why is "Kashmir" so goddamn awesome?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

alleyrulez
Platinum Artist

why is "Kashmir" so goddamn awesome?

Post by alleyrulez »

for a song that's almost 50 years old, it's held up quite well. revered is more like it.

almost EVERYONE loves the track - from up and coming rappers to otherwise clueless millennials. don't believe me, do a YouTube search for "Led Zeppelin Kashmir Reactions." they ESPECIALLY love the "Celebration Day" version.

while I never put much stock in the whole "they sold their souls to the devil" folklore, I can't think of any other reason why they would be so good at that stage of the game. 😂
Hellbound
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Re: why is "Kashmir" so goddamn awesome?

Post by Hellbound »

alleyrulez wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:24 pm for a song that's almost 50 years old, it's held up quite well. revered is more like it.

almost EVERYONE loves the track - from up and coming rappers to otherwise clueless millennials. don't believe me, do a YouTube search for "Led Zeppelin Kashmir Reactions." they ESPECIALLY love the "Celebration Day" version.

while I never put much stock in the whole "they sold their souls to the devil" folklore, I can't think of any other reason why they would be so good at that stage of the game. 😂

Kashmir is so awesome its made other people do their own Kashmir like songs that are also brilliant like Rainbow's Stargazer.

Blue Murder's Valley of the Kings feels similar as well. Think Bob Rock called Metallica's 'Sad But True' "Kashmir for the 90's"
maninblack
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by maninblack »

Page used Eastern scales on some records, and lots of different tunings.
HottKarl777
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by HottKarl777 »

Because Satan
AlexVonHaig

Post by AlexVonHaig »

I guess if you enjoy plodding songs. Not in my top 100 LZ songs. Great for a bathroom break, even a duece
kytepunches
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by kytepunches »

AlexVonHaig wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:03 am I guess if you enjoy plodding songs. Not in my top 100 LZ songs. Great for a bathroom break, even a duece
You must really hate it , Led Zeppelin only recorded 92 songs. :shock:
CrankerBait
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by CrankerBait »

Hellbound wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:40 pm
alleyrulez wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:24 pm for a song that's almost 50 years old, it's held up quite well. revered is more like it.

Kashmir is so awesome its made other people do their own Kashmir like songs that are also brilliant like Rainbow's Stargazer.

Blue Murder's Valley of the Kings feels similar as well. Think Bob Rock called Metallica's 'Sad But True' "Kashmir for the 90's"
Good examples. I'd add "Perfect Strangers" by Deep Purple to the list. (Great song too, but it owes at least some of its inspiration to "Kashmir", I think.)
Black Stuff
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Black Stuff »

great combination of rock and mid eastern musical themes
The power of Sludge compels you.
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

CrankerBait wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:29 am

Good examples. I'd add "Perfect Strangers" by Deep Purple to the list. (Great song too, but it owes at least some of its inspiration to "Kashmir", I think.)
Judgment Day by Whitesnake, and a Kingdom Come song I can't remember the title of... is it something with Love?

That begs the question - is Kashmir or Black Dog the most ripped off Zep song? (for reference: Kiss - Radar for Love, John Norum - Blind, Whitesnake - Still of the Night...)

By the way the Celebration Day version IS awesome.
kanister
Headlining Clubs

Post by kanister »

CrankerBait wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:29 am

Never thought of that but the PS riff is pretty similar even rhythmically.
Demon Kogure
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by Demon Kogure »

kytepunches wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:41 am
AlexVonHaig wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:03 am I guess if you enjoy plodding songs. Not in my top 100 LZ songs. Great for a bathroom break, even a duece
You must really hate it , Led Zeppelin only recorded 92 songs. :shock:
Quoting this just in case anybody missed one of the funniest posts on this board
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

Old school rapper Schooly D samples Kashmir, I dig it:

https://youtu.be/qj-CIgdU_hM?si=UnJV6Hrz0t5CMBwa
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

The verses on KC's "Get It On" are heavily inspired by "Kashmir". That's another great example.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
MattleyCrue

Post by MattleyCrue »

Not one of my favorite Led Zep songs
LAglamrocker wrote:
Walk in Diesel store Melrose with Ashba gear commands respect, not sure you are allowed in with Walmart gear
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Because strings...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Wiseacre
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Wiseacre »

This is one of the greatest songs of all time.

/all threads ever
Last edited by Wiseacre on Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiseacre
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Wiseacre »

seriously though
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

Bonham’s ‘wait for you’ is another cop
Ryan81
Headlining Clubs

Post by Ryan81 »

It is a competent recording.

I was actually surprised how much of what you're hearing was guitar. I used to think it was just strings with very little to no guitar playing. Then DADGAD came in kicked me in the nuts, took a dump in the corner, and walked out of the room leaving me doubled over in pain. I'll never make that mistake again.

That is why I laugh when people say Zeppelin were nothing but thieves and how they stole from the blues and all that horseshit. That is how the blues works. It's a bunch of people expanding on the songs that the people before them made. So yes, Zeppelin did do that, but much more importantly they came up with masterpieces like Kashmir, Achilles Last Stand, The Battle of Evermore, In The Evening, and so many other amazing songs that who gives a fuck if Whole Lotta Love is similar to some old blues song. Don't even get me started on Taurus or whatever the hell it is called.
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

Ryan81 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:46 am It is a competent recording.

I was actually surprised how much of what you're hearing was guitar. I used to think it was just strings with very little to no guitar playing. Then DADGAD came in kicked me in the nuts, took a dump in the corner, and walked out of the room leaving me doubled over in pain. I'll never make that mistake again.

That is why I laugh when people say Zeppelin were nothing but thieves and how they stole from the blues and all that horseshit. That is how the blues works. It's a bunch of people expanding on the songs that the people before them made. So yes, Zeppelin did do that, but much more importantly they came up with masterpieces like Kashmir, Achilles Last Stand, The Battle of Evermore, In The Evening, and so many other amazing songs that who gives a fuck if Whole Lotta Love is similar to some old blues song. Don't even get me started on Taurus or whatever the hell it is called.
yeah, but understand you’re arguing with people who like the darkness, modern Aerosmith, foo fighters, RHCP, etc.
TeslaFan
Recording Debut Album

Post by TeslaFan »

Just a regular guy who likes Metal
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

DangerZone wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:25 pm Bonham’s ‘wait for you’ is another cop
Yeah, and that's one of the most obvious since Jason's in that band.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
alleyrulez
Platinum Artist

Post by alleyrulez »

Psychobolia.com wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:37 am Old school rapper Schooly D samples Kashmir, I dig it:

https://youtu.be/qj-CIgdU_hM?si=UnJV6Hrz0t5CMBwa
never heard that before, not bad.

but I don't think it's a "sample", looks like he had actual musicians on the track.
dmbrocker

Post by dmbrocker »

Almost forgot about this one: Diddy (back when he was Puff Daddy) and Jimmy Page sampling "Kashmir" on "Come With Me" from the soundtrack to that late 90's Godzilla movie that bombed terribly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrSyrOaoAug&t=2s