People who deeply regretted quitting their band?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

jens
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: People who deeply regretted quitting their band?

Post by jens »

Greg Lake (Emerson, Lake & Palmer) and Ian McDonald (Foreigner) did pretty good after leaving King Crimson.
CoreyRotic007
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by CoreyRotic007 »

There was a dude named Jamie Kelly who left New Kids on the Block in 1984 because it was cutting into his social life. In came Joe McIntyre.

Must have sucked for him to sit back and watch while his school buddies became multi-multi millionaires by their 21st birthdays.

Then to watch it again, his childhood friends becoming multimillionaires again before their 40th birthdays.

I’m sure he’s fine.
Resortin' to violence since '77
alleyrulez
Platinum Artist

Post by alleyrulez »

Roth, even if he'll never admit it.
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by HueyRamone »

jens wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:00 am Greg Lake (Emerson, Lake & Palmer) and Ian McDonald (Foreigner) did pretty good after leaving King Crimson.
Yeah, but Ian deeply regretted being sacked from Foreigner.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
jens

Post by jens »

HueyRamone wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:24 pm
jens wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:00 am Greg Lake (Emerson, Lake & Palmer) and Ian McDonald (Foreigner) did pretty good after leaving King Crimson.
Yeah, but Ian deeply regretted being sacked from Foreigner.
Must be exhausting to have a guy in the band who's always nagging to have a flute solo, or one of his other stupid instruments.
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

alleyrulez wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:24 pm Roth, even if he'll never admit it.
1984? Not so sure, as he left a band that was more or less dysfunctional and he moved on to put together his dream band and had a couple of successful tours and full creative freedom.

The 2nd time, after the 1996 MTV Awards debacle is a different story as he had recently watched YFLM bomb and played to 30 people in Vegas in the winter so his career was crashing and burning and he seemed lost in the mid 90s. But then he did not quit, he was fired or was never "back in the band" if you believe Ed, he was just back for that event and to record a couple of new songs.
Ziggy Sawdust
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

Hellsinkey wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:59 am
Ziggy Sawdust wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:07 am Brian Jones? was actually fired because of fuckery with jagger and Richard’s, drugs.
What's the story on this? I haven't heard this before.
Jones and Richard went to Morocco and Keith ultimately stole his girlfriend who was allegedly in an abusive relationship with Jones. Brian spiralled into taking more drink and drugs and taking downers, not turning up for recording sessions, or not being allowed in as things got more acrimonious. Mick obviously sided with Keith. They ended up driving down to Brian’s estate with Charlie Watts and told him he was fired.
Hell'sHungryChild wrote:
I have no desire to pay $150 to see an ant sized Ac/Dc and drink $12 beer cups.
Ziggy Sawdust

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

There is a story here about the possible murder theory:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/0 ... stigation/
Hell'sHungryChild wrote:
Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

Post by Jason Jennifer Leigh »

Sambora
roxxtar5150
Pimping Your Demo At Shows

Post by roxxtar5150 »

Jason Jennifer Leigh wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:54 am Sambora
Came here to say exacly that. For the first couple years, my guess is that he was happy to have bailed. My further guess is that he thought that the wheels would fall off completely without him. But even pre-RRHOF he has portrayed himself as someone who desperatly wants to be back in the band, but wants them to ask him.
It's not that I'm lazy.....it's that I don't care.
alleyrulez
Platinum Artist

Post by alleyrulez »

Love_Industry wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:31 am
1984? Not so sure, as he left a band that was more or less dysfunctional and he moved on to put together his dream band and had a couple of successful tours and full creative freedom.
obviously he didn't regret it in 1984, but you can bet yer ass that he was having seconds thoughts in 1994 when "Your Filthy Little Mouth" didn't sell and he was forced to play smaller venues.

Van Halen's "Balance", on the other hand, went triple platinum, a year later.
gtrjay

Post by gtrjay »

Sambora and Roth are the big names here that seem obvious.

I am wondering if Matt Kramer did regret leaving Saigon Kick. After last months social media meltdown maybe not.

Also the following.

Vince Neil - depending whose side you believe

Kenny Olson - main guitar of kid rock. Moved to traverse city in northern Michigan and played local bar there with a few singers.

Does Perry regret quitting firehouse ?
I’m completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. These two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin - Modern Philosopher
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

Ziggy Sawdust wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:33 am
Hellsinkey wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:59 am
Ziggy Sawdust wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:07 am Brian Jones? was actually fired because of fuckery with jagger and Richard’s, drugs.
What's the story on this? I haven't heard this before.
Jones and Richard went to Morocco and Keith ultimately stole his girlfriend who was allegedly in an abusive relationship with Jones. Brian spiralled into taking more drink and drugs and taking downers, not turning up for recording sessions, or not being allowed in as things got more acrimonious. Mick obviously sided with Keith. They ended up driving down to Brian’s estate with Charlie Watts and told him he was fired.
Ok, that I knew. I thought you meant fuckery with Jagger's and Richard’s drugs. But there was a comma. :lol:
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

SW wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:40 pm
KosmoKramer wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:30 pm Matt Smith formerly of Poison?

"By 1985, guitarist Smith was rapidly becoming disillusioned with Poison, as he was about to become a father and was growing doubtful of the band's chances of success. He subsequently left the band and returned home to Pennsylvania, leaving Poison's future very much in doubt." -- Wikipedia
Well C.C. brought the songwriting so I highly doubt nothing would've happened to Poison with Smith. They had Rock like a Rocker written tho so I might be wrong...
That's always the problem with this question, with rare exceptions there's always the "What if" scenarios where there's a good chance the band in question wouldn't have achieved much success with that person in the band, so it doesn't matter anyway.

At the very least, whether it's true or not, I'm sure it's a pretty good coping mechanism for some of these guys to tell themselves "well, they wouldn't have made it with me around anyway".
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

aznsquirt wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:10 pm
That's always the problem with this question, with rare exceptions there's always the "What if" scenarios where there's a good chance the band in question wouldn't have achieved much success with that person in the band, so it doesn't matter anyway.
Exactly. Pantera with Terry Glaze would never get anywhere, even with Anselmo they had to reengineer the band's image and music to get signed. Matt Fallon was in Skid Row and Anthrax but there's a reason his career went nowhere. He wasn't awful from what I've seen but just a generic hard rock frontman while the guys replacing him were personalities and had stage presence. Yeah, Belladonna too.

I'd go as far as saying that Maiden and AC/DC wouldn't be as huge as they became with Paul and Bon. They are fan favorites, sure, but Brian and Bruce are more accessible for the masses, both voice and stage performance. Also they were more stable and reliable which enabled the bands to focus and work harder.

Maybe apocryphal but I have read that Mutt and their label Atlantic wanted to get rid of Bon either before or after recording HTH as they thought his voice and image would put off US media and fans of the time.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

alleyrulez wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:39 pm
Love_Industry wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:31 am
obviously he didn't regret it in 1984, but you can bet yer ass that he was having seconds thoughts in 1994 when "Your Filthy Little Mouth" didn't sell and he was forced to play smaller venues.

Van Halen's "Balance", on the other hand, went triple platinum, a year later.
And another year later Van Hagar was done and the bros. were in the studio with Dave.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
GoodJudge

Post by GoodJudge »

You ever seen the Hugh Grant film About A Boy? He plays a guy who was able to retire young on the proceeds of a massive Xmas hit single. I read a newspaper article at the time which asked if anyone had actually been able to do that. A few days later there was a published letter from Greg Lake, from his Swiss mansion, which just said "Yes. Me."
parasite74
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by parasite74 »

DangerZone wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:07 am Can’t believe Peter criss hasn’t been named
At think point I think Peter is pretty happy and content with his life. He is happy with his wife.. His house in south Jersey is worth well over a million dollars in very nice private gated communitie and probalby has plenty of $$$$ in the bank. Enough to live comfortably the rest of his life. If he needs some xtra $$$$ he does a few autograph shows a year to pay for his overhead plus sock the rest away. I think he is more at peace with life than Paul or Ace will ever be.
parasite74
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by parasite74 »

DangerZone wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:07 am Can’t believe Peter criss hasn’t been named
At this point I think Peter is pretty happy and content with his life. He is happy with his wife.. His house in south Jersey is worth well over a million dollars in very nice private gated communitie and probalby has plenty of $$$$ in the bank. Enough to live comfortably the rest of his life. If he needs some xtra $$$$ he does a few autograph shows a year to pay for his overhead plus sock the rest away. I think he is more at peace with life than Paul or Ace will ever be.
tooth
Recording Debut Album

Post by tooth »

Did Peter Hook quit or get fired from New Order? Same question re: Alan Wilder from Depeche Mode.
I would imagine both those guys would rather be back on the big stage.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

tooth wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:56 am Did Peter Hook quit or get fired from New Order? Same question re: Alan Wilder from Depeche Mode.
Wilder left Depeche Mode and while he would like to be more successful in music, I doubt he would want to be back with Depeche.
Some 10 years ago I was at an event with Wilder and during the interview he described the band as dysfunctional and said some sarcastic things about the others and especially Fletch and his lack of musical ability.
Borges
Opening Act in Local Bars

Post by Borges »

Didn't Simon Wright quit AC/DC and was happy to jump ship to Dio? He missed The Razors Edge album and tour cycle, both much bigger and more succesful that the years he was in the band
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

Love_Industry wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:01 pm
tooth wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:56 am Did Peter Hook quit or get fired from New Order? Same question re: Alan Wilder from Depeche Mode.
Wilder left Depeche Mode and while he would like to be more successful in music, I doubt he would want to be back with Depeche.
Some 10 years ago I was at an event with Wilder and during the interview he described the band as dysfunctional and said some sarcastic things about the others and especially Fletch and his lack of musical ability.
Wilder's problem was that Fletcher was making the same amount of money as him. Wilder was involved in production and arranging and played live, when Fletcher did pretty much nothing.
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:08 am I think Ace likes the money and notoriety of being in KISS more than actually being in KISS.
All Race wanted was the money for the booze and drugs.
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

Ozzy Stradlin wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:31 am
That’s because he was fired.
1980 - fired

2000 - contract not renewed

2004 - contract not renewed
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

DangerZone wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:00 pm
Oh, I thought he quit to go be the next Michael McDonald after his solo record sold like hotcakes
In 1980, KISS and Peter Criss gave the reason for his departure as being going solo, not that he was fired.

His solo lp sold the least amount of copies.
Ziggy Sawdust

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

Seemed a no brainier to get Wilder back after Fletch died, but a lot of these guys can’t forgive and forget it would seem.
Hell'sHungryChild wrote:
Don't Damn Me
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Don't Damn Me »

None more so than Mike Portnoy, I think.
He wanted that hip A7X gig so bad, he announced he was leaving Dream Theater for them.

Then A7X were like, whoa, awkward! We do not plan on making you our permanent drummer.

I get where Portnoy was coming from. A7X were really big at a time and they actually had a large female following. He probably didn't realize it was possible to play for an audience other than those with beer bellies and thinning hair.
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

risingfarce wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:54 am
DangerZone wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:00 pm

Oh, I thought he quit to go be the next Michael McDonald after his solo record sold like hotcakes
In 1980, KISS and Peter Criss gave the reason for his departure as being going solo, not that he was fired.

His solo lp sold the least amount of copies.
read it & weep, oz

maybe it didn’t sell the most but it sure as heck should have - as a pre-teen Kiss fan, ‘that’s the kinda sugar papa likes’ was just the thing I was wanting to hear
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

This. Add Ace Frehley, and Michael Schenker. Schenk seems to think he made his brother’s band

Ace is a dipstick.