Slaughter Stick It To Ya amazing drum sound

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

MattleyCrue
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Slaughter Stick It To Ya amazing drum sound

Post by MattleyCrue »

The drums sound awesome on this!

Do you think so also?
LAglamrocker wrote:
Walk in Diesel store Melrose with Ashba gear commands respect, not sure you are allowed in with Walmart gear
Indy_Rob
Headlining a Theater Tour

Re: Slaughter Stick It To Ya amazing drum sound

Post by Indy_Rob »

Yes! But the rumor, at least here on Sludge, is that the whole album was recorded with a drum machine.
MattleyCrue

Post by MattleyCrue »

Indy_Rob wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:01 pm Yes! But the rumor, at least here on Sludge, is that the whole album was recorded with a drum machine.
Wow! I didn’t know that! Blas is an awesome drummer tho!
LAglamrocker wrote:
Walk in Diesel store Melrose with Ashba gear commands respect, not sure you are allowed in with Walmart gear
Indy_Rob
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Indy_Rob »

MattleyCrue wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:04 pm
Indy_Rob wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:01 pm Yes! But the rumor, at least here on Sludge, is that the whole album was recorded with a drum machine.
Wow! I didn’t know that! Blas is an awesome drummer tho!
Agreed! Great drummer. No idea why they might've made the drum machine decision (if it's even true).
War_in_D
Taking Music Lessons

Post by War_in_D »

The production took a major shit on the follow up.
blackedout85
Pimping Your Demo At Shows

Post by blackedout85 »

It was all programmed, but yes, the production on that album is amazing
MattleyCrue

Post by MattleyCrue »

So basically someone programmed all of the drums with a machine and there was no live playing?
LAglamrocker wrote:
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

If they are programmed, I'd like to know the machine or software they used. Was it BFD? That was a real popular one because even though it was programmed they were samples of real drums so it was the most lifelike.

Another studio trick is to have drum machine drums with real cymbals.

Regardless, Blas is an awesome drummer. The drums sound great on later albums too but much less polished. More organic and natural sounding drums.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

I got the impression Mark and Dana made the album first, then put the band together afterwards to tour.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
sirthx2
Doing 10 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by sirthx2 »

Yep, so good that even embarrassing songs like Burnin' Bridges beg to be cranked at top, ear-bleeding levels in the car. (liar liar liar with your pants on fire)

Speaking of 'fire', Firehouse's debut is same.
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
Tourettes
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by Tourettes »

Just listen to Kik Tracee's album No Rules that Dana produced and the drums sound magically the same.
MattleyCrue

Post by MattleyCrue »

Tourettes wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:14 pm
Just listen to Kik Tracee's album No Rules that Dana produced and the drums sound magically the same.
Oooo good call! Yes that do!
LAglamrocker wrote:
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

I always loved the production on this album, but the snare drum sound annoys the shit out of me.

I've never heard the programmed drums thing.

But, I'm looking at the credits for the album and I think I've cracked the case on why this album sounds so good:

Gerri Miller - Camera noises
dickdars
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by dickdars »

Two drum machines, slaved. One for kick/snare, the other for toms. Cymbals are live.
blackedout85
Pimping Your Demo At Shows

Post by blackedout85 »

Tourettes wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:14 pm
Good catch.
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Mister Freeze wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:24 pm I got the impression Mark and Dana made the album first, then put the band together afterwards to tour.
I've never really thought of this, but it makes sense that this could have been how it happened.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Fat_Elvis
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Fat_Elvis »

sirthx2 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:57 pm Speaking of 'fire', Firehouse's debut is same.
I've always loved the production/sound of those 1st two Firehouse albums!
AlexVonHaig

Post by AlexVonHaig »

sirthx2 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:57 pm Yep, so good that even embarrassing songs like Burnin' Bridges beg to be cranked at top, ear-bleeding levels in the car. (liar liar liar with your pants on fire)

Not embarrassing at all. Its biographical about the band with VV in it
MOON
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by MOON »

Interesting. I didn't know the drums were programmed on that album.. I knew that Def Leppard programmed all drums on Pyromania and Hysteria..

What other hard rock bands/albums had programmed drums??
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

sirthx2 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:57 pm Yep, so good that even embarrassing songs like Burnin' Bridges beg to be cranked at top, ear-bleeding levels in the car. (liar liar liar with your pants on fire)

speaking of ‘liar liar with your pants on fire,’ Kiss’ “when your walls come down” rocks!
jhenders
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by jhenders »

MOON wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:08 pm Interesting. I didn't know the drums were programmed on that album.. I knew that Def Leppard programmed all drums on Pyromania and Hysteria..

What other hard rock bands/albums had programmed drums??
Check out Kuni's "Looking For Action" - sounds a lot like Slaughter's drum sound since Dana Strum helped produce:

https://youtu.be/_A4oP48IaH4
Darrien
Headlining Clubs

Post by Darrien »

I've never heard this before, is this just a Sludge thing? lol.
I did A/B Kik Tracee with the Slaughter album; never noticed how identical the drums sound. I mean, it can just be his production style, or even the same kit being used in the studio. Having said that, neither drummers are doing anything too fancy to disprove it.
Dayman...fighter of the Nightman..
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

jhenders wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:21 am Check out Kuni's "Looking For Action" - sounds a lot like Slaughter's drum sound since Dana Strum helped produce:

Never even heard of this band! Just gave it a quick listen and it sounded a lot more like VVI than Slaughter. This one is a much more obvious Def Leppard "Adrenalize" type drum machine snare sound.

One other thing I noticed is that Slaughter, Kik Tracee and this were all recorded at Cherokee Studios as well.... and Dana produced them so it makes sense they would sound similar.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
Not Jack Bulter
Playing Frat Parties

Post by Not Jack Bulter »

Fat_Elvis wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:16 am
sirthx2 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:57 pm Speaking of 'fire', Firehouse's debut is same.
I believe Portnoy's drum sounds on Images and Words were using the same drum samples from the Firehouse debut. I've heard that anecdotally before. David Prater produced both, so I wouldn't be shocked if true.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

MOON wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:08 pm What other hard rock bands/albums had programmed drums??

I believe at least a few of the tracks on KISS' Hot in the Shade have drum programming. (I know people don't want to hear this, but "Forever" might be one of them.)

I was in the same studio that INXS recorded part of KICK at and the tech explained to me that the drums were programmed. There wasn't even a room large enough for a kit at this place.

I'm not a big Judas Priest fan, but I recall somebody on here once mentioning those big Painkiller drums were programmed.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
sirthx2
Doing 10 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by sirthx2 »

AlexVonHaig wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:31 pm

Not embarrassing at all. Its biographical about the band with VV in it
Just the lyric 'Liar Liar Liar with your pants on fire'. But yeah, if they're just being kinda funny with that lyric it gets a pass. Don't get me wrong, I crank the fucking hell out of it.
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
PBFSUCKS
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by PBFSUCKS »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:22 am
MOON wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:08 pm What other hard rock bands/albums had programmed drums??

I believe at least a few of the tracks on KISS' Hot in the Shade have drum programming. (I know people don't want to hear this, but "Forever" might be one of them.)

I was in the same studio that INXS recorded part of KICK at and the tech explained to me that the drums were programmed. There wasn't even a room large enough for a kit at this place.

I'm not a big Judas Priest fan, but I recall somebody on here once mentioning those big Painkiller drums were programmed.
Most of HITS by Kiss was demos….theres a video with Bruce Kulick where he discusses the album and which tracks Carr actually played on.
MattleyCrue

Post by MattleyCrue »

Not Jack Bulter wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:09 am
Fat_Elvis wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:16 am
I believe Portnoy's drum sounds on Images and Words were using the same drum samples from the Firehouse debut. I've heard that anecdotally before. David Prater produced both, so I wouldn't be shocked if true.
Wow. Just listened to it and I can kind of hear it. Firehouse is way better than Dream Theater!

So basically no real drum kit can make these cool drum sounds?
LAglamrocker wrote:
John Shaft
Saving Up For a Guitar

Post by John Shaft »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:48 am
jhenders wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:21 am Check out Kuni's "Looking For Action" - sounds a lot like Slaughter's drum sound since Dana Strum helped produce:

Never even heard of this band! Just gave it a quick listen and it sounded a lot more like VVI than Slaughter. This one is a much more obvious Def Leppard "Adrenalize" type drum machine snare sound.

One other thing I noticed is that Slaughter, Kik Tracee and this were all recorded at Cherokee Studios as well.... and Dana produced them so it makes sense they would sound similar.
That's because, not only was it produced by Dana Strum but, Dana and Bobby Rock provide the rhythm section on the entire album with backing vocals handled by Mark Slaughter, Jeff Scott Soto and (I believe) Michael Sweet. Essentially "All Systems Go" with a different guitarist.

This is such and underrated and lost gem of an album!
Who's The Man?
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

John Shaft wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:55 am
That's because, not only was it produced by Dana Strum but, Dana and Bobby Rock provide the rhythm section on the entire album with backing vocals handled by Mark Slaughter, Jeff Scott Soto and (I believe) Michael Sweet. Essentially "All Systems Go" with a different guitarist.

This is such and underrated and lost gem of an album!
Shame on me for not realizing that was JSS!!! One of my favorite singers. He sounds different in places..almost like he’s trying to sound like Mark Slaughter unless that actually is Mark I’m hearing.

Very interesting album!