skipped. It wasn’t until I got cassette player a couple years later that I got to hear a working copy of Dynasty. Leave it to Kiss to put out a sub standard album …then have it pressed poorly.
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Mister Freeze wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:54 am Guns n' Roses - "Dead Horse" during the white noise part when the band kicks in.

I couldn't quite tell if it was supposed to be there or not. I was just a teenage kid who didn't realize he was diving into the most overproduced and self-indulgent rock albums of the '90s.
The nutcracker? Axl getting his nuts cracked? Theater of the Mind.

Boy is there a lot of shit piled on those records.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:03 am The nutcracker? Axl getting his nuts cracked? Theater of the Mind.

Is that what it was supposed to be? UYI wasn't about subtlety, was it?

When I played it on my bedroom stereo, it sounded so disconnected from the song and cut through everything else. I thought my CD had a glitch.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

^^^ Just pulled "Dead Horse" up on YouTube. 42 million views on that one :shock:
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

Bad Ground and Skip It from the follow up are just classic.

This might not be entirely on point but I definitely wondered if I’d messed up a setting when the opening track to Death Magnetic kicked in the first time I heard it. There’s loudness wars and then there’s…whatever that was.

Korn’s Follow The Leader album, during the CD era at least, began with 12 or 13 tracks of silence. I’m guessing that confused some folks.

I feel like NIN has some moments like this but honestly I’m not enough of a fan to remember what album(s)/song(s) they were. Perhaps someone can help me out there.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
Zabooka
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Zabooka »

Black Sabbath - Born Again.
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

Kind of the reverse, but I had a Butthole Surfers tape go bad in the eighties, and I could not tell. Thought it was just more weird shit.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Post by SchenkerFan »

That garbage Don't Damn Me has been sharing on this board.
poisonheart
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by poisonheart »

Bought Jesus and Mary Chain’s “Psychocandy” on cassette at a flea market and was initially convinced the tape must have been corroded by mothballs or the like.
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

SchenkerFan wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:39 am That garbage Don't Damn Me has been sharing on this board.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Zabooka wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:32 am Black Sabbath - Born Again.
Sleek wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:26 am Kind of the reverse, but I had a Butthole Surfers tape go bad in the eighties, and I could not tell.
Both great answers.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

I first heard Queen's New of the World on vinyl and just thought my turntable was fucking up "Sheer Heart Attack." Finally heard the song on CD a while later. Nope. They did that bullshit on purpose.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
HoldenSSV
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by HoldenSSV »

The first time I dropped the needle on "We Will Rock You"
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Nobody's old enough to say the Beatles' "Revolution"? That one apparently had people thinking their shit was busted.

What was the one before that? I want to say "Taxman"?
DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

kytepunches wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:01 am Kiss - Dynasty on vinyl. I got two copies for my birthday the week it was released. I open one and it skipped like crazy. So I figured I’d return it . Opened the second one and it skipped even worse. So I thought my needle was fucked . Put on a scratched up copy of Alice Cooper -Killer…played fine. I took both copies back and got two replacements , both skipped. It wasn’t until I got cassette player a couple years later that I got to hear a working copy of Dynasty. Leave it to Kiss to put out a sub standard album …then have it pressed poorly.
Same! Returned 2 copies. The third didn’t skip. It was still slightly warped.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:18 pm
kytepunches wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:01 am Kiss - Dynasty on vinyl. I got two copies for my birthday the week it was released. I open one and it skipped like crazy. So I figured I’d return it . Opened the second one and it skipped even worse. So I thought my needle was fucked . Put on a scratched up copy of Alice Cooper -Killer…played fine. I took both copies back and got two replacements , both skipped. It wasn’t until I got cassette player a couple years later that I got to hear a working copy of Dynasty. Leave it to Kiss to put out a sub standard album …then have it pressed poorly.

Well, it was "the return of Kiss."
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

The chainsaw sound at the beginning of Venom's "Black Metal". Cronos said they intentionally did that to make you think your stereo was messed up.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

“CDFF”
Mr Big
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:18 pm
Need I ask why the both of you needed 2 copies of the same album, when you were kids, and spending money was finite, and you could have had a whole second album by another band as well?
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?