Rock Hall of Fame 2024 nominees announced

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: Rock Hall of Fame 2024 nominees announced

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Turner Coates wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:10 am
Tymaster wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:48 am Is Ozzy solo really HOF worthy?
He's no Sade, but I guess some of his music could be considered to be, "rock."
And/or "roll".
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Tymaster
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tymaster »

HoldenSSV wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:05 pm
Tymaster wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:09 am Is there a more generic, bland, and soulless rock band than Foreigner? Also, who would perform if they somehow got in? (They won't.)
*9 Top-10 singles
*First four albums at least 5X platinum, the fifth was 3X and the sixth was 1X.

That's HOF-worthy in my book. Certainly more than some of the shit bands and acts that are already in.
Is sales the only metric? I thought "influence" and "innovation" were two biggies. I've never read an interview where someone said "Yeah, I was sitting around and Head Games came on the turntable and it just changed my life!" And I just don't find much innovative in "Hot Blooded."
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

Solo Ozzy just seems like a lazy, token "metal" pick. About as deserving as Non-makeup KISS or drug free Aerosmith. I'd say solo Alice is more deserving but I doubt the Rock Hall even knows there is a difference.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
whiteowl yesterday
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

alleyrulez wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:34 pm hope Ozzy and Foreigner get in.

as for Sade, I recall reading a James Hetfield interview back in the day where he says he loves the "Diamond Life" album.

great album.
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"
Wednesday 13 Fan
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Wednesday 13 Fan »

Dyslexicheart wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:48 am Once again, rock and roll is a genre, not an "attitude". They need to change the name to the Popular Music Hall of Fame. There is obviously nothing "rock and roll" about Sade and the like. Nothing against their music.
It's been that way since the beginning, practically. Johnny Cash was inducted in 1992.
windycitycane
Taking Music Lessons

Post by windycitycane »

CrankerBait wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:37 am I'm curious as to why Bryan Adams hasn't gotten in yet? I know the Hall of Fame has been a bit of a joke for a long time, but that is a glaring omission.
Agreed.

And no Phil Collins? That’s ridiculous. He had more Top 40 hits than anyone else the entire decade of the 80s.
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

Just Lenny.
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by TooOldToCare »

It is laughable anyone cares about this anymore. It's meaningless. Unlike sports Hall of Fame, it doesn't mean they were the best of the best or changed the game. It's like a beauty pageant. I visited the RRHOF once in the 40+ years I've lived in Ohio and was underwhelmed. It isn't like I will get all the Sade stuff I can find because she may get inducted. Was she talented? Yeah, I guess so. So what?
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Tymaster wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:44 am
Solo Ozzy just seems like a lazy, token "metal" pick. About as deserving as Non-makeup KISS or drug free Aerosmith. I'd say solo Alice is more deserving but I doubt the Rock Hall even knows there is a difference.
You can't post here and say that with a straight face. Anyone who was a metal fan when those 1st two records came out knows their value and influence. Solo Alice was like one good record then he slipped into alcohol and drug hell.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Rocker4Real
Opening Act in Local Bars

Post by Rocker4Real »

The Ozzy solo albums with Randy influenced a generation of guitarists and they passed that on to their students.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

windycitycane wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:10 am
CrankerBait wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:37 am I'm curious as to why Bryan Adams hasn't gotten in yet? I know the Hall of Fame has been a bit of a joke for a long time, but that is a glaring omission.
Agreed.

And no Phil Collins? That’s ridiculous. He had more Top 40 hits than anyone else the entire decade of the 80s.
Two cases where the Halls gatekeepers are right. Bryan Adams had one great record and a bunch of wussy ballads, and outside of In the Air Tonight Phil Collins' music is dogshit.
HoldenSSV
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by HoldenSSV »

TooOldToCare wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:31 am Unlike sports Hall of Fame, it doesn't mean they were the best of the best or changed the game. It's like a beauty pageant.
Maybe, but even the Pro Sports Halls of Fame are already "Halls Of Pretty Good". Harold Baines? Kirby Puckett? Joe Namath? Yes, Namath. His career stats are fucking atrocious.
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

I'll give ya Baines, but Puckett was a great player whose career was cut short by injury, and so was Namath. That 4007 yards single-season record stood for a long time, and he did it in 14 games.

Afa Sade, that'd be like putting Namath in Cooperstown. She was not a rock musician in any sense of the word.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:39 am
Agreed.

Two cases where the Halls gatekeepers are right. Bryan Adams had one great record and a bunch of wussy ballads, and outside of In the Air Tonight Phil Collins' music is dogshit.

Phil Collins was the most ubiquitous voice on the radio in the '80s. (He also did some groundbreaking stuff combining real and programmed drums.) He's the most glaring omission in my book.

I wouldn't call Ozzy a token metal pick. The No More Tears comeback seals the deal. During the No Rest for the Wicked era, he was lucky to be in the same conversation as KISS and Scorpions.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Tymaster? More like Trollmaster. Hit the pike boyo...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:39 am
Agreed.

Wrong. Phil Collins should get in for “Sussudio” alone. And those chart-topping ballads are most likely why Bryan Adams will one day get in, whether you like them or not.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
HoldenSSV

Post by HoldenSSV »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:26 am I'll give ya Baines, but Puckett was a great player whose career was cut short by injury, and so was Namath. That 4007 yards single-season record stood for a long time, and he did it in 14 games.
Namath for his career - 173 TDs/220 INTs, and a 50% completion percentage. Even for a "different era", that is fucking terrible.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Tymaster wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:39 am
Tymaster wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:09 am Is there a more generic, bland, and soulless rock band than Foreigner? Also, who would perform if they somehow got in? (They won't.)
*9 Top-10 singles

That's HOF-worthy in my book. Certainly more than some of the shit bands and acts that are already in.
Is sales the only metric? I thought "influence" and "innovation" were two biggies. I've never read an interview where someone said "Yeah, I was sitting around and Head Games came on the turntable and it just changed my life!" And I just don't find much innovative in "Hot Blooded."

Some of this is a time and place situation. Foreigner may seem unremarkable now, but they were huge at the time with a string of multi-platinum albums. They also bridged the rock sound of the '70s with the rock sound of the '80s.

Their legacy is a little weird. They had impressive staying power, until suddenly they didn't. (Almost like R.E.M.). They're also setting some sort of standard for having a scab lineup do a "farewell" tour, which in a sad way, may be the most influential thing they ever do.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

HoldenSSV wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:54 am
Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:26 am I'll give ya Baines, but Puckett was a great player whose career was cut short by injury, and so was Namath. That 4007 yards single-season record stood for a long time, and he did it in 14 games.
Namath for his career - 173 TDs/220 INTs, and a 50% completion percentage. Even for a "different era", that is fucking terrible.

#winner
Hootchietoad
Headlining Clubs

Post by Hootchietoad »

The only “slam dunk” on that list for me is Oasis. HUGE draw everywhere but the US/Canada. The face of an entire movement: Britpop. Basically what Nirvana is to grunge Oasis is to britpop. The Gallagher brothers are rock n roll through and through, and should have been inducted 5 years ago.

If/when they reunite there would be stadiums sold out throughout Europe and South America for multiple nights in each city.

Doesn’t matter if you like them or not (I love ‘em and their solo works), there is no question they should be included in any rock n roll hall of fame, especially when compared to some of the acts already inducted.
Image Image
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Nah, F those limeys. 2 good records and out, and they were more famous for fighting with each other on MTV than anything they sang. This is 'Murica. Next.
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

Psychobolia.com wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:48 am How did Ozzy get ignored every year since 2010?!

Can't wait for Sinéad's acceptance speech!
The pope will be giving her acceptance speech, then in revenge, he will rip up a photo of her.
windycitycane
Taking Music Lessons

Post by windycitycane »

HoldenSSV wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:11 am
TooOldToCare wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:31 am Unlike sports Hall of Fame, it doesn't mean they were the best of the best or changed the game. It's like a beauty pageant.
Maybe, but even the Pro Sports Halls of Fame are already "Halls Of Pretty Good". Harold Baines? Kirby Puckett? Joe Namath? Yes, Namath. His career stats are fucking atrocious.
Agreed on Joe Namath. He is in because of one quote, one game and because he played in NY.

Career statistics are not Hall of Fame.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:55 am
Tymaster wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:39 am
*9 Top-10 singles

Some of this is a time and place situation. Foreigner may seem unremarkable now, but they were huge at the time with a string of multi-platinum albums. They also bridged the rock sound of the '70s with the rock sound of the '80s.

Their legacy is a little weird. They had impressive staying power, until suddenly they didn't. (Almost like R.E.M.). They're also setting some sort of standard for having a scab lineup do a "farewell" tour, which in a sad way, may be the most influential thing they ever do.
They were fading by the last album with Lou even with the hit singles, the albums kept slipping in sales numbers. And the singles were steadily getting more Adult Contemporary. Even with Lou, Unusual Heat would've been doomed. REO saw the same fate. What was the "Earth, Dog, and Chicken" or whatever album? Styx would've had this happen if they didn't implode. Journey, looking back, were smart to fade off after ROR. It wasn't as good as Frontiers wasn't as good as Escape a Journey album in 88 or 89 would've probably been a letdown.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

TooOldToCare wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:31 am It is laughable anyone cares about this anymore. It's meaningless. Unlike sports Hall of Fame, it doesn't mean they were the best of the best or changed the game. It's like a beauty pageant. I visited the RRHOF once in the 40+ years I've lived in Ohio and was underwhelmed. It isn't like I will get all the Sade stuff I can find because she may get inducted. Was she talented? Yeah, I guess so. So what?
It's fun fodder for debates and it's a nice thing to have in NEO. Definitely not worth getting all Eddie Trunked about it but it's also a fun way to spend an afternoon.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Agree w/ above, Foreigner was widely derided as corporate rock when they formed and they only got softer as time went on. BadCo should get in before they do.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:42 am Agree w/ above, Foreigner was widely derided as corporate rock when they formed and they only got softer as time went on. BadCo should get in before they do.
I don't "hate" Foreigner, I just think the Hall Should be reserved for something a little more..."remarkable." Say, a Warren Zevon or Motorhead. Someone or something that really made a difference. The only "reasons" I hear for Foreigner getting in keep being "they sold a shit ton of records in the 1970s" and "they hid a shit ton of hits in the 1980s." That still doesn't cover innovation or influence.
HoldenSSV

Post by HoldenSSV »

Tymaster wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:54 am
Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:42 am Agree w/ above, Foreigner was widely derided as corporate rock when they formed and they only got softer as time went on. BadCo should get in before they do.
I don't "hate" Foreigner, I just think the Hall Should be reserved for something a little more..."remarkable." Say, a Warren Zevon or Motorhead. Someone or something that really made a difference. The only "reasons" I hear for Foreigner getting in keep being "they sold a shit ton of records in the 1970s" and "they hid a shit ton of hits in the 1980s." That still doesn't cover innovation or influence.
I understand, but Zevon isn't much of an "innovator" or "influencer" either, except for one gimmick song. Strong songwriter, but it seems like he always got lost in the shuffle.

Bad Company? GTFOH. (And I like them a lot.) They couldn't even be honest when they named their Greatest Hits. It's 10 from 5, and 2 of them are filler.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

No mention of INXS yet?
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by HueyRamone »

HoldenSSV wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:54 am
Anderson Silva's career doesnt look that remarkable in it's totality (ending in 1-7 and a NC, and losing to an idiot tiktok star), but no one would think he isnt HOF worthy, he was long thought of as the GOAT.

Joe could get in for the AFC superbowl upset alone.

Sex Pistols are in and Foreigner arent,- its not all about stats, even in sports, I think.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?