Scorpions w/ Uli...if they toured

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Scorpions w/ Uli...if they toured

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

If the Scorpions toured with Uli...no Jabs...and only played the stuff before Lovedrive...would you go see them?

Assuming they advertised it honestly (zero hits or songs people know), what sized venues would they play in Europe? In the US, probably small clubs and bars. Maybe large clubs to small theaters due to the curiosity factor?
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
maninblack
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: Scorpions w/ Uli...if they toured

Post by maninblack »

Uli scorps was the best. Uli lives in Wales in the UK.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

maninblack wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:50 am Uli scorps was the best. Uli lives in Wales in the UK.
Fuck scab Michael Schenker.
Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Two good songs: "Rock You Like a Hurricane" and "Wind of Change." The rest is filler. Overrated filler. No one listens to the Scorpions.

Who is "Uli"?
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

Not a chance. Hated early scorpions. The eras are completely different bands.
I get how you can love either era...but not both
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:59 am Two good songs: "Rock You Like a Hurricane" and "Wind of Change." The rest is filler. Overrated filler. No one listens to the Scorpions.

Who is "Uli"?
Windxof Change I get, it's different even to their other ballads, but how can you like Hurricane and not any of about 30 similar songs they wrote? Big City Nights, Don't Stop at the Top, No One Like You, Loving You Sunday Morning.....
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

I would go, I have a greatest hits CD from their early days so it would be easy to put together a setlist with killer songs methinks.

This would jam-pack Paris' Zénith hall (capacity 6,800).

I think the last Scorps gig here was a the Bercy arena (20,000), but I remember seeing the Scorps in Paris around 12/15 years ago when they played the Zénith, and brought Uli out on stage for a few songs.
jens
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by jens »

Uli did a Tokyo Tapes tour a couple of years ago with a great band, that was enough for me to be honest.
https://www.amazon.com/Tokyo-Tapes-Revi ... B01M241P7P
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Psychobolia.com wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:53 pm I would go, I have a greatest hits CD from their early days so it would be easy to put together a setlist with killer songs methinks.

I think the last Scorps gig here was a the Bercy arena (20,000), but I remember seeing the Scorps in Paris around 12/15 years ago when they played the Zénith, and brought Uli out on stage for a few songs.
No way. If advertised as..."Our songs from the 1970's," this wouldn't draw near that. A set of 70's sounding stuff that sold nothing during the 70's?
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Psychobolia.com
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:52 am
Psychobolia.com wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:53 pm I would go, I have a greatest hits CD from their early days so it would be easy to put together a setlist with killer songs methinks.

No way. If advertised as..."Our songs from the 1970's," this wouldn't draw near that. A set of 70's sounding stuff that sold nothing during the 70's?
They might have to be creative, call it the "Klaus' 75th birthday tour, catch him now before he can't move!" or something, homeboy is starting to get old as fudge, they won't be touring for long.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/scorpions ... al-surgery
GreatWhiteSnake

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Love_Industry wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:42 pm
Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:59 am Two good songs: "Rock You Like a Hurricane" and "Wind of Change." The rest is filler. Overrated filler. No one listens to the Scorpions.

Who is "Uli"?
Windxof Change I get, it's different even to their other ballads, but how can you like Hurricane and not any of about 30 similar songs they wrote? Big City Nights, Don't Stop at the Top, No One Like You, Loving You Sunday Morning.....
Psst, he's goofing on DF...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

GreatWhiteSnake wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:43 am
Love_Industry wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:42 pm

Who is "Uli"?
Psst, he's goofing on DF...
No way. I refuse to believe that.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

No I would not. They only started getting good with lovedrive.

They would play in small theatres for an uli set list.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Ozzy Stradlin

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

pieceofme wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:21 pm No I would not. They only started getting good with lovedrive.
I concur.

As far as I’m concerned, the Scorpions began with Lovedrive & ended with Savage Amusement.
Rocker4Real
Opening Act in Local Bars

Post by Rocker4Real »

Uli turned them into too much of a jam band. That's hard to take mainstream. I do think they should have re-recorded "In Trance" in the 80s. It would have been a hit.
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Rocker4Real wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:35 am Uli turned them into too much of a jam band. That's hard to take mainstream. I do think they should have re-recorded "In Trance" in the 80s. It would have been a hit.
Yep. That's one of the few good tunes they did before Lovedrive.

Amazing that these albums literally sold nothing and they kept a record deal.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
kwf
Headlining Clubs

Post by kwf »

Scorps should've mined those old albums the same way Coverdale did the old Whitesnake lps
Total Package
Bassmaster1984
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Bassmaster1984 »

Nobody in America would give 2 shits.
"You just pick a chord, go twang, and you've got music." Sid Vicious
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

I would absolutely go see it, however, they'd NEVER do it. You're not getting gold toilets on the rider and playing:

Speedy's Coming
Top of the Bill
Life's Like a River
In Trance
Pictured Life
Catch Your Train
Virgin Killer
The Sails of Charon
Steamrock Fever
We'll Burn the Sky

...now that I think about it though, that's a killer fucking set. I'd even pay to see a cover band rip through that, that's a nice hour or so of entertainment.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

Post by El Vampiro Blanco »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:39 am
Rocker4Real wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:35 am Uli turned them into too much of a jam band. That's hard to take mainstream. I do think they should have re-recorded "In Trance" in the 80s. It would have been a hit.
Yep. That's one of the few good tunes they did before Lovedrive.

Amazing that these albums literally sold nothing and they kept a record deal.
First off, in the 70s record labels accepted the first few albums not to sell big and let the band build up a following before they hit bit, but also, I think you're looking at this from an US perspective.
In Europe the band was pretty big for a hard rock band already and was known for giving Schenker to UFO when Schenker was God...
mullet_head
Headlining Clubs

Post by mullet_head »

Anthrax442 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:37 pm I would absolutely go see it, however, they'd NEVER do it. You're not getting gold toilets on the rider and playing:

Speedy's Coming
Top of the Bill
Life's Like a River
In Trance
Pictured Life
Catch Your Train
Virgin Killer
The Sails of Charon
Steamrock Fever
We'll Burn the Sky

...now that I think about it though, that's a killer fucking set.
That is a good set, actually. I even like the order of the songs. We'll Burn the Sky as the finisher - love it.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

kwf wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:46 am Scorps should've mined those old albums the same way Coverdale did the old Whitesnake lps
The difference is Whitesnake was an arena band in the UK and parts of Europe and had minor hits that could have been bigger with a better image and more label push. Scorpions were doing fine in Europe but AFAIK they were not even close to writing hit singles. I can't see "He's a Woman She's a Man" or "Steamrock Fever" blowing up MTV in 1987 even with a Mutt Lange production and Claudia Schiffer dancing on a BMW. Maybe if Klaus Meine dyed his hair blond and put on a suit over a white tee :)

That said, they needed something in the four years between LAFS and Savage Amusement. All they did was World Wide Live and some festival shows, they could indeed have re-recorded some non-Uli early songs to fill the gap.
mullet_head
Headlining Clubs

Post by mullet_head »

Love_Industry wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:37 am
kwf wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:46 am Scorps should've mined those old albums the same way Coverdale did the old Whitesnake lps
I can't see "He's a Woman She's a Man" or "Steamrock Fever" blowing up MTV in 1987 even with a Mutt Lange production and Claudia Schiffer dancing on a BMW.
Claudia Schiffer was still 17 in 1987 so I doubt they'd feature her in a music video being all sexy and shit.

Maybe in a Serge Gainsbourg music video, doing a threesome with him and Charlotte.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

mullet_head wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:23 am
I can't see "He's a Woman She's a Man" or "Steamrock Fever" blowing up MTV in 1987 even with a Mutt Lange production and Claudia Schiffer dancing on a BMW.
Claudia Schiffer was still 17 in 1987 so I doubt they'd feature her in a music video being all sexy and shit.

Maybe in a Serge Gainsbourg music video, doing a threesome with him and Charlotte.
1987 was a different time. A time where Vanessa Paradis, 2+ years younger than Schiffer, had an MTV hit with Joe Le Taxi.
tooth
Recording Debut Album

Post by tooth »

jens wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:04 am Uli did a Tokyo Tapes tour a couple of years ago with a great band, that was enough for me to be honest.
I checked that on your recommendation. Excellent record & yea, that tour would play clubs in the US. Even then it wouldn't sell.
mullet_head
Headlining Clubs

Post by mullet_head »

Love_Industry wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:16 am
mullet_head wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:23 am

1987 was a different time. A time where Vanessa Paradis, 2+ years younger than Schiffer, had an MTV hit with Joe Le Taxi.
The French were going for that Lolita vibe thing back then for sure. Lemon Incest was in the mid 80s if I'm not mistaken.
Still, Paradis wasn't being thrown buckets of ice while prancing around on top of a taxi wearing a wet t-shirt or anything.
jens

Post by jens »

tooth wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:37 am
jens wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:04 am Uli did a Tokyo Tapes tour a couple of years ago with a great band, that was enough for me to be honest.
I checked that on your recommendation. Excellent record & yea, that tour would play clubs in the US. Even then it wouldn't sell.
Didn't sell over here either! Last gig I saw before corona hit was Uli at a movie theatre just around the corner. Worse: he was literally playing the staircase of the local movies, for 10 to 20 paying people. Didn't help that Testament + Exodus + Death Angel were across the street.
People have no taste...
inextrem
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by inextrem »

Of course, in a heartbeat.

Uli's stuff is the way to go, but they would not be able to do justice to that stuff nowadays
GermanKissFan
Opening Act in Local Bars

Post by GermanKissFan »

The difference is Whitesnake was an arena band in the UK and parts of Europe and had minor hits that could have been bigger with a better image and more label push. Scorpions were doing fine in Europe but AFAIK they were not even close to writing hit singles. I can't see "He's a Woman She's a Man" or "Steamrock Fever" blowing up MTV in 1987 even with a Mutt Lange production and Claudia Schiffer dancing on a BMW. Maybe if Klaus Meine dyed his hair blond and put on a suit over a white tee :)

That said, they needed something in the four years between LAFS and Savage Amusement. All they did was World Wide Live and some festival shows, they could indeed have re-recorded some non-Uli early songs to fill the gap.
What hair :D ?