Concerts You Regret Missing

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

ParaDime77
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: Concerts You Regret Missing

Post by ParaDime77 »

Pantera on the FBD Tour that came through ND in l want to say 1994. I was working at a restaurant that was less than a eighth mile from the venue. My thought process was, “Pantera is such a huge band, they’ll be back playing here soon.” Holy crap was l wrong.

Also missed AC/DC “Stiff Upper Lip” Tour in 2001 as well. WTF.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
MrRocker
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by MrRocker »

Ozzy w/ Randy
Queensryche - Empire Tour
Bon Jovi - New Jersey Tour
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

BDG135 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:17 am
I wish I could have seen them anytime during the 90s. I've heard Phil had some horrible performances in the late 90s though. It still would have been entertaining.
I had seriously thought about going to see them down in Orlando with Anthrax opening in 97. Didn't end up going, and then of course never got around to seeing them before it was over.

Turns out, I would have been pissed about the Anthrax set, it's the worst setlist I've ever seen them do, but still would have liked to have seen Pantera, especially on that tour, since Trendkill is my favorite album of theirs.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
War_in_D
Taking Music Lessons

Post by War_in_D »

Poison on the Open Up tour. Tesla opened. Didn't really miss it, per se, Poison cancelled. :roll:
Ozzy Stradlin
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

I missed New Model Army in Brooklyn about 12 or 13 years ago, because I was galavanting around the city with a chick that I no longer could stand, a couple of months later. In my defense, it was a long haul from where I lived, and in unfamiliar territory at the time…but I still wish I’d gone.

I also missed a Sykes-fronted Thin Lizzy maybe 15 years ago, because I didn’t want to spend the money. I’m sure I would have loved the show.
Last edited by Ozzy Stradlin on Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrankerBait
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by CrankerBait »

Wrote a history paper instead of seeing Nirvana in late-93. Assumed I'd catch them next summer. Assumed wrong.

Turned down the chance to see the Grateful Dead in Chicago for their last concert with Jerry Garcia. Didn't have the cash and didn't want to take an extra couple of days off work. The show wasn't so great apparently, but it would have been an interesting experience I'm sure.

I've missed Paul McCartney shows two or three times because of travel plans I couldn't change. Always by one or two days. Shitty luck.

I saw AC/DC on the Razor's Edge Tour, but couldn't go to the Black Ice show because I couldn't find a babysitter.
Borges
Opening Act in Local Bars

Post by Borges »

I missed a lot in the 90s in Chile because I didnt like going by myself

Kiss, Sabbath, Slayer Monsters of Rock Tour 1994- didnt see Kiss until the late 2000s, but I would've liked to see them in the Revenge era. Also liked Tony Martin Sabbath. Regarding Slayer, I never saw them with the original lineup, only with Bostaph in the late 90s, with Holt in the early 2010s, and with Holt/Bostaph later. I had ticket to see them with the classic lineup at least a couple of times (2006, 2010) but could not go for different reasons

Megadeth with Menza and Friedman: I missed them several times throughout the 90s because none of my friends liked them and I was an idiot by not going alone. I only saw them several times after 2004

AC/DC Ballbreaker tour- Saw them in the Black Ice tour, but seeing them in their forties in 1996 would've been much better than seeing them in their fifties in 2008.

Death, Cannibal Corpse, Incantation 1998- I wasn't that much into death metal at the time, so this much more in hindsight than anything else, but I blew my only chance of seeing Chuck Schuldiner. I was super into Death just some months later.
thebends

Post by thebends »

The black crowes with jimmy page tour

Elton John & Billy Joel stadium tour

David Lee Roth - skyscraper tour

Had tixs for all 3.
Traxan
Headlining Clubs

Post by Traxan »

Rush's farewell tour. I really didn't Peart was serious this time.

Nightwish in 2012 when they flew in Floor Jansen as an emergency replacement. They played HOB Anaheim and I didn't go.
LitaStrauss
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by LitaStrauss »

Rush's last show at the Forum in LA. I figured they'd be back..... :(
steviedoes
Recording Debut Album

Post by steviedoes »

My brother and I were talking about this today. His was Poison in 88. Mine is Van Hagar with Vince Neil in 93.
New Fuzzruckus single "I Never Liked You The Way You Thought I Did" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkS904a ... t1cw%3D%3D
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

There was a few when I was in the army in 92-93 (Pavement, Alice In Chains, STP, Warren Zevon, Pearl Jam), most of them were in clubs too! Other one I regret pretty quickly was when Soundgarden & Blind Melon etc. played in an arena here in 1995. I thought I'd catch them later, but Shannon Hoon was dead in a couple of months.
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

Bruce Dickinson "Accident Of Birth" - He played 30 minutes from my house. I had had enough of Iron Maiden following the shitty "No Prayer For The Dying" lp and tour. Wasn't following Maiden anymore and wasn't following Bruce's solo stuff. Read an article concerning "AOB" that stated Adrian Smith was onboard for the cd and tour. Purchased the cd and loved it. Regret not seeing that show.

Regret not seeing Eddie Money and The Smithereens.

Then there's the whole list of concerts that I wish that I'd seen, but couldn't because I was too young. Queen is at the top of that list.
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

Shinerrox wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:31 am I had a ticket for a Soundgarden/PJ show in early 92 playing an old grocery store. I missed it for work.. I still kick myself for missing that one.
Also, I had a chance to see KISS on their Revenge Club tour also in 92. I'm not much of a KISStard but I really liked that era of KISS..
Sorry you missed that one.

I saw the "Revenge" club tour in Boston. KISS in a club. Totally insane. One of the best things KISS ever did.
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

Black Stuff wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:01 am Queen at MSG with Thin Lizzy Opening.
Total bummer.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

El Vampiro Blanco wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:14 am
BDG135 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:06 am I wish I had seen prime Pantera.
I'm not sure what is considered prime Pantera, but I saw them opening for Priest on the Cowboys from Hell tour and Annihilator went over way better with the fans....
It was because Pantera sucked. I saw that tour too and thought Pantera would never go anywhere and were lucky to be openers on a 3 band arena bill.

Concerts I regret missing... there's a few.

Metallica shows were cursed for me for some time. The first time I wanted to see them Cliff Burton died, next time their equipment got stuck in Denmark, when the show finally happened I was on a delayed flight home from the Canary Islands and even if I ditched the baggage and made a run for a taxi with a suicidal driver I maybe would have made it to the encores. The next time they came the show was sold out and I couldn't get a ticket, and when I had a ticket to Monsters of Rock in Chorzów with AC/DC, Metallica and Queensryche there was a football related riot and the police blocked the roads into town. Finally saw them on the Black album tour and it's still one of the best shows I have seen.

Celtic Frost on the Monotheist tour. Sold out show and I thought I would be able to see them on the next tour. There was no next tour or album.

Van Halen at MSG in 2008. Had tickets and flew to New York with friends. There were some rumousr of cancellation before, but nothing official until we went to MSG to pick up our tickets and the staff told us the show was cancelled as Ed was in rehab. They did come back but then I couldn't go. I also missed VH in 1984 because I was too young to go, a stadium show with AC/DC and Mötley

Bryan Adams in Delhi 2004. Nehru Stadium was walking distance from where I lived but the 60k capacity venue sold out in minutes.https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 482868.cms

Bruce Springsteen in Gothenburg 1985. The infamous "stadium breaker" show. I may already have had the BITUSA album but didn't become a huge fan until after hearing bootlegs from that tour and the Live 75-85 boxset .

Guns with Skid Row opening on the pre-Illusions summer tour 1991. Quickly sold out and I thought Guns sucked at Donington in 1988 so I wasn't that interested but everyone seems to think they were great. Didn't get to see Guns again until 2007.
GoodJudge

Post by GoodJudge »

Love_Industry wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:11 am Celtic Frost on the Monotheist tour. Sold out show and I thought I would be able to see them on the next tour. There was no next tour or album.
That was the only time I ever saw Frost. It was a co-headline with Kreator, who were on last. For some reason we were v late arriving (probably in the pub avoiding a crappy opening band) and they were already on the 2nd or 3rd song, which was Circle Of The Tyrants. Which pissed me off.
jhenders
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by jhenders »

Had the chance to see Dirty Looks many times in the 90s, but didn't become a major fan until after Henrik died.
Gibsonite
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Gibsonite »

David Bowie on the Sound + Vision tour. Wasn't much of a fan at that time but I really wish I'd gone now. Great setlist heavy on the old stuff.
jens

Post by jens »

GoodJudge wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:15 am
Love_Industry wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:11 am Celtic Frost on the Monotheist tour. Sold out show and I thought I would be able to see them on the next tour. There was no next tour or album.
That was the only time I ever saw Frost. It was a co-headline with Kreator, who were on last. For some reason we were v late arriving (probably in the pub avoiding a crappy opening band) and they were already on the 2nd or 3rd song, which was Circle Of The Tyrants. Which pissed me off.
The songs lasted 3X as long because they played so slow though. I hated it at the time but would've liked a second chance. Still not the greatest fan of Monotheist but it's grown on me.
Traxan
Headlining Clubs

Post by Traxan »

LitaStrauss wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:22 pm Rush's last show at the Forum in LA. I figured they'd be back..... :(
Same. And when I read Neil came out from the kit and joined his bandmates in taking a bow rather than run off like he always did, it was an "oh shit" moment of realization I'd made a big mistake.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Love_Industry wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:11 am I also missed VH in 1984 because I was too young to go
I'm with you on this one. I did get to see the reunion in 07 before Ed fell off the wagon and it was awesome, but missing the 84 tour def left a hole in my soul given that it was the last chance to see the original VH.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
BulletProofPoet

Post by BulletProofPoet »

I wish I could go back in time and see Jellyfish.
Stinky McFister
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by Stinky McFister »

I've seen pretty much everything I've wanted to see. However, I could've gone to Nirvana at the Cow Palace (SF) on New Years Eve for In Utero and figured I'd have more chances to see them. I don't think they made it back to the bay area after that.
Someone mentioned it here but I had gotten 6th row seats for the 2nd leg of VH ADKOT tour which got shuttered. I never knew why until today that Eddie met up with rehab :roll:

One of the greatest shows I've ever seen from a lineup perspective and I'm glad I didn't miss:
I flew into Phoenix on New Years Eve '99.
Bank One Ballpark

Soulfly
Slayer
Pantera
Megadeth
Reunited Black Sabbath (Ozzy)
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:41 pm
Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:43 am
keyofgee wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:27 am i blew off Ozzy's first tour with randy rhoads... blizzard hadn't hit huge yet and I passed...;-(. I was three weeks away from seeing him when he died on the diary tour.

That sucks

My list is way too long

The Rolling Stones on Steel Wheels
That's about as close as I got... but I wasn't that big into the Stones at the time. I saw the IMAX movie and the VL and 40 Licks tours. I have very few if any concert regrets. If I wanted to see somebody, I went. Also saw SRV 3x, including with Jeff Beck and one month before he died. Nyah, nyah, nyah.

Edit - ok, got another one. I should've gone to see Jimmy Pages solo tour in 88. I didn't think it would be that good. I saw the YouTubes later. Man, was I wrong.

SRV three times? You SUCK! :lol: I’m very envious

Many of those shows I mentioned I was way too young to see. I was too young to see SRV on most of his tours. But I still regret it. I heard some tours he was piss drunk on though. In Step and that Jeff Beck would’ve been the one to see :P
A good number of them I was old enough and should’ve went. I can’t cry too much. I’ve seen many, many great concerts over the last 3.5 decades

Oh that sucks! You should’ve went to that one!!! The one I really wanted to see was Coverdale/Page but I wasn’t one to miss my college classes for a trip to Japan. Looking back and knowing that they wouldn’t play here, I should’ve. I will never forgive Roberta for that.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

I was lucky. I was too young to see him when he was drinking, but once he got clean I saw him 3 straight years - opening for Robert Plant, co-headlining with JB, and by himself.

Yeah, I loved that C/P record too, and those Japan boots are awesome. It's too bad they didn't play the States.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
SikSyko
Opening Act in Local Bars

Post by SikSyko »

Iggy Pop/Alice in Chains Nov 13, 1990
Minsitry/KMFDM Jan. 8, 1990
Ozzy/Ratt April 30, 1984
Judas Priest/Great White (I think) March 31, 1984
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

risingfarce wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:33 am
Shinerrox wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:31 am I had a ticket for a Soundgarden/PJ show in early 92 playing an old grocery store. I missed it for work.. I still kick myself for missing that one.
Also, I had a chance to see KISS on their Revenge Club tour also in 92. I'm not much of a KISStard but I really liked that era of KISS..
Sorry you missed that one.

I saw the "Revenge" club tour in Boston. KISS in a club. Totally insane. One of the best things KISS ever did.

Set list and set length criticisms aside, I don’t think KISS had bad tours in the 80s. I would loved to have seen Unmasked, Creatures, LIU, Animalize and Asylum. Revenge club tour would have been wicked too. Unmasked, HITS and Revenge had the best set lists and running time.

Had Paul put more of an effort into the set lists by including change ups to the classic 70s material instead of relying on the same old, giving some nods to S4/A2, P&G’s 78 Solo albums, The Elder and Killers albums, Eric Carr singing Beth though I know he hated the idea he did a solid job on it, along with averaging between 5-7 new songs off current 80s albums they were promoting, that would have been hard for fans of any era to consistently stay home and not check out atleast once.

The fanbase would have been abuzz had they consistently pulled out songs in the 80s that they hardly or never played before.
It more than likely would have pushed catalog sales too.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:27 pm I was lucky. I was too young to see him when he was drinking, but once he got clean I saw him 3 straight years - opening for Robert Plant, co-headlining with JB, and by himself.

Yeah, I loved that C/P record too, and those Japan boots are awesome. It's too bad they didn't play the States.
You were very lucky. I’m not worthy! Very cool!!!

Those C/P Japan boots are so badass. The only thing that wouldve made it better is if they had Jones record the album and do the tour.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:21 pm
Had Paul put more of an effort into the set lists by including change ups to the classic 70s material instead of relying on the same old, giving some nods to S4/A2, P&G’s 78 Solo albums, The Elder and Killers albums, Eric Carr singing Beth though I know he hated the idea he did a solid job on it, along with averaging between 5-7 new songs off current 80s albums they were promoting, that would have been hard for fans of any era to consistently stay home and not check out atleast once.

The fanbase would have been abuzz had they consistently pulled out songs in the 80s that they hardly or never played before.
It more than likely would have pushed catalog sales too.
At that time they more or less ran away from their 70s era. They played a few mandatory classics but focused on the new album and COTN which had 3-4 songs in the set for all 80s tours. Maybe they found the makeup / kiddie merch embarrassing, or they wanted to appear more current - Scorps, Heart and Priest also downplayed their 70s material in their 80s setlist.

Only the success of Smashes Thrashes & Hits which outsold anything they did after Dynasty made them realize that also new fans were aware of and liked the 70s songs and there was a demand for their classic era. Around the same time they started including more 70s material in the setlist, even IWMFLY was brought back and for the next album they put makeup and costumes on for one video.