Would Bon Jovi have got that far away from other 80s hair metal bands without It's my life?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Ale
Picking a Band Name

Would Bon Jovi have got that far away from other 80s hair metal bands without It's my life?

Post by Ale »

I was watching a live 1997 Jon Bon Jovi solo show and got to think that he was trying to fit with the times but all the same Warrant, Poison, Winger, etc etc also did that,
and by the end of the century, if Bon Jovi the band didn't have the new "crossover" hit with ITS MY LIFE, would they have continued being a "medium size" band and not that kind of rock n roll stadium royalty.

By the way, the only GREAT Bon Jovi record is These Days. Masterpiece to my ears.
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Re: Would Bon Jovi have got that far away from other 80s hair metal bands without It's my life?

Post by BDG135 »

It's My Life helped them gain some younger fans. Without that, they likely wouldn't have been able to draw as well in the 00s.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: Would Bon Jovi have got that far away from other 80s hair metal bands without It's my life?

Post by daveg »

Would be exactly the same outcome. Have a nice day was basically the same song...and Who says you can't go home was a legit crossover hit.
I hear that on the radio alot..if not more than the slippery tunes
Zinny
Headlining Clubs

Post by Zinny »

Jon cut his hair in connection with ”Keep The Faith”. That became a huge success and had a different sound than their previous albums and typical hair bands. So in 1992 they/he still played in a different league. They weren’t as active as before after that and lost a lot of momentum but of course ”It’s My Life” put them back in the spotlight.
skinni
Having Slaughter Open for You

Post by skinni »

Ale wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:49 pm By the way, the only GREAT Bon Jovi record is These Days. Masterpiece to my ears.
Fully agree, These Days is one of his best.
gtrjay
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by gtrjay »

Not sure if Destination Anywhere (1997 solo album) is really being the same league as warrant and poison.

You have ground beef, steak 🥩 and filet with lobster. :lol:

Jovi is the filet / lobster in this case. Lol.
I’m completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. These two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin - Modern Philosopher
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

“It’s My life” still had the MTV push during that time. “Have A Nice Day” as well.

While the crossover with “You Can’t Come Home” was big as well as the CMT Crossroads Bon Jovi did with Jennifer Needles. It was at this time l felt the bands sound changed drastically. The big guitars were muted, drums sounded softer and they adding that lame ass fiddle player. Sure,money still played the hits fro. 2000-2010, but damn did their sound suffer huge.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
Slippery Pete
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by Slippery Pete »

I think they had already separated themselves from Poison and Warrant, etc... with Keep the Faith. Then they had a massive hit with "Always" when most of the hair band crew couldn't get on the radio.

But then the comeback album "Crush" made them a stadium band which I doubt anyone saw coming.
"The worst tempered people I have ever met were those who knew that they were wrong." -- David Letterman
Busch1724
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by Busch1724 »

Without It's My Life, they may have continued down the popularity of Def Leppard or Motley Crue. They'd all be doing package tours together at some point.
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

Despite hitting it big during the the "80's hair metal scene", Jon/Bon Jovi was always a pop artist/band that adapted to whatever was current. The are not "cut from the same cloth" as Motley, Def Leppard, etc., which allowed BJ to continue to have massive crossover appeal. As some of the other posters pointed out, the Keep the Faith/Always was the time period that established that they would continue to have a high level of success and maintain their fan base outside the 80's hair scene. The later hits (It's My Life, Can't Come Home, Have A Nice Day) have kept them relevant, but I don't see any of them being "career saving" or having any real impact on ticket sales.
jens
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by jens »

Busch1724 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:13 am Without It's My Life, they may have continued down the popularity of Def Leppard or Motley Crue. They'd all be doing package tours together at some point.
Nah, it obviously helped but before they were already MUCH bigger.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Don't forget, Jon was acting in movies right around this time and lining himself up in that "professional celebrity" category.

Bon Jovi was kind of like Green Day. Just when the band appeared to be on the way out, they'd have another comeback hit.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

Slippery Pete wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:34 pm I think they had already separated themselves from Poison and Warrant, etc... with Keep the Faith. Then they had a massive hit with "Always" when most of the hair band crew couldn't get on the radio.

But then the comeback album "Crush" made them a stadium band which I doubt anyone saw coming.
Agreed. ALWAYS was a HUGE hit and the Cross Road/Greatest Hits record sold extremely well. In fact it did so well, the next album THESE DAYS was practically overlooked. The tour did well but the record had no hits, as good as it was.

They were smart and took a break then came back with a song co-written with Max Martin that co-wrote every other song on top 40 radio at the time.

A moment of sadness here when you realize "new Bon Jovi/It's my Life" is actually 24 years old. :(
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

These Days went Platinum and Crush went double Platinum. It's safe to say they gained fans and that helped increase ticket sales.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Jon walks in the footsteps of society's lies.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

BDG135 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:40 am These Days went Platinum and Crush went double Platinum. It's safe to say they gained fans and that helped increase ticket sales.
The real mystery is how Keep the Faith is not seen as a major bomb when it sold way less than Adrenalize.

They had hits but it didn't translate to album sales. How did the tour go?
inextrem
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by inextrem »

Love_Industry wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:18 am
BDG135 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:40 am These Days went Platinum and Crush went double Platinum. It's safe to say they gained fans and that helped increase ticket sales.
The real mystery is how Keep the Faith is not seen as a major bomb when it sold way less than Adrenalize.

Adrenalize was 3 x Platinum in the U.S. Did ok in Europe.
KTF was 2 x Platinum in the U.S. Did very good in Europe.
War_in_D
Taking Music Lessons

Post by War_in_D »

Love_Industry wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:18 am

I think the tour did well. It was long. I think before the jury came back on Faith, they put out Always which saved their asses.

I saw the Faith tour in Winnipeg. About 8,000 there. A year and a half later, there were 12,000 at the These Days show, on the strength of Always.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

inextrem wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:12 am
Love_Industry wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:18 am The real mystery is how Keep the Faith is not seen as a major bomb when it sold way less than Adrenalize.

Def Leppard was also coming off a bigger album in Hysteria, while Bon Jovi was following up a huge, but not quite-as-huge album in New Jersey. (Then again, you can argue they were actually following up Blaze of Glory, which I think was triple-platinum.)

Either way, Adrenalize and Keep the Faith did well enough, considering the singles from both albums are B-level at best.

Also working against them: Def Leppard diving deeper into the cheese while the industry was going in the opposite direction and Jon's shock-to-the-system Jennifer Aniston haircut.

dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:57 am
inextrem wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:12 am
Love_Industry wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:18 am The real mystery is how Keep the Faith is not seen as a major bomb when it sold way less than Adrenalize.

Def Leppard was also coming off a bigger album in Hysteria, while Bon Jovi was following up a huge, but not quite-as-huge album in New Jersey. (Then again, you can argue they were actually following up Blaze of Glory, which I think was triple-platinum.)

Either way, Adrenalize and Keep the Faith did well enough, considering the singles from both albums are B-level at best.

Also working against them: Def Leppard diving deeper into the cheese while the industry was going in the opposite direction and Jon's shock-to-the-system Jennifer Aniston haircut.

They both had their share of hits, but ultimately Adrenalize was to me the more successful of the two. And though I love 'em both, I've always kind of preferred DL slightly to the Jove. But yeah, It's My Life could easily be seen as a comeback/bandwagon-ing for Jon and Co., but it worked.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Ale wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:49 pm I was watching a live 1997 Jon Bon Jovi solo show and got to think that he was trying to fit with the times but all the same Warrant, Poison, Winger, etc etc also did that,
and by the end of the century, if Bon Jovi the band didn't have the new "crossover" hit with ITS MY LIFE, would they have continued being a "medium size" band and not that kind of rock n roll stadium royalty.

By the way, the only GREAT Bon Jovi record is These Days. Masterpiece to my ears.

First off, bands like Warrant, Winger and even Poison were never in Bon Jovi’s or Def Leppard’s league, EVER.

Second, you can’t really compare a solo album or side project to a band album.

Third, It’s My Life wasn’t a crossover hit. If anything, because of the drastic direction change on These Days, I felt it was the band realigning and finding their roots. Their big crossover hit was Who Says You Can’t Go Home

Fourth, Considering the hostile climate in the 90s Bon Jovi did really well and didn’t really need to rely on the US market since they spent years touring the globe by design upon Doc’s suggestion. That album was huge internationally and they were selling out arenas and stadiums everywhere else.

Last, Faith did really well in 1992 and 93. It went double platinum. I think ticket sales were soft in some cities. I might give DL the edge. They were more high profile that year and had done the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert but two of their three singles were absolute trash. Adrenalize had promise but is a mixed bag for me.

Jovi had a huge hit with Always in 1994 off Crossroads and a minor hit or fan favorite with Saturday Night. They didn’t tour for that album.

These Days was released the same year Slang was. Both albums only went gold. I can see Lep fans side where they might feel Lep faired better domestically. Jovi didn’t put much effort in to promoting and touring domestically. I can’t say I blame them. They did something like two months here and then put both middle fingers up In the air and headed overseas. They were once again packing arenas and stadiums from Canada to Europe to South America to Japan and the Far East.

Crush was a rediscovery for a lot of fans my age here in the states. I never left but many fans did leave and then came back around on Crush. It was suddenly ok to like them again.

By this time Def Leppard were in some disarray, It seemed like Joe was smoking and drinking a lot. He had gained a lot of weight, sounded like shit and they were a shell of their former selves compared to what I had witnessed on previous tours after Viv had joined. I saw the Euphoria tour and while I’m a big fan of the record, the show that year was not fun. They found themselves again on Sparkle Lounge. That was a great show and they started touring with other name artists like Styx.

Both bands are A List bands and knew how to be that big, arena rock band but also knew how to craft amazing power pop. They are two of my favorites from the decade. Their discographies speak for themselves. I put them head and shoulders above bands like Motley Crue, Ratt, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, WASP and Dokken.

I will say I’m softening on Ratt’s catalog lately. I’ve seen them live several times over the decades and they were never the live band that DL and the Jove were
hendrixstrat
Headlining Clubs

Post by hendrixstrat »

They did fine in the early 90s.
People forget that there was other music being played regularly on MTV during those years.
Along with Nirvana etc..,there was a steady stream of Rap,Hip Hop, Pop, and bands like Genesis, and the Fucking Eagles/Fleetwood Mac being played.
Bon Jovi had 3 videos in constant rotation, alongside Metallica, Megadeth, GnR, Pumpkins, PJ, Janet/Michael Jackson, salt n Pepa, Digable Planets, etc..
Def Leppard had 5 singles off of Adrenalize in constant rotation, and the last 3 all sound the same, with basically the same video.
I think “It’s my life “ helped,,but their 80s touring, and promotion machine kept them in Stadiums.
inextrem
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by inextrem »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:03 am
Ale wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:49 pm I was watching a live 1997 Jon Bon Jovi solo show and got to think that he was trying to fit with the times but all the same Warrant, Poison, Winger, etc etc also did that,

First off, bands like Warrant, Winger and even Poison were never in Bon Jovi’s or Def Leppard’s league, EVER.

Third, It’s My Life wasn’t a crossover hit. If anything, because of the drastic direction change on These Days, I felt it was the band realigning and finding their roots. Their big crossover hit was Who Says You Can’t Go Home

Fourth, Considering the hostile climate in the 90s Bon Jovi did really well and didn’t really need to rely on the US market since they spent years touring the globe by design upon Doc’s suggestion. That album was huge internationally and they were selling out arenas and stadiums everywhere else.

Last, Faith did really well in 1992 and 93. It went double platinum. I think ticket sales were soft in some cities. I might give DL the edge. They were more high profile that year and had done the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert but two of their three singles were absolute trash. Adrenalize had promise but is a mixed bag for me.

Jovi had a huge hit with Always in 1994 off Crossroads and a minor hit or fan favorite with Saturday Night. They didn’t tour for that album.

These Days was released the same year Slang was. Both albums only went gold. I can see Lep fans side where they might feel Lep faired better domestically. Jovi didn’t put much effort in to promoting and touring domestically. I can’t say I blame them. They did something like two months here and then put both middle fingers up In the air and headed overseas. They were once again packing arenas and stadiums from Canada to Europe to South America to Japan and the Far East.

Crush was a rediscovery for a lot of fans my age here in the states. I never left but many fans did leave and then came back around on Crush. It was suddenly ok to like them again.

By this time Def Leppard were in some disarray, It seemed like Joe was smoking and drinking a lot. He had gained a lot of weight, sounded like shit and they were a shell of their former selves compared to what I had witnessed on previous tours after Viv had joined. I saw the Euphoria tour and while I’m a big fan of the record, the show that year was not fun. They found themselves again on Sparkle Lounge. That was a great show and they started touring with other name artists like Styx.

Both bands are A List bands and knew how to be that big, arena rock band but also knew how to craft amazing power pop. They are two of my favorites from the decade. Their discographies speak for themselves. I put them head and shoulders above bands like Motley Crue, Ratt, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, WASP and Dokken.

I will say I’m softening on Ratt’s catalog lately. I’ve seen them live several times over the decades and they were never the live band that DL and the Jove were
"These Days" was Platinum
Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

Post by Jason Jennifer Leigh »

Bon Jovi would’ve need successful no matter what.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

inextrem wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:22 pm
Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:03 am

"These Days" was Platinum

I stand corrected. I remember reading at the time it was Gold but not platinum. Either way, it sounds like it didn’t translate into domestic ticket sales. I don’t remember them getting much promotion or push compared to Always. They made three or four videos for that album
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:08 am I stand corrected. I remember reading at the time it was Gold but not platinum. Either way, it sounds like it didn’t translate into domestic ticket sales. I don’t remember them getting much promotion or push compared to Always. They made three or four videos for that album

MTV gave the first two videos some play. They kind of cheated with "Something for the Pain," by making fun of current acts. I remember watching that and realizing the days of great Bon Jovi videos were over. They played it on the MTV Awards too.

"This Ain't a Love Song" might've been more of a VH-1 hit, actually.

Neither of those songs are great. They're okay. I don't know why you all love These Days so much.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Mister Freeze wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:22 am
Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:08 am I stand corrected. I remember reading at the time it was Gold but not platinum. Either way, it sounds like it didn’t translate into domestic ticket sales. I don’t remember them getting much promotion or push compared to Always. They made three or four videos for that album

MTV gave the first two videos some play. They kind of cheated with "Something for the Pain," by making fun of current acts. I remember watching that and realizing the days of great Bon Jovi videos were over. They played it on the MTV Awards too.

"This Ain't a Love Song" might've been more of a VH-1 hit, actually.

Neither of those songs are great. They're okay. I don't know why you all love These Days so much.
I thought SFTP was funny as hell. I laughed my ass off and thoroughly enjoyed it. It got played once or maybe twice and just proved that MTV could dish the shit out but had trouble taking it when it got shoved back in their face even as harmlessly as Bon Jovi did it.

Love Song was VH1. They made a video for Lie To Me as well but only got promoted overseas because MTV and the US record industry sucks

What did you want from the band at the time? SWW IV?
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

These Days was BJ trying to age with their fans and move into Adult Contemporary territory. After Jon's acting career didn't take off, Bon Jovi needed to come back in a big way with something to crossover.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:39 am I thought SFTP was funny as hell. I laughed my ass off and thoroughly enjoyed it. It got played once or maybe twice and just proved that MTV could dish the shit out but had trouble taking it when it got shoved back in their face even as harmlessly as Bon Jovi did it.

It just got a groan from me and my friends. Seemed like a desperate way to get attention. MTV was on board with it, since it only validated their favorites at the time. They played it enough. More than it deserved.

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:39 am What did you want from the band at the time? SWW IV?

Don't blame me. The songs aren't that good.

Your question is up there with Paul Stanley saying fans got the wrong impression about the avatars.
SexxAtraxxion
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by SexxAtraxxion »

These Days was the last great era for Bon Jovi.

Jon at his absolute peak as a live performer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGLeR65sBxc
My music library at last.fm:
https://www.last.fm/user/JonathanHalen