The part of Geddy Lee's book I'll probably think about for the rest of my life

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

The part of Geddy Lee's book I'll probably think about for the rest of my life

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

When the British came to liberate the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp, the prisoners were in disbelief because they assumed the Nazis won and the rest of the world was dead. It was the only way they could rationalize nobody coming to save them.

Ged told this story to Neil Peart, who wrote "Red Sector A" about it:
Are we the last ones left alive?
Are we the only human beings to survive?

Great book! But holy cow, Chapter 3 is BRUTAL.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: The part of Geddy Lee's book I'll probably think about for the rest of my life

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Oh, and once free, they went back to their homes just to have the current residents treat them with hostility, like "You're not going to want your houses back, are you?"
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

Re: The part of Geddy Lee's book I'll probably think about for the rest of my life

Post by El Vampiro Blanco »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:26 pm Oh, and once free, they went back to their homes just to have the current residents treat them with hostility, like "You're not going to want your houses back, are you?"
And getting back taxes and fines for not paying their taxes whilst being murdered away in a concentration camp.
GoodJudge
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by GoodJudge »

El Vampiro Blanco wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:48 am
Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:26 pm Oh, and once free, they went back to their homes just to have the current residents treat them with hostility, like "You're not going to want your houses back, are you?"
And getting back taxes and fines for not paying their taxes whilst being murdered away in a concentration camp.
Yeah, but at least they could get back to controlling the world and organising the Great Replacement. :wink:
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

Welcome to communism.

To be fair I assume the "current residents" weren't those who took the houses from the Auschwitz survivors. The usual after the war was that the Communist governments handed out houses left by escaping or killed Nazis.
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

Love_Industry wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:05 am
Welcome to communism.

To be fair I assume the "current residents" weren't those who took the houses from the Auschwitz survivors. The usual after the war was that the Communist governments handed out houses left by escaping or killed Nazis.
This was in the netherlands, not in a communist country...
Danzig in the Dark

Post by Danzig in the Dark »

El Vampiro Blanco wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:36 am

Welcome to communism.

But... but... but... they have national health care, which is the same as Communism, libtard. :lol:
ImageImage
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

Danzig in the Dark wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:07 am

Welcome to communism.

But... but... but... they have national health care, which is the same as Communism, libtard. :lol:
We don't have national health care.
We do have mandatory health insurance though, which then because everyone has to sign up (to whichever health insurance company you want) drives down the price of the insurance.
I pay 140 euro a month, which I understand is a steal compared to US health insurance prices.
CrankerBait
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by CrankerBait »

Welcome to communism.

But... but... but... it isn't the same as Communism. Not even remotely close.
Danzig in the Dark

Post by Danzig in the Dark »

CrankerBait wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:29 am

But... but... but... it isn't the same as Communism. Not even remotely close.
It's not even surprising anymore how many can't make the distinction.
ImageImage
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Welcome to communism.

Ah ok. Geddy has Polish background so I assumed that he wrote about Poland or somewhere east of the postwar border like Ukraine or Lithuania.
veritas
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by veritas »

I liked his book, although i have to confess that as it progressed he seemed, well, more "bitchy" than i would have thought. More a function of just how Canadian nice he comes off in public, so I was surprised by his capacity of grudges, being a bit dictatorial in studio, etc.
The drug stuff really surprised me, especially the cocaine on stage.
But, overall, a really good book, and showed him to be a thoughtful guy.

The holocaust stuff was "tough," although if you've read Night or any other holocaust book, it was not particularly shocking -- but still unreal that it happened.
eddie lee roth
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by eddie lee roth »

I thought it was a great book. That chapter was brutal to read and he told it like it should of been told.

On a bright note I really dug the story of him and his wife vacationing somewhere nice and running into Robert Plant.

And I don’t get the surprise about the drug taking. Really these guys were singing about trees in the 70’s.
Gibsonite
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Gibsonite »

eddie lee roth wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:10 am

And I don’t get the surprise about the drug taking. Really these guys were singing about trees in the 70’s.

https://youtu.be/FcpqLgAV7iQ?si=-2fZYfC8zqCLTKQh
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

El Vampiro Blanco wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:13 am

We do have mandatory health insurance though, which then because everyone has to sign up (to whichever health insurance company you want) drives down the price of the insurance.
I pay 140 euro a month, which I understand is a steal compared to US health insurance prices.

Omg and you still have your freedom?

I was coming of age politically speaking during the era when Obama was trying to get the individual mandate passed (originally conceptualized in America by Republican think tank the Heritage Foundation) along with a national public option to increase competition and further drive down costs, and it’s amazing how such a simple and common-sense concept as you explained here was successfully peddled as the death knell of freedom over here.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

Welcome to communism.

This has nothing to do with Communism. It seems like that word has just become some sort of generic slur. I saw a clip of a crazy lady who started calling the other person a "Communist", and it had nothing to do with what they were fighting about. The dumbing-down of America continues.
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

I'm in Canada and pay.... nothing. And that's with four doctor's appointments in the last couple months and some treatment. Lucky us.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Dyslexicheart wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:03 pm

Welcome to communism.

This has nothing to do with Communism. It seems like that word has just become some sort of generic slur. I saw a clip of a crazy lady who started calling the other person a "Communist", and it had nothing to do with what they were fighting about. The dumbing-down of America continues.
Fail. I was born in a Communist country and my comment was based on real life cases I am familiar with.
That said, you have a point that "Communist" is used as a generic slur for things that sometimes have nothing to do with Communism or Communist governments.
Universal healthcare is less Communist than say tax funded state monopoly on police.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Dyslexicheart wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:07 pm
I'm in Canada and pay.... nothing. And that's with four doctor's appointments in the last couple months and some treatment. Lucky us.
Good. In Sweden it's subsidized, with a co-payment that is just big enough to keep the poorest out but barely noticeable for the middle class.
You also have a 5-6 year difference in life expectancy between low and high income areas in Stockholm and up to 10 compared to some of the the poorest rural municipalities.
grishnak boss

Post by grishnak boss »

Welcome to communism.

fucking idiot, that's capitalism :lol:
SatanOscillateMyMetallicSonatas

Dogma: I am God.
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:22 pm When the British came to liberate the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp, the prisoners were in disbelief because they assumed the Nazis won and the rest of the world was dead. It was the only way they could rationalize nobody coming to save them.

Ged told this story to Neil Peart, who wrote "Red Sector A" about it:
Are we the last ones left alive?
Are we the only human beings to survive?

Great book! But holy cow, Chapter 3 is BRUTAL.
Not sure it is a true story though.
These camps received new prisoners all the time, so they would have told the others there was still a war.
Population in Bergen Belsen especially exploded in the last year of the war, because the Nazi's started moving prisoners from the camps in the east to there, because the Russians were advancing.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

grishnak boss wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:18 pm

Welcome to communism.

fucking idiot, that's capitalism :lol:
Capitalism would be hunting down the Nazis so they could pay market rate rent for the time they lived in the survivors' houses. With interest. Have you never played Monopoly?