Do you appreciate Nickleback more in 2024

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Rocker4Real
Opening Act in Local Bars

Do you appreciate Nickleback more in 2024

Post by Rocker4Real »

I admit, I was one of those Nickleback haters back in the day. A couple days ago I started singing, "This is how you remind me.." in the shower. They may have been real rockers after all. At least they don't pull out a laptop on stage and have a drummer play along to a track...or do they? Oh well..maybe I should give them a second chance.
Fat_Elvis
Cockblocked by Poison

Re: Do you appreciate Nickleback more in 2024

Post by Fat_Elvis »

I never hated Nickelback and I never understood the hate for them. Commercial hard rock.
diablomozart
Headlining Clubs

Post by diablomozart »

i didn't hate them then...don't even think about them now...d.m.
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

No, generic "rock" that sucks.
ParaDime77
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by ParaDime77 »

One of the biggest hard rock bands since 2000. Album sales and actually speak for itself. Watched the band last October and the show delivers.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
Ozzy Stradlin
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

No.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

Never hated them.

Loved the 2008 album Dark Horse and went from “don’t hate” to “actually kind of like”

Then maybe a decade ago Corey Taylor tried to mock Chad Kroeger, in effect saying that writing hit songs is easy and anyone can do it if all they want is an easy payday. Chad called his bluff: “Oh yeah? Show me. Let’s see you do it. You’ll make a shitload of money and prove me wrong at the same time.”

I’ve had a shitload of respect for that guy and that band ever since. Not my favorite band or anything, but I can’t fuck with that attitude at all and good songs are good songs!

Also really good covers:

https://youtu.be/5FNwN98JH5M?si=WGcb3Lca5sXjcEo-

(Dirty Laundry)

https://youtu.be/qqYiMFQPbWc?si=_ruGyjyYJWGlx0PL

(Sad But True)
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
ijwthstd
Platinum Artist

Post by ijwthstd »

I still not sure if I ever heard Nickelback
"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest
tym
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by tym »

The whole nickleback hate kind of reminds me of long ago, when metal guys and gals would bad mouth and never admit other types of music they liked, like disco, country, Soft pop like the carpenters, the list goes on and on. So yea, when no one was around, metal people would crank the shit out of disco, or country or soft pop stuff.
I'm finding it difficult to masturbate to this. I'm trying, I just have so little to work with...
MattleyCrue

Post by MattleyCrue »

I like a couple songs
LAglamrocker wrote:
Walk in Diesel store Melrose with Ashba gear commands respect, not sure you are allowed in with Walmart gear
fatscott

Post by fatscott »

Worse lyrics than Sammy Hagar. Fuck those clowns.
Nate S Axel

Post by Nate S Axel »

Love 'em... always have. Herd mentality is funny when it comes to "hating" somebody or something just because everybody else does.

I saw them in Vegas last year with Brantley Gilbert. Much better live show than any 80s band today, not even close. Acoustic Trixter... I'll always :lol: :lol: :lol: at that one.

"Hate to Love" is coming to theaters for two days in March! I bought everybody tickets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpvOigy8UR4
https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

ParaDime77 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:24 pm One of the biggest hard rock bands since 2000. Album sales and actually speak for itself. Watched the band last October and the show delivers.
McDonalds sells a lot of hamburgers.
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

Nate S Axel wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:25 pm Love 'em... always have. Herd mentality is funny when it comes to "hating" somebody or something just because everybody else does.

I saw them in Vegas last year with Brantley Gilbert. Much better live show than any 80s band today, not even close. Acoustic Trixter... I'll always :lol: :lol: :lol: at that one.

"Hate to Love" is coming to theaters for two days in March! I bought everybody tickets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpvOigy8UR4
There's nothing to do with "herd mentality", it's people that disagree with you on the quality of their music.
skinni
Having Slaughter Open for You

Post by skinni »

they have some great songs
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

Never cared about them, I only know one song.
EyeDocOfRock

Post by EyeDocOfRock »

Nickelback is this generation’s Winger ….

Interpret that however you want …

🤔🤔🤔
Rocker4Real

Post by Rocker4Real »

EyeDocOfRock wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:16 am Nickelback is this generation’s Winger ….

🤔🤔🤔
I hope they have proggy stuff like Rainbow In The Rose. Need to start my deep dive.
VinnieStJohn
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by VinnieStJohn »

I liked their first couple albums, but like many bands they figured out their 'sound' and didn't deviate from it so it all got a little formulaic after a while
steviedoes
Recording Debut Album

Post by steviedoes »

I don't like them. I don't care enough to hate them. Biggest issue is that I don't care for Chad's voice. So I don't listen to them.
New Fuzzruckus single "I Never Liked You The Way You Thought I Did" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkS904a ... t1cw%3D%3D
Shinerrox
Buying Cool Stage Clothes

Post by Shinerrox »

They played to 75K+ last night here in Houston. Granted it was a post rodeo performance but that's kind of impressive. Apparently someone likes them..
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

I always loved "This is How You Remind Me". I love that little drum fill right when the drums kick in.

I still like that song but Photograph and Rockstar are so damn retarded, my IQ is dropping just writing this!
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
dweezil

Post by dweezil »

VinnieStJohn wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:12 am I liked their first couple albums, but like many bands they figured out their 'sound' and didn't deviate from it so it all got a little formulaic after a while
It got VERY formulaic.
It also didn't help that they went from tackling serious subject matter on the first couple records. to becoming a dunderheaded party band (on the rockers) / the new Michael Bolton for the 2000's (on the ballads) who took themselves too seriously.
Almost as if to say "Rockstar" was them saying "SEE???!!! We can be silly too!"
You can listen to my two albums here.... Sludge away, fuckers!

http://easeintothenoise.bandcamp.com
CrankerBait
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by CrankerBait »

I'm not a big fan - they have a handful of decent songs, a couple of which probably qualify as classics - but almost everybody I know who has seen them live says they deliver a really good show. Loud, fun, lots of pyro, plenty of beer drinking, lots of crowd singing, etc.
Tommy
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Tommy »

I don't hate them, I just think thier genre sucks. It's corporate rock and I find bands like them, Theory of a Dead Man, Shinedown to be boring as fuck.
REO Cokewagon
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by REO Cokewagon »

tym wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:45 pm So yea, when no one was around, metal people would crank the shit out of disco, or country or soft pop stuff.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LocoBenno
Opening for Slaughter

Post by LocoBenno »

I dig their studio output from Long Road thru Here and Now, each album seemed to purvey different life stages and I bought into it - there's the "recovering from trauma" album, "the bad breakup" album, the "I finally found someone but might be holding on too tight" album, the "reflection" album, the "heading off the rails (again)" album....but then things get scattered in terms of theme and focus and I find diminishing returns.

In saying that I've caught them live a few times and they're some of my favourite concerts, they always bring good noise. My wife put her hand up to join me at a show a few years back because I'd invariably have a Nicelback album on at home, because osmosis, and to this day she still insists that we get to the show each time they tour because she had such a good time.
Cheers and beers

Benno

\m/
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

I've never been a huge Nickelback fan, but I remember thinking how good the bass and drums sounded when "How You Remind Me" was all over the radio.

I feel about the same about them now although their consistency over the years is impressive. They're as polished as a band could be and are absolute pros at what they do. Not much else to day.

The hate for them never made any sense to me, it's definitely one of those thing that sort of snowballed culturally. I also remember that any time I would challenge someone on it, you could tell they hadn't actually given it any thought and were just jumping on the cool thing to say.

They'd always get uncomfortable and I could never get a better answer out of anyone besides "LOL NICKELBACK THO" or "they suck and stuff".

Of course there's nothing wrong with not like a band's music, but they're probably the perfect band to hate on if you're just looking for a band to hate.

Meanwhile, they sell a shitton of albums. Maybe it's the musical version of Nixon's Silent Majority.

Has there ever been a band that anywhere near that level of mainstrean "hate"? Only thing that comes off the top of my head was the general hate towards the manufactured pop-act explosion which would always get aimed mostly at Britney Spears with the Backstreet Boys/N'Sync a close second.

Edit: I just loaded up some tracks and am listening to "Too Bad". Pretty generic for sure, but as usual there's some cool shit going on in the rhythm section which always elevates them to me.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

EyeDocOfRock wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:16 am Nickelback is this generation’s Winger ….

🤔🤔🤔

Except for Winger could never headline arenas and while selling respectably for their time, never had the kind of album sales Nickelback had. Nickelback is more like Motley Crue. They’ve sold something like 50 million worldwide

To answer OP, I was never their biggest fan but I never understood all the hate. They are a good band. They’re Canadian and Chad is funny. I should’ve been a bigger fan. They are better than Staind, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Papa Roach, The Used and most of that dreck.
richard cranium
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by richard cranium »

aznsquirt wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:17 am

Has there ever been a band that anywhere near that level of mainstrean "hate"? Only thing that comes off the top of my head was the general hate towards the manufactured pop-act explosion which would always get aimed mostly at Britney Spears with the Backstreet Boys/N'Sync a close second.

Oh yeah back in the late 70's-early 80's all the "corporate" rock bands like Journey, Styx, Boston, Foreigner etc got just slammed in the music press for being awful by people that worshiped Lou Reed and the Replacements as corporate sell-outs.

Nickelback gets the same treatment. The thing is people can't differentiate between "I don't like them" and "they suck." It's ok if you're not into Nickleback. But they don't suck.