ROY CATHEY = UNHAPPY ... I’m watching Gen X crowd request Tribute Bands for cruises designated for original artists

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

ROY CATHEY = UNHAPPY ... I’m watching Gen X crowd request Tribute Bands for cruises designated for original artists

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

Who says these cruises were supposed to be 100% designated to original artists?

Nonsense... there were about 40+ acts on the last few cruises I was on... and 35+ were 100% original artists with a few sprinkled in Tributes, etc..

MAC SABBATH rules... and so do the VAN HALEN and all Girl GN'R tributes... they also have had Comedy, and some Cover Jams with the OG artists involved.

Roy sounds bitter and jealous...

Hi Roy!

Stevie

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roy Cathey laments how Gen X supporting tribute bands while newer original artists are starving

Singer Roy Cathey has been fronting original bands for decades and is apparently feeling quite frustrated with the rise of tribute bands and the lack of support for original artists. Cathey is the frontman for Cold Sweat (who released their debut album Break Out back in 1990 and which featured Keel guitarist Marc Ferrari), The Fifth (since 2001) and SteelCity (who signed with Frontiers Music Srl in the fall of 2023).

The following message was posted on Cathey‘s Facebook page on March 20, 2024:

“When it all dies, we’ll have no one to blame but ourselves. And when it’s gone, it’s gone. That’s right Gen X I’m talking to you. WE were the generation with the BEST MUSIC. WE were the generation that grew up on MTV. Our music was the driving force in everything, right down to our fashion choices and how we wanted to be personally perceived. We MADE the Rock Stars with our support and took unknown bands and turned them into Super Stars. What happened?

The music we love is dying and has been for years now. Why? We stopped creating and cultivating new talent. We stopped seeking out the latest and greatest “new thing” to share with our friends, we stopped. Instead, many chose to just listen to what they’ve always listened to and just stopped caring about the NEXT generation of Rock Stars, but like anything that you want to grow and thrive, if you don’t water it and nurture it, it will die. And THIS is why Tribute Bands have taken over the market. It’s easier to digest something you’ve eaten your entire adult life, it’s harder to expand your palate and explore new flavors.

I slight no one for doing the Tribute thing, I’ve done it, briefly, but when you also are a writer of original music you get very frustrated when you survey the musical landscape of 2024. Original artists are starving. Watching original artists pour their hearts out creating something new and fresh, spending hard earned money and endless amounts of time honing and perfecting their songs only to be paid table scraps and made to feel like we’re lucky to get them…it’s soul crushing. Sooner rather than later these young artists will just give up and stop, and there’s yet another possible “Rock Star” that was not watered, nurtured and given the opportunity to grow as an artist and song writer…GONE.

Now I’m watching the Gen X crowd request Tribute Bands for cruises that were once designated for original artists. These cruises offer very limited and heralded spots for newer up and coming ORIGINAL bands and now these spots are being siphoned away by the very same people that NEVER took the time to discover NEW MUSIC!!! There are 10’s of THOUSANDS of bands out there looking for exposure and that one lucky break, hell, I’m in them. DON’T hand these coveted spots over to Tribute Bands who are already making the bulk of the money AND getting the most bookings. If you’re “cashing in” on the Tribute Train…GOOD FOR YOU, but the overall health and growth of the Original Rock Genre is NOT being giving the love and respect it deserves.

And when it’s gone…it’s gone.

~RC~”

> https://sleazeroxx.com/roy-cathey-lamen ... -starving/

-----------------------------------------

$ludge
Last edited by MetalSludgeCEO on Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Re: ROY CATHEY = UNHAPPY ... I’m watching Gen X crowd request Tribute Bands for cruises designated for original artists

Post by Anthrax442 »

I know you explained it in the post, but my first response was "Who the fuck is Roy Cathey"?

I'm pretty sure I'm more familiar with those "cover" bands than I am Cold Sweat.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
Black Stuff
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Re: ROY CATHEY = UNHAPPY ... I’m watching Gen X crowd request Tribute Bands for cruises designated for original artists

Post by Black Stuff »

There's been some back n forth in the MORC FB page about this. Cruise is about tunes IMO. Could care less if a trib is performing. But wouldnt want a full cruise of tribs. And who is this guy? Larry not letting his band on the boat? Jealous much?
The power of Sludge compels you.
Wednesday 13 Fan
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Wednesday 13 Fan »

Old guy bands need to step up their fucking game or retire. People aren't going to put up with that shit anymore. If you lose your gig to some tribute band, it's a pretty good sign that your career is over.
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Oh boo hoo "Why do people want to hear a full set of Van Halen or ACDC songs played by a tribute band, when they could be hearing a full set of Cold Sweat or Stonebreed songs performed by the songwriters themselves??!
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
Cindy Buzzedimisa

Post by Cindy Buzzedimisa »

I just googled Roy Cathey, read the whole IMDB page and...still have no idea who he is. Never heard of any of his bands nor does he look familiar. So ya this has to be a case of sour grapes. Guess he thought if he persevered long enough he'd get his "turn" but fans just aren't interested.
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

Roy has a band based out NC called The Fifth (they started out more modern rock, but seem to have adopted a more 80's style over the years)............
I have met him briefly a couple times, and he seemed humble and appreciative.
He has a great voice, and brings it live, IMO he's 100% times better than some of the sludge scabs (Andrew "no soul" Freeman from Last In Line, or the bar band clown Darren Smith from Red Dragon Cartel, come to mind).

The Fifth - Starlight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS1atu0SCs8

The Fifth - Shake Little Sister
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEhM1B9uLik
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

Roy thinks I am a "troll".

Enjoy...

-------------------------------

My comment in the SleazeRoxx article!

Stevie Rachelle Tuff
I could NOT disagree with him more... someone is Bitter and Jealous. Hi Roy! ;-)

Roy replied with:
Roy Cathey
Hi Troll :) Bitter and jealous? Hardly. I'm a blessed dude!!! I'll be performing at M3 this year with Cold Sweat, I performed on the KISS Kruise with THE FIFTH recently and was voted on BY the fans, my other project SteelCity just signed with Frontiers Records. Don't worry about me brother, I'm doing just fine ;) Thanks for chiming in though...

I replied back with this:
Stevie Rachelle Tuff
Roy Cathey Troll? Lol. Funny how you work, and how your opinion and friendship changed... like when you knew about my connection to the Red Dragon Cartel guys, and were up my ass asking me to put in a word for you, send them your recordings and more... I have all of those emails, and messages.

You were SO nice, and SO friendly. The same could be said for you acting NICE and FRIENDLY to me at one of the earliest Rock N' Skull events. But, once I exposed certain unfair practices by Justin Murr (RIP to him), and his event... you suddenly took his side, and went nuclear on me, insulting me, and throwing everything but your fists at me in person, which we know would never happen. In the end... everything I printed, was 100% true. Not most of it. ALL of it. 100% true, and everything I predicted, and had inside intel to, all came to fruition, like all of my articles.

As for worrying about you... that doesn't happen Roy... good for you and your band, and your incredible voice... you have that for sure. But you also have a side that is "unhinged"... and I am not the only one to think it. Get ahold of that... it's not good for you, your health, or the others around you.

Stevie

--------------------------------------------

> https://sleazeroxx.com/roy-cathey-lamen ... cx8tcE_NIw

$tEvil
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

Wild Obsession wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:03 am Roy has a band based out NC called The Fifth (they started out more modern rock, but seem to have adopted a more 80's style over the years)............
I have met him briefly a couple times, and he seemed humble and appreciative.
He has a great voice, and brings it live, IMO he's 100% times better than some of the sludge scabs (Andrew "no soul" Freeman from Last In Line, or the bar band clown Darren Smith from Red Dragon Cartel, come to mind).

The Fifth - Starlight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS1atu0SCs8

The Fifth - Shake Little Sister
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEhM1B9uLik

"""""""""""""""IMO he's 100% times better than some of the sludge scabs""""""""""""""

Right... and what does that tell you...?

If a guy is that talented, can sing that good, and brings it live... etc... yet, he's never been asked to step in, or be that replacement guy?

Then, maybe there is an underlying issue... under the hood so to speak, and that "factor" prevents someone from going further... just a thought.

And if you read my comments, I helped Shawn Crosby from Jones Street get his chance with Red Dragon Cartel, but he clearly didn't work when it came down to it.

Roy at the time, was up my ass, my best buddy and more, when he felt I could possibly help him... and make note, before that... I had maybe said 2 words to the guy in the previous 25 years... but at that time... he wanted that opportunity... and saw I might be able to help him.

He was also one of Justin Murr from Rock N' Skull's BFF's... so when I exposed that event, Roy went nuclear on me, and hated me since.

Except for the time I was having breakfast with Bryan Jay of KEEL in Nashville last year, and he came up to BFF Bryan, and since I was there...he played the phony card again.

Now I am a troll. Lol

$tEvil
Last edited by MetalSludgeCEO on Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

Cold Sweat was a good band with the guitarist from Keel.

This guy ain’t wrong.
“Tribute” bands are lame & borderline mental illness.
If there’s a gimmick (Iron Maidens, dred zeppelin) it’s different.
But that’s usually from a comic/ironic angle

and if the troll boot fits…
Nate S Axel

Post by Nate S Axel »

Wednesday 13 Fan wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:57 am Old guy bands need to step up their fucking game or retire. People aren't going to put up with that shit anymore.
https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Back in the 80s you went to the hottest clubs in town on a Saturday night, you heard bands doing 100% cover sets.

And it was fucking great.

I don't know who this guy is. He doesn't matter. In fact I don't really get his point - kids today don't want to hear rock music of any kind of a cruise, they want to hear a DJ spin techno and rap.

MORC is for the 50-and-up-crowd.... we vote with our dollars like anyone else. If a Van Halen tribute gets booked, it's because that's what people want to see.

I just typed this guys name into Youtube - all the results are him doing cover songs. "Don't book tribute bands! Book my original band that plays a shitload of 80s covers!" :roll:
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Funny how it’s never successful artists, who wrote and performed great originals, who have these gripes. Always a D-lister who’s jealous the cover band draws 5x the crowd and $ he does. Here’s an idea… be better, or accept your lot in life.
greengoblinrulz
Headlining Clubs

Post by greengoblinrulz »

In the back n forth between Stevie & Roy, I actually agree with both.
Both are in bands that I like alot & both guys are very confident & outspoken fellas.
No question that a major riff between the 2 is from Rock N Skull promoter Justin, whom Roy was very close with (I was good friends also). Justin definatley got a lil shady on the last couple festivals but I think he was also a good guy who got himself in a bad situation & didnt handle it well. For those that didnt know, he died of Covid during pandemic.
My wish is that festivals & cruises wouldnt do any tribute/cover acts also but guess what, if they do add them I have the choice to not go to them & I dont. My preference is for lower tier bands like Tuff & Cold Sweat but I also have the choice to not attend.
The fanbase has gotten very lazy as we've gotten older for finding new bands but I also completely understand it.
Roy has been mentioned/been very close to securing gigs in high profile bands to lose out at last second. Gotta believe that the boss of those bands doesnt want an incredibly outspoken guy working as a fill in. They want somebody to do the job & stay in the background.
Rocker4Real
Opening Act in Local Bars

Post by Rocker4Real »

I'm a GenXer who likes authentic real Rock. That's why I don't pay for tribute bands.
jens

Post by jens »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:09 am But, once I exposed certain unfair practices by Justin Murr (RIP to him), and his event... you suddenly took his side, and went nuclear on me, insulting me, and throwing everything but your fists at me in person, which we know would never happen.
$tEvil
Aaaaaah so you're blowing up these comments because you have beef with the guy, that explains.
kwf
Headlining Clubs

Post by kwf »

If folks wanted the new groups they'd be requesting them. If no one gives a F about your band then tough shit regarding gigs anywhere
Total Package
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

greengoblinrulz wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:15 am In the back n forth between Stevie & Roy, I actually agree with both.
Both are in bands that I like alot & both guys are very confident & outspoken fellas.
No question that a major riff between the 2 is from Rock N Skull promoter Justin, whom Roy was very close with (I was good friends also). Justin definatley got a lil shady on the last couple festivals but I think he was also a good guy who got himself in a bad situation & didnt handle it well. For those that didnt know, he died of Covid during pandemic.
My wish is that festivals & cruises wouldnt do any tribute/cover acts also but guess what, if they do add them I have the choice to not go to them & I dont. My preference is for lower tier bands like Tuff & Cold Sweat but I also have the choice to not attend.
The fanbase has gotten very lazy as we've gotten older for finding new bands but I also completely understand it.
Roy has been mentioned/been very close to securing gigs in high profile bands to lose out at last second. Gotta believe that the boss of those bands doesnt want an incredibly outspoken guy working as a fill in. They want somebody to do the job & stay in the background.
There can only be so many A listers.
I think his point is that if you keep booking “tributes” to yesterday’s A list, original music dries up and there’s no more chance for a future A-List.
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

The last MORC cruise was SOLD OUT, months in advance.

It was a great time... tons of bands, tons of different styles, bands from the U.S., from Sweden, from Germany, from England and more.

There were mostly 35+ all original rock bands, and yes of course few with all original members, but it's 40+ years later.

There were also a small handful... I recall... 2-3? A VH tribute and a GnR all Female Tribute (Paradise Kitty).

I also know in recent years, they've had Mac Sabbath, WHO RULE, among others.

Roy is bitching about literally 2-3 bands that aren't original... lame.

Then he's yelling garbage like this.... """"""That’s right Gen X I’m talking to you. WE were the generation with the BEST MUSIC. WE were the generation that grew up on MTV. Our music was the driving force in everything, right down to our fashion choices and how we wanted to be personally perceived. We MADE the Rock Stars with our support and took unknown bands and turned them into Super Stars."""""" > https://www.facebook.com/roy.cathey/pos ... ksGNgFQR9l

""""""""Now I’m watching the Gen X crowd request Tribute Bands for cruises that were once designated for original artists. These cruises offer very limited and heralded spots for newer up and coming ORIGINAL bands and now these spots are being siphoned away by the very same people that NEVER took the time to discover NEW MUSIC!!! There are 10’s of THOUSANDS of bands out there looking for exposure and that one lucky break, hell, I’m in them. DON’T hand these coveted spots over to Tribute Bands who are already making the bulk of the money AND getting the most bookings.""""""""""""""

Roy is a Karen... it's like the Cruisers themselves... 3,500 fans on board, and about 10-15 every year, start some stupid threads...

"I can't believe this, H.E.A.T. and Hardcore Superstar are overlapping, this is the MAIN reason I bought this cruise, to see them... now this!"

Then the next comment is how this person doesn't like all these "unknown" bands (to them maybe) from Sweden and Norway, etc... and want the same 25 bands who tour the midwest, 2-3x every year for decades.

"Why are these shows running late? Me and friends, had our whole day mapped out, now the pool stage is not up yet, it's already 1:30... wth?"

You can't win with some of these people...

"I went to see >insert band here< in the Star Lounge and there were so many people up front, I couldn't even see the band!"

And so on.... there are always going to be those who will never be satisfied.

If Larry booked 60 bands, instead of 45... someone would complain then as well!

The same assholes who go to a Buffet, with 50 kinds of food, but they're mad because there is NO Shrimp at the time they went.

Miserable people...

$tEvil
Son_of_Sam_I_Am
I'm an angry, angry boy!

Post by Son_of_Sam_I_Am »

Roy sounds like a bitch, and it's not surprising I've never heard of him.

His cringy rant is reminicent of the type of thing that launched Metal Sludge in the first place: A never-was whose ego is a little too big for his britches. He deserves to be taken down a peg, Sludge-style.
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

yeah, the whole “I’m talking to you young buck!” is cringe.
He should have made his statement and quit instead of doubling down
skinni
Having Slaughter Open for You

Post by skinni »

I still listen to Mark Ferrari's Cold Sweat.

Despite the singing on the record being great, I had no idea who the singer was until this thread.

Based on the above evidence, I fully agree with the assessment that Roy Cathy is a miserable Karen.
the_man_incognito
Headlining Clubs

Post by the_man_incognito »

I know Roy personally..
He may come off as 'humble' (as someone mentioned), but when you get to know him, he's a narcissistic asshole...he's a true lead singer with a huge case of LSD.
He expects the guys in his band (The Fifth) to be loyal to him and not have side projects (though some do), but he's in multiple bands himself...
To the CEOs point of why a guy that had his toe in the major league with Cold Sweat with a great voice, but never asked to become a replacement in some of the 'bigger' 80s bands is because no one wants to put up with his attitude and political opinions..he's a die hard democrat and used to post constantly on his FB page (not sure if he still does)..I unfriended him because I just got tired of see his constant posts...newsflash..no one cares about your political opinion...it just hurts your band...
Ozzy Stradlin

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

I’m friends with him on FB.

I often agree with what he says in his posts.

This particular post in question, I have mixed feelings about. It may be short-sited, and in “get off my lawn” territory, but…it didn’t bother me enough to give it a second thought until I saw it here.

He is a great singer & might well have worked well with Jake E. Lee, but who knows?

He sounds right on the money, here:
https://on.soundcloud.com/R4kKQ3nTXMCYUT65A
Tommy2Tone84
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

the_man_incognito wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:20 pm I know Roy personally..
He may come off as 'humble' (as someone mentioned), but when you get to know him, he's a narcissistic asshole...he's a true lead singer with a huge case of LSD.
He expects the guys in his band (The Fifth) to be loyal to him and not have side projects (though some do), but he's in multiple bands himself...
To the CEOs point of why a guy that had his toe in the major league with Cold Sweat with a great voice, but never asked to become a replacement in some of the 'bigger' 80s bands is because no one wants to put up with his attitude and political opinions..he's a die hard democrat and used to post constantly on his FB page (not sure if he still does)..I unfriended him because I just got tired of see his constant posts...newsflash..no one cares about your political opinion...it just hurts your band...

Do you feel the same way about Kid Rock and Ted Nugent? Did you unfriend them too?

Why do fans get so sensitive when rock musicians or actors have their political opinions? We get to have ours. Why can’t they have theirs? They pay taxes too.
the_man_incognito
Headlining Clubs

Post by the_man_incognito »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:54 pm
the_man_incognito wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:20 pm I know Roy personally..

Do you feel the same way about Kid Rock and Ted Nugent? Did you unfriend them too?

Why do fans get so sensitive when rock musicians or actors have their political opinions? We get to have ours. Why can’t they have theirs? They pay taxes too.
I don't follow KR or TN or famous people for that matter...don't give a shit about their political opinions...
And I said I know Roy so I was a FB friend...but his rants turned me off, so I unfriend him and any one that constantly spews their righteous political opinion...not my thing...
EzyRider
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by EzyRider »

I can see both sides of the coin, being in a tribute band seems like a steady paycheck, some of the local bands around here like Queen Nation have a big following and are always gigging, it's gotta be nice.

I could never do that though, it would drive me nuts to only play other peoples music and not my own. I'm too much of a purist I guess.
It's good to be bad
It's the best time you'll ever have
What the hell is this ultra sad
Pray for your cool and work on that ass!
Kerry67
Recording Debut Album

Post by Kerry67 »

I don't have an issue with tribute bands unless they walk around trying to look and act like them. I was at a venue the other day and the singer from an AC/DC band was there in the crowd and he was trying his hardest to be Brian Johnson. Looked ridiculous.
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

Random Q for the CEO: If you had to sing in a tribute band, what would you pick? (From an enjoyment/passion perspective, setting the financials aka how bookable that band would be).

To the OP, if we ever had a situation where tribute bands are getting booked over the band they tribute, I could start to see his point. But I'm guessing that Mac Sabbath isn't exactly stealing gigs from Ozzy...
Silentbutdeadly
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by Silentbutdeadly »

I guess I don’t get the whole tribute band thing. I mean, I saw DLR in the 80’s. In the context of that era of music and social existence it was a peak experience for a 15-25 y/o.

It’s 40-ish years later now. Why the fuck do people want to watch some guy do a half-assed (in most cases) or even a 3/4 assed (best case scenario) impression of DLR? What about that is attractive to people? Outright mimicry is interesting to people?