Planning out on-stage banter

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Rocker4Real
Recording Your Demo

Planning out on-stage banter

Post by Rocker4Real »

To what extent do you think bands plan out what the singer, and others, are gonna say in between songs? Some bands are known for using the same material at almost every show on certain tours. What bands are most guilty of this? Do you think some of them write it out beforehand?
Black Stuff
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Re: Planning out on-stage banter

Post by Black Stuff »

PI$$

Without a doubt, all planned out since the late 70s. Also DLR in VH
The power of Sludge compels you.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

Always considered this a main difference between a decent frontman and a great frontman/woman.

Most recent example was last month I saw four shows in a row on the Pantera/Lamb Of God tour.

Phil has some pretty standard stage banter every night but also plenty of off the cuff observations and quips. I don’t think anyone disputes he’s one of the greats.

Randy Blythe said the exact. same. things. every single show, including copious use of the word “motherfucker” and even the “motherfuckers” were in the exact same spots every night. Chained to the prompter, as they say in politics.

Fair to say most lead singers pre-plan. I like the ones who aren’t scared to wing it in front of an audience.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

Most of what I say is "off the cuff" spur of the moment... every single moment on stage.

Of course there are few general things to repeat, some general set-up... where the band started, "This song was recorded in" and "From this album", etc...

In short, I am 100% raw from the start, always have been.

$tEvil
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by TooOldToCare »

I feel if everything is planned out (like Paul), it sounds planned out and artificial. Someone that can riff well (off the cuff) gets my respect. Not everyone can. At work, I'm a pretty decent off-the-cuff speaker. When I did vocals and rhythm guitar in a bar band, I sucked at that. Most people aren't paying attention in that setting, so it can be hit or miss if you're talking to anyone at all. That threw me off. I'm sure it's quite different when a crowd is paying to see you.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

Black Stuff wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:38 am PI$$

Without a doubt, all planned out since the late 70s. Also DLR in VH
Dickinson and Halford tend to say more or less the same thing every night too. Ozzy's "let's all go fucking crazy" and "we love you all" are probably not that planned but that's all he's capable to say while trying to remember the songs.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

TooOldToCare wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:12 pm I feel if everything is planned out (like Paul), it sounds planned out and artificial. Someone that can riff well (off the cuff) gets my respect. Not everyone can. At work, I'm a pretty decent off-the-cuff speaker.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by TooOldToCare »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:51 pm
TooOldToCare wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:12 pm I feel if everything is planned out (like Paul), it sounds planned out and artificial. Someone that can riff well (off the cuff) gets my respect. Not everyone can. At work, I'm a pretty decent off-the-cuff speaker.
:D That's what I'm thinking 5 minutes into EVERY meeting.
GoodJudge
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by GoodJudge »

Years ago I read a punk zine article on some big-in-the-locsl-scene band whose setlist included the opening words or gist of every bit of between-song chat. I can't believe they're the only ones, of any size, ever to have done it.
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

When I saw Kreator, Mille's banter seemed pretty damn calculated/rehearsed...same with Blackie Lawless...

I agree that Phil Anselmo is great in terms of just adapting his banter to the moment, the day, the show, whatever random thought is going through his mind... Same goes for Michael Starr (Steel Panther), he always has some witty bullshit to say about Paris or France.
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

I wonder how many times Jack Blades has told me "and the other fine people of (instert name)" that he just got off of the phone with Uncle Ted and he said to tell everyone hello and to play some Damn Yankees.
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
LitaStrauss
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by LitaStrauss »

Back in the day people used to think David Lee Roth would spontaneously come up with stuff. Then if you collected bootlegs, you'd figure out he was saying the same stuff every night, even down to saying somebody was flipping him off/throwing something at him ("don't flip me off, or I'll fuck your girlfriend") or some girl was sticking her tongue out at him ("don't stick your tongue out at me unless you plan to use it"). It was still great stuff at the time, but you'd also realize your city wasn't really the loudest the entire tour as he claimed it was. And now with YouTube, you can really just check out old shows and see how much was used in every city.

I saw both of the Marvelous 3's streaming shows last October, and Butch did almost exactly the same stage banter both nights. Even down to the things that were supposed to sound spontaneous. He pulled it off and as long as it sounds genuine, I guess I don't mind. I do appreciate those that can be truly spontaneous, because improv isn't easy. But not everybody can do that, as I've also seen some frontman try to be spontaneous and fail horribly. So if you need to write it down and plan it out, great. Just put on a good show.
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:27 pm Phil has some pretty standard stage banter every night but also plenty of off the cuff observations and quips. I don’t think anyone disputes he’s one of the greats.
I saw Phil's second show as "Phil Anselmo & The Illegals" in Tulsa. The venue is 2k capacity but for whatever reason there were only 150-200 people in the place.

At one point between songs Phil motioned to the empty room and said, in his toughest sounding voice, "WELL.... LOOKS LIKE THIS WAS A PRETTY SHITTY FUCKIN IDEA" :lol:
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

FreddyFender wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:39 am
SterileEyes1 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:27 pm Phil has some pretty standard stage banter every night but also plenty of off the cuff observations and quips. I don’t think anyone disputes he’s one of the greats.
I saw Phil's second show as "Phil Anselmo & The Illegals" in Tulsa. The venue is 2k capacity but for whatever reason there were only 150-200 people in the place.

At one point between songs Phil motioned to the empty room and said, in his toughest sounding voice, "WELL.... LOOKS LIKE THIS WAS A PRETTY SHITTY FUCKIN IDEA" :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: One of the greats!
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
GoodJudge

Post by GoodJudge »

LitaStrauss wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:35 am It was still great stuff at the time, but you'd also realize your city wasn't really the loudest the entire tour as he claimed it was.
Does anyone over the age of 16, or who's been to more than a handful of gigs, ever believe that? Really? I knew it was schtick before I ever saw a show, from Bruce's crowd talk in Running Free off Live After Death.
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:24 pm Most of what I say is "off the cuff" spur of the moment... every single moment on stage.

Of course there are few general things to repeat, some general set-up... where the band started, "This song was recorded in" and "From this album", etc...

In short, I am 100% raw from the start, always have been.

$tEvil
Yeah it shows.