Concerts you regret going to

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

GoodJudge
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: Concerts you regret going to

Post by GoodJudge »

Love_Industry wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:11 am In 1997, Clawfinger played a restaurant in a shopping mall close to where I lived. Never liked the band but the openers were Backyard Babies and Drain so I went to see them.

First shock. BYB had transformed from Guns/Skid Row lookalikes to 90s punk pop wannabes. They played a very short set focusing on the recent and awful Knockouts EP and a song or two off the not yet released Total 13. Not at all what I expected from a band I had seen before and I thought this was a Total Sellout. Not long after that (or maybe just before) they were on Headbangers' Ball and waffled on about how "Punk rock is happening right now and we wanna be on top of it".

Drain were just boring, their material didn't work live at all and felt like lacking energy. And Clawfinger were even worse than expected. I had enough and left after five songs.
I only knew BYB from Total 13 onwards and didn't know there was an earlier sound that they switched from. Will have to investigate. Saw them a couple of times around then as they were good friends with Ginger / The Wildhearts - good times.

I interviewed the singer from Clawfinger before a gig for my university newspaper. It was just a way to get in for free to see whoever they were supporting. Nice guy but yeah, the music was awful. And as for *that* song... :roll:
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

Alanis Morissette, the whole "I'm a quirky, impulsive, unpredictable, free spirit artist" felt absolutely as rehearsed as a KISS concert.

Black Crowes, mid 90's when they were going through their "jam band phase". Despite the fact that I can't think of a Black Crowes song that I don't like, they managed to play a lethargic, underwhelming, completely forgettable set/show.

Megadeth, as a live band .....boring as fuck, definitely a "dude/musicians" band. When I was in cover bands, every now and then, you would get the 40 year old virgin type, who would stand in front of the guitar player the entire set, then during a break want to talk about gear or critique his playing, "that guy" 9 out of 10 would be wearing a Megadeth t-shirt, (the 1 out of 10 would be wearing a Dream Theater t-shirt).
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

CrankerBait wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:32 am GnR, Metallica and Faith No More at Olympic Stadium in Montreal, for obvious reasons. A waste of time and money.
Well, you were at least part of rock history. Hope you weren't hurt.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
MisterSinister
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by MisterSinister »

Ale wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:25 pm i went to see Bob Dylan in a stadium in Argentina (cause everyone here plays in stadiums). I was excited to see a legend and hear that iconic songs.
WORST PERSON EVER TO PLAY IN A STADIUM.

In a bar, I might have enjoyed him.
Exactly how I felt seeing Willie Nelson!
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

Saw Van Halen in their 2007ish tour when DLR came back. Was a sophomore in college so drove back to go with my childhood friends. Prob cost about $75 for nosebleeds (I prob had $250 to my name). EVH was hammered - think he was throwing monitors or some shit. Just sucked. I remember was all walked out silent until someone was like "...so yeah that sucked." Wanted to like it, but def wasn't worth it.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Yeah you had to time that one right. I saw them 3rd gig in and they were amazing. By Thanksgiving/Xmas Eddie was throwing monitors and banging on his guitar with drumsticks during his solo.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:58 pm Yeah you had to time that one right. I saw them 3rd gig in and they were amazing. By Thanksgiving/Xmas Eddie was throwing monitors and banging on his guitar with drumsticks during his solo.
Yep and a few months later my friend saw them and said they were incredible. Bummer.. refused to see them again, then DLR declined pretty hard, EVH dies, and here we are!
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Aerosmith87 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:31 pm
Bono Nettencourt wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:58 pm Yeah you had to time that one right. I saw them 3rd gig in and they were amazing. By Thanksgiving/Xmas Eddie was throwing monitors and banging on his guitar with drumsticks during his solo.
Yep and a few months later my friend saw them and said they were incredible. Bummer.. refused to see them again, then DLR declined pretty hard, EVH dies, and here we are!
Right, that 1st 07-08 reunion tour was the window. I regret passing on the 2012/2015 tours now cause Eddie died, but like you said after the 1st tour Roth was terrible.
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

A few bands seeing them a second time:

Bon Jovi
Whitesnake
NIN
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Also Van Halen around 2012 with friends who didn't know much about them. Man that was embarrassing.

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

pieceofme wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:30 pm A few bands seeing them a second time:

Whitesnake
SOTT tour?
EzyRider
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by EzyRider »

For sure the Eagles on the 'The Long GoodBye' tour a while back, about as exciting as watching carrots grow. Harmonies were great, world class even, but just way too boring for me. Joe Walsh stuff was good though.

Also Toto opening for Journey a few years back, it was just bland insipid milquetoast. To add insult to injury it was supposed to be Billy Idol playing. Ugh.
Last edited by EzyRider on Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's good to be bad
It's the best time you'll ever have
What the hell is this ultra sad
Pray for your cool and work on that ass!
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:34 pm
pieceofme wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:30 pm A few bands seeing them a second time:

Whitesnake
SOTT tour?
No. It was in 2008 when they were touring with Def Leppard and Thunder in the UK. "Here's one for ya" was said before every song. :x I saw Whitesnake a couple of years earlier with the Quireboys supporting and it was an incredible show. Real chalk and cheese between the two shows.

Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

pieceofme wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:33 pm Also Van Halen around 2012 with friends who didn't know much about them. Man that was embarrassing.
Granny mat!
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

pieceofme wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:19 pm
No. It was in 2008 when they were touring with Def Leppard and Thunder in the UK. "Here's one for ya" was said before every song. :x I saw Whitesnake a couple of years earlier with the Quireboys supporting and it was an incredible show.
Can't remember who supported, prob a Swedish band - Zan Clan? But Whitesnake were absolutely killer in 2004. Didn't see the 2008 tour but it wasn't the same band in 2013 either.
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

sirthx2 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:18 pm Went to Rick Springfield and Eddie Money at the Uni Amp (couples thing) and knew I would need help really enjoying the show.
What year was this? 1982, 1992, 2002, 2012?

I'm surprised to hear this. I saw them both a few times separately in the 2000's and thought they were awesome.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
veritas
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by veritas »

Not so much concerts as I regret going to as concerts I got bored at -- and yes, the first three are sacrilege to even say!

1. Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA - first leg (arena). He was just breaking HUGE, and these were incredibly difficult tickets to secure (my friend "knew" him and was able to get us two free, amazing location tickets!). I should have been more appreciative, but I was a metal head teenager, didn't know much of his stuff, and after hour 2, I was bored and ready to get on with it. Even then, his moves and banter with the "big Man" and the whole band, just felt rehearsed, canned and cheesy. Like a man trying a little bit too hard. I'm somewhat embarrassed to write this now, because I respect his recorded stuff a ton and this was a holy grail show that I was incredibly lucky to even see. That said, I also think even as a shithead teenager, I was perceptive, and there is an element to Bruce's live schtick that I still find embarrassing -- and unnecessary.

2. Prince - Purple Rain Tour. yeah, another holy grail tour that I was lucky to get to see. But, again, I was a metal head idiot and went mostly because of my girlfriend, and the whole time I was thinking exclusively of whether I would get to fuck her after the show (the answer was "no." That came later.). And the show seemed very jammy, with long songs, and I didn't know his catalog beyond purple rain, and the whole bathtub thing seemed gay. I dunno - I was bored withiin the hour, and forced us to leave during the fucking 15 minute intro jam to purple rain encore to beat the parking lot traffic (see above: i was very pussy focused at this moment.)

3. U2- Joshua Tree tour - stadium leg. okay, this one is less bad because I saw them in an arena just when the album broke and they CRUSHED IT. when they returned months later doing stadiums, you can feel Bono's ego had set in, and the show was sluggish, indulgent, you could tell they just were wiped out. Brutal comparison with the arena show months earlier, when you could tell that THEY could tell they were exploding, and they were super hungry and killed it live. This one was a boring show. left early again.

4. Quite Riot (condition critical) with Whitesnake opening (Slide it In). Went to see Whitesnake, and they were great. Quiet Riot was fn terrible, playing to a 1/3 arena. They had no business being in an arena.

5. Dio (Sacred Heart) with whitesnake & Dokken. Dio shat the bed with this album and tour, with the fn stupid, cheap ass looking dragon..... You could see vivian was over it. Whitesnake crushed again. I had seen Dio on Holy diver (awesome - NYE show) and he was still cooking with Last in Line tour. This was the last time I saw him until 1997.
sirthx2
Doing 10 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by sirthx2 »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:50 am
sirthx2 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:18 pm Went to Rick Springfield and Eddie Money at the Uni Amp (couples thing) and knew I would need help really enjoying the show.
What year was this? 1982, 1992, 2002, 2012?

I'm surprised to hear this. I saw them both a few times separately in the 2000's and thought they were awesome.
Don't recall the year but 2,000ish is a good guess? Eddie Money did that 80% 'mic to the crowd' thing that gets old. I honestly don't remember much at all from Rick that night because again.....head in toilet. My buddy still asks me how the acoustics are in stall # 3 at the Uni Amp. I've seen Rick twice since and he's great!!I Photographed a show in 2012 and got one of my fave concert shots. I'll dig it up............hang on...........

"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by HueyRamone »

veritas wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:54 amwith the fn stupid, cheap ass looking dragon.....
So funny how Dio prolly looked at the Powerslave stage, and said "Wait till the kids see what i've got in store for them!!", not realizing his dungeons and dragons narration playacting was lame as hell, while eddie towering over the whole band was cool as hell.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
SikSyko
Opening Act in Local Bars

Post by SikSyko »

Cinderella/Slaughter Ottawa April 17 1991. The sound was so bad, the bands did not look they wanted to be there, did not have the full show. A good chunk of the people walked out half way through Cinderella's set.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Wow. So you saw the debacle before the debacle.
veritas
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by veritas »

HueyRamone wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:59 pm
veritas wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:54 amwith the fn stupid, cheap ass looking dragon.....
So funny how Dio prolly looked at the Powerslave stage, and said "Wait till the kids see what i've got in store for them!!", not realizing his dungeons and dragons narration playacting was lame as hell, while eddie towering over the whole band was cool as hell.
yep. and the whole Murray on the cover of the albums was a sad attempt at an "Eddie thing." Embarrassing.
Vince Neil Eats
Lugging equipment around in parent's car

Post by Vince Neil Eats »

Santana in 2000. Most boring show I’ve ever been to.
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by HueyRamone »

Vince Neil Eats wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:10 pm Santana in 2000. Most boring show I’ve ever been to.
I saw Santana in the 90s, and, yes, it was indeed boring.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
alexleehooker
Buying Cool Stage Clothes

Post by alexleehooker »

Love_Industry wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:11 am In 1997, Clawfinger played a restaurant in a shopping mall close to where I lived. Never liked the band but the openers were Backyard Babies and Drain so I went to see them.

First shock. BYB had transformed from Guns/Skid Row lookalikes to 90s punk pop wannabes. They played a very short set focusing on the recent and awful Knockouts EP and a song or two off the not yet released Total 13. Not at all what I expected from a band I had seen before and I thought this was a Total Sellout. Not long after that (or maybe just before) they were on Headbangers' Ball and waffled on about how "Punk rock is happening right now and we wanna be on top of it".

Drain were just boring, their material didn't work live at all and felt like lacking energy. And Clawfinger were even worse than expected. I had enough and left after five songs.

I saw BYB around then they began doing regular gigs in London starting with a showcase at King’s Cross water rats they’d recently signed to I think East West.
I really liked knockouts and the stuff destined for total 13. BUT I’d got into them via the Electric Suzy EP which was the direction they’d gone ahead in. And loved Bombed out of my mind which was the first thing I heard of the ‘new’ material via a magazine cover mount cd. I thought it was the future of rock n roll, snotty attitude punk n roll mixed to go head to head with the hardcore based metal and punk popular then.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

HueyRamone wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:47 pm
Vince Neil Eats wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:10 pm Santana in 2000. Most boring show I’ve ever been to.
I saw Santana in the 90s, and, yes, it was indeed boring.
Dragged to it by an ex I assume.

TravisBicklesMohawk
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by TravisBicklesMohawk »

KISS on their first reunion tour.

Played the Superdome, which might explain why the sound was so crappy, but overall, they looked tired, old, and bored.

Criss singing Beth was the final straw for me. He clearly couldn't wait to get off the stage. :roll:

Such a disappointment from a band I loved since I was a child. But at least I got to say I saw KISS once in my lifetime.
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
GoodJudge
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by GoodJudge »

alexleehooker wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:39 pm I saw BYB around then they began doing regular gigs in London starting with a showcase at King’s Cross water rats they’d recently signed to I think East West.
IIRC I was at that Water Rats show. It was a regular place for showcase gigs. Just saying. I don't regret going.
alexleehooker
Buying Cool Stage Clothes

Post by alexleehooker »

GoodJudge wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:09 am
alexleehooker wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:39 pm I saw BYB around then they began doing regular gigs in London starting with a showcase at King’s Cross water rats they’d recently signed to I think East West.
IIRC I was at that Water Rats show. It was a regular place for showcase gigs. Just saying. I don't regret going.
yeah for the opening band Ginger from the wildhearts did a set with friends as 'the unrehearsed'. I don't regret that gig either it was awesome
JamesHetfieldsAcneScars
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by JamesHetfieldsAcneScars »

Van Hagar Balance tour.. it was very gloomy and depressing. Nobody wants to hear hagar do "eagles fly" at a Van Halen show. The whole show was a downer. Too many m grown up serious themed songs by that point. Back in the classic era days it was like a party.