Twisted Sister vs KIX

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Tommy2Tone84
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Twisted Sister vs KIX

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

These two east coast bands had very similar careers and arch’s. TS had the
bigger hit single but they both formed in the 70s, slugged it out in clubs and had
some moderate success in the 80s.

Why is KIX, who released a string of very mediocre albums
in the 80s so highly praised around here while TS gets ridiculed? Is it their differences
in image and approach? Public personalities? Neither band had a group full of top
tier musicians. What gives?
Ozzy Stradlin
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: Twisted Sister vs KIX

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

I don’t think that they sounded similar at all.

I like Kix much better for three simple reasons: they had better songs, Whiteman was a much better singer than Dee, & the rest of Kix were better musicians - particularly their guitarists.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

And they could groove - they were tight. TS kinda plodded. They didn't have to dress like clowns either.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Tbey're both good, IMO, though TS were definitely the more cartoonish and "old school metal" of the two, whereas Kix had the AC/DC groove to them.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Ozzy Stradlin wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:41 am I don’t think that they sounded similar at all.

I like Kix much better for three simple reasons: they had better songs, Whiteman was a much better singer than Dee, & the rest of Kix were better musicians - particularly their guitarists.
I concur. I like pretty much all of kix's albums except the last one.

When it comes to twisted sister, i only like about several songs.

They are from the same genre but don't sound that alike imo.

Twisted sister were more popular and famous though.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
BulletProofPoet

Post by BulletProofPoet »

I never liked Kix. So it is TS for me.
Brainy Lane
Recording Debut Album

Post by Brainy Lane »

I think KIX is regarded better around here because they don’t talk too much, never seem to complain about their career and show up and play great shows.
They also don’t act like they were bigger then they were.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Brainy Lane wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:16 pm I think KIX is regarded better around here because they don’t talk too much, never seem to complain about their career and show up and play great shows.
They also don’t act like they were bigger then they were.
Their bass player is pretty out there.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Nate S Axel

Post by Nate S Axel »

Ozzy Stradlin wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:41 am I don’t think that they sounded similar at all.

If I had to choose between the two, Kix for those reasons.

Maybe I was born too late to take Twisted Sister and their dopey costumes seriously. Their two songs are cool to hear at a sporting event once in awhile, but that's all I need.
https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life
Vince Neil Eats
Lugging equipment around in parent's car

Post by Vince Neil Eats »

Growing up on Long Island, I was exposed to a lot of Twisted Sister. I’m a big fan, especially of the first two albums. Kix had an excellent three album run once they began writing with outside writers. Tough call…but I am going to have to go with TS.
HoldenSSV
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by HoldenSSV »

TS was too gimmicky for me with the makeup and Neidermeyer videos. The only song I really like is "Wake Up".

Kix just seemed to be more genuine and a bit more talented.
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Vince Neil Eats wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:03 pm Growing up on Long Island, I was exposed to a lot of Twisted Sister. I’m a big fan, especially of the first two albums. Kix had an excellent three album run once they began writing with outside writers.
Disagree. I think their 1st album and BMF are their best.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Discography wise, I don’t find either band to be overly amazing. Cartoon clown shoe show aside, I have to give TS the edge with You Can’t Stop, Stay Hungry and Suckers.

I wanted to love Kix but their albums always fell short for me. I remember rushing out to buy Blow My Fuse on cassette which I still have, and being thoroughly disappointed. They were just as low rent as TS were.
whiteowl yesterday

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

i have 2 twisted sister cds and all of kix's cds so kix for me.
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"
EyeDocOfRock

Post by EyeDocOfRock »

Kix >>>> TS

Widowmaker >>>> TS
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

That's it really. Kix were a better band in every way.
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

Like them both but not a huge fan of either. I'd take Kix between the two, for similar reasons as a lot of the above posters. It's a little tough because the highlights for TS are better. I love Whiteman's voice, and their catalog is more consistent to me. Just good ol' rock and roll, really. They just kinda sound like AC/DC if you're not quite sure if AC/DC is straight.