I watched the Grammys last night and...

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

I watched the Grammys last night and...

Post by Mister Freeze »

I didn't hate it.

It may have been the whiskey, but a had a tear in my eye during "Fast Car." Great song. Great performance. No bullshit. No background dancers. No medley.

Nice to see Billy Joel get some love too and close the show.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Fletch
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Re: I watched the Grammys last night and...

Post by Fletch »

Wendy & Lisa from The Revolution getting probably their biggest publicity since Purple Rain last night with Annie Lenox
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

Mister Freeze wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:22 am I didn't hate it.

It may have been the whiskey, but a had a tear in my eye during "Fast Car." Great song. Great performance. No bullshit. No background dancers. No medley.

That would be my assessment as well.... Didn't hate it. And that is a miracle based on the last few decades

Tracy Chapman/Combs was awesome. She looked and sounded great. And 100% correct. No bullshit.

Some funny speeches. Miley was great, Annie Lenox, Billy Joel, Stevie Wonder. Sia were all solid. And an actual surprise with Celine Dion showing up.

I had never heard Sza before. Thought she was a "pop thug rapper" like Megan The Stallion. But she actually had some talent. Could have done without the dancers though

Wife and I usually record it and start it late so we can FF though the shit, but we watched almost all of it.

If someone could brief me what Jay Z was rambling on about, that'd be great.

I'd give it a solid 6.5 out of 10.
TravisBicklesMohawk
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by TravisBicklesMohawk »

Jay-Z was rambling about what he always rambles about . . . Beyonce' not winning Album of the Year, once again.

But overall, a pretty good show.
Good to see some old school faces like Annie Lennox amongst the newer stars, most of which I've never heard of.
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Um, 80 yo Joni Mitchell making everybody cry...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

TravisBicklesMohawk wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:03 am Jay-Z was rambling about what he always rambles about . . . Beyonce' not winning Album of the Year, once again.

In other words, the woman who receives endless praise and adoration needs more praise and adoration.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
gtrjay
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by gtrjay »

Fantastic burrito signing Tina Turner was caught lip syncing. :lol:

Jay Z rambled on. But said 1-2 very true things.
“Some of you may feel like you got robbed in your award (not getting one) and some of you shouldn’t be nominated”

Then a few hours later. Killer Mike won a few awards and then was arrested. :lol:
I’m completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. These two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin - Modern Philosopher
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by TooOldToCare »

Highlights for me (there are normally none for me):

- Miley (both her performance of Flowers and her speech). I like the song, so shoot me. She's grown on me as she's matured.
- Annie Lennox - I fucking love that song and loved Wendy and Lisa there with her.
- Tracy and Luke - made me nostalgic and feel something that no longer exists in today's world.
- Billy Joel - I wish his single had been more upbeat than melancholy, but it has emotion, and it is good to hear something new.

As legendary as Joni is, I felt bad for her. She's had some rough patches with health, but I'm glad she got to do her thing for the first time ever on the Grammys.
Stevie Wonder is a legend too, but damn, I can't hang with his warbling.

I wish so many people hadn't died. It hits a lot differently when you're speeding toward 60 than when you're 30.
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

I thought Joni was THE highlight of the show. Very poignant and beautiful song. It actually brought tears to my eyes. She has more talent than 99% of the musicians that were there.
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Grammys? What's that? Oh, you mean that huge event T-Swift held for all her Swifties last night to announce her new album? What were all those other people doing there?
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
sirthx2
Doing 10 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by sirthx2 »

TooOldToCare wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:46 am Highlights for me (there are normally none for me):
- Tracy and Luke - made me nostalgic and feel something that no longer exists in today's world.
I wish so many people hadn't died. It hits a lot differently when you're speeding toward 60 than when you're 30.
I haven't seen the show yet but I did see the Tracy/Luke performance and it was goosebump city for me. Funny thing is back in the day when it was on MTV in heavy rotation it was always such a bring-down. "Come on man, what is this shit?!! Play Wild Side or Sex Action for fuck's sake!"

Fast Car doesn't really work covered by a dude though, does it? Isn't about a girl who's been abused (maybe by dad or boyfriend) and trying to get away from said abuse?
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

dmbrocker wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:23 am Grammys? What's that? Oh, you mean that huge event T-Swift held for all her Swifties last night to announce her new album? What were all those other people doing there?

lol. I thought you'd be all over this.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

daveg wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:39 am Miley was great...

She seems to be in the "no fucks given" phase of her career and having the time of her life. I kinda love it.
Fat_Elvis
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Fat_Elvis »

Other than the gray hair, Tracy Chapman doesn't look like she's aged a day!
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

Did Taylor Swift wear Kiss makeup again?
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
sirthx2

Post by sirthx2 »

Fat_Elvis wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:00 pm Other than the gray hair, Tracy Chapman doesn't look like she's aged a day!
That's what I said to my wife. "Dye her hair and she could be 25".
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

sirthx2 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:18 am
TooOldToCare wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:46 am Highlights for me (there are normally none for me):
I haven't seen the show yet but I did see the Tracy/Luke performance and it was goosebump city for me. Funny thing is back in the day when it was on MTV in heavy rotation it was always such a bring-down. "Come on man, what is this shit?!! Play Wild Side or Sex Action for fuck's sake!"

Fast Car doesn't really work covered by a dude though, does it? Isn't about a girl who's been abused (maybe by dad or boyfriend) and trying to get away from said abuse?
I don't think it is about abuse. I think it's a relationship song about something that isn't going to work out because it started from the wrong place. And I'm with you when it came on back in the day. I wanted to see Dokken or Dio. Or even No Doubt. Not a folk song.

But yes, maybe being 57 and seeing the "life is short" thing and the changes in all of us that come with age made it hit differently. And I also got the feels from the respect and honor both artists were giving one another during the performance. Now I see Tracy as a storyteller from a time that no longer exists. Something special.
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

gtrjay wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:31 am Then a few hours later. Killer Mike won a few awards and then was arrested. :lol:
Damn, I didn't know he had an album out, I'm a fan of his Run the Jewels albums...I need to check this shit out.
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

Thought the show was good. Outside of SZA, live vocals were actually taking place.

Miley Cyrus is pure entertainment to me. One off the very few pop stars that can legitimately entertain.

Fast Car is such a heavy fucking song. One l never understood as a kid when it was first released. A legendary performance went down last night.

In 2024. Jay Z is another oldhead at the party holding on to his accolades and chest bumping. He’s made great albums but is in the “who fucking cares about this old guy” category. Justin Timberlake suffering the same fate.

Ozempic seems to be the new drug of choice. Clarkson, XTina, Oprah and Lainey Wilson all have their faces and butt cheeks sliding right off this bodies. Gross.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Mister Freeze wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:20 am
TravisBicklesMohawk wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:03 am Jay-Z was rambling about what he always rambles about . . . Beyonce' not winning Album of the Year, once again.

In other words, the woman who receives endless praise and adoration needs more praise and adoration.
Yep. She has won 36 Grammys and people are still bitching about her never winning album of the year!

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/202 ... nc-problem
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Mister Freeze wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:19 am
dmbrocker wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:23 am Grammys? What's that? Oh, you mean that huge event T-Swift held for all her Swifties last night to announce her new album? What were all those other people doing there?

:lol:

Yeah dmbrocker, what were you doing instead?
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

pieceofme wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:08 pm
Mister Freeze wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:19 am

:lol

Yeah dmbrocker, what were you doing instead?
Waiting for the album announcement and hoping someone would beat me to it.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
HORRORHOLIC1979
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by HORRORHOLIC1979 »

I thought it was much better than usual too. Even the comedy worked somewhat which is usually the worst.

I really like Olivia Rodrigo and her performance of Vampire was great.
"They're never gonna find your face, it's hidden away
I found a very special place where you used to play"
- Alice Cooper
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Mister Freeze wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:22 am I didn't hate it.

With the exception of Jay Z crying like a little girl because his wife has never won album of the year, I thought it was good too. I could’ve done without the one kid throwing chairs around like he was in a Royal Rumble.

Combs/Chapman was the highlight of the night for me. I’ve enjoyed his cover since I first heard it a while ago.
itdoesntmatter
Headlining Clubs

Post by itdoesntmatter »

Psychobolia.com wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:23 pm
gtrjay wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:31 am Then a few hours later. Killer Mike won a few awards and then was arrested. :lol:
Damn, I didn't know he had an album out, I'm a fan of his Run the Jewels albums...I need to check this shit out.
"Michael" is produced by No ID (has at least one guest appearance by El-P and some other guests more expected for an Atlanta rapper) and is a little different than RTJ or his previous solo work, but definitely worth a spin. Almost 49 years-old and won all the rap awards. Happy dude. Said in an interview he invested about $500,000 of his own money. Came out on Loma Vista, but probably one of those joint venture/licensing deals where he put up the recording costs. He hasn't said why he was arrested, but I mean why would he? Supposedly a misdemeanor assault. maybe he shoved a security guard or something. Booked and out pretty fast. Too bad that got more coverage than the fact a 48 year-old rapper won 3 Grammys and has Tiktok rappers with song lyrics like "Herrrr, dderrrrr, purrrrrrrp, sizurrppp, ha ha " confused.
sirthx2

Post by sirthx2 »

TooOldToCare wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:18 pm
I don't think it is about abuse. I think it's a relationship song about something that isn't going to work out because it started from the wrong place. And I'm with you when it came on back in the day. I wanted to see Dokken or Dio. Or even No Doubt. Not a folk song.
My abuse take is that she's in a life-long relationship with a loser, jobless guy who drinks too much. That we know. What's a common theme among women who are abused? They stay with and often defend their abuser. Finally at the end of the song she gets the balls to say 'get in your car and keep on drivin'.' She doesn't come out and say she's being abused but I always took it that way. The beauty of a good song, eh? We all paint a different picture in our heads.

Now let's dissect RATT's Slip of the Lip

What was SP trying to communicate with:
Slip, slip, slip of the lip
I like the way you move your hips.
Slip slip, slip of the lip
The way you move, you don't miss!

Excuse me while I get a tissue. It's so beautiful. snif.

TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

sirthx2 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:21 am
The beauty of a good song, eh? We all paint a different picture in our heads.
Agreed. Like a painting, it can be interpreted differently by the viewer. The only time I hate that take is when it comes to movies. In many cases, not having a strong ending is a directorial copout, IMO.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

My abuse take is that she's in a life-long relationship with a loser, jobless guy who drinks too much. That we know. What's a common theme among women who are abused? They stay with and often defend their abuser. Finally at the end of the song she gets the balls to say 'get in your car and keep on drivin'.' She doesn't come out and say she's being abused but I always took it that way. The beauty of a good song, eh? We all paint a different picture in our heads.

I googled the meaning and came across this quote: "I never had a fast car, it’s just a story about a couple, how they are trying to make a life together and they face challenges."

Simple, but very relatable, especially for women. Maybe you connect with someone and feel accepted. Maybe that person is good for you now, but isn't the right person in the long run. And if someone doesn't have the same motivation you have, they'll probably never change.

There's the reference to her mom leaving her dad in the third verse, foreshadowing the end of the song and showing how people tend to gravitate to what they know.

Just a brilliant song all around. Speaking of which....

Now let's dissect RATT's Slip of the Lip

What was SP trying to communicate with:
Slip, slip, slip of the lip
I like the way you move your hips.
Slip slip, slip of the lip
The way you move, you don't miss!

I always saw this as loose lips sink ships. But I may have to google the meaning on this one too.
dmbrocker

Post by dmbrocker »

“Slip of the Lip” is about a barely legal hooker, isn’t it? Bet she digs guys in fast cars, too!
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

dmbrocker wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:02 am “Slip of the Lip” is about a barely legal hooker, isn’t it? Bet she digs guys in fast cars, too!

At fifteen you wanted someone to call your own
Sweet sixteen, you couldn't see straight
You couldn't let go
Now you're eighteen and you barely make a sound
You're getting older, a little bolder
You're in the lost and found

Ratt sound like a bunch of groomers to me. Let's give the "abuse" tag to this song too.