What's your least favorite song by Canadian heartthrobs "RUSH"?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

What's your least favorite song by Canadian heartthrobs "RUSH"?

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

I'm watching A Show of Hands and man, I really don't like the song "Big Money."

It really has none of the qualities that made Rush great: It's repetitive, the lyrics are trite, it doesn't rock. Real high hoser factor, eh.

Up next: "Marathon." Now that's a song, lads.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
maninblack
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: What's your least favorite song by Canadian heartthrobs "RUSH"?

Post by maninblack »

Either La villa strangiato or the spirit of radio or limelight or red barchetta or natural science or entre nous or xanadu or a passage to bangkok or the camera eye or the trees or circumstances or hemispheres or subdivisions or analogue kid or tom sawyer or Jacobs ladder or different strings or emotion detector or distant early warning but my favourites by them change every day depending upon my mood.
maninblack
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by maninblack »

I know that it is predominantly females that flock to Rusg concerts mais I am one of the occasional males that used to go to their shows, and I am not gay.
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Gotta disagree here. "The Big Money" is a very good new wave rocker. Yeah, the lyrics are a bit repetitive, but ultimately nothing wrong with them. And that opening/post-third verse keyboard hook is just perfect.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
maninblack
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by maninblack »

I am stoned. I read the title as being what is your favourite song by them.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Massive Rush fan…

I HATE Mystic Rhythms.
Traxan
Headlining Clubs

Post by Traxan »

"Tai Shan." Even Neil said it's shit.
kytepunches
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by kytepunches »

Roll The Bones . Being a life long Rush fan , I got behind every musical change in direction. Until they released this turd burger. The rap part is unforgivably terrible.
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

maninblack wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:43 am Either La villa strangiato or the spirit of radio or limelight or red barchetta or natural science or entre nous or xanadu or a passage to bangkok or the camera eye or the trees or circumstances or hemispheres or subdivisions or analogue kid or tom sawyer or Jacobs ladder or different strings or emotion detector or distant early warning but my favourites by them change every day depending upon my mood.
La Villa Strangiato is one of their best songs. It's actually unbelievable how well played it is. Spirit of the Radio is fine, it started a new, modern period for Rush.
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

kytepunches wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:20 pm Roll The Bones . Being a life long Rush fan , I got behind every musical change in direction. Until they released this turd burger. The rap part is unforgivably terrible.
I kinda love "Roll the Bones." The rap is dorky, but it's Rush! Their music was usually so deadly serious, I like that they added some levity for once.

That said, I totally get not liking it. The lyrics sound like they were written by Joe Biden.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
kytepunches
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by kytepunches »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:34 pm
kytepunches wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:20 pm Roll The Bones . Being a life long Rush fan , I got behind every musical change in direction. Until they released this turd burger. The rap part is unforgivably terrible.
I kinda love "Roll the Bones." The rap is dorky, but it's Rush! Their music was usually so deadly serious, I like that they added some levity for once.

That said, I totally get not liking it. The lyrics sound like they were written by Joe Biden.
It felt too similar to Black or White by M.J. , it seemed like they were trying way too hard to sound current. IMO
Demon Kogure
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by Demon Kogure »

I stopped buying Rush albums after Signals, but my least favorite song from their first 8 albums is probably "I Think I'm Going Bald"
Ziggy Sawdust
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

I like all of em even Superconductor. I dislike some of the production on the albums like Test For Echo though. Love the 80’s stuff like Power Windows and Signals.
Hell'sHungryChild wrote:
I have no desire to pay $150 to see an ant sized Ac/Dc and drink $12 beer cups.
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Ziggy Sawdust wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:46 am I like all of em even Superconductor. I dislike some of the production on the albums like Test For Echo though. Love the 80’s stuff like Power Windows and Signals.
Pretty much my opinion as well. Rush never made a bad song for me, even if the production is kind of lacking on a couple of albums. And 80's new wave-era Rush is actually my favorite era of Rush.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
fret123
Headlining Clubs

Post by fret123 »

For me every Rush album was perfect up to and including Grace Under Pressure. After that the quality kept dropping until Counterparts, which was a good comeback. But even on all the less than stellar albums there was always at least a song or two that were classics. I couldn’t pick a least favourite song because there were a pile that I ranked all about the same for suckiness
HoldenSSV
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by HoldenSSV »

That one where Geddy's voice is whiny and annoying . . .
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:32 am I'm watching A Show of Hands and man, I really don't like the song "Big Money."

It really has none of the qualities that made Rush great: It's repetitive, the lyrics are trite, it doesn't rock. Real high hoser factor, eh.

Up next: "Marathon." Now that's a song, lads.
I was always too apathetic to bother with their bad songs. All I need is a tasty wave, a cool buzz, Chronicles
and I’m fine.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:32 am I'm watching A Show of Hands and man, I really don't like the song "Big Money."

It really has none of the qualities that made Rush great: It's repetitive, the lyrics are trite, it doesn't rock.
A pretty good choice. PW is one of my least favorite Rush albums by the way.

One Little Victory and A Far Cry are also not very good, and they were both chosen as first singles and album openers.
What were they thinking?
CrankerBait
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by CrankerBait »

Both have already been mentioned: "I Think I'm Going Bald" and "Roll the Bones". I saw the Roll the Bones tour and it was during the title track that I took a piss and got myself another beer. A lot of fans seemed to be doing the same.
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

Post by El Vampiro Blanco »

Only Rush song I listen to is Working Man.
I like that one.
All other songs I've tried listening to didn't do anything for me...
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

CrankerBait wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:17 am Both have already been mentioned: "I Think I'm Going Bald" and "Roll the Bones". I saw the Roll the Bones tour and it was during the title track that I took a piss and got myself another beer. A lot of fans seemed to be doing the same.
What's wrong with the RTB title track? Other than the short pseudo-rap section it sounds like most other 90s Rush songs, and a pretty good one IMO.
CrankerBait

Post by CrankerBait »

Love_Industry wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:07 am
CrankerBait wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:17 am Both have already been mentioned: "I Think I'm Going Bald" and "Roll the Bones". I saw the Roll the Bones tour and it was during the title track that I took a piss and got myself another beer. A lot of fans seemed to be doing the same.
What's wrong with the RTB title track? Other than the short pseudo-rap section it sounds like most other 90s Rush songs, and a pretty good one IMO.
Didn't like it from the first listen and it didn't grow on me over time. Never liked the rap section, but didn't care for the chorus either. ("Dreamline", "Ghost of a Chance" and a few of the other songs from the album are a lot better.) I guess if I wanted to binge listen Power Windows, Hold Your Fire and Presto I could probably come up with at least one thing as bad as "Roll the Bones", but maybe not. I'm a big fan of Rush and even the mid-80s to early-90s run of albums are still pretty good.
JamesHetfieldsAcneScars
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by JamesHetfieldsAcneScars »

Probably roll the bones thanks to that embarrassing and stupid rap part in the middle. Also nobodys hero, "i knew he was different by his sexuality". So cringy. I couldnt believe they were the same guys from earlier in their career.
VicStelly

Post by VicStelly »

dmbrocker wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:18 am
Ziggy Sawdust wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:46 am I like all of em even Superconductor. I dislike some of the production on the albums like Test For Echo though. Love the 80’s stuff like Power Windows and Signals.
Pretty much my opinion as well. Rush never made a bad song for me, even if the production is kind of lacking on a couple of albums. And 80's new wave-era Rush is actually my favorite era of Rush.
HYF and Presto are my favorites.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

HYF - Presto - RTB is one of the worst career derailments by a successful rock band. They never really recovered.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

VicStelly wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:06 pm
dmbrocker wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:18 am
HYF and Presto are my favorites.
Way underrated albums and better than anything they released between Moving Pics and HYF.
There may be some nostalgia involved as Time Stand Still was the first Rush song I liked and Presto the first Rush album I bought.
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

I have mentioned this previously...

Around this time (1983-1986) I discovered rock... and a few buddies, were COMPLETE Rush nerds.

They were a few of my best friends, but also... nerds in real life... neither got laid, looked a bit geeky and got good grades. I was the school whore, girlfriends galore, etc..

So when I was fully immersed into all that was 80's rock, I was loving Ratt, Crue, Dokken, King Kobra, etc... and they sat around reading liner notes from Neil Peart.

One was a drummer, the other a bassist, and yes the drummer had a 20 piece drum kit and the bassist had a Black Rickenbacher.

I went to at least 2, maybe 3 Rush shows... total sausage fest, and I literally fell asleep as they were in awe.

1 of the 2 would have eaten Geddy's ass and blew him live on stage if it was offered.

With that... Rush bores me to death and while I will occasionally put on 1 of their records...

But after about 20 minutes and hearing Geddy's goofy shriek of a scream, I am out!

So... I guess... most of their catalog... after a few songs.

$tEvil
kytepunches
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by kytepunches »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:28 pm I have mentioned this previously...

Around this time (1983-1986) I discovered rock... and a few buddies, were COMPLETE Rush nerds.

They were a few of my best friends, but also... nerds in real life... neither got laid, looked a bit geeky and got good grades. I was the school whore, girlfriends galore, etc..

So when I was fully immersed into all that was 80's rock, I was loving Ratt, Crue, Dokken, King Kobra, etc... and they sat around reading liner notes from Neil Peart.

One was a drummer, the other a bassist, and yes the drummer had a 20 piece drum kit and the bassist had a Black Rickenbacher.

I went to at least 2, maybe 3 Rush shows... total sausage fest, and I literally fell asleep as they were in awe.

1 of the 2 would have eaten Geddy's ass and blew him live on stage if it was offered.

With that... Rush bores me to death and while I will occasionally put on 1 of their records...

But after about 20 minutes and hearing Geddy's goofy shriek of a scream, I am out!

So... I guess... most of their catalog... after a few songs.

$tEvil
Such blasphemous speech could get you barred entry from Canada for life.