Do KISS feel inferior as Musicians?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Stinky McFister
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Do KISS feel inferior as Musicians?

Post by Stinky McFister »

The Dolly Parton CD my wife won't stop playing made me think....

Rarely have Kiss collaborated on music or jammed live with anyone right? Do they feel awkward or are they inferior musicians?

Do they only know how to play Dr Love and Strutter? :shock:
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: Do KISS feel inferior as Musicians?

Post by HueyRamone »

A pick playing bassist wouldnt play with fingers in videos if he didn’t feel inferior.

A lip synching idiot wouldnt caterwaul into the mic between songs if he didn’t feel inferior.

In that KISS alive forever book, some band in the earlyish days let kiss stay with them and jammed with them. They were amazed Paul couldn’t do anything but play his own songs
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

HueyRamone wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:47 pm A pick playing bassist wouldnt play with fingers in videos if he didn’t feel inferior.

A lip synching idiot wouldn't caterwaul into the mic between songs if he didn’t feel inferior.
A truly confident person wouldn't make that KISSY face nearly every time he sees a camera if he didn't feel inferior.
Stuff like that is intended to compensate for lack of musical ability and self image problems.

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

I like all the at-home guitar nerds who think they're better musicians than KISS because they practice scales really, really hard on their couch.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Fat_Elvis
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Fat_Elvis »

I'm sure this question keeps them up at night as they sleep on a pillow stuffed with cash in their mansions.
Velvis
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Velvis »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:06 pm I like all the at-home guitar nerds who think they're better musicians than KISS because they practice scales really, really hard on their couch.
Well, they probably are. But I don't think anyone other than those people shining a light on it, give a shit. Least of all the guys in KISS.
Whatever Happened To…
Headlining Clubs

Post by Whatever Happened To… »

Question should be "Do KISS feel inferior to musicians"
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:06 pm I like all the at-home guitar nerds who think they're better musicians than KISS because they practice scales really, really hard on their couch.
I like the players and techs here who don't pretend KISS are great players.
Many of them make/made their livings in the music industry, and know shit from Shinola.
Last edited by Turner Coates on Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

I would say Gene is a better bassist than most 80s Rock bassists. It doesn't matter as much for the style they play. They aren't Dream Theater.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

Post by Jason Jennifer Leigh »

They wanted to be rockstars not musicians.

Gene has had some tasty baselines over the years.
mrspeedgene
Headlining Clubs

Post by mrspeedgene »

PETER > Thinks he is better than he is.

ACE > Doesn't understand why he is so influencial

PAUL > Knows he is inferior and is butthurt

GENE > A really good player who doesn't give 2 fucks. what anyone else thinks.
They laughed at their gods
And fought them in vain
So he turned his
back on them
And left them in pain
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

Jason Jennifer Leigh wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:14 am They wanted to be rockstars not musicians.

Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

I lived in Chicago in the mid '90s and had a gig delivering sandwiches for Jimmy John's. The manager went to high school with Billy Corgan and couldn't understand why the Smashing Pumpkins were popular, especially since this dude could "play so much better" than those guys.

He was clueless, like a few people on this board, in understanding that it's not about how much you know, but how you choose to use it.

I'll take the "Cold Gin" riff over whatever Dead & Company is doing. I don't care if a 5-year-old can play it or not.

skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

Feeling inferior requires self-awareness.

Only Gene seems to have any of that, he’s a decent musician, I’m guessing he doesn’t collaborate because he admits money is his only motivation and the price has never been right for him to bother and he admittedly doesn’t have friends.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
kytepunches
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by kytepunches »

If they didn’t , there would have been no need for ghost players on most of their albums.
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

mrspeedgene wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:58 am PETER > Thinks he is better than he is.

Eddie Kramer said that Ace was the best musician in the band.
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

Dyslexicheart wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:54 am
mrspeedgene wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:58 am PETER > Thinks he is better than he is.

Kramer produced their early demo and some mid '70s albums. At that time it may have been true but he peaked on his 78 solo album.
Paul was inferior on guitar when they started out, but improved and he was also the best songwriter in the band and, in the 80s and 90s, best singer. And he knew it.

The descriptions of Gene and Peter are spot on. Gene only cares when his career or finances are hurting, and Peter probably still doesn't understand why Let Me Rock You didn't go multi platinum.

There are some rumblings about Gene solo shows in Europe in July by the way, I saw two proposed dates today.
skatexedge
Headlining Clubs

Post by skatexedge »

Kiss wanted to be famous, millionaire rockstar’s getting laid every night. That was the main goal from the start.

They did that and then some.

They win.
Wednesday 13 Fan
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Wednesday 13 Fan »

Why would they care? There's no money in it.
Wednesday 13 Fan
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Wednesday 13 Fan »

It's not like their music is overly complicated. Based on what they've recorded, it isn't really a stretch to think there are thousands of hobbyists that are better/think they're better.

But of course, in popular music that doesn't mean a thing. It's what you are able to do with that ability that matters.
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

Love_Industry wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:46 am
Dyslexicheart wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:54 am

Kramer produced their early demo and some mid '70s albums. At that time it may have been true but he peaked on his 78 solo album.

Paul was inferior on guitar when they started out, but improved and he was also the best songwriter in the band and, in the 80s and 90s, best singer. And he knew it.

Kramer produced Alive!, Rock 'n' Roll Over, Love Gun, Alive II and the '78 Ace albums, so he knew what he was talking about - that's prime Kiss. I'm not interested in the Simmons/Stanley band from '79 onwards - it's not real Kiss IMO.
Metal Heart
Taking Music Lessons

Post by Metal Heart »

I don't believe anyone in KISS even think about it. But if they do, they probably think very highly of themselves. After their long and lucrative career, I can't see them being bummed out they weren't in Steely Dan. People talk about superior musicianship or who is better. To me it comes down to winners and losers. Some rando GIT grad can play circles around Ace Frehley. But nobody knows the GIT guy. Nobody buys his music. Nobody pays to see him play. There are no posters of GIT guy on anyone's wall. Yeah I know a few have gotten famous, but it is a tiny percentage of GIT grads. I would rather have Stanley's career than that of future guitar teacher / Guitar Center salesman GIT grad.

Most rock people are not virtuosos on their instruments. Look at Motley, GNR, ACDC, etc. However, unlike the guitar nerd who can solo in the Byzantine Scale, they are able to write songs people want to listen to. Songs people will buy. Which means people also will buy a ticket to see them play the song. Byzantine Scale guy can't do that. You can be the greatest guitar player of all time, but if you can't produce a song that people find interesting, what good is it? KISS are winners. Winners in life. Winners in the music business. There is no denying that.

The other day on here someone asked for opinions of Queensryche guitarist Michael Wilton. One responder bashed Wilton as only playing pentatonic scales and basically called him a shit guitarist. LOL. Wilton has had a long, Grammy nominated career and has sold 20 million albums. Meanwhile what has the Wilton detractor done with his life? Has he sold 1 album? It is ridiculous. Wilton is also a winner.
"Life sucks, but in a beautiful kind of way." - Axl Rose
Tommy2Tone84
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Well done :lol: