Ace - I can play rings around Paul Stanley on guitar. I can even sing better than him and don’t have to use backing trac

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

maninblack
MSX Tour Support Act

Ace - I can play rings around Paul Stanley on guitar. I can even sing better than him and don’t have to use backing trac

Post by maninblack »

Ace Frehley said that " I can play rings around Paul Stanley on guitar. I can even sing better than him and don’t have to use backing tracks " in a recent interview here

https://chaoszine.net/i-can-play-rings- ... e-frehley/
Turner Coates
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: Ace - I can play rings around Paul Stanley on guitar. I can even sing better than him and don’t have to use backing

Post by Turner Coates »

Uh oh.
Them's fightin' words. Paul might send his avatar to kick Ace's ass.

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
maninblack
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: Ace - I can play rings around Paul Stanley on guitar. I can even sing better than him and don’t have to use backing

Post by maninblack »

True. Pauls going to be double angry when Aces new record makes him look like a imbecile.
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

maninblack wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:45 am True. Pauls going to be double angry when Aces new record makes him look like a imbecile.
I think the last KISS album went Double-Angry.
Ace's new one will probably go Tripple.

maninblack
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by maninblack »

:lol:
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

Not that Ace is to be taken seriously and not that Paul is any prize, but Paul is a better guitar player.

Even something like the live version of Detroit Rock City. When Paul comes in with the harmony in the solo section, it’s just obvious that he plays with way more natural feel.

Also random question for the true Kiss geeks - I know they often used studio musicians for Peter and Ace, did they for solos also? Was wondering about I Stole Your Love and Christine Sixteen specifically. Just curious.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
maninblack
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by maninblack »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:57 am Not that Ace is to be taken seriously and not that Paul is any prize, but Paul is a better guitar player.

Even something like the live version of Detroit Rock City. When Paul comes in with the harmony in the solo section, it’s just obvious that he plays with way more natural feel.

Also random question for the true Kiss geeks - I know they often used studio musicians for Peter and Ace, did they for solos also? Was wondering about I Stole Your Love and Christine Sixteen specifically. Just curious.
The I stole your love riff should be called I stole your riff. It is ripped off the Burn riff by Ritchie Blackmore when he was in deep purple.
eddie lee roth
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by eddie lee roth »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:57 am Not that Ace is to be taken seriously and not that Paul is any prize, but Paul is a better guitar player.

That’s all them on those two songs. On YouTube you can find a Gene demo song for Christine Sixteen with the VH bros backing him up. Pretty cool listen and they didn’t change the song for the most part.
JamesHetfieldsAcneScars
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by JamesHetfieldsAcneScars »

Ace has a point on the backing track part but when it comes to guitar playing they both suck equal amounts of ass
maninblack
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by maninblack »

These comments from Ace shocked me.
kytepunches
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by kytepunches »

Who’s better at playing Kiss songs on guitar? That’s got to be up there with claims of being the best at finger painting in kindergarten.
eddie lee roth
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by eddie lee roth »

kytepunches wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:14 am Who’s better at playing Kiss songs on guitar? That’s got to be up there with claims of being the best at finger painting in kindergarten.
Kindergarten just so happens to be the last time he lived a sober life.
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

eddie lee roth wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:18 am Kindergarten just so happens to be the last time he lived a sober life.
Yeah. Then he found that bottle in the janitor's closet and it was all downhill after that.
Perhaps now is the time for Ace to shine and make up for lost decades.
I propose he be nominated KING of the Rock Hal Of Fame. He's an inspiration to millions.

maninblack
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by maninblack »

I am reminded of a Paul Stanley interview where he told of being in the shower in a hotel, when there was suddenly an awful smell. He said it was an absolutely horrible smell. When he looked out of the shower, Ace was sat on the toilet that was right next to his shower cubicle. Ace was taking a shit and paul was getting the full aroma.
Black Stuff
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Black Stuff »

onion rings?
The power of Sludge compels you.
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by TooOldToCare »

maninblack wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:45 am True. Pauls going to be double angry when Aces new record makes him look like a imbecile.
Instead of 10,000 Volts, he should have named it 163 IQ.
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

Black Stuff wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:38 am onion rings?
Correct.
Ace can play onion rings around Paul.

risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

"I Stole Your Love" - Paul plays the first half of the guitar solo, then Ace plays the rest.

"Christine Sixteen" - Eddie and Alex Van Halen played on Gene's demo. Ace heard the demo and recorded his version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWPOJWe ... rt_radio=1
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

They didn't "often" use studio musicians for Peter and Ace. There was Sweet Pain on Destroyer, and the three studio songs on Alive II that unnecessarily didn't use Ace. Peter played on everything until Dynasty, on which he only played the one song as he was on his way out of the band. That's it. Oh, if you want to count Beth, no Ace on that. If you want to talk about studio musicians, once the original band was done, it was a free-for-all in the studio. Gene doesn't play on a ton of 80's songs - maybe he had a bunch of poker games.

Ace could play rings around Paul Stanley, it's not even a question.
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

risingfarce wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:13 am

"I Stole Your Love" - Paul plays the first half of the guitar solo, then Ace plays the rest.

"Christine Sixteen" - Eddie and Alex Van Halen played on Gene's demo. Ace heard the demo and recorded his version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWPOJWe ... rt_radio=1
Yes, Ace plays the actual hard part of course.
skinni
Having Slaughter Open for You

Post by skinni »

Not knowing much about Ace, the interview was good, informative and entertaining.

I had no idea that Steve Brown was involved with his new release.

He discussed many musicians including Vinnie Vincent who he referenced as someone who is short with feminine traits.
LurkingAtWork
Recording Your Demo

Post by LurkingAtWork »

Ace hasn't been able to play guitar for 20 years, at least. If you're feeling suicidal, watch any live show of his since the late 90s and drink every time he fucks up.

He's a hack and so is Peter Criss. Not that Paul Stanley isn't a humorless douche but he's absolutely 1000x the guitar player that Frehley is.
kytepunches
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by kytepunches »

Ace should put out the instructional video everyone has been dying for. He could finally reveal the secrets of guitar only he has mastered.
Ziggy Sawdust
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

Anyone can play rings around Paul.
Hell'sHungryChild wrote:
I have no desire to pay $150 to see an ant sized Ac/Dc and drink $12 beer cups.
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

kytepunches wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:58 pm Ace should put out the instructional video everyone has been dying for. He could finally reveal the secrets of guitar only he has mastered.
After it's filmed, Tommy Thayer will go into the studio and fix all of the guitar mistakes.
Zinny
Headlining Clubs

Post by Zinny »

Still Paul played double nights at MSG and Ace is travelling in a van playing clubs…
However, it would be fun if he put that text on a sticker on the album!