KETTLE BLACK ... Mudvayne singer bags on bands who RELY on tracks, as he RELIES on a costume? #bitchpleez

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

KETTLE BLACK ... Mudvayne singer bags on bands who RELY on tracks, as he RELIES on a costume? #bitchpleez

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

Eat my ball bag...

These ass-hats going on and on about tracks... "That's not real music" blah, blah, blah...

Okay... and dressing up like a trick or treater in your 50's is real music?

This guy also lacks any vocabulary... how many times did he use the F word in this piece?

--------------------------------------------------------

MUDVAYNE's CHAD GRAY Rips Artists Who Rely Heavily On Backing Tracks During Live Shows: 'Great Bands Never Did That S**t'

In a new interview with Australia's The Underground, MUDVAYNE and HELLYEAH frontman Chad Gray once again lamented the lack of new bands who have their own musical identity as well as the growing number of artists who rely heavily on backing tracks during their live performances. He said in part (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET): "Even more than bands sounding like other fucking bands, the thing I'm fucking over is bands that don't fucking play their music. I'm fucking over that shit. These motherfuckers that roll so much track, it's, like, dude, when Ashlee Simpson — you remember that — when she was on 'Saturday Night Live', and they fucked up, and her drummer hit the fucking wrong song, it was straight-up lip syncing. That girl got fucking lambasted; she was murdered for that shit. Dude, now that's what people do. They just don't wanna say it. It's, like, motherfucker, you are Ashlee Simpson — you are Ashlee Simpson. If you cannot get on stage and play your shit without a fucking laptop, you are relying way too much on that fucking laptop. You are telling me that you cannot play your music without a piece of electronic equipment. And if you're gonna talk about electronic equipment, it better be a fucking keyboard or a guitar or something electronic, not a fucking computer that has fucking track upon track upon track, fucking guitars stacked, bass stacked, vocals stacked, singing to fucking tracks of your own lead vocal. Like, dude, if I fucking piped my own lead vocal into my ears, I would sing perfect. Or if I got to sing along to a track of my own vocals, like a couple tracks of it, and my vocal could be pulled back and I just kind of sat in the back of it, dude, I'd be incredible. But I don't do that. I don't believe in that shit.

"I was inspired by fucking great bands. And great bands never did that shit," he continued. "And I wanna carry that on. And you know what? If you don't fucking care that people are doing it, guess what — they're gonna do it and then they're gonna do more of it and then they're gonna do more and more and more. And the next thing you know, you're gonna be paying too much money for a fucking overpriced fucking concert ticket and you're gonna walk in there and you're gonna listen to these motherfuckers dancing around on stage, lip syncing to their fucking albums. 'Cause they don't have the skills to play it. I'm telling you that I'm going back and playing guitar again. I'm learning all this shit, I'm sitting and I'm fucking playing it and I'm bashing my head off the fucking table like, 'Fuck, this is so fucking hard. Fuck!' But I keep doing it and I keep doing it and I keep doing it, and I'm getting better and better and better.

"I just don't think people wanna practice anymore," Gray theorized. "I think all people wanna do is get in the music business and be fucking successful. There's more to being in the music business than being successful. You get in the music business because you want to be honest. You wanna be vulnerable. You wanna share that part of you with someone else. You wanna fucking give them a part of you that can't be seen unless you put it to music. There's a part of me that the world knows and they know about me because I share things within my music. I wouldn't be able to share those things without my music. I wouldn't just walk around and go, 'Man, my whole fucking life, my dad neglected me, my dad beat the fuck out of me. My dad beat the fuck out of my mom, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. I wouldn't just walk around and say that shit, but I can tell that story in my music, and I can remind people if you listen to this and it sounds familiar, you're not alone. That's one of my biggest messages, man, is to fucking remind people, man, that they're not alone in this fucking crazy-ass fucking world, that we're all in this shit together. And you fucking lean on me, I'll lean back on you, and we're gonna get through it. I wanna be the guy that motivates people and lifts people up. I don't wanna be the guy that tears people down. I know it sounds weird coming from a guy that just said, fuck these people that can't fucking do this, fuck these people that sound like that. But I'm very honest. I'm very honest in who and what I am. And it frustrates me. It makes me very, very fuckin frustrated because I play in, what I believe, two bands that didn't sound like anybody else. We sounded like ourselves. MUDVAYNE and HELLYEAH. We prided ourselves on that. But it's not easy. It's fuckin hard work. You've gotta create your own sound. Dude, that's like fucking reinventing yourself. It's hard. I did it twice — I did it fucking twice in two different bands. So it's a hard job, but you've gotta do the work. You've gotta do the work to see the result. It's, like, 'I don't know why I'm fat. I've got a gym membership.' 'Well, do you ever go to the gym?' 'No.' 'Well, you're not doing the work. You're not doing the work, so you're not gonna get skinny. You're not doing the work, so you're not gonna get fit.' You can't just buy a fucking membership. That's what this fucking music business is now — motherfuckers are just buying memberships and they're just walking in going, 'Hey, I'm ready to be successful. Yeah, I've got all my fucking shit over here on tape. I'm gonna get on stage, but I'm not gonna perform it for you. I'm gonna play it, though. We're gonna hit 'play', we're gonna hit 'play' on the machine and it's gonna play it. We're gonna dance around and I'm gonna kind of sing to it, but I'm gonna be singing to a backing track of my own fucking vocal.'"

Gray added: "Dude, it's crazy the amount of people that do that shit now. And people just let it go. Apparently it's acceptable now. Like, motherfucker, people. Goddamn. You've gotta hold people accountable. You're just telling me I can just walk in and fucking hit 'play'? You're not making me wanna work very fucking hard, and if you don't want me to work hard, that's exactly what you're gonna get — some shit that sounds like they didn't work hard to make it. Just like some fucking vanilla bullshit, man. It's crazy to me. I don't know. Maybe I'm just old and angry and pissed off."

MUDVAYNE hasn't put out any new material since 2009, which means it's been a decade and a half without a single fresh MUDVAYNE song.

Last August, Chad told The Oakland Press that he and his MUDVAYNE bandmates had "four [songs] in the pipe. I've written each one of them probably three different times, 'cause it's like nothing's good enough," he revealed. "We're gonna keep pushing. We're all getting along really good. We're all talking. Hopefully we all want the same thing from our music, so we'll see. It's definitely the thing that makes the most sense to do now."

MUDVAYNE kicked off its first headlining tour in over 14 years, "The Psychotherapy Sessions", in July 2023. Support on the 26-city trek, which was produced by Live Nation, came from COAL CHAMBER, along with GWAR, NONPOINT and BUTCHER BABIES.

Previously, MUDVAYNE made waves in 2022 when they embarked on the "Freaks On Parade" tour co-headlined with ROB ZOMBIE. This 2023 tour, however, marked MUDVAYNE's first headlining endeavor since 2009.

MUDVAYNE formed in 1996 and has sold over six million records worldwide, earning gold certification for three albums ("L.D. 50", "The End Of All Things To Come", "Lost And Found"). The band is known for its sonic experimentation, innovative album art, face and body paint, masks and uniforms. MUDVAYNE is Gray, Greg Tribbett (guitar, backing vocals),Matthew McDonough (drums, synthesizer) and Ryan Martinie (bass).

Gray spent 18 years fronting HELLYEAH, which released its sixth studio album, "Welcome Home", in September 2019 via Eleven Seven Music. The disc marked the group's final effort with drummer Vinnie Paul Abbott, who passed away almost six years ago.

MUDVAYNE did not tour behind its fifth album, which was barely promoted and sold weakly upon release.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvi24ff ... =emb_title

> https://blabbermouth.net/news/mudvaynes ... id-that-st

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$tEvil
Nobodyspecial
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Re: KETTLE BLACK ... Mudvayne singer bags on bands who RELY on tracks, as he RELIES on a costume? #bitchpleez

Post by Nobodyspecial »

Makeup/masks/costumes are stupid and turn me off to a bands music. It's all been done and it's just a gimmick. KISS already did it as did Alice Cooper. Try working on crafting better songs and playing your instruments better.
ParaDime77
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: KETTLE BLACK ... Mudvayne singer bags on bands who RELY on tracks, as he RELIES on a costume? #bitchpleez

Post by ParaDime77 »

Costumes were always part of the Mudvayne gimmick. Being said, didn’t their tour struggle big time last Summer in the ticket sales category?
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
jens
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by jens »

What kind of bullshit comparison is that?

Also: think CEO insulting someones "costume" is a very "glass house" situation.
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

jens wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:02 am What kind of bullshit comparison is that?

""""""""""""""""What kind of bullshit comparison is that?"""""""""""""""""""

You tell me... why is relying on one thing lame, but the other is not?

""""""""""""""""Also: think CEO insulting someones "costume" is a very "glass house" situation."""""""""""""""""""

Right...

So... you are referring to my "costume"... at which time and point in my history?

When I was in my teens and early 20's... yes... there was plenty of that... but tell me now... where is the "costume" in the last 3+ decades? I'll wait.

These guys are dressing up nightly... in their 40's and 50's... and have been on-going. All good.. it's part of what they "rely" on to put on "their" show. Fair?

But... why is Falling In Reverse lame for relying on modern technology to put on "their" show?

If it's all about the music, which appears to be the Mudvayne singer's point... maybe they should go do a tour in jeans & t-shirts, like Metallica, Megadeth or Tesla... and we'll see how many of their core audience shows up, or accepts it.

$tEvil
Wednesday 13 Fan

Post by Wednesday 13 Fan »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:10 am

""""""""""""""""Also: think CEO insulting someones "costume" is a very "glass house" situation."""""""""""""""""""

Right...

So... you are referring to my "costume"... at which time and point in my history?

When I was in my teens and early 20's... yes... there was plenty of that... but tell me now... where is the "costume" in the last 3+ decades? I'll wait.

These guys are dressing up nightly... in their 40's and 50's... and have been on-going. All good.. it's part of what they "rely" on to put on "their" show. Fair?

But... why is Falling In Reverse lame for relying on modern technology to put on "their" show?

If it's all about the music, which appears to be the Mudvayne singer's point... maybe they should go do a tour in jeans & t-shirts, like Metallica, Megadeth or Tesla... and we'll see how many of their core audience shows up, or accepts it.

$tEvil
The jealousy you obviously have towards some of these bands is fucking sad.

And the costume people are referring to is the Bret Micheals costume you wore well into the 90s, probably even 2000s if you get picky about the wig-danna thing.
Vince Neil Eats
Lugging equipment around in parent's car

Post by Vince Neil Eats »

I don’t think this comparison holds much water. I’m not going to see bands because of the way they dress. I’m going to hear the songs. Appearance has no impact on the music. Tapes on the other hand….
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Someone's got a stick up their mud vein...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

I couldn’t care less if people use tracks or dress up.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

I guess I’m left wondering what constitutes a costume because makeup and significant hair alterations are part of most beloved Sludge bands.

My issue is if you present yourself as a professional singer or guitar player at a ‘live performance’ and you’re pretending to play live or getting so much help that it’s pretty much guaranteed the audience won’t hear any mistakes…I care a lot more about bands and professional performers relying on that and cheating their audience than relying on the fashion gimmicks that their audience already knows to expect.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
Tommy
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Tommy »

What a ridiculous comparison.
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:48 am I couldn’t care less if people use tracks or dress up.
Neither do I...

But apparently Chad Vayne does... which is why I pointed this out.

As for W13stalker above... it always amusing when the "jealousy" word comes up, along with the "Bret Michaels" comparison drivel.

Love it all... it makes me tick.

$tEvil :D
bentbrother
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by bentbrother »

Right...

$tEvil
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

bentbrother wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:15 am

Right...

$tEvil
Good one...

I applaud you!

$tEvil
Zabooka

Post by Zabooka »

I don't get the comparison either.

Eddie is a gimmick that Iron Maiden uses. Lots of bands dress up, use pyro and videos screens, and that's their gimmick. Strip away all that, and those bands can still play.

But if you strip away the backing tapes that carries the bulk of the weight, that band is dead in the water.
Hellbound
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Hellbound »

Vince Neil Eats wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:45 am I don’t think this comparison holds much water. I’m not going to see bands because of the way they dress. I’m going to hear the songs. Appearance has no impact on the music. Tapes on the other hand….
This all day.
PBFSUCKS

Post by PBFSUCKS »

Dumb post.

If the makeup roadcase doesn’t make it, the gig goes on. If the roadcase with the laptop doesn’t make it, show cancelled.
endstand

Post by endstand »

PBFSUCKS wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:12 pm Dumb post.

If the makeup roadcase doesn’t make it, the gig goes on. If the roadcase with the laptop doesn’t make it, show cancelled.
I’ve never understood this complaining about using pre-recorded stuff. I don’t understand what’s the issue is.

If you’re going to a club to enjoy a DJ set and the laptop crashes, then the show is cancelled too. Does that mean that the DJ sucks, since he / she can’t perform?

Pre-canned stuff is part of the ”instrumentation” as much as drums, possible mandatory guitar effects, synths and such. If important part of the performance is missing, isn’t it obvious that it’s kinda hard to make the show.
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

endstand wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:23 pm
PBFSUCKS wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:12 pm Dumb post.

I’ve never understood this complaining about using pre-recorded stuff. I don’t understand what’s the issue is.

If you’re going to a club to enjoy a DJ set and the laptop crashes, then the show is cancelled too. Does that mean that the DJ sucks, since he / she can’t perform?

Pre-canned stuff is part of the ”instrumentation” as much as drums, possible mandatory guitar effects, synths and such. If important part of the performance is missing, isn’t it obvious that it’s kinda hard to make the show.
Well, with rare exceptions, DJ's are the biggest fraud in the music business.

There is something to be said for seeing a guy sing or play a song for you. Having that singer hit that famous high note (or do his best) for you, that night, in that room full of people, is worth something IMO. Or seeing that guitar player play his famous guitar solo for YOU and everyone else in attendance is special.

I'm not completely against tracks, etc., but it's not as simple as "hey you're listening to the music, what's the big deal?"
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

you're comparing a gimmick that a band uses to set themselves apart (or fit in with a crowd) to musicians that that can't play live.

i think you've lost your mind. your brains must have fallen out with your flow.

chad might not be the most eloquent speaker but he nails the bullet points.
Spongie

Post by Spongie »

Chad Gray is his generation’s Tommy Lee… soul crushing embarrassing, and both clearly undiagnosed autistic and ADHD.