Country

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

keyofgee
Headlining Clubs

Re: Country

Post by keyofgee »

i grew up on old classic country. My grandmother would load the record console up with George Jones, Merle Haggard, Johnny cash, Buck Owens and more and house clean every Sunday. That music is in my DNA. Well, until I hit 12 and got my first KISS album, that and the late night radio was all I listened to.
As far as today's country, my wife listens to WKDQ. Every damn day. " 9 songs in a row" is their spill. If its on for more then two hours the same 20 songs are in rotation and are repeating and no one seems to care. It's one of the largest stations in our market. White country artists trying to half way rap too. Jelly Roll is on there too. His song "save me" is the same guitar as "I got a girl crush". Most of the songs either mention, back roads, drinking, girls, tail gating, a classic country artist name. etc. it is so cookie cutter. They all sound the same. Same format. Verse 1, half chorus. verse 2. full chorus. bridge, brief solo and then chorus out. Stay under 3:30..There are some that stand out. I do like story telling songs. Chris Stapleton is good for one. But, in the end, they all win. They are on the radio and the song writers will keep regurgitating that formula until its dead if its making them money. I cant beat them so I have joined them. Been working with ppl that are professional Nashville songwriters with published work and I am trying to get into that market too with their help. Song writing doesn't have an age limit on it.
RaceFan3
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by RaceFan3 »

Willie's Roadhouse is the best channel on XM.
*I kinda want a new screenname. Seriously. I barely watch racing anymore. :x
wakeandjake
Picking a Band Name

Post by wakeandjake »

my country favs are Chris Janson, HARDY, and Morgan Wallen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O9auND2Xwg
Metal Sludge
The End All Be All

Post by Metal Sludge »

I hate country music with a bloody passion!
I like a few Dolly Parton songs, but mostly songs from her fantastic movies.
The Urban Cowboy tunes grew on me eventually, but when was that? 1980?
Johnny Cash became relevant again when that movie came out in 2000 or so? Nobody listened to Johnny Cash before then, at least not since the 70's.
And I could be wrong, but wasn't he already dead by the time that movie came out?
Yeah, I hate it.
Hellsinkey
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Hellsinkey »

Silentbutdeadly
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by Silentbutdeadly »

BulletProofPoet wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:49 am Turnpike Troubadours, Zach Bryan, Whiskey Myers, American Aquarium, Wade Bowen, Parker McCollum, Reckless Kelly, Randy Rogers, John Moreland and Kolby Cooper to name a few.
This right here! I’ve been way into Texas Country/Red Dirt for about a decade now. Add Shane Smith and the Saints and Cody Jinx to the above list (and remove Kolby Cooper) and you have much of my regular rotation.
uwec95
Headlining Clubs

Post by uwec95 »

I love what some would call alt-country. This would be acts like Isbell, American Aquarium, Tyler Childers, Stapleton, Sturgill Simpson, Lucero, etc. Bro country generally does not appeal to me.
RaceFan3
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by RaceFan3 »

Silentbutdeadly wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:19 pm
BulletProofPoet wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:49 am Turnpike Troubadours, Zach Bryan, Whiskey Myers, American Aquarium, Wade Bowen, Parker McCollum, Reckless Kelly, Randy Rogers, John Moreland and Kolby Cooper to name a few.
This right here! I’ve been way into Texas Country/Red Dirt for about a decade now. Add Shane Smith and the Saints and Cody Jinx to the above list (and remove Kolby Cooper) and you have much of my regular rotation.
Absolutely this. Some great artists here. I'd also add Jamie Lin Wilson, Courtney Patton and Jason Eady to the Red Dirt mix.

In the same vein as Turnpike Troubadours, Whiskey Myers and Shane Smith & the Saints and even parts of Blackberry Smoke, I'll add The Steel Woods. Really good band.
Silentbutdeadly
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by Silentbutdeadly »

RaceFan3 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:58 pm
Absolutely this. Some great artists here. I'd also add Jamie Lin Wilson, Courtney Patton and Jason Eady to the Red Dirt mix.

In the same vein as Turnpike Troubadours, Whiskey Myers and Shane Smith & the Saints and even parts of Blackberry Smoke, I'll add The Steel Woods. Really good band.
The Steel Woods are incredible, as is Blackberry Smoke, Whiskey Myers, Turnpike, etc. I lived in Oklahoma City for just over 20 years and heard so many great artists in the Texas Country and similar genres. Many of whom Nashville will barely acknowledge. Shane Smith and the Saints have been grinding for years and years and are finally getting good traction nationally, but many of these bands are 1,500-2,500 cap venue bands with no real radio airplay.
RaceFan3
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by RaceFan3 »

Silentbutdeadly wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:26 pm
RaceFan3 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:58 pm

The Steel Woods are incredible, as is Blackberry Smoke, Whiskey Myers, Turnpike, etc. I lived in Oklahoma City for just over 20 years and heard so many great artists in the Texas Country and similar genres. Many of whom Nashville will barely acknowledge. Shane Smith and the Saints have been grinding for years and years and are finally getting good traction nationally, but many of these bands are 1,500-2,500 cap venue bands with no real radio airplay.
Yeah, same with Blackberry Smoke. People are surprised when I tell them they've been around for more than 20 years. They just never signed on to big labels or sponsors, etc. and prefer to do everything themselves. They've been on some fairly big tours as openers and have gotten some national traction too thanks to some of their songs being on Yellowstone, but they're still at the 1-2K venue/small shed/small arena/festival level and they're perfect for it. They are actually have some dates with the Steel Woods this spring which would be awesome, but they're all in Europe.