Former WAAF Boston DJ Mistress Carrie has a podcast

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

MisterSinister
Cockblocked by Poison

Former WAAF Boston DJ Mistress Carrie has a podcast

Post by MisterSinister »

longform interviews with musicians and a daily rock news “Situation Report”. Good stuff. Check it out:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/t ... 1514486517

RIP WAAF
Nobodyspecial
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Re: Former WAAF Boston DJ Mistress Carrie has a podcast

Post by Nobodyspecial »

MisterSinister wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:45 am longform interviews with musicians and a daily rock news “Situation Report”. Good stuff. Check it out:

RIP WAAF
WAAF used to be great, but I jumped ship around the time they switched to grunge and starting making fun of all the hair bands that helped make them what they were. Slamming and making jokes about the bands that played all their indoor beach parties and other events. I know they were just changing with the time, but it rubbed me the wrong way.
Last edited by Nobodyspecial on Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
tooth
Recording Debut Album

Post by tooth »

The only rub was they were out of Worcester & had a weak ass signal, you couldn't even really get them in Boston. I would still try, though. O & A, Hillman/LB, Mistress Carrie etc. were all solid enough & that was the only place you could hear that type of music, at the time. I think HJY in Providence may have been similar but again, you couldn't get them in Boston.
Spongie
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Spongie »

tooth wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:33 am The only rub was they were out of Worcester & had a weak ass signal, you couldn't even really get them in Boston. I would still try, though. O & A, Hillman/LB, Mistress Carrie etc. were all solid enough & that was the only place you could hear that type of music, at the time. I think HJY in Providence may have been similar but again, you couldn't get them in Boston.
There was BCN but that was slanted more towards classic rock.
MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

Nobodyspecial wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:50 am
MisterSinister wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:45 am longform interviews with musicians and a daily rock news “Situation Report”. Good stuff. Check it out:

RIP WAAF
WAAF used to be great, but I jumped ship around the time they switched to grunge and they starting making fun of all the hair bands that help make them what they were. Slamming and making jokes about the bands that played all their indoor beach parties and other events. I know they were just changing with the time, but it rubbed me the wrong way.

"""""""""""""""""WAAF used to be great, but I jumped ship around the time they switched to grunge and they starting making fun of all the hair bands that help make them what they were. Slamming and making jokes about the bands that played all their indoor beach parties and other events.""""""""""""""""""

This x1M!

They were HUGE supporters of Tuff... had us in the station, on air, played "IHKYG" and the rest.

A few short years later, I called Liz Wilde to check in tell her about "Fist First", we were coming to the Boston area, etc..

For those who don't know, she was a popular at the time Dj at WAAF, and she took my voice mail message I left her and played it on air, mocked me and they all had a laugh at my expense.

In a nutshell, it was a "Hey, listen to this, hairband singer, poser boy Stevie Rachelle called me to tell me about his band Tuff" blah, blah, blah, ha, ha, ha!

I don't recall how I found out, I think a fan recorded it, and sent it to me. I probably still have the tape somewhere... it was lame and yes, it bummed me out.

Totally mocked me, the band, etc... I recall us being slammed at some point by her in some type of interview as well... fast forward 10-15 years, she was my BFF on FB again.

I was completely and totally miffed, as I never said a single negative word, or comment about her or the station... ever... and they just sh!t on us because it was the cool thing to do.

This was the reaction, of much of the industry... from Producers, club Promoters, labels, management companies and more.

Funny how everyone soon forgot, how they acted, when the shift of the 90's burned out... and by the early 2000's, it became "okay" or acceptable, to acknowledge the hairband era, the players, the musicians and more.

This was much of the reason I wrote those lyrics for "American Hair Band"

$tEvil
Nobodyspecial
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by Nobodyspecial »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:39 am

RIP WAAF
WAAF used to be great, but I jumped ship around the time they switched to grunge and they starting making fun of all the hair bands that help make them what they were. Slamming and making jokes about the bands that played all their indoor beach parties and other events. I know they were just changing with the time, but it rubbed me the wrong way.

"""""""""""""""""WAAF used to be great, but I jumped ship around the time they switched to grunge and they starting making fun of all the hair bands that help make them what they were. Slamming and making jokes about the bands that played all their indoor beach parties and other events.""""""""""""""""""

This x1M!

They were HUGE supporters of Tuff... had us in the station, on air, played "IHKYG" and the rest.

A few short years later, I called Liz Wilde to check in tell her about "Fist First", we were coming to the Boston area, etc..

For those who don't know, she was a popular at the time Dj at WAAF, and she took my voice mail message I left her and played it on air, mocked me and they all had a laugh at my expense.

In a nutshell, it was a "Hey, listen to this, hairband singer, poser boy Stevie Rachelle called me to tell me about his band Tuff" blah, blah, blah, ha, ha, ha!

I don't recall how I found out, I think a fan recorded it, and sent it to me. I probably still have the tape somewhere... it was lame and yes, it bummed me out.

Totally mocked me, the band, etc... I recall us being slammed at some point by her in some type of interview as well... fast forward 10-15 years, she was my BFF on FB again.

I was completely and totally miffed, as I never said a single negative word, or comment about her or the station... ever... and they just sh!t on us because it was the cool thing to do.

This was the reaction, of much of the industry... from Producers, club Promoters, labels, management companies and more.

Funny how everyone soon forgot, how they acted, when the shift of the 90's burned out... and by the early 2000's, it became "okay" or acceptable, to acknowledge the hairband era, the players, the musicians and more.

$tEvil
Yup, just trying to be cool and pretend they hated the hair bands in a lame attempt to stay relevant. It really pissed me off. But in the end WAAf got theirs when Entercom sold it to the Educational Media Foundation for a bit more than 10 million dollars, everyone got fired, and it got turned in into a contemporary Christian radio station.
MisterSinister
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by MisterSinister »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:39 am

RIP WAAF

This x1M!

$tEvil
I remember the only time I heard anything from Warrant’s “Ultraphobic” album on the radio it was when she and a couple dudes whose names I can’t remember were playing it and bagging on it on-air.
_underscore_
Headlining Clubs

Post by _underscore_ »

Damn! Back in 05-08 I used to listen to the Saturday Night Hairball every saturday. This is pre-spotify so one time I requested “Hollywood” by Junkyard because I’d never heard it, and Chuck Klosterman wrote about it in his Fargo Rock City Book. They played it! First time hearing that tune and I like it to this day. I have some good memories of playing basketball outside on a hot summer Saturday night with my little bro, listening to the Hairball on WAAF. Terrestrial radio aint what it was, folks
dweezil
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by dweezil »

WAAF. like WBCN before it. were formerly great stations that ran a good 10-15 years past their prime, not to mention into the ground with their mediocrity. And while adapting with the times isn't a BAD thing, it's not cool to shit on your own past. I remember then ragging on Winger and Warrant in 1994, when they were in heavy rotation just two years prior.

It got to the point where BCN and WAAF's playlist were basically a carbon copy of WFNX (alternative)'s playlist from 4-6 months prior. And you can tell the on-air talent (especially by the mid-to-late 90s) were under strict instruction to act enthusiastic about the playlist, when it was clearly a Riki Rachtman situation. I've spoken to some of the DJs long after the fact, and they admitted to HATING more than half the stuff they had to play.

WBCN shut down in 2009, WFNX in 2012, WAAF in 2020. BCN stopped being vital when they stopped actively supporting local talent in the mid 90s. WAAF stopped being even remotely good when they were desperate to find the next nu metal Korn/Limp Bizkit band after the turn of the century, while actively making fun of their own history. WFNX went down the tubes in the mid-2000s when they adopted this 'classic alternative' format that greatly reduced the amount of new music being featured.

There's nothing resembling an active rock station in Boston since 2020. The closest one would get is Rock 101 out of Manchester, NH, and they average one single tune recorded in this decade per hour, two if you're lucky. Otherwise, enjoy "Pour Some Sugar On Me" for the 90th time today.
You can listen to my two albums here.... Sludge away, fuckers!

http://easeintothenoise.bandcamp.com