Bands whose first gigs were at huge venues.

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

aznsquirt
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Bands whose first gigs were at huge venues.

Post by aznsquirt »

The Loverboy thread sent me down a rabbit hole and I discovered that their first ever gig was opening for Kiss at Pacific Coliseum, and their second gig was opening for Foreigner at Madison Square Garden.

Lore was always that Bon Jovi's first gig was opening for ZZ Top at Madison Square, but I'm pretty sure they played at least a club gig or two beforehand.

Any other examples? This is obviously going to be mostly limited to artists who came out of the gate with hype/good management, etc.

I'm thinking mostly rock bands, but I imagine there probably some bands in the manufactured pop star/boy band vein who immediately got sent out on the road opening for a big star.
HoldenSSV
Playing at a Friend's Party

Re: Bands whose first gigs were at huge venues.

Post by HoldenSSV »

Autograph opening for Van Halen?
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

After just 2 warmup gigs, WOLFGANG VAN MAMMOTH was playing HERSHEYPark STADIUM in HERSHEY Pennsylvania. Thanks, Axl! Thanks, Pops!
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Blind Faith was playing an hour-long set at stadiums and festivals.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
GoodJudge

Post by GoodJudge »

I know there was an article in Kerrang! BITD (late 80s) about some woman whose rich parents booked Hammersmith Odeon for her band's debut show. Unsurprisingly it wasn't very well-attended. Can't recall her name though.
CrankerBait
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by CrankerBait »

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young at Woodstock.
CrankerBait

Post by CrankerBait »

The Band at Winterland. Yes, they were Dylan's band earlier, but this was their first show where they weren't a backing band.
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

I’m pretty sure both Slaughter and Winger were created in the studio.

Slaughter because of VVI.
Winger because of Kip and producer Beau Hill.

And they both opened for Kiss on the Hot in the Shade tour.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
Turner Coates
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Turner Coates »

Hyde Park, London
The rock band Blind Faith, composed of Steve Winwood, Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker and Rick Grech played a small number of gigs in England, Scandinavia and the United States between June and August 1969. The first gig, on 7 June at Hyde Park, London was witnessed by 100,000 fans.

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

CrankerBait wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:52 am Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young at Woodstock.
Their first major public gig was on August 16, 1969, at the Auditorium Theater in Chicago, with Joni Mitchell as their opening act. They mentioned they were going to someplace called Woodstock the next day, but that they had no idea where it was.

eddie lee roth

Post by eddie lee roth »

Turner Coates wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:48 am
CrankerBait wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:52 am Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young at Woodstock.
Their first major public gig was on August 16, 1969, at the Auditorium Theater in Chicago, with Joni Mitchell as their opening act. They mentioned they were going to someplace called Woodstock the next day, but that they had no idea where it was.
There you go again dropping some knowledge.
Turner Coates wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:44 am Hyde Park, London
The rock band Blind Faith, composed of Steve Winwood, Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker and Rick Grech played a small number of gigs in England, Scandinavia and the United States between June and August 1969. The first gig, on 7 June at Hyde Park, London was witnessed by 100,000 fans.
Was that opening for the Stones after Brian Jones had just passed away gig?
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

eddie lee roth wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:28 am Was that opening for the Stones after Brian Jones had just passed away gig?
Blind Faith played Hyde Park about a month before the Stones. It was their big supergroup kickoff gig.
And just think; in those days, before the internet, it was advertised mostly through radio, posters, newspapers, magazines and word of mouth.
Same deal with Woodstock.

Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

GoodJudge wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:47 am I know there was an article in Kerrang! BITD (late 80s) about some woman whose rich parents booked Hammersmith Odeon for her band's debut show. Unsurprisingly it wasn't very well-attended. Can't recall her name though.
Lisa Dominique?
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Love_Industry wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:11 am
GoodJudge wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:47 am I know there was an article in Kerrang! BITD (late 80s) about some woman whose rich parents booked Hammersmith Odeon for her band's debut show. Unsurprisingly it wasn't very well-attended. Can't recall her name though.
Lisa Dominique?
Cant be her. They played all the shitholes. I remember her being in Kerrap! all the time, but never heard the band. Finally saw a vid in the last year or so. Damn, she couldnt sing a note!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJXFjRk33nE
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
eddie lee roth

Post by eddie lee roth »

Turner Coates wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:53 am
eddie lee roth wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:28 am Was that opening for the Stones after Brian Jones had just passed away gig?
Blind Faith played Hyde Park about a month before the Stones. It was their big supergroup kickoff gig.
And just think; in those days, before the internet, it was advertised mostly through radio, posters, newspapers, magazines and word of mouth.
Remember the dead Dixie Chick nobody knew thread?

Wasn’t that when the Bad Company debuted in Austin Texas with ZZ Top story started between us or had they already played back home? Or do I need to lay off the weed?

I think I need to get something to eat I’ve got the munchies.
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

Haha, great replies, guys. There's def going to be a lot of "played a handful of small gigs and then opened for someone huge" stories.

I was actually wondering if anybody's first gig was Woodstock.

I suppose there might be some examples from the pay-to-play Ozzfest era. Nu-metal band forms in the studio, records major label, label immediately pays to have them play the third stage at 3pm at Ozzfest.

And obv a lot of "supergroup" types where the individuals have the hype before the band is even formed.
soulonfire
Headlining Clubs

Post by soulonfire »

Wasn't Santana's first show Woodstock? Or was it just that they played before releasing their first album?
Danzig in the Dark wrote:Roadhead, you are the Jar Jar Binks of Metal Sludge.
ijwthstd
Platinum Artist

Post by ijwthstd »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:23 am I’m pretty sure both Slaughter and Winger were created in the studio.

Slaughter because of VVI.
Winger because of Kip and producer Beau Hill.

And they both opened for Kiss on the Hot in the Shade tour.
Winger's first tour was opening for the Scorpions in 1988 and unless there were any undocumented club shows the first one was at the Peoria Civic Center

https://www.setlist.fm/search?page=3&query=winger+1988
"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

It wasn't their first gig, but I saw Loverboy in the summer of 1980 opening for Cheap Trick, and I think it was their sixth ever live performance. Saw them as openers four more times over the next 2-3 years.
CrankerBait

Post by CrankerBait »

Turner Coates wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:48 am
That's right. I stand corrected.
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

eddie lee roth wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:28 am
There you go again dropping some knowledge.
Seriously, we come here to talk smack and he brings actual historical content. Libraries are for knowledge.
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

Psychobolia.com wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:36 am After just 2 warmup gigs, WOLFGANG VAN MAMMOTH was playing HERSHEYPark STADIUM in HERSHEY Pennsylvania. Thanks, Axl! Thanks, Pops!
There was no more chocolate left after the concert.
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

That joke band assembled around Paul Stanley’s kid that had never done a live show before being shoehorned into the last fifty EOTR dates.

Had Glenn Frey’s kid ever done any shows before he got shoehorned into The Eagles for a feel good story and to legitimise going out on a scab cashgrab tour?

Wolfgunt in 2007 with VH obviously. Bit of a theme here.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

The first Damn Yankees show was probably on that tour with Bad Company.

This thread skews heavily toward supergroups.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Turner Coates wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:53 am
They even threw Under My Thumb into their set.

And yes Woodstock got so crazy that if they didn't open the gates it would've been an even worse disaster.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Manowar's first show was opening for Ted Nugent in 1982. Setlist.fm has their first show at the 5k+ El Paso County Coliseum, it's maybe not 100% the first but it must have been the type of venue Nugent played at the time.
GoodJudge

Post by GoodJudge »

HueyRamone wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:19 am
Lisa Dominique?
Cant be her. They played all the shitholes. I remember her being in Kerrap! all the time, but never heard the band. Finally saw a vid in the last year or so. Damn, she couldnt sing a note!

Not Lisa or anyone you've heard of. It was some no-name band with a trust-fund singer. I'd post it if only I had enough hours to dig through the cupboard that's got all my 80s Kerrang!s in.
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

GoodJudge wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:40 am
HueyRamone wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:19 am

Lisa Dominique?

Not Lisa or anyone you've heard of. It was some no-name band with a trust-fund singer. I'd post it if only I had enough hours to dig through the cupboard that's got all my 80s Kerrang!s in.
Kerrang reviewed it?!?
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

Was just listening to a Leleand Sklar interview. His sixties band, WOLFGANG got Bill Graham as their manager. Their first gig ever was opening for Zeppelin at Winterland.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

My high school band's first gig was in an auditorium. 1500 people.

It was a talent show involving several high schools.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!