Best Debut EP

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Best Debut EP

GNR "Live Like A Suicide"
13%
Ratt "S/T"
34%
Queensryche "S/T"
28%
Twisted Sister "Ruff Cuts"
2%
Great White "Out Of The Night"
5%
Whitesnake "Snakebite"
2%
Bang Tango "Live Injection"
3%
DLR "Crazy From The Heat"
13%
L.A. Guns "Collectors Edition No. 1"
1%
Banshee "Cry In The Night"
1%

Total votes: 118
Marvelous74
Picking a Band Name

Re: Best Debut EP

Post by Marvelous74 »

Glaring omissions:

Wolfsbane ‘Wasted But Dangerous’
Wildhearts ‘Mondo Akimbo A Go-Go’
Hellsinkey
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Hellsinkey »

Ratt out of those
JizzySynatra
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by JizzySynatra »

Probably Queensryche. The EP was better than The Warning. The Ozzy Live EP was not a debut as it came out after the release of Blizzard of Ozz.
Ozzy Stradlin

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

Mother Love Bone - Shine

Kill For Thrills - Commercial Suicide
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

It's probably not the "best", but I've always been a sucker for the Great White EP for some reason.
daveg wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:12 am Just cause you call it an EP doesn't make it an EP.
I mean, I'm genuinely curious to hear if you have any other reasoning for this besides "tunecore says so", and obviously E.P. is one of those things that has been arbitrarily defined many times and sort of evolved into a generic term for "Something more than a single and less than a full album", but this one seems like a tough sell:

- Both recordings meet the RIAA definition of an E.P.

- Both were referred to as E.Ps when they were released.

- The writing on the back of the Soundhouse Tapes Vinyl directly refers to it as an E.P.

- Even if someone wants to get old school pedantic about it, the Soundhouse Tapes was released in the original 7", 45RPM EP format.

- The Ozzy Vinyl is literally named "Live E.P." and has a 12EXP catalog number, which was used to catalog 12" Extended Play releases.
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

aznsquirt wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:57 am It's probably not the "best", but I've always been a sucker for the Great White EP for some reason.
daveg wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:12 am Just cause you call it an EP doesn't make it an EP.
I mean, I'm genuinely curious to hear if you have any other reasoning for this besides "tunecore says so", and obviously E.P. is one of those things that has been arbitrarily defined many times and sort of evolved into a generic term for "Something more than a single and less than a full album", but this one seems like a tough sell:

- The writing on the back of the Soundhouse Tapes Vinyl directly refers to it as an E.P.

- Even if someone wants to get old school pedantic about it, the Soundhouse Tapes was released in the original 7", 45RPM EP format.

- The Ozzy Vinyl is literally named "Live E.P." and has a 12EXP catalog number, which was used to catalog 12" Extended Play releases.
Perhaps I was wrong. Had a friend a very long time ago who was in the business explain it ro me the way tunecore does
3 or less and under 15 mins..single....4 to 8 songs EP.
Always went by that.. was a very long time ago, and obviously there are different ways to define it
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

daveg wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:23 am
Perhaps I was wrong. Had a friend a very long time ago who was in the business explain it ro me the way tunecore does
Always went by that.. was a very long time ago, and obviously there are different ways to define it
There's definitely some major overlap in the 3-song slot.

Singles used to traditionally always be a single song on one side and a single "B-side" track on the other side of the vinyl. At some point people started tossing a third track on to singles, it became a grey area, and the decision to call it one or the other just came down to marketing, I guess.
jens

Post by jens »

kytepunches wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:31 am I would choose the Helloween EP. that thing kicks all kinds of ass.
Good call! Helloween and Mercyful Fate, Sortilege for the ultimate underground gem.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Glad to see Bang Tango's Live Injection on the list. That one's great.

Also liked Name Your Poison by Little Caesar better than the big major label debut that came afterwards.

skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
GoodJudge

Post by GoodJudge »

aznsquirt wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 am
daveg wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:23 am Perhaps I was wrong. Had a friend a very long time ago who was in the business explain it ro me the way tunecore does

Singles used to traditionally always be a single song on one side and a single "B-side" track on the other side of the vinyl. At some point people started tossing a third track on to singles, it became a grey area, and the decision to call it one or the other just came down to marketing, I guess.
This afternoon I was listening to the Statik Majik EP by Cathedral. 4 songs, 40 minutes.
rubysdad
Having Slaughter Open for You

Post by rubysdad »

daveg wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:23 am
aznsquirt wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:57 am It's probably not the "best", but I've always been a sucker for the Great White EP for some reason.

My feeling is that ep’s or extended plays came about with the arrival of 12 inch singles, leaving room for two songs on the b side.
BulletProofPoet

Post by BulletProofPoet »

How does GNR not have more votes? Live like a Suicide told you all you need to know with what was coming with Appetite!

And I’ll admit I vote for Bang Tango - based off Live Injection, I expected them to be much bigger.

Ratt was an easy choice but still surprised it is so far ahead in the voting.
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

rubysdad wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:03 pm My feeling is that ep’s or extended plays came about with the arrival of 12 inch singles, leaving room for two songs on the b side.
Nah, EPs were originally nothing more than a narrower-grooved version of the 7", 45RPM disc that allowed for >7 minutes per side instead of ~4 minutes.
JizzySynatra

Post by JizzySynatra »

BulletProofPoet wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:40 pm How does GNR not have more votes? Live like a Suicide told you all you need to know with what was coming with Appetite!

And I’ll admit I vote for Bang Tango - based off Live Injection, I expected them to be much bigger.

Ratt was an easy choice but still surprised it is so far ahead in the voting.
Probably because it has two cover songs out of four tracks. Queensryche EP is superior to The Warning and the heaviest album they ever recorded so that got my vote easily.
Busch1724
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by Busch1724 »

Not on the list for obvious reasons, but Greta Van Fleet...
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

GoodJudge wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:58 pm
aznsquirt wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 am
daveg wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:23 am Perhaps I was wrong. Had a friend a very long time ago who was in the business explain it ro me the way tunecore does

This afternoon I was listening to the Statik Majik EP by Cathedral. 4 songs, 40 minutes.
Great band. I have a version of Statik Majik/Soul Sacrifice, which is about an hour.
JamesHetfieldsAcneScars
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by JamesHetfieldsAcneScars »

I love the ratt ep. Still listen to it all the time.
alexleehooker
Buying Cool Stage Clothes

Post by alexleehooker »

Live Like a Suicide (GnR)
The Soundhouse Tapes (maiden)
Wasted but Dangerous (wolfsbane)

....to name just 3....there will be more
sirthx2
Doing 10 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by sirthx2 »

Oingo Boingo &
Missing Persons

From the list - Queensryche & Ratt
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
CrankerBait
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by CrankerBait »

Chronic Town by R.E.M. and Come On Pilgrim by the Pixies top my list.

Volume One by the Honeydrippers was also good, but more of a one-off, side project than a true debut.

I liked DLR's Crazy From the Heat when it came out. Now, not so much, but it was a big hit.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:37 am
Also liked Name Your Poison by Little Caesar better than the big major label debut that came afterwards. [/size]
Agree, but their best song was neither on the EP nor the album. "Down to the Wire" on some obscure compilation.
They should make a deluxe remaster that has the s/t album, Name Your Poison and DTTW. Think it all could fit on one cd.
whiteowl yesterday

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

str wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:01 am Pick 2 :

GNR "Live Like A Suicide" -
https://youtube.com/watch?v=FMcvOoBseVk ... cm9zZXM%3D

Ratt -
https://youtube.com/watch?v=9tzbfBEUfKg ... BlcA%3D%3D

Queensryche -
https://youtube.com/watch?v=_aYPQBNk8I8 ... aGUgZXA%3D

Twisted Sister "Ruff Cuts" (I couldn't find a separate link but the tracks are at the end of a reissue of Under The Blade) -
https://youtube.com/watch?v=dux7ApfR1G4 ... 10&pp=8AUB

Great White "Out Of The Night" -
https://youtube.com/watch?v=S0M9UnxE9eE ... xsIGFsYnVt

Whitesnake "Snakebite" -
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPtr ... wYVZfBll7W

Bang Tango "Live Injection" -
https://youtube.com/watch?v=YhOVQGSaYDY ... lvbg%3D%3D

DLR "Crazy From The Heat" -
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5 ... fYwiSLpbHs

L.A. Guns "Collectors Edition No. 1" (the link shows this under a different title) -
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5 ... rA372NnUHE

Banshee "Cry In The Night" -
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5 ... y3h6b9Ogh0

i voted queensryche.
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"
whiteowl yesterday

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

i voted queensrhyche but would've voted for lizzy borden give 'em the axe if that was on the list.
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"