Phil X interview - good Jovi stories

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

gtrjay
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Phil X interview - good Jovi stories

Post by gtrjay »

Forgot he was in Triumph for a bit. Some good early stories. By last 15 mins he breaks down on his he got the Jovi gig.
Signing non disclosure agreements. Arranging songs. Working with Jon and more.

Phil seems like a great guy.

I would love to see a reunion / farewell tour with Richie and Phil on second guitar. John Shanks can stay home.
:lol:

https://youtu.be/9_588urI8Vg?si=BQ2c_yeApSqm9tQO
Last edited by gtrjay on Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I’m completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. These two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin - Modern Philosopher
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Re: Phil X interview - good Jovi stories

Post by BDG135 »

That would be cool to see Richie and Phil trade solos. It could work to have extended versions of songs to give Jon's voice a rest. Not sure if Richie would want to do that.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

Post by Jason Jennifer Leigh »

Jon would fire Phil X before he took Shanks out of the band.

Great interview! My wife subscribes to his live chat and he’s just the BEST … he’s wished my daughter happy graduation, sings and plays a kick ass version of Happy Birthday to his subscribers and actually remembers life events of his subscribers … I can not say enough good things about him.

Sometimes if he’s in a mood he’ll say some interesting things about being in Bon Jovi, current Bon Jovi music and Shanks.
Ozzy Stradlin
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

BDG135 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:03 am That would be cool to see Richie and Phil trade solos. It could work to have extended versions of songs to give Jon's voice a rest. Not sure if Richie would want to do that.
To give Jon’s voice a rest, just let Richie sing all of the songs.
sirthx2
Doing 10 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by sirthx2 »

Kenny seems like a great guy, but he doesn't appear to be very sharp so his podcast can be a rough listen for me. He rarely asks the right questions or responds to the guest in the appropriate way.
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
TeslaFan
Recording Debut Album

Post by TeslaFan »

gtrjay wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:53 am Forgot he was in Triumph for a bit. Some good early stories. By last 15 mins he breaks down on his he got the Jovi gig.

I would love to see a reunion / farewell tour with Richie and Phil on second guitar. John Shanks can stay home.

Makes we wonder how much does Phil get per year for his Bon Jovi gig? He records new stuff with them but I’m sure Jon is pretty protective of any publishing he does. Does he make more than 500k per year ? It’s a huge gig but is the money really there for him ?
Just a regular guy who likes Metal
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

TeslaFan wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:34 am
gtrjay wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:53 am Forgot he was in Triumph for a bit. Some good early stories. By last 15 mins he breaks down on his he got the Jovi gig.

Makes we wonder how much does Phil get per year for his Bon Jovi gig? He records new stuff with them but I’m sure Jon is pretty protective of any publishing he does. Does he make more than 500k per year ? It’s a huge gig but is the money really there for him ?
I'm sure his salary is high. Probably not as high as Tico and Dave.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
sirthx2
Doing 10 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by sirthx2 »

TeslaFan wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:34 am

Jon hit the lottery bringing in Phil. He's not a boozer, chops on par with anyone, good voice, dependable and maybe most importantly good-dude personality. You pay that dude so he sticks around.
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

Pays him but doesn’t really use him on albums, on This House Is Not For Sale Phil only played like 4 out of 17 solos … Shanks played the rest.

It was the same on 2020.

Phil’s time to shine live during the “Keep The Faith” solo is has been now cut in half because Shanks now plays half the f’n solo.
gtrjay
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by gtrjay »

Jason Jennifer Leigh wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:13 pm Pays him but doesn’t really use him on albums, on This House Is Not For Sale Phil only played like 4 out of 17 solos … Shanks played the rest.

It was the same on 2020.

Phil’s time to shine live during the “Keep The Faith” solo is has been now cut in half because Shanks now plays half the f’n solo.
Shanks needs to go.

Team Sambora
I’m completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. These two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin - Modern Philosopher
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
Nobodyspecial
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by Nobodyspecial »

gtrjay wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:00 pm
Jason Jennifer Leigh wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:13 pm Pays him but doesn’t really use him on albums, on This House Is Not For Sale Phil only played like 4 out of 17 solos … Shanks played the rest.

It was the same on 2020.

Shanks needs to go.

Team Sambora

^^^THIS^^^

Shanks needs to go....
DevastatinDave

Post by DevastatinDave »

He does some song bits on Rick Beato’s YouTube clips. Check Rick out anyway. And does seem like a great guy.
Charles Bukaki

Post by Charles Bukaki »

sirthx2 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:51 am Kenny seems like a great guy, but he doesn't appear to be very sharp so his podcast can be a rough listen for me. He rarely asks the right questions or responds to the guest in the appropriate way.
This. He gets interesting guests but he can be too excitable and doesn't follow up well and tends to turn everything back to himself. He's not the only podcaster that does this (Dean Del Ray, Marc Maron) and it can be annoying as fuck. Just let the guest talk and tell their story, it shouldn't be that difficult.
Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

Jon will discuss his health problems in the new Bon Jovi documentary.
dweezil

Post by dweezil »

Jason Jennifer Leigh wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:56 pm Jon will discuss his health problems in the new Bon Jovi documentary.
What's the over/under that he'll acknowledge any vocal issues prior to 2020, given the shaky performances he's given since at least 2007.
You can listen to my two albums here.... Sludge away, fuckers!

http://easeintothenoise.bandcamp.com
TheDeadBastard
Headlining Clubs

Post by TheDeadBastard »

Phil’s Fretted Americana YouTube videos were always great. Couldn’t tell if he had ADHD or was partaking in the old booger sugar, but it sure was entertaining.
ImageImage