40 years ago this week a new wave classic hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100: Where does "Karma Chameleon" rank for you?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

40 years ago this week a new wave classic hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100: Where does "Karma Chameleon" rank for you?

Post by dmbrocker »

One of the most iconic new wave hits to come out of the 80's, and Boy George and Co.'s biggest chart success. I love it. How about you Sludgers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcA9LIIXWw
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Nate S Axel
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: 40 years ago this week a new wave classic hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100: Where does "Karma Chameleon" rank for you

Post by Nate S Axel »

https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life
pieceofme

Re: 40 years ago this week a new wave classic hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100: Where does "Karma Chameleon" rank for you

Post by pieceofme »

Low.

I like a lot of cheesy 80s hits. But this one is annoying.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

Even as a 16 year old headbanger, I absolutely loved that tune. Incredible pop song

Time, Church of the Poison Mind. Do you really... Man they had some great tunes.
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

gay/supergay

but funny slipping in the ‘come & go’ entendre
sirthx2
Doing 10 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by sirthx2 »

His vocal tone is so good I always dug their songs.
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

"It's a Miracle" was more my speed.

Great voice, regardless.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

Reminds me of my mother forcing me to go to swimming lesson’s at age 6. Hated it’ll
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
PBFSUCKS
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by PBFSUCKS »

Great song! They had a few really good songs. He had a great voice.
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

Very high
Didn’t understand song most likely. Everything else was awesome. First thought was probably “dudes can dress like a girl?” Thats rad
I remember family trying to introduce me to 70s rock bands after like Stones The Who and awful Led Zep. None of them was cool like Boy George
Discovered this song maybe 2 years after it “hit”
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
maninblack
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by maninblack »

This is his friend Mariltyn.

maninblack
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by maninblack »

Marilyn had a 5 year affair with Gavin Rosdale, the lead singer of Bush whom was also married to Gwen Stefani ( but he was marreid to Gwen after he had affair with Marilyn ).

rubysdad
Having Slaughter Open for You

Post by rubysdad »

Great song.
Darrien
Headlining Clubs

Post by Darrien »

Loved it back in the day, now, not so much. He did/does have a good voice though.
Dayman...fighter of the Nightman..
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

Always loved the song. I didn't realize how good the band was or how good George's voice was until I saw the VH1 storytellers show. It was released officially on CD. I absolutely recommend checking that out. It's the greatest hits played with a real, live band. It's much more R&B sounding than the albums.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
sicktwistedfreak
Opening for Slaughter

Post by sicktwistedfreak »

Tainted Love by Soft Cell [Marc Almond] will always be my #1 80's song.
Whether it's his outer glaze or cream-filled insides, King Ding Dong gets his subjects filthy!
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

sicktwistedfreak wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:30 am Tainted Love by Soft Cell [Marc Almond] will always be my #1 80's song.
Far better song. Although I didn't realise for years it was a cover!
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Darrien
Headlining Clubs

Post by Darrien »

pieceofme wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:59 am
sicktwistedfreak wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:30 am Tainted Love by Soft Cell [Marc Almond] will always be my #1 80's song.
Tainted Love doesn't really sound like anything else on the album but the whole Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret album is 80's greatness, you can tell he was coked out during those vocal takes.
Dayman...fighter of the Nightman..
sicktwistedfreak
Opening for Slaughter

Post by sicktwistedfreak »

pieceofme wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:59 am
Funny thing is I have read before that Gloria Jones did not like what the song was about and did not want to perform it live.

https://songorigin.com/from-obscurity-t ... nted-love/
Last edited by sicktwistedfreak on Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whether it's his outer glaze or cream-filled insides, King Ding Dong gets his subjects filthy!
CrankerBait
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by CrankerBait »

Culture Club is one of my least favorite early 80s British acts. Never thought they were really doing anything very original, whether musically or with their image. "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me" was alright, but I hated "Karma Chameleon" from the first listen. It ranks very low for me.

I think Boy George was at his best singing the theme song for "The Crying Game". Some English friends of mine claim he's also a good club DJ, but I'll have to take their word for it.
RaceFan3
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by RaceFan3 »

Not a fan of that particular song but most of their other hits were great. Say what you want about how flamboyant and over the top Boy George was/is, the dude could sure write a pop song. Great voice too. Still sounds good today, even with a lower/gruffer register.
*I kinda want a new screenname. Seriously. I barely watch racing anymore. :x
whiteowl yesterday
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

i love culture club.
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"