Al Rosa Villa - Columbus, OH anyone?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Al Rosa Villa - Columbus, OH anyone?

Post by TooOldToCare »

The Harpos thread made me think of my city's former shithole club, the Al Rosa Villa - infamously where Dimebag was murdered. We used to go there nearly every weekend back in the day. Great club shows tribute bands, cheap pitchers, and a couple of pool tables. The last show I saw there was Winery Dogs in 2013. My list includes Ace, Warrant, Hed PE, maybe System of a Down, Fear Factory, Steelheart, and the list goes on. As it tends to go, that part of Columbus became more ghetto over the years. The club was leveled for low-cost housing, and it is officially ghetto these days.

Have any Sludgers ever had a wildly drunken time there or happened to be at the Damageplan show where the shooting went down? I used to live in an apartment about a mile away when that part of town had more restaurants and shopping centers/malls and was essentially safe. Can't remember how I got home some weekends.
Deputy Hedge
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: Al Rosa Villa - Columbus, OH anyone?

Post by Deputy Hedge »

Saw some shows there - Warrant (Belly to Belly era?), LA Guns (once with Phil on vocals, once with Chris Van Dahl on vocals), Bruce Dickinson, Incubus, Jani Lane, Spread Eagle, Mr. Big & Lynch Mob, Ratt, Last in Line, Stryper, Jack Russell's Great White/Bulletboys/Lillian Axe/Band that Shall Not Be Named, King's X. Probably a few others that I don't remember.

I know to keep the doors open the booking had to adapt but there were years where I didn't go because they didn't book anyone I was interested in seeing. Parking and bathrooms sucked but for a shit hole, it was a good shit hole. I do like The King of Clubs which is not too far away and is basically booking everything the Alrosa would have been booking had it still been around.
HoldenSSV
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by HoldenSSV »

Too many to list 'em all, but some of the highlights would be Dream Theater, Ratt, Jackyl, XYZ, and Tyketto. Rick Cautela was a pretty chill dude.

King of Clubs is a nice venue.
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."
steviedoes
Recording Debut Album

Post by steviedoes »

I saw Warrant twice, Jani Lane solo once, and Enuff Z'nuff twice at Al Rosa Villa. I was in the front row for Warrant in December of 95, got tequila from Jani and caught a guitar pick from Rick Steier. I thought it was a decent place to see a show. Smaller than Annie's in Cincinnati where I'd usually go to see Warrant in those days, but I liked the layout of Al Rosa more.
New Fuzzruckus single "I Never Liked You The Way You Thought I Did" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkS904a ... t1cw%3D%3D
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

Not that I was ever in the area, but there's no way I'd ever go in there after what happened. Just feels like a place that shouldn't exist.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

HoldenSSV wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:56 am Too many to list 'em all, but some of the highlights would be Dream Theater, Ratt, Jackyl, XYZ, and Tyketto. Rick Cautela was a pretty chill dude.

King of Clubs is a nice venue.
Rick was cool. Remember Laverne, who ran some sound and lights and did everything else needed? The guy was a machine. Haven't been to King of Clubs. I'm lazy and now live in Grovetucky. Long drive for me after midnight. Hell, I'm usually an hour into sleep by midnight.
Nate S Axel
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Nate S Axel »

TooOldToCare wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:13 am Have any Sludgers ever had a wildly drunken time there or happened to be at the Damageplan show where the shooting went down? I used to live in an apartment about a mile away when that part of town had more restaurants and shopping centers/malls and was essentially safe. Can't remember how I got home some weekends.
Oh yeah, there were a couple -- Sludgers that haven't posted here forever. I think one of them was named "Woody" something, probably with some numbers after his name. I remember him giving us a live update on what was one of the worst days in music, as best he could.
https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

Nate S Axel wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:06 am
TooOldToCare wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:13 am Have any Sludgers ever had a wildly drunken time there or happened to be at the Damageplan show where the shooting went down? I used to live in an apartment about a mile away when that part of town had more restaurants and shopping centers/malls and was essentially safe. Can't remember how I got home some weekends.
Oh yeah, there were a couple -- Sludgers that haven't posted here forever. I think one of them was named "Woody" something, probably with some numbers after his name. I remember him giving us a live update on what was one of the worst days in music, as best he could.
I live in Cbus and vividly recall watching the report on the local news with disbelief. I had considered going to the show as a casual Pantera fan and dug that Damageplan song, Save Me. I'm super glad I did not. Before social media and the surge of mass shootings, this seemed like something that could never happen. Attending shows afterward was a little scary from the "what if" POV.
Tymaster
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tymaster »

TooOldToCare wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:13 am The Harpos thread made me think of my city's former shithole club, the Al Rosa Villa - infamously where Dimebag was murdered. We used to go there nearly every weekend back in the day. Great club shows tribute bands, cheap pitchers, and a couple of pool tables. The last show I saw there was Winery Dogs in 2013. My list includes Ace, Warrant, Hed PE, maybe System of a Down, Fear Factory, Steelheart, and the list goes on. As it tends to go, that part of Columbus became more ghetto over the years. The club was leveled for low-cost housing, and it is officially ghetto these days.

Have any Sludgers ever had a wildly drunken time there or happened to be at the Damageplan show where the shooting went down? I used to live in an apartment about a mile away when that part of town had more restaurants and shopping centers/malls and was essentially safe. Can't remember how I got home some weekends.
Total dive. No backstage to speak of (two broom closets on either side of the stage) and a horribly dirty carpeted floor area. Who thought that was a good idea!? It was cool to see bands like Anthrax and Type O Negative up close and personal but I always preferred The Newport. It seems like The King of Clubs has filled the void.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

Tymaster wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:30 pm
TooOldToCare wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:13 am The Harpos thread made me think of my city's former shithole club, the Al Rosa Villa - infamously where Dimebag was murdered. We used to go there nearly every weekend back in the day. Great club shows tribute bands, cheap pitchers, and a couple of pool tables. The last show I saw there was Winery Dogs in 2013. My list includes Ace, Warrant, Hed PE, maybe System of a Down, Fear Factory, Steelheart, and the list goes on. As it tends to go, that part of Columbus became more ghetto over the years. The club was leveled for low-cost housing, and it is officially ghetto these days.

Total dive. No backstage to speak of (two broom closets on either side of the stage) and a horribly dirty carpeted floor area. Who thought that was a good idea!? It was cool to see bands like Anthrax and Type O Negative up close and personal but I always preferred The Newport. It seems like The King of Clubs has filled the void.
Out of all the "famous" bands that passed through, my favorite shows were Rosie, a local/original band that didn't make it past the Midwest, except for lead guitarist Mark Chatfield, who went on to tour with Bob Seger for many years after. I'll have to check out King of Clubs. Tonight I'm being dragged out to see the "reunion" of a local band from the late 80s/90s called Armada at Turtle Creek Tavern (because my bro in law is the fucking drummer). It's 5 pm now. I want to eat, watch basketball on my couch, and go to bed. I hate going out in the winter despite the spring temps in Ohio right now. Yes, I'm a curmudgeon.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

TooOldToCare wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:50 pm
Tymaster wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:30 pm

Out of all the "famous" bands that passed through, my favorite shows were Rosie, a local/original band that didn't make it past the Midwest, except for lead guitarist Mark Chatfield, who went on to tour with Bob Seger for many years after. I'll have to check out King of Clubs. Tonight I'm being dragged out to see the "reunion" of a local band from the late 80s/90s called Armada at Turtle Creek Tavern (because my bro in law is the fucking drummer). It's 5 pm now. I want to eat, watch basketball on my couch, and go to bed. I hate going out in the winter despite the spring temps in Ohio right now. Yes, I'm a curmudgeon.
Chatfield was leading a resurrected version of The Godz but I suspect that is the backburner as he just landed Bruce Kulick's old gig in Grand Funk RR.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
HoldenSSV
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by HoldenSSV »

Tymaster wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:30 pm It was cool to see bands like Anthrax and Type O Negative up close and personal but I always preferred The Newport.
The Newport was even better in the 80s before they put up the barricade. We'd have our elbows on the stage, steal setlists, and give shots to the artists that wanted them. My buddy worked at the restaurant next door and they catered most shows, so he always made sure I was "on the guest list". I probably saw 20+ shows over a few years but have no ticket stubs to prove it.

During the Ratt reunion show at the Al Rosa, they were waaay over capacity and didn't even open the side doors. I don't think there was a patio yet.
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

I haven't been to Newport since the 90s, but I always did like the place. The last show I saw there was Static-X and Powerman 5000. Great show from the 90s era. Saw other bands ranging from Warrant to Rick Springfield.

My favorite club/theater is the Bluestone, an old church-turned-club in downtown Cbus. It's slightly smaller than Newport but a great venue. I believe it can also be rented for parties and other occasions.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

I still can’t comprehend Dime is gone all these years later. I’m glad I got to see him a couple times
Ol' Dirty Bastard
Recording Debut Album

Post by Ol' Dirty Bastard »

Was invited to go to that Damageplan show, didn't go, best decision I ever made as far as skipping a show goes.

Now skipping the last show Chris Cornell was alive to play with Soundgarden is a different story, fuck my life for that one.
LIVE N' UNCUT

Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

TooOldToCare wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:39 am I haven't been to Newport since the 90s, but I always did like the place. The last show I saw there was Static-X and Powerman 5000. Great show from the 90s era. Saw other bands ranging from Warrant to Rick Springfield.

My favorite club/theater is the Bluestone, an old church-turned-club in downtown Cbus. It's slightly smaller than Newport but a great venue. I believe it can also be rented for parties and other occasions.
Seems like the sound bounces around that room everywhere. Lovely venue to look at, for sure.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

Semi-related, looks like for the 2024 Pantera shows, they've scrapped the Cemetary Gates taped tribute, and replaced it actually playing Floods.

I might have to go see this show now, that's one of my favorite songs by them.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/watch-pan ... rican-tour
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

Tymaster wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:55 am
TooOldToCare wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:39 am I haven't been to Newport since the 90s, but I always did like the place. The last show I saw there was Static-X and Powerman 5000. Great show from the 90s era. Saw other bands ranging from Warrant to Rick Springfield.

Seems like the sound bounces around that room everywhere. Lovely venue to look at, for sure.
I usually stand on the left side along a ramp with a rail. In the shows I've been to, it's not too bad. On the floor, I bet you get tons of bounce. And mileage always varies with dialing in the PA. JFC, at a strip mall bar last night, this cover/original/local band's first set was a great sound. The band was just okay. The second set was painful. I had to pull out the earplugs. I couldn't take it and left.
MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

Tuff played there a few times, including back in the heyday... at least for us, meaning 1991 on the "WCAGA" tour and it was slamming packed!

We played there in subsequent years as well, prolly 1992, 1993, etc.... but a few shows stand out...

I recall on 1 tour, it was likely in 1994 if memory serves me, we played there and it was slim, maybe 150-200 there... which it held, what, 800-1,000?

Tuff was on our "Fist First" tour, and I remember at soundcheck everyone who worked at the club was talking about the show, from the night before.

Korn was here, "Wow, it was packed... had to be 900 people in here" etc... everyone was floored and said they were awesome.

I was kinda shocked... like thinking "Really? They're that big already?" and I had just seen them in L.A, at Dragon Fly on a weeknight, 6 months before, in front of 80 people.

Honestly, I didn't get it, I wasn't sold... and couldn't grasp the guitarists bent over, with the guitar on the floor. I didn't understand it. lol.

I also didn't get it, when Atlantic's label heads played us Stone Temple Pilots in their offices... I was just not buying it... but, I was wrong and then-some.

I also recall Tuff playing on a mini midwest tour 2005, it was the year after Dimebag was murdered... and "Al Rosa Villa" booked us.

Ron Keel was on the bill. Tuff and maybe Lillian Axe, etc... it was kind of eerie for sure, at sound-check, and walking on that stage.

On the side of the building in back, in the dressing room, it was covered with RIP DIME messages, etc... it was hard to be there.

After the show I was driving the Van, and Brian our bass player said; "Stop the van..." and everyone said "Why?"

He said: "I want to say a prayer" as I pulled over in the back, just feet from the back-stage door.

It was dark out, people pulling out, hearing Pantera cranking on people's car stereo as they pulled out of the parking lot, etc..

Everyone was silent... and I had the hugest lump in my throat...I am sure everyone else did too. It sucked.

Brian was so brave... he prayed out loud, and all of us just sat there silent. Everyone was crying, or trying not to cry.

After he finished he said "Amen" and everyone muttered "Amen"... nobody said another word on the drive to the Motel.

We were all in disbelief... someone who most of us had met, or knew, was murdered on that same stage, that we just played on.

It was not an easy gig... and dare I say, it was not easy for any rocker, to go there, be there, or play there after, but we all did, and did so for Dime!

$tEvil
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

Good stories and life-changing memories. ^^^

Now, stupid shit like that has become American-normal (that is, people walking into a public space and opening fire).