The Cars’ “Heartbeat City” released 40 years ago today - Where does this one rank for you?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

The Cars’ “Heartbeat City” released 40 years ago today - Where does this one rank for you?

Post by dmbrocker »

Not a Sludge band, but still a goddamned new wave rock classic. They were fully into the MTV era with the videos for “You Might Think”, “Magic”, “Drive”, “Hello Again”, etc. And the music is just so perfect and polished. Thoughts on this one, Sludgers?
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Playboyliquor59
Recording Debut Album

Re: The Cars’ “Heartbeat City” released 40 years ago today - Where does this one rank for you?

Post by Playboyliquor59 »

Love the sequencing of the songs. Not sure how much input the band had on that but the songs just flows right.
thechefs2003
Forming a Band

Re: The Cars’ “Heartbeat City” released 40 years ago today - Where does this one rank for you?

Post by thechefs2003 »

Great record. Love them! It's a shame they waited 3 years to release a followup, by then the world moved on.
skatexedge
Headlining Clubs

Post by skatexedge »

One of my fave Cars records (right behind Shake It Up!)

It was all over the radio and MTV constantly.😁👍🏽

I was stoked! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Darrien
Headlining Clubs

Post by Darrien »

Playboyliquor59 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:58 am Love the sequencing of the songs. Not sure how much input the band had on that but the songs just flows right.
Agreed! It's a great listen front to back. Probably my favorite record from them, with Candy O close behind.
First record is great but all those songs are kind of played out.
Dayman...fighter of the Nightman..
Venus Flytrap
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Venus Flytrap »

THe right songs with the right producer at the right time.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Perfect album. Just great. Peak Mutt Lange.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Stinky McFister
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by Stinky McFister »

Great but too poopy for me.

Candy O for the win
Nobodyspecial
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by Nobodyspecial »

Great album and Drive is as close to a perfect ballad as you can get!
Hellsinkey
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Hellsinkey »

Very good record, listened to it a lot back in the day.
str
Playing Frat Parties

Post by str »

It's the only Cars album I have
tooth
Recording Debut Album

Post by tooth »

I love pretty much everything The Cars, The New Cars w/Todd Rundgren, Ric Ocasek solo, the Cars songs Ben Orr sings, anything David Robinson played on (The Modern Lovers, DMZ) etc. I recently saw Greg Hawkes playing with local Boston band "Eddie Japan" for a night of Cars music. Lastly, is there a guitarist that did more with the amount of space given than Elliot Easton?
Nate S Axel
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Nate S Axel »

Great album.
https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life