Being Eddie Van Halen's son is a hindrance

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Mr.Happyface
Headlining Clubs

Being Eddie Van Halen's son is a hindrance

Post by Mr.Happyface »

Even in a "Business' sense...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfphD2MQ5MU
MurrayFiend wrote:DJ Ashba is the worst thing to happen to GN'R's live show since Axl's tiny shorts.
Charles Bukaki
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: Being Eddie Van Halen's son is a hindrance

Post by Charles Bukaki »

Well of course it is. He could be a better musician than his Dad and he'll still have to live in his shadow. It's obviously a double edged sword, but nothing is going to change who his Dad is. Stephen King's son Joe, uses the pen name Joe Hill and got away with it for 10 years before he he was outed. He's managed to have a pretty good career, but he has no illusions as to the fact that he's always going to be seen as Stephen King's son. He knows the score and is really gracious and wiling to talk about his Dad to anyone who asks, but he could write the greatest book of all time and he'd still be Pop's shadow. Another one is Shooter Jennings. The guy's really talented, has a pretty solid country rock discography and has become a really sought after producer. I saw him a few years ago at a free show in a park that didn't have a backstage area and there was an informal meet and greet. At least half the people I saw approach him only wanted to talk about his Dad. He was gracious enough, shook hands and took pictures but it was pretty easy to tell he was tired of all the Waylon fans. I had my niece with me who was about 10, she legit loved him and was wearing one of his shirts and he spent a few more minutes chatting with us and made sure she got the setlist and a pick after the show. The next person brought up Waylon again and you could see him kinda check out, he even brushed off the old Waylors shirt she tried to give him.

I don't remember what my point was, I didn't even watch the video
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

That’s fuckin bullshit he gets free donuts at the local Circle-K because they used to know his old man!
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

It's gotta suck waking up next to that beast from Utah every morning!
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

The Mammoth tour starts Feb. 21 in St. Louis.
https://www.bandsintown.com/e/104948950
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

Post by El Vampiro Blanco »

It sure is a hindrance not having to worry about making a living and getting record deals and tour slots solely because of who your dad is.
Fact is without his dad, he wouldn't have any sort of business. The world of is full of guys who can play a instrument well and play mediocre music....
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

a tremor in the glass on the dash…
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

CEO rant in 3….2….
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

El Vampiro Blanco wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:39 am It sure is a hindrance not having to worry about making a living and getting record deals and tour slots solely because of who your dad is.
Fact is without his dad, he wouldn't have any sort of business. The world of is full of guys who can play a instrument well and play mediocre music....
This. I’m sure Wolfie couldn’t care less about living in “Pops”’s shadow. Probably relishes that title with pride, in fact.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
LitaStrauss
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by LitaStrauss »

The thing is it's impossible for him to know. I'm not a Wolfgang hater, I like him, but he'll never know the struggle of somebody else who doesn't have any connections. He grew up in it, in LA. He didn't move across the country with the dream to always be a rock star with $15 in their pocket. With that being said, it doesn't mean he doesn't deserve success. If he's passionate about music, and he seems to be, then great! I'm rooting for him. But he definitely got a head start than most people. He was in Van Halen at 16! However, if he wasn't talented, he'd fade away. Julian Lennon had a famous dad too and Wolfgang's already outlasted his career. There's a long list of second generation musicians and actors who had all the opportunities but they sucked and it didn't happen for them.
Last edited by LitaStrauss on Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

LitaStrauss wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:54 pm Julian Lennon had a famous dad too and Wolfgang's already outlasted his career.
Well…Wolfgang had a supportive father.
Julian had a turd for a dad.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:02 pm
LitaStrauss wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:54 pm Julian Lennon had a famous dad too and Wolfgang's already outlasted his career.
Well…Wolfgang had a supportive father.
Julian had a turd for a dad.
And a cuntwhore for a stepmom.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

Julian had a platinum album in the 80s a bunch of minor hits for years and is still releasing albums to this day. How has Wolfgang outlasted that? Also had a Grammy nomination for his first album, just like Wolfdown had for Distance.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Lennon
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

I think he truly believes he is "making" it on his own. As if refusing to play Panama makes everyone forget who hs dad is
Zinny
Headlining Clubs

Post by Zinny »

I wonder if he would have gotten the job as Van Halen’s bass player as a teenger if he was just a talented kid… of course I don’t wonder that. And of course being Van Halen’s son has helped him in the music business. He’d be another talented kid putting up videos on Youtube if he wasn’t.
CrankerBait
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by CrankerBait »

El Vampiro Blanco wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:39 am It sure is a hindrance not having to worry about making a living and getting record deals and tour slots solely because of who your dad is.
I think you're right. He probably wouldn't have a career in music were it not for his famous father, especially when he's not exactly the easiest guy to market in terms of being a little heftier than your average rock musician. I'm sure the comparisons to and endless questions about his dad can get really annoying, but it is what it is. Ask Julian Lennon or Jason Bonham...
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

Yeah ask him at one of these shows.

ParaDime77
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by ParaDime77 »

None of us will know what it’s like to walk out of your own bedroom and the next room over in the house is 5150 studio. That’s all Wolfie was ever faced with growing up.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

BernieTaupson wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:40 pm Yeah ask him at one of these shows.

Didn't P/P sue him and make him change it to "Led Zeppelin Evening"?
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.